ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

aftermarket tire pressure question

i don't have my 250 anymore, but i got a question about aftermarket tire pressure for my bike.

i would think that different motorcycle tire companies may recommend different pressures for their particular tire.

i switched out my tires from metzlers to dunlops. if i don't have the recommended specs, would it be fine if i were to use the oem tire pressure recommendation that is in my owner's manual? the tires are the same ratio as before.

that is what i am currently doing, i am thinking it is ok but i just wanted to make sure. thanks and i hope everyone is doing well.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #2
kkim

when I switched tires on the 250 from stock bias ply to radials, I stayed with the pressures I had settled on when the bias ply tires were on the bike. start there as a base and play with the pressures by a few lbs either way to see how it affects the bike's handling.

good to see you posting.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

thanks kelly. i will do that with my tires then.

seems like "old times". me asking some newbie question and you coming to my aid.

Old April 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #4
kkim

you been riding much? some new members from Hawaii on the board.

Old April 28th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #5
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

i ride about once or twice a week, except for when i am on call. bike is great. it makes me feel like a better rider than i actually am. it just has so much grip with the new tires. still gotta work on some of my lines, especially on those near full-circle on/off ramps.

Old April 28th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #6
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
when I switched tires on the 250 from stock bias ply to radials, I stayed with the pressures I had settled on when the bias ply tires were on the bike. start there as a base and play with the pressures by a few lbs either way to see how it affects the bike's handling.

good to see you posting.
Radials huh, how do they handle? Do they last a bit longer?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2010, 01:24 AM   #7
kkim

just read reports of the bt040s and bt016s... they are radial tires. because they are gripper tires with softer rubber compounds, they wear faster.

the bias ply bt45s that came stock on the bike were great tires as well.

Old April 28th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #8
headshrink

I drank the Sport Demon Kool Aide myself. I like them, so I probably won't try anything else unless I have a really good reason... I'm curious about other tires, but usually like to buy what I know works.... especially when they are $100+ a pop.

Old April 28th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #9
kkim

Komohana has demons on his and he loves them. Just be thankful there are so many good tires to choose from for our bikes. If what you have works for your needs, stick with it and just enjoy the ride.

Last futzed with by kkim; April 28th, 2010 at 01:10 PM.

Old April 28th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #10
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Just be thankful there are so any good tires to choose from for our bikes.
You make a good point here. Being that there are lots of aftermarket companies that do choose to ignore our bikes, we are fotunate to have a selection of really good tires to choose from. I don't have much to compare it to, other than stock, but this is what it looks like to me.

Old April 28th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #11
Thrak
ninjette.org member

Name: None

Motorcycle(s): Lots

Tire pressures are very important. It would be wise to ask your tire vendor, or at least someone at a shop, what pressures are reccommended. The differences can be drastic.

For ex. some Pirelli's like to be over 30psi, while Michelins need to be in the low 20's!
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #12
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
Tire pressures are very important. It would be wise to ask your tire vendor, or at least someone at a shop, what pressures are recommended. The differences can be drastic.

For ex. some Pirelli's like to be over 30psi, while Michelins need to be in the low 20's!
Interesting that you say that.... I have always kept my tires spot on at Kawi's recommended psi (28 & 32psi).... and I am a Nazi about checking it. However, I have felt off and on this past year that sometimes it just doesn't feel right.... it is difficult to articulate, even in my head, but it is somewhat squishy, or mushy... like I am riding in tar-snakes. I'm using Sport Demons. About a week or two ago, I added ~.5 - 1.0 psi. This actually seems to have made my bike happier, and more predictable.

Old April 28th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #13
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

well, after some more hunting on the dunlop website, i found the tire application guide for each specific bike.

turns out that the dunlops recommend the exact same tire pressure as what the owner's manual stated for my stock tires. so, all worked out. i think i will try to experiment a bit though with maybe letting a pound or two of air out and see how that goes.