ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:35 PM   #1
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Post "Pre-Gen" Woodcraft Clip-Ons

i've had Woodcraft Clip-On's mounted on my 2003 EX for about 3 months and REALLY enjoy what they've done for my riding posture in 'attack formation'.

along with the instructions provided, i also used "Installing Woodcraft lowered risers" from Ninja250Wiki, which included pix of the installation. mounting the clip-on's were pretty straight forward. the woodcraft instructions have you completely remove the stock grips and controls. unless you're changing the grips, i'd leave the throttle grip right where it is! the 'wiki' instructions note possible throttle cable routing and reassembly problems if one isn't careful, but i was ble to slide the whole throttle control body off the old bar by removing the bar end. these can be a &$@$! to remove, and i actually had to drill my mount bolt out to remove the right stock bar end, but the ease it gave me putting the throttle body on the new bar was well worth it, but not completely necessary. the choke cable requires care while removing to ensure proper reinstallation. careful to keep your brake resevoir right side up when removing and replacing....OR buy some DOT 3 in advance...

anti-rotation holes needed to be drilled into each bar to keep controls in place. the 'wiki' directions noted where to measure to get your holes, but these didn't line up for me. by loosely sliding the controls into place and aligning the grip outboard ends where the plastic bar end caps and aluminum bar meet, lined up things perfectly. measure and drill from there..

once the controls were mounted, all that was left was to sit on the bike and orient the bars for fairing and tank clearances. prior to final tightening, i started the bike to make sure choke,throttle and cluth controls were not affected while i transitioned the bars from left to right several times.

with what seems like a few inches removed, riding posture for me is ideal in the twisties certainly. of course that new riding position takes yer body some time to get used to...cuz it seems ya start using muscles you forgot ya had...

i purchased my woodcraft clip-on's online from 1Tail Sportbike and Roadracing Acessories which ran me around $180.00 which includes shipping to the middle of freaking nowhere...

so after a few priority items for the bike have been taken cared of, rearsets to go with them barz are next!

aloha

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?

Last futzed with by komohana; March 8th, 2009 at 02:52 PM.
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM   #2
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

no pics...
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM   #3
komohana

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

damm...

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM   #4
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I was stoked to see some pics of the install. I cried a little on the inside when all I saw was red X's.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

kodakgallery sometimes prevents forums/blogs to link directly to their pics. You may have to download them and upload them here, either just as attachments to this post, or alternatively into your own photo albums here, then linking the pics in the albums to this post.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:50 PM   #6
komohana

yep..thats what i'm using (kodak)...alrighty....working on attaching...crap lol

Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM   #7
komohana

Talking Woodcraft Clip-On's...WITH PIX

i've had Woodcraft Clip-On's mounted on my 2003 EX for about 3 months and REALLY enjoy what they've done for my riding posture in 'attack formation'.

along with the instructions provided, i also used "Installing Woodcraft lowered risers" from Ninja250Wiki, which included pix of the installation. mounting the clip-on's were pretty straight forward. the woodcraft instructions have you completely remove the stock grips and controls. unless you're changing the grips, i'd leave the throttle grip right where it is! the 'wiki' instructions note possible throttle cable routing and reassembly problems if one isn't careful, but i was ble to slide the whole throttle control body off the old bar by removing the bar end. these can be a &$@$! to remove, and i actually had to drill my mount bolt out to remove the right stock bar end, but the ease it gave me putting the throttle body on the new bar was well worth it, but not completely necessary. the choke cable requires care while removing to ensure proper reinstallation. careful to keep your brake resevoir right side up when removing and replacing....OR buy some DOT 3 in advance...

anti-rotation holes needed to be drilled into each bar to keep controls in place. the 'wiki' directions noted where to measure to get your holes, but these didn't line up for me. by loosely sliding the controls into place and aligning the grip outboard ends where the plastic bar end caps and aluminum bar meet, lined up things perfectly. measure and drill from there..

once the controls were mounted, all that was left was to sit on the bike and orient the bars for fairing and tank clearances. prior to final tightening, i started the bike to make sure choke,throttle and cluth controls were not affected while i transitioned the bars from left to right several times.

with what seems like a few inches removed, riding posture for me is ideal in the twisties certainly. of course that new riding position takes yer body some time to get used to...cuz it seems ya start using muscles you forgot ya had...

i purchased my woodcraft clip-on's online from 1Tail Sportbike and Roadracing Acessories which ran me around $180.00 which includes shipping to the middle of freaking nowhere...

so after a few priority items for the bike have been taken cared of, rearsets to go with them barz are next!

aloha

Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:32 PM   #8
kkim

solly... no pics again.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:28 PM   #9
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
solly... no pics again.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:22 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Don't worry Steve, you're not the first hawaiian on this forum to try and find the hardest way to unsuccessfully post pictures on this board.

