ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Old April 15th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #1
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Pros and Cons of a 150 Tire?

Hi folks,

So, I had planned to throw on some Diablo Rosso IIs once I burned through the stock rubber, since I like a grippy tire. However, life plans changed a bit, and now I commute 40 miles round trip on the interstate, and so I hate the idea of burning up a soft sticky tire (quickly!) on boring rides. I'd love a great sport touring tire like I had as options for my Triumph -- Pilot Roads, Pirelli Angels, any of the good dual-compound, long life tires. But of course, to get that for the 300 I'd have to go up to a 150 rear tire.

So here's my question: how much of a disadvantage is it to spoon on an oversized tire? I've read about it 'pinching' a bit and whatnot. What are the cons? Does it hurt handling? Is it less safe in any way? Given that I will have to put a lot of boring interestate miles on my next set of tires, but still want something that warms up into good sticky fun for the mountains, is it worth it to go with a less-perfect fit? It looks like my best option for stock size is actually just to stick with IRC, which I'd rather not do.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Paging @Peanut_EOD. I think he's used a 150 on the rear of the 300
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Paging @Peanut_EOD. I think he's used a 150 on the rear of the 300
Yes I have a 150 rear Pirelli Super Corsa. I just did a track day on my 300 and it did great on that tire. The stock size is 140 so it's only 10mm wider. No pinching. I also use these same tires on my 250 and they do just fine.

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:15 AM   #4
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
There you go Travis. Looks like that extra half an inch wider rim makes a difference.

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #5
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut_EOD View Post
Yes I have a 150 rear Pirelli Super Corsa. I just did a track day on my 300 and it did great on that tire. The stock size is 140 so it's only 10mm wider. No pinching. I also use these same tires on my 250 and they do just fine.
Quote:
There you go Travis. Looks like that extra half an inch wider rim makes a difference.
Nice! Thanks, you two. So Peanut, you see no real disadvantage of going to a 150? With only a 10mm difference, I could just safely shop my favorite tires that come in a 150 size? That sounds awesome, as it really opens up our choices for multi-tasking tires. The prices go up, of course, but those larger, dual compound tires are really incredible in what they deliver.

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

Yep. It gives you a larger selection.

Old April 15th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #7
drac
ninjette.org member

Name: drac

Motorcycle(s): '88 Hurricane 600, '09 Ninja 250

Dual compound sport tourer in just your size.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

Old April 15th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #8
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
.... I'd love a great sport touring tire
....to get that for the 300 I'd have to go up to a 150 rear tire.

Not necessarily. I run a 140 on my 250. Have a look see at this thread

Also look at American Motorcycle Tire for some options.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
pro of a 150 tire vs 140 tire on the same ninja 250? all else being equal? nothing. that said, some rubber only comes in specific sizes.

Old April 15th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #10
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac View Post
Dual compound sport tourer in just your size.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Not necessarily. I run a 140 on my 250. Have a look see at this thread
Yeah, I've considered those BT45s. There are reports of them getting burnt through very quickly, especially for a dual compound tire. Looks like they would be the best bet if I had to stick with 140s. Peanut has me convinced that I can go up without issue though, and the assortment of tires for standard sportbikes is really incredible. Everyone absolutely raves about the Pilot Road 3, so I think I may go that route next. As sticky as really good aggressive rubber in the tight stuff, but is reported to last anywhere between 7 and 12k miles. Way cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
pro of a 150 tire vs 140 tire on the same ninja 250? all else being equal? nothing. that said, some rubber only comes in specific sizes.
Yup, that's the only reason I was interested. No concern at all about the look of a wider tire, no hopes for improved takeoff or any of that. I was just interested if I could get the benefits of higher-end tires without any major down-sides from misfitment. Sounds like the answer is yes.

Old April 15th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Yeah, I've considered those BT45s. There are reports of them getting burnt through very quickly, especially for a dual compound tire. Looks like they would be the best bet if I had to stick with 140s. Peanut has me convinced that I can go up without issue though, and the assortment of tires for standard sportbikes is really incredible. Everyone absolutely raves about the Pilot Road 3, so I think I may go that route next. As sticky as really good aggressive rubber in the tight stuff, but is reported to last anywhere between 7 and 12k miles. Way cool.
Never heard or read those reports about the BT-45's when used for commuting, especially on a lightweight bike.

Keep in mind when you go to a 150, you will go to a radial, which even the dual compound tires can be soft. I know the roads in your area. I grew up there and the roads eat tires. Happy Riding.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #12
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
My pilot road 3s lasted me 5400 miles before the cords started showing but my rossoIIs only last 2900 miles. I've got jiggles old ninja 1000 front tire on the rear of my bike now its working good. Next ill try a stock rear tire from the 300 on my 250 and see if it will go over 10000 miles.

I'm also going to start buying used 120 front race tires when I see them and just toss those on the rear for cheap.

I've tried a wider range of rear tires in the 25000 miles I've riden and race my 250 and the stock bias-ply's sucked compared to all the radias that followed, and all the radial from 120 to 150 felt felt the same for Rojoracing style street riding.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #13
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
My pilot road 3s lasted me 5400 miles before the cords started showing

Old April 15th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #14
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

I went from an IRC 130 to a BT016 or whatever it is 150 and it made the bike feel a bit bigger and less flickable as if I aired down some. Looks a lot better though and there's much more grip but I can't say that all came from the wider tire

Btw BT016s aren't the best off road

Old April 16th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #15
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
I'd be curious to see what other 250 and 300 riders can get out of the pilot road 3s. I know I'm hard on tires but I'd like to know just how much so compared to others.

