ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 21st, 2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Name: Trent

Motorcycle(s): 2004 YZF-600r ---- 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Buzzing Noise on Ignition

Everytime I push the ignition switch in to start the bike, all I hear is a buzzing sound from somewhere around the fuse box. It was working fine earlier, since then I flushed the cooling system with water and replaced with new 50/50 coolant, and washed it. To wash it I removed all the fairings, and sprayed a little bit on the bike aswell. Maybe I reconnected the turn signals wrong? Maybe I sprayed something electrical? Or possibly the battery is dead? Any help please?
Avenged7Fold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 09:38 PM   #2
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

Battery's dead or terminals are loose.
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

You probably sprayed water in a place where water should not go. Why did you take off the fairings to wash the bike? They are there to protect the electrical stuff behind them from water and such.

Try jump starting it. That will determine if the battery is dead or not.

Check all the fuses.

It isn't the turn signals.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar250 View Post
Battery's dead or terminals are loose.
I tried to move the terminal wires from the batterys terminals and they can't move so I assume that means they're not loose. Should I just buy a new battery? It was literally just working a few hours ago.

Old April 21st, 2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
You probably sprayed water in a place where water should not go. Why did you take off the fairings to wash the bike? They are there to protect the electrical stuff behind them from water and such.

Try jump starting it. That will determine if the battery is dead or not.

Check all the fuses.

It isn't the turn signals.
I took them off to clean the cooling system, and decided to just wash them while they were off. Then I sprayed down the back fairing (wasn't removed) and the front light. Can I just start it with my car using the same wires, or what?

Old April 21st, 2012, 09:55 PM   #6
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged7Fold View Post
I took them off to clean the cooling system, and decided to just wash them while they were off. Then I sprayed down the back fairing (wasn't removed) and the front light. Can I just start it with my car using the same wires, or what?

Yeah. Just make sure the car is NOT running.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:12 AM   #7
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

So I jump started the bike and rode around for about 10 minutes, it'll start again but will die eventually. Seems like everything is good, right? Just need to either ride long enough for the battery to get a good charge or get a new one.. correct?

Old April 22nd, 2012, 12:37 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
bikez gunna esplode!!!

Old April 22nd, 2012, 06:31 AM   #9
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
all I hear is a buzzing sound from somewhere around the fuse box
The only electrical component on the EX-250 that can make a "buzzing" sound is the main relay, which is just to the left of the fuse box (as you face the right-hand side of the bike).

A relay will make a sizzling/buzzing sound when it's not getting proper voltage (either poor grounding or lack of power). It has a spring-loaded disconnect inside it and that allows its internals to vibrate if the voltage isnt high enough in the relay's control circuit.

But I'm not saying the relay itself is the problem, it is just reacting to improper voltage (either a grounding problem or voltage input problem) which could easily be caused by water in the fusebox.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:25 PM   #10
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
The only electrical component on the EX-250 that can make a "buzzing" sound is the main relay, which is just to the left of the fuse box (as you face the right-hand side of the bike).

A relay will make a sizzling/buzzing sound when it's not getting proper voltage (either poor grounding or lack of power). It has a spring-loaded disconnect inside it and that allows its internals to vibrate if the voltage isnt high enough in the relay's control circuit.

But I'm not saying the relay itself is the problem, it is just reacting to improper voltage (either a grounding problem or voltage input problem) which could easily be caused by water in the fusebox.
But if it starts by jumping it, and then it starts for a couple times after that... but then needs jumped again later.. doesn't that mean the fuse is okay and the battery is just dead?

Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:31 PM   #11
greg737
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged7Fold View Post
But if it starts by jumping it, and then it starts for a couple times after that... but then needs jumped again later.. doesn't that mean the fuse is okay and the battery is just dead?
yeah, like I said, the buzzing of the relay is probably just a symptom of some other problem with either voltage or grounding. Yes, it could be the battery. Does it always make the buzzing noise? Does it buzz when the jumper cables are hooked up to a good battery?

Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
yeah, like I said, the buzzing of the relay is probably just a symptom of some other problem with either voltage or grounding. Yes, it could be the battery. Does it always make the buzzing noise? Does it buzz when the jumper cables are hooked up to a good battery?
When the jumper cables are hooked to the battery, it starts as normal. Otherwise it does make the buzzing.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:24 PM   #13
greg737
-

do you have a multi-meter available to check the battery voltage? You should do that.

also, you should check the bike's main ground to make sure it's secure. It's a small bolt on the back of the right-hand side of the engine (start from the oil sight glass and go up the engine a bit and you'll be looking at it, or follow the battery's negative lead down to the main ground bolt). If the main ground is loose or corroded you should correct that.

Old April 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #14
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Quote:
do you have a multi-meter available to check the battery voltage? You should do that.

also, you should check the bike's main ground to make sure it's secure. It's a small bolt on the back of the right-hand side of the engine (start from the oil sight glass and go up the engine a bit and you'll be looking at it, or follow the battery's negative lead down to the main ground bolt). If the main ground is loose or corroded you should correct that.
Jumped the battery and rode it for an hour, no problems since. