ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 15th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #1
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2007 Lance GS-R 150 (racing modified scooter), 1980 Honda CB750K project

bogging down, help please

So here's how it went down.

I was on my way to school this morning, in the carpool lane doing about 70mph when I noticed my rpm's were a little high for the speed I was going. I didn't think much of it, because I was heading into a 30+ mph headwind. Anyway, a few miles later, and about 25 miles into my ride, the engine just totally bogged down, like I had run/was running out of gas. But I wasn't! I had a half a tank still!!!

Now, I am left with a bike that runs fine, revs fine, even runs good on the stand. But any time I try to run it on the street (i.e. under load) its will be fine to about 20 mph, then just bog down. I still accelerates, but about as hard as a 50cc scooter, though I can still reach higher speeds like in the 60+mph range.

Any ideas? The only things I've done to the bike is a 15 tooth front sprocket about 3 weeks ago (other than maintenance). I'm thinking of just taking it to a mechanic, but I want to see if it might be an easy fix first.

So in summary the symptoms are:
-bogging at speed
-runs fine unless under load

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Travis

Old April 15th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #2
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

I have no clue, but have you checked here?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Troubleshooting

Old April 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #3
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2007 Lance GS-R 150 (racing modified scooter), 1980 Honda CB750K project

Yeah, I checked there first, there wasn't anything on there that was even remotely similar to my problem. Thanks anyway though!

Travis

Old April 15th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #4
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I'm pretty sure that's what Jimi's (KnoxNinja) bike is doing too. I don't think he resolved it yet.

Perhaps the petcock has gone bad...?
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #5
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

It could be the petcock, but it's not very high on my suspect list right now. I'll probably be taking it to a small local mechanic in a few minutes for a diagnosis and possibly/probably to fix it. I can work on my scooter, but I need the bike to badly to be able to tinker with it for a few days. the cage is barely running also, and the scooter just got a rebuild. Seriously, 3 vehicles and none are running good, lol!

Travis

Old April 15th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #6
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingYellowInsanity View Post

So in summary the symptoms are:
-bogging at speed
-runs fine unless under load

Travis
doesn't this mean you're not getting fuel at higher rpm?
just a thought.

my vw did this because fuel pump was going out.

Old April 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #7
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

Name: Angelo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r, black, carbon fiber full exhaust...2000 toyota 4runner

hmmm hoe dopesnt happen to me
ajaygraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #8
kkim

Travis, try filling the tank with gas and see if the problem goes away.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #9
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Do you have an aftermarket fuel filter in-line after petcock??
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #10
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

What have you troubleshooted so far? Switched to prime/reserve, check air intake/filter etc.?
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #11
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Did switch to reserve, still had half a tank of fuel, so I know there's fuel in it. The bike was bought used (with only a few hundred miles), so I'm not sure if there's an aftermarket filter in line. I decided that I need it to badly for school and took it to a reputable shop a few miles from my house to diagnos it, then we'll see if they fix it or if I do depending on what it costs.

Another thought that I just picked up from my scooter forum is that possibly one of the main jets fell out. Someone I know was having a problem almost identical to mine, well in scooter form, and his main jet fell out. It does sound fuel related one way or the other... g'night.

Travis

Old April 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #12
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

If you've ruled out bad fuel, then I suspect you have some kind of debris partially clogging a jet in your carbs.

Old April 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #13
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

seems that the shop thinks it was stuff clogging the cali emissions system, not letting air back into the fuel tank creating a vacuum lock type situation, in addition to getting junk such as carbon from the emissions canister into the carbs and clogging them up somewhat. Should be a couple hundred in labor to fix and then good to go.

Travis