ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 6th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #1
zenmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Troubleshooting my Ninja

Hey ya'll. So, I bought this 08 ninja with 500 miles on it. Pretty much brand new condition although was never winterized correctly. So I had some basic problems... stalling w/ anything but very slow throttle turn, hesitant and boggy up to 5k revs, uneasy/crazy power surge @ 6k, very slow throttle response in general.

So, I replaced oil, coolant, and fuel, drained float bowls, ran some ethanol free and a bit of sea foam, and the bike improved immensely, now even with wot at idle the bike won't stall, but there is a huge lag before the revs pick up, then they drop slow.

The revs will drop to 2k and hang there for about 10-15 seconds before finally dropping down to idle. Throttle response from idle is still very bad, a quick wide open blip and it hesitates to climb.

Today I removed the snorkel just to see what happens, I believe I was running too lean to begin with so it didnt really help, I think it actually made it worse so I'll be putting the snorkel back on.

What do you guys think I do now? I know a carb clean and possible shim may be in order but I want to exasperate all other options before doing that. maybe tinker with the mixture screws? Ride it for 200 miles or so with the new fuel? please help with any suggestions, thanks.

Old December 6th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Couldn't hurt to check the airbox.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #3
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Sounds like you may need a carb sync.

Old December 6th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #4
zenmike
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Couldn't hurt to check the airbox.
For obstructions? Do you think the problem is not enough fuel in the mixture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Sounds like you may need a carb sync.
You suggest I do it myself?

Old December 6th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #5
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Yeah, I mean, you're down there. Might as well. If it's been sitting chances are it needs to be cleaned a little, anyway. and if it doesn't help, try the carb sync. That's actually a much better idea.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2014, 06:26 PM   #6
garth285
KAWASAKI GURU

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): Turbo Ninja 250

If you took the snorkel off and it became worse then yeah its probably to lean, your adding more air to the mixture so it will run worse.

Sounds like you have a pilot jet clogged. If your able to clean the carbs I'd tackle that first.

You can try to move the air fuel screws out maybe a turn each and see if it improves and then ride the bike for a good while with that good ethanol free fuel and it may clear it out but if you want results right away I'd clean the carbs but I do know its a pain to do so for some.

You can see if the bike runs a little better with the choke on, that will richen up the mixture for you or obstruct the intake and see if it runs any better if so then your running lean and need more fuel and less air.

CLEAN THEM CARBS!
garth285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmike View Post
Hey ya'll. So, I bought this 08 ninja with 500 miles on it. Pretty much brand new condition although was never winterized correctly. So I had some basic problems... stalling w/ anything but very slow throttle turn, hesitant and boggy up to 5k revs, uneasy/crazy power surge @ 6k, very slow throttle response in general.

So, I replaced oil, coolant, and fuel, drained float bowls, ran some ethanol free and a bit of sea foam, and the bike improved immensely, now even with wot at idle the bike won't stall, but there is a huge lag before the revs pick up, then they drop slow.

The revs will drop to 2k and hang there for about 10-15 seconds before finally dropping down to idle. Throttle response from idle is still very bad, a quick wide open blip and it hesitates to climb.

Today I removed the snorkel just to see what happens, I believe I was running too lean to begin with so it didnt really help, I think it actually made it worse so I'll be putting the snorkel back on.

What do you guys think I do now? I know a carb clean and possible shim may be in order but I want to exasperate all other options before doing that. maybe tinker with the mixture screws? Ride it for 200 miles or so with the new fuel? please help with any suggestions, thanks.
Because it wasn't winterized properly, chances are there are deposits in the carb, but the symptoms you described concerning the idle hanging are typical of a vacuum leak - so I would check by spraying carb cleaner around the intake boots to see if you hear a change in idle speed. I would check that first.

If the caps are off of the idle mixture screws, check their current setting, then set them to 2 1/2 turns out as a staring point.

Shimming the needles usually smooths out a lean flat spot as you open the throttle and the slides begin to lift.

A carb sync is also a good idea.

Best to do things one at a time, then check to see if there's an improvement, instead of doing everything all at once - just in case it gets worse instead of better.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 6th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #8
zenmike
ninjette.org member

Thanks for your help guys truly appreciated.

Sunday funday tomorrow, I might pull the carbs
I'll keep you guys posted throughout