ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 10th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

I need help!!!

I am a diseased fanatic my friends with no sign of hope.

When I first threw my leg over a motorcycle several years ago I could barely figure out how to start the damn beast let alone ride it, and when I did get the courage to ride it I bit the asphalt hard. Then I learned how to ride one of these two wheeled contraptions and the fear was gone.

At first it was an adrenaline rush every time I got on her, I would ride every day sunny or wet just to get that feeling. It was straight roads at the beginning, and the time I did get the courage to hit some mild twisties I was once again a fish out of water and scared to death even though I was barely banking the bike.

Two bikes later, one of which was a SS bike which fulfilled my straight line speed rush for a time till she was sadly taken away from me. I managed to get back on a 250 thanks to a good friend of mine.

Fast forward to the present, I would consider myself a law abiding rider (mostly) at least in the city and highways. But when I get into the mountains I become some sort of little 250 monster, surely the locals know the howl of that parallel twin by now, that black bike with the jolly roger on the windscreen. My toe sliders are scraped to hell, if I had knee pucks they would be scraped to hell as well, my feeler pegs need replacing. I get a sick thrill whenever I come across a nice cage with a pilot who knows how to tango, a mutual respect if you will.

Where do you go from here? How far down the rabbit hole till **** starts getting real scary? Track days? WERA? Because right now the only thing that gives me my kicks anymore is finding that one sweet path with tight s curves, decreasing Rad turns, and plenty of debris to make things interesting.

Keep it shiny side up people.

Old July 11th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #2
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

i think we all do. lol
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #3
kkim

get thyself to a track.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2010, 03:09 AM   #4
LuxMundi
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R Black

It was straight roads at the beginning, and the time I did get the courage to hit some mild twisties I was once again a fish out of water and scared to death even though I was barely banking the bike.

This is me right now. I just hit 3k miles. How long did it take you to get the twisties bug, and was there a "break through" moment?
LuxMundi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #5
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Quote:
This is me right now. I just hit 3k miles. How long did it take you to get the twisties bug, and was there a "break through" moment?

I cant really guesstimate as far as time, it was probably around the 3k mark or so. I guess the break through moment came after I started trying to focus more on proper posture when leaning the bike, you'll hit that wall at first and not want to lean it any further but after a while you start to lean more and more till scrubbing your boots is no big deal. But take your time and dont override your abilities, track would be much safer too.

Besides Road Atlanta shouldn't be that far of a drive for you.