Old April 16th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #16
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

I'm interested as well. I was thinking about getting those same tires once my stocker's are done for.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #17
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 Concours 14

I slapped a set of the BT016's on as soon as I got my '08, as the tires it came with were flat-spotted and dry-rotted. I haven't noticed any flickability problems, but then my reference points are my previous racebike (a 2002 Honda Superhawk) and my Concours 14. Sticks fine to knee-drag angles on the street, haven't had a chance to get it out on a track yet. No noticeable wear yet, I'd have to go check to see how many miles I'm at but I'd guess between 1-1.5k.

Pros: Radial tires (much larger selection)
Cons: Haven't seen any yet.

Last futzed with by Galaxieman; April 16th, 2013 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Added pros and cons
Galaxieman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #18
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I recommend the Avon AM26 Roadrider. It's probably not as grippy as some other sport touring alternatives, but I got 11k on my rear on my 500 and I ride the s**t out of this thing. Front tire is around 13.5k now, expecting over 20k out of it. Traction wet or dry has never been an issue and like I said I'm a pretty aggressive rider, but I also must succumb to mostly commuting.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #19
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I'd be curious to see what other 250 and 300 riders can get out of the pilot road 3s. I know I'm hard on tires but I'd like to know just how much so compared to others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley813 View Post
I'm interested as well. I was thinking about getting those same tires once my stocker's are done for.
Well in the name of science, then...

It will be a little while, as I can't bring myself to chuck perfectly usable tires. But maybe at my 7500 mile check-up, I'll have 'em throw on some PR3s.

I'll report in once I have data collected and collated.

Old April 17th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
It will be a little while, as I can't bring myself to chuck perfectly usable tires.
Look at it this way: you need a safe, stable, and cheap method of supporting the tank while it's off the bike for service. There's nothing that better fulfills those requirements than the stock tires. Don't think of it as throwing away perfectly usable tires, think of it as re-purposing something in a way it's perfect for!

Plus everyone knows that more tread is always better for holding the tank, so get those things off the bike and replaced ASAP

Old April 17th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #21
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Look at it this way: you need a safe, stable, and cheap method of supporting the tank while it's off the bike for service. There's nothing that better fulfills those requirements than the stock tires. Don't think of it as throwing away perfectly usable tires, think of it as re-purposing something in a way it's perfect for!

Plus everyone knows that more tread is always better for holding the tank, so get those things off the bike and replaced ASAP
You, sir -- I like the way you think!

Old April 17th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #22
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Well in the name of science, then...

It will be a little while, as I can't bring myself to chuck perfectly usable tires. But maybe at my 7500 mile check-up, I'll have 'em throw on some PR3s.

I'll report in once I have data collected and collated.
If it's any consolation I really did like my set of PR3 for both wet riding and beating up on the local fast guys in the canyons. Once winter rolls around again ill be mounting up another set to get me through our short CA winter.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:12 PM   #23
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

The PR3s are so expensive that I keep on looking. I found some amazing deals on the Conti Motion ST tire, 150 rear/110 front. Anyone have any experience with these? It looks like I could get the set for $150 shipped, which seems incredible, as long as they're good tires. But I've never rocked Continentals on any of my bikes.

Opinions?

Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:37 PM   #24
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 Concours 14

Definitely good to ask, especially since some 150's fit fine, and some might pinch due to sidewall / tread shoulder construction. PR3's work per rojo, and I've got BT-016's on mine. Anybody rockin the Conti's? As far as how well they do as a brand, I've heard plenty of good stuff from my sport-touring (Concours/ZX-14/FJR size bikes) buddies both as far as wear and grip.

Old April 25th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #25
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxieman View Post
Definitely good to ask, especially since some 150's fit fine, and some might pinch due to sidewall / tread shoulder construction. PR3's work per rojo, and I've got BT-016's on mine. Anybody rockin the Conti's? As far as how well they do as a brand, I've heard plenty of good stuff from my sport-touring (Concours/ZX-14/FJR size bikes) buddies both as far as wear and grip.
Hmmm. *Crickets* lol.

I'm starting to swing back towards just going with Diablo Rosso IIs for the summer, as I'm hoping to get in a couple track days anyway, and I don't have to commute as often during hte summer months. So maybe I'll put off the expensive tire decision until I burn up a pair of deliciously sticky cheaper tires.

Old April 25th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #26
old3
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

I have Conti supermoto tires in 120/150 on my 300. They work great.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #27
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
I have Conti supermoto tires in 120/150 on my 300. They work great.
Really? Damn, Jim, I might as well just ask you what you've done to your bike and do exactly that. It would be a lot quicker than asking questions to everyone and then realizing that I was gonna' do whatever you do, lol.

Old April 25th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #28
old3
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Haha, just follow my old threads!

Seriously, I have the same Contis on my KTM/Husaberg supermoto wheels and love how sticky they get. I beat the crap out of them on the sumotos and they hold up really well.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #29
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I had a 150 rear when i commuted on the 250 and it was fine. The wider tire made the freeway feel a bit more stable. For the track or for twisties the rosso 2 140 was a damn fine tire that you can get all the way to the edge of the tire.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote