ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Items Wanted

Old March 30th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #1
yelve
ninjette.org newbie

Name: USA

Motorcycle(s): 99 ninja 250

WTB-rocker arm

anyone have one in good shape laying around? i think i broke one adjusting the valves. (for a 99 ex250)

EDIT: got one. thanks

Last futzed with by yelve; April 4th, 2011 at 11:18 PM.
yelve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #2
kkim

I'm guessing you've already checked online and know they are about $40 each?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 09:39 AM   #3
yelve
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I'm guessing you've already checked online and know they are about $40 each?
yeah i just figured it was likely someone had some sitting around and i could save some money. do you think i should go new? do they wear out? mine broke off one of the wall parts that keeps it from moving side to side off of the valve when i was tightening it.

Old March 31st, 2011, 12:18 PM   #4
kkim

if you can find one with not a lot of miles on it, then yes.

I hope someone has a spare engine around for parts and can help you out, but if not, a new one is just a few bucks away.

gl

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #5
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Ughh I feel your pain, man. I had the SAME exact thing happen to me. I bit the bullet and blew $48 on a brand new rocker arm...

The only thing you should worry about is where the broken piece of the rocker arm went to.... which is most likely somewhere in your engine. I would suggest changing the oil ASAP and check for metal fragments. Hopefully the engine will chew up the broken piece, if your lucky. I have done about 30 or 40 miles on mine since I busted that rocker arm, and she is still running strong, fingers crossed.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one to break a rocker arm during the adjustment.

Best of luck!

Old April 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #6
yelve
ninjette.org newbie

yeah, i just had to order a new one too. When i did it i wasn't thinking and just thought it slipped off so i just slid it back over and zipped her back up. and went for a ride. it had some clicking noise it didn't use to have that clued me in that i did something stupid and had to tear all that back down again. I think when i torque the nuts im gonna try and put a little pressure on the tip of the rocker arm in the opposing direction or put a wrench in there or something so it cant turn.
as far as the piece of metal, i changed the oil and found some little metalic strands in the oil strainer. so hopefully that was it all crushed up and nothing else.