ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old February 12th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #1
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Back Protector inserts

Anyone have any good ce approved back protector jacket inserts that they could recommend???I found a few but would like some input...Teknic KNOX TP2 CE Back Armor, and the A12 5PCs ARMOR Motorcycle Jacket KIT Back Protector...

This is the add from the A12...
These armors are CE marked/approved. Your getting this back protector at a very inexpensive price and direct from the manufacturer. Our customers say that the quality of our products blow out "name brand products". They are manufactured from the highest quality materials with workmanship at its best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A12 Armor back protector.jpg (17.4 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg aTP2-Back.jpg (17.0 KB, 2 views)
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 05:10 PM   #2
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

The Knox transfers 16 kilonewtons (kN) of a 50 kN impact making it a level 1 protector. 18kN or less = CE level 1 back protection rating, 9kN or less = CE level 2 back protection rating. So level 2 is better than level 1.

Here's some quick math=

1 kN = 224.809 Lbs
16 kN = 3,596 Lbs

I would suggest getting a back protector that is rated as a CE level 2. I'm waiting for my Forcefield TPro back insert to arrive which transfers 5.6 kN of the same 50 kN impact.

5.6kN = 1,259 Lbs

Anyway what you want to do is measure your jacket pockets to see what dimension protector is going to fit it. Then you're going to want to decide on what your budget is for this purchase.

I'll tell you right now that Forcefield reputedly makes the best armor around which is why I went with them. They are a little more costly but their armor is also reusable. Meaning if it didn't suffer physical damage you're ready to keep going and it'll still offer the same protection. This makes it a good value as you don't have to replace it in the event of a crash.

I would get the best level of armor protection you can afford.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #3
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

i run an icon vest..saved me once already. well worth the inVESTment

gonna get their undershorts as well...
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #4
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungluck View Post
i run an icon vest..saved me once already. well worth the inVESTment

gonna get their undershorts as well...
You can get a REAL CE rated back insert for less than what you paid for that vest, from a company that cared enough to prove it's effectiveness. Heck, you can get a CE rated back protector for less than that.

I'm not going to rehash CE rated armor vs. non CE rated armor. I would want to know how do you initially decide that a piece of untested "armor" is going to protect you enough to be worth the investment?

Nice pun, BTW.

Old February 13th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #5
ungluck
sleeper

it is CE rated actually. and it was $88 with tax.

alot of people hate on ICon here..doesn't make sense..eitherway..it kept my back from the same route my elbow took..i tested it, it worked lol thank goodness

Last futzed with by ungluck; February 13th, 2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: added pic

Old February 13th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Chris, I like ICON Gear. I have a pair of their riding pants and they are comfortable and waterproof. The stuff they make is more sport bike oriented. Now that I have a sport touring bike, I fall somewhere in the middle.

Before I buy something that is a bit more expensive, I have my wife check it out. She has been a professional canvas person/sailmaker. She gives ICON very high praise. Other brands that she recommends are First Gear and Tourmaster.

Her standard is stitching, quality of the thread, and the fabric or leather.

True, ICON makes some pretty over the top stuff, but it is high quality.

Old February 14th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #7
warlord
ninjette.org guru

No, the Icon Field Armor Vest is not CE rated. Also the quality of the stitching or material is not indicative of whether or not it will protect you in the case of an impact. It might indicate that the item is well made but, that is all.

I don't have an opinion on Icon because I wouldn't buy it as armor since it is not CE rated. To say that the Icon Field Armor Vest will protect you from injury is just and opinion. Sure it'll protect you better than just wearing a t-shirt but will it work better than a proven (tested) item? So my issue again is how do you decide it is worth your money to purchase it vs. an item that has undergone appropriate testing?

Old February 14th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #8
ungluck
sleeper

this is copied formt he site as well as i have the attached flap on my vest:

The Field Armor Stryker vest is at the very heart of the Icon creed. A silhouette that broke with the conventional race derivative dogma and struck out on its own street specific course. Low profile back armor with high profile design. Back protection for tactical riding. The original Field Armor vest set a benchmark in the back protector world - the Stryker ups the ante. The back protector is loaded with d3o intelligent foam and full CE approval, the Field Armor Stryker Vest back armor is designed to take hits you hope will never come. Rock it under your jacket or over a hoody - just wear it. If today is the day that you go down, you want Stryker on your back.

