ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 15th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #1
surlistyc
ninjette.org member

Name: surlistyc

Motorcycle(s): 2003 kawasaki ex250

Idle(?) problem?

So in the past few days, I have been having some problems with my bike starting.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...480#post585480

So my friend and I have been working on my bike since 12 P.M and we finally got it to the point of starting. Here's what we did.

First, we rechecked the valves even though we checked them the day before. (Why not?) Everything seemed just fine.

We took out the carbs, (for like the 4th time in the past 4 days) we reset everything to "stock" settings
Bike still didn't start. It sounded better, and that it wanted to start, but still no start.

I had to go to band practice, and my friend stayed behind to work on the bike.

I think all he did while I was gone was let the battery trickle charge, and maybe adjusted the emissions screws.

He got it to run off of a jump from a car battery.

He turned off the bike and let it sit for about 15 minutes and tried to start it again. It didn't. eventually he got it to, but first hitting the ignition without choke, and give it a little throttle, then when nothing happens (throttle still on the whole time) he turned the choke all the way up until it started to rumble. Once it did, he quickly killed the choke and it comes to life.

Now it's been turning on since, and I guess a "true" test is to start it tomorrow when it's dead cold.

The problem lies, when it's idling. It either idles too high (5k) or too little (800-900). I literally turn the idle adjust, the tiniest amount. I mean you'd have to have a microscope to see how little I turn the adjuster screw, and the bike either idles too high, or too low. It smells horribly of gas, (too rich), but I'm not entirely sure that if we adjust the emissions screws, if my bike will even come to life again. I won't be able to mess with it until next weekend. but other than those screws, what could be the problem?

Another thing with the idle, let's say I have the adjuster screw turned the slightest to give it a higher idle, and I blip the throttle. I mean, even pulling the throttle to where you wouldn't think it would respond, it will rise up to 6k then drop to about 3-4 and just sit there, it won't come back down. Now if I did the same thing with the adjuster set to lower the idle, the slightest, I blip the throttle, the same amount, and it will hang at about 3.5k and VERY slowly work it's way down to (800-900)

He's searched all over online, and hasn't been able to find anything about this specific problem. Sorry for the long read guys, and I really appreciate all the help you have given me in the last few months.
surlistyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
There is one (or more) air leak between the carbs and the engine's inlets.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #3
surlistyc
ninjette.org member

Name: surlistyc

Motorcycle(s): 2003 kawasaki ex250

Where/how would I go about testing for air leaks around there?
surlistyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
run the bike and spray some flammable gas like starter fluid or carb cleaner or something near/on the intake boots... not much, you dont want to catch the bike on fire. if there is a leak the gas will be sucked into the intake and you'll hear the engine jump a few rpm (depending on what you sprayed in there) just make sure you dont accidentally get some spray into intake inlet or you'll get false readings (since it's supposed to breath in the intake naturally)

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Lubing the throttle handle and cables is always a good idea.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote