ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 24th, 2019, 05:00 PM   #1
FaceMower
ninjette.org newbie

Name: RK

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Replace Cylinder Head Cover?

TL;DR: Bought a 2013 Ninja 300 and found a puncture in the cylinder head cover. Looking for advice/instructions (Tools/Parts/Processes) on replacement of the cylinder head cover or any other options.

I am a new rider and I picked up a 2013 Ninja 300 with 4,900 for what I thought was a great deal. I took it out a couple times before I did an oil change with no problems. After I changed the oil I took it out a few more times and noticed a lot of oil covering the lower fairing on the right side. My first thought was that I under-tightened or over-tightened the oil filter but it was coming from higher up on the engine. After removing the fairings I noticed it was coming from the cylinder head cover. The previous owner had no-cut frame sliders installed and the brackets line up with the cylinder head covers. I was told it was dropped once and the only damage I noticed when purchasing it was a missing passenger peg and a few scratches. Turns out the frame slider bracket collided with and punctured the cylinder head cover. This puncture was the source of the oil leak.

I am considering replacing the cylinder head cover myself but have basically zero experience with motorcycle engines. I have some experience with basic car mechanics such as changing brake systems, suspensions, and cold air intakes. I have minimal experience assisting friends and relatives in engine and transmission work. Does anyone have experience in this process that could tell me how difficult of a task it is?

I have Kawasaki service manual for the bike but I feel like I might be missing some steps since I have never done work like this before. Does the service manual include everything I need to know? Do I need to drain the oil and siphon the gas before I remove the cylinder head? Do I need to remove the gas tank?

Cylinder Head Cover: Pages 236 - 237
Service Manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/80...age=236#manual

I would also like to know what I will all need to replace besides the cylinder head cover. I know I will need a new cylinder head cover gasket but will I need all new bolts and washers/O-rings? Will I need new plug hole gaskets/pins and a new "VALVE-ASSY-REED" under the "CAP"? I put a link below so you can see what I am talking about.
Exploded View: https://www.kawasakipartshouse.com/o...der-head-cover

My last question was about tools. I believe I have everything I need to complete this replacement but I wanted to know if there was any special tools required? Will I need a compression gauge to check the engine after I install the new cylinder head cover?

I am open to any other suggestions on fixes even if they are temporary. I'll take any videos or links that may help me out. I also uploaded some pictures of the bike. Apologizes for the lengthy post, I wanted to make sure I had everything covered.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side.jpg (100.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190423_234043.jpg (157.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190423_234032.jpg (148.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190423_233931.jpg (158.6 KB, 8 views)
FaceMower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2019, 06:21 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I also posted this on another forum -

I'd probably replace it with a good used one.

No need for a new one, they typically aren't going to wear out or get damaged. Cross-check part numbers, but the 300 valve cover may be the exact same as the "New Gen" 250 valve cover - so they would be a dine-a-dozen and easy to get used. Even if not, there should be plenty of used 300 covers out there.

You gasket should be fine, as it's rubber and reusable.

This video showing valve cover removal is for the 250, but should be the same or very similar -

Link to original page on YouTube.

jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2019, 07:04 AM   #3
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
If you were to research valve clearance inspection in your manual, cover removal will be detailed as its removal is (obviously) required to gain access to accomplish said inspection.

While so convenient, you may want to check those valve clearances anyway.
The factory suggested mileage interval will be listed in the Maintenance Schedule.
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 25th, 2019, 07:14 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Plugs are right there, so it would be a good time to replace them as well.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 25th, 2019, 10:44 AM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Saw a racer fail tech-inspection for this issue.
Guy was on side trying to figure out what to do.
Another tech-inspector came over, took a look at it, and told him, "Duct-tape it!"

That was also their solution couple months earlier when rental U-haul trailer gouged hole in my belly-pan.

Of course, since this is a non-structural part, it can be repaired easily with some light tapping from inside, and TIG torch... or fibreglass... or some pigeons...

Get rid of those sliders too...

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; April 26th, 2019 at 12:29 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2019, 03:36 PM   #6
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Bit late I know, but just rough that area with some sandpaper and then degrease it. Use some liquid metal filler to seal the hole. I have a crack like that in my 250 left case cover. Did the above to it 5 years ago, still going strong, no leaks and dry little couple cost to repair.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2019, 06:35 PM   #7
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZZR250 (EX250H)

theoretically tapping from the inside to straighten it out and gluing on the oudside with a piece of aluminum patch and jbweld should do. The crankcase is under a negative pressure while running so even a ducktape will seal it
SibSerge is offline   Reply With Quote