EN 1621-2/03/AC2006 CE APPROVED STRYKER BACK ARMOR
d3o BREATHABLE BACK INSERT, WITH CUSTOM MOLDED ICON GEOMETRY
ARTICULATING INJECTION MOLDED BACK ARMOR WITH AIR FLOW CHANNELS
INJECTION MOLDED CHEST PLATE WITH INTEGRATED AIR INTAKES
VENTED BIOFOAM AND AIRMESH CHASSIS
HYDRADRY MOISTURE WICKING LINER
HIGHLY ADJUSTABLE WAIST AND SHOULDER STRAPS
LOW-PROFILE DESIGN FITS UNDER MOST JACKETS
MIL-SPEC COLORWAYS AVAILABLE MAY 2011

that's enough for me, it has served me well, kept me safe. more than enough for me, especially since i get it for a deal. at 31, and with a bad enough back as is from my years dropping from the sky...i have trusted in it and it has proven well.

what you say about whether or not it will protect, that goes for all armor. regardless of CE certified there is a situation where any armor will not fair ya know?

i used to have inserts from alpinestar..but their prices are quite..well...insane.

Old February 14th, 2011, 01:42 PM   #9
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Thanks for the heads up, that information is not out there on the web (or was I just looking at the wrong item?)

What do you think of the d30 insert? It's an interesting product that I'm very curious about.

Old February 14th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #10
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Of course, wearing any back protector is probably better than not wearing one - CE rating or not.

Old February 14th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #11
ungluck
sleeper

it looks good..when i get a new jacket it was on of the inserts i was pondering. i got a friend who may order one here very shortly..so i was gonna steal his to put my hand son it and check it out...maybe there are some consumer reviews?

Old February 14th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #12
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Lots of gear to choose...I need to go to the local shop and put my hands on some...Great info everyone...The Knox video is also very helpful...

Old February 15th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #13
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

I used to just use an insert in my jacket when riding on the street. After I meet a friend of a friend who got paralyzed after a ~25mph crash, I took out the insert and now I always use a full back protector. I don't know if it would have made a difference for him, but after seeing how his life has changed, its a no brainer for me.

dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #14
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

I pulled the trigger on the knox aegis back protector yesterday, I hope to get it by the end of the week. It is a level 2 CE certified one. Before I was using the alpinestars insert off and on and that thing sucked... Hopefully this will be comfortable under my jacket (cant wait to de-winterize this week!)...

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4157
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #15
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1620 View Post
That thing make my Dainese look wimpy! If you can, post a review, I'd love hear what you think of it.
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #16
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord View Post
I would suggest getting a back protector that is rated as a CE level 2. I'm waiting for my Forcefield TPro back insert to arrive which transfers 5.6 kN of the same 50 kN impact.
+1 on the TPro. Very well made and it's pretty damn substantial. A lot of people swear by Forcefield's inserts in their track riding suits. A plus is that they have 4 different shapes, so you can pick the one that will best fit your jacket: http://www.forcefieldperformance.com...k-inserts/2361
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #17
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
I used to just use an insert in my jacket when riding on the street. After I meet a friend of a friend who got paralyzed after a ~25mph crash, I took out the insert and now I always use a full back protector. I don't know if it would have made a difference for him, but after seeing how his life has changed, its a no brainer for me.

How's that under your jacket after a long day ride...Is it hot??? Do you know it's there???Is it comfortable???Is it a pain to put on to just run to the store???Can I wear it in 100f temperature???

I would love to have something like that, but I'm afraid I will not take the time to put it on for a 2 mile round trip...

Old February 15th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #18
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
I pulled the trigger on the knox aegis back protector yesterday, I hope to get it by the end of the week. It is a level 2 CE certified one. Before I was using the alpinestars insert off and on and that thing sucked... Hopefully this will be comfortable under my jacket (cant wait to de-winterize this week!)...

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4157
it reminds me of legos, but being level 2 CE rated is great! It's about the same price you'd find a TPro back protector for as well.

Old February 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #19
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

The icon vest is only rated level 1 CE.

Do yourself a favor and get one that straps to you and put your jacket on over it. I have the alpinestars bionic back protector rated at level 2 CE and I like it alot, dont even know its on when I ride. Dainese and Knox also make nice ones that are rated at level 2 that strap on to you.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #20
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
I would love to have something like that, but I'm afraid I will not take the time to put it on for a 2 mile round trip...
I don't...which is why I went with a back protector insert. Best protection is the on you wear. I have a knox aegis sitting in my closet collecting dust haha.

Old February 15th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #21
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
That thing make my Dainese look wimpy! If you can, post a review, I'd love hear what you think of it.
Sure, no problem. I will post up a new thread on here with pictures and dimensions once I get it. Hopefully it will be before Friday because it is supposed to be like 65 degrees here

Old February 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #22
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
I don't...which is why I went with a back protector insert. Best protection is the on you wear.
You sold me on that statement...I' going with the Sas-Tec...It looks to be one of the best on the market...It's new technology, and $44 free shipping...

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revi...back-protector

Old February 16th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #23
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
You sold me on that statement...I' going with the Sas-Tec...It looks to be one of the best on the market...It's new technology, and $44 free shipping...

I have that in my mesh jacket. A lot heavier than the foam one that comes with the jacket, but I guess that's expected of any real back protector. It is CE rated 2 while being a soft material.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #24
Flashmonkey

Quote:

Sas tec has good stuff too. Can't go wrong with any of those guys really.

I mean, ideally we'd all be wearing strap on back protectors, but let's face it....when the hell are you actually gonna strap into that thing? I've used my back protector a grand total of 1 time since buying it 2 years ago. All the while I was riding around with that useless piece of foam in the back insert of my jacket...LOL. Screw that...it's better to get an insert so that you at least have a solid minimum amount of protection on you at all times.

Old February 16th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #25
Yasko
Texas Newbie

I'll give a review very soon...Revzilla ships very fast...

Old February 17th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #26
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Just got my Tpro medium sized back insert. It fits my size L Fieldsheer Congo 2.0 textile like a glove.

Old February 17th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #27
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungluck View Post
this is copied formt he site as well as i have the attached flap on my vest:

The Field Armor Stryker vest is at the very heart of the Icon creed. A silhouette that broke with the conventional race derivative dogma and struck out on its own street specific course. Low profile back armor with high profile design. Back protection for tactical riding. The original Field Armor vest set a benchmark in the back protector world - the Stryker ups the ante. The back protector is loaded with d3o intelligent foam and full CE approval, the Field Armor Stryker Vest back armor is designed to take hits you hope will never come. Rock it under your jacket or over a hoody - just wear it. If today is the day that you go down, you want Stryker on your back.

EN 1621-2/03/AC2006 CE APPROVED STRYKER BACK ARMOR
d3o BREATHABLE BACK INSERT, WITH CUSTOM MOLDED ICON GEOMETRY
ARTICULATING INJECTION MOLDED BACK ARMOR WITH AIR FLOW CHANNELS
INJECTION MOLDED CHEST PLATE WITH INTEGRATED AIR INTAKES
VENTED BIOFOAM AND AIRMESH CHASSIS
HYDRADRY MOISTURE WICKING LINER
HIGHLY ADJUSTABLE WAIST AND SHOULDER STRAPS
LOW-PROFILE DESIGN FITS UNDER MOST JACKETS
MIL-SPEC COLORWAYS AVAILABLE MAY 2011

that's enough for me, it has served me well, kept me safe. more than enough for me, especially since i get it for a deal. at 31, and with a bad enough back as is from my years dropping from the sky...i have trusted in it and it has proven well.

what you say about whether or not it will protect, that goes for all armor. regardless of CE certified there is a situation where any armor will not fair ya know?

i used to have inserts from alpinestar..but their prices are quite..well...insane.
Just for clarity, that product description is for the new 2011 model "Stryker Vest" and not for the vest you have pictured in your above post, "Field Armor Vest".
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #28
Ash
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

When I had more funds, I replaced the Icon Field Armor with the Spidi Defender.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...chAutoComplete

Spidi Defender Armor Vest

It's born from the need to protect the chest and the kidneys and from this need the combination of a back protector and a chest protector. Big safety performances together with innovative lightness and comfort, always observing the 2nd level CE rules.

The Warrior technology is based on highly shock absorbing light composite cell materials. The tangible result is a cat. 2 CE certification with an average shock absorbing factor of 9 KN. During certification tests for this kind of protectors, the required value of residual energy must not exceed 18 KN. The residual energy of a Warrior technology based protector is 7.8KN.

Surprisingly light, thin and comfortable, this safety vest redefines the concept of comfort applied at safety equipment.

But it pricier than the Icon Field Armor at $279.95
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #29
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I mean, ideally we'd all be wearing strap on back protectors, but let's face it....when the hell are you actually gonna strap into that thing? I've used my back protector a grand total of 1 time since buying it 2 years ago. All the while I was riding around with that useless piece of foam in the back insert of my jacket...LOL. Screw that...it's better to get an insert so that you at least have a solid minimum amount of protection on you at all times.
So I take it you didn't like the Knox aegis? Is it that uncomfortable? It looked pretty comfortable/compact from the videos I saw but I guess its about personal preference... The insert for my Alpinestars jacket is basically a solid piece of foam with no flexibility. It felt like I had a plank in my jacket, I ended up just leaving it out most of the time. Hopefully this will be better. My Aegis is coming in tomorrow, so I might be able to get some riding in with it sunday weather permitting...