Check out this link:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5611

It's right at the top of the pictures section of this site, and it lays out in pretty clear detail the few ways you can load pictures to this site. After you read it, feel free to try things here or in the testing forum. If you're thinking you're doing it correctly, and it's just not working, PM me back and I'll let you know where things aren't as they should be.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:24 AM   #11
komohana

clipon01.jpg

clipon05.jpg

clipon04.jpg

clipon03.jpg

clipon02.jpg

clipon06.jpg

Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:25 AM   #12
kkim

Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:28 AM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I do like the look of those...

Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM   #14
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Don't worry Steve, you're not the first hawaiian on this forum to try and find the hardest way to unsuccessfully post pictures on this board.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM   #15
kkim

Yeah, thanks Steve...

After riding your bike, I just had to have some. It's supposed to be delivered today.... hurry up UPS guy!!

Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM   #16
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Yeah, thanks Steve...

After riding your bike, I just had to have some. It's supposed to be delivered today.... hurry up UPS guy!!
excellent!
THEN he can come to my house with my visor ratchet parts so i can scratch my nose w/out trying to shove my fist past my chin...

Old March 8th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #17
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Really considering doing the lowered riser mod. After doing the mod, did you feel like having the woodcraft rearsets is necessary to complete the package?
Posted via Mobile Device
jonb08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #18
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb08 View Post
Really considering doing the lowered riser mod. After doing the mod, did you feel like having the woodcraft rearsets is necessary to complete the package?
Posted via Mobile Device
i had considered rearsets but didn't consider them necessary. i haven't had any corner clearance issues, and that isn't for a lack of trying, but i'm finding my current riding position ample and comfortable. this may not be the case for you. i had rearsets on a larger motorcycle which enhanced the riding position and clearance significantly, but for the 250 and me, the stock pegs are doing just fine for now.

Old March 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #19
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

These really look good and I like the idea, but it sounds like the installation sucks to pull off. More specifically the self measurement of the drilling to mount the controls. How long would you say it took you and how difficult was it? Also, since I'm not very good with mechanical issues, do you think a shop would know what they're doing well enough to get this done?
Verus Cidere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #20
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
These really look good and I like the idea, but it sounds like the installation sucks to pull off. More specifically the self measurement of the drilling to mount the controls. How long would you say it took you and how difficult was it? Also, since I'm not very good with mechanical issues, do you think a shop would know what they're doing well enough to get this done?
aloha and apologies for replying so late.
as i stated in the installation thread, the 'wiki' instructions along with the woodcraft installation directions didn't quite work for me, so what i did was to first determine where in the instrument cluster was the anti-rotation pin located. for the left bar, the pin is just about located in the center, bottom of the control cluster, (thats where choke, turn signal etc buttons are). once i determined where it was i measured from the inboard end of the black plastic woodcraft bar end, (where the outboard end of the handle bar grip would be), to the middle of the cluster. now i was able to do this without fully opening either side cluster by removing the stock bar ends and moving the bar piece in and sliding the bar grips/throttle, levers and clusters off after loosening. that choke cable routing is tricky inside the cluster, and could give anyone problems if you're not careful to note what is what before taking it apart should that be the case. so if you measure grip length and add half the cluster width to that, including any spacing in between, you'll be there! thats what worked for me anyway. if this sounds like too much or you're not sure of your skills, then by all means get some estimates from cycle shops so you'll have some idea of that that'll cost. hope this helps!

Old March 17th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #21
Verus Cidere

Helps a lot! No worries about the slow answer. I've got plenty of time before I have the money to do this anyway! Thanks!

Old March 17th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #22
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Where did you get those brake and clutch levers from? They are very nice.

Old March 17th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #23
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb08 View Post
Where did you get those brake and clutch levers from? They are very nice.
they were already installed on the bike when i got it. was told they were aftermarket but don't know specifics. will find out what i can for ya though!

Old March 18th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #24
Verus Cidere

You can get those levers on ebay. See here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1987-...Q5fAccessories

Old March 18th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #25
komohana

Quote:

thats them! thanx michael

Old March 19th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #26
jonb08
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Nice Find!!

Old March 21st, 2009, 12:36 AM   #27
Verus Cidere

Thanks. I've been watching stuff like that on ebay for quite a while. They've also got a set of chrome levers for our pregens too. I liked the look of chrome ones more personally, but the carbon look ones are pretty nice too.

Old March 13th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #28
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Do they allow you to slide the forks up in the triples even a little bit in order to lower the front end a few mm and change the geometry like standard clipons would? Or do they just change rider positioning?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #29
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Bump. Anyone know?

Old July 21st, 2011, 06:07 AM   #30
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
so seeingas I just bought these and installed them, I can answer my own question in case others are curious. Yes these allow you to drop the front end down on the forks a bit. Only about 5mm, if you combine that with an '08+ rear shock, good things happen in the turn-in department.