Old February 21st, 2011, 08:59 PM   #30
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Quote:
I'll give a review very soon...Revzilla ships very fast...
Got the back protector today...It's very thick and easy to put in and out of my jackets...It's looks like it will do well in a crash...Flexible but strong on impact...Well worth the $44...

Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM   #31
ungluck
sleeper

this is good stuff, i actually have the new icon stryker vest, late xmas present from the father unit.

the field armor has the same interior tag as the stryker vest for the CE rating.

eitherway..this insert business is very worthwhile. i would like to replace the one in my alpine star, whilst still running my vest underneath.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:41 PM   #32
Yasko
Texas Newbie

I'm thinking about buying another Sas-Tec protector and cutting it up to make custom padding for my jacket...The Sas-Tec blows CE stuff away...

Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:55 AM   #33
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

First time I have seen the Forcefield stuff. I gotta stop looking there or I am gonna spend some money.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:16 PM   #34
Flashmonkey

Quote:
So I take it you didn't like the Knox aegis? Is it that uncomfortable? It looked pretty comfortable/compact from the videos I saw but I guess its about personal preference... The insert for my Alpinestars jacket is basically a solid piece of foam with no flexibility. It felt like I had a plank in my jacket, I ended up just leaving it out most of the time. Hopefully this will be better. My Aegis is coming in tomorrow, so I might be able to get some riding in with it sunday weather permitting...
Sorry for the late reply, Scott. The Aegis is pretty damn comfy, actually. It's a great back protector and Knox really knows how to put quality into their products. The only issue I have with it is that my jackets aren't really sized to accomodate it.

I have a fairly large upper torso as it is, so I usually have to up-size the jackets I buy...up to a point. Depending on the manufacturer I'm usually stuck with either XL or XXL because of the sleeve length. In any case, I'm already filling out the upper portion of the jacket pretty good, and tossing in the Aegis exacerbates the problem to the point where wearing it under my jacket causes me to lose circulation in my arms hahaha. So there's that....

I'm sure you'll be happy with it though...provided it doesn't cause fitment issues with you or your jackets. It's not super super bulky or anything, but it is substantial.

Old February 24th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #35
alexit69
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): Black Ninja 250r

Quote:
I'm thinking about buying another Sas-Tec protector and cutting it up to make custom padding for my jacket...The Sas-Tec blows CE stuff away...
I read on the Revzilla site that the SAS-TEC is about 1 inch thick... that's kinda thick, but does it feel thick and bulky once it's on your back? does your jacket get too tight?

And how does that thickness compare to a Level 2 back protector like the Aegis?

Thanks!
alexit69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #36
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Where would you get stock Sas-Tec stuff? I know we love DIY but it's not that cheap to be cutting that stuff up is it?
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #37
Yasko
Texas Newbie

The pad is right at 1 inch in thickness, but it's very flexible and easy to work with...When its in the jacket it does not fill uncomfortable yet...I'll have to see how it works in the Texas heat...It is by far better than any peace of plastic that you can buy...Check out the video on the link below...

You can buy it from Revzilla for $44...At that price I can afford to cut it for different pads, because of the level of protection is worth it...

Old February 25th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #38
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply, Scott. The Aegis is pretty damn comfy, actually. It's a great back protector and Knox really knows how to put quality into their products. The only issue I have with it is that my jackets aren't really sized to accomodate it. .
Cool, yeah I got my Aegis but only have a few miles on it so far. I like it better than the alpinestars insert I have. Once I have more miles on it I will post up a review. Damn snow ...

Old February 25th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #39
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

The Icon Field Armor Vest is not CE rated. But I have one and I am very confident in it protecting my back if/when I go down. While living in Florida, a rider went down and slid about 10 feet. He had on jeans, helmet, t-shirt, and the Icon vest. He got up with ripped jeans and some small bruises on his arm and leg. His back was fine. He wasn't even sore the next day. Honestly, I think most people get the Icon because of the looks. I got it because it was comfortable, protects back and chest (a little bit), and it proved its worth to me face-to-face.

Go for the CE rated armor. The rating is there for a reason.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #40
Yasko
Texas Newbie

The Sas-Tec is working out very well in 90f so far... That Texas heat was an issue for me, and I think the Sas-Tec in my mesh jacket will work all summer...

This stuff is way better than any level 2 CE on the market... It's very safe, and can be worn all the time... Armor only works when you wear it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg REV_IT_SAS-TEC_Back_Protector_detail.jpg (8.5 KB, 1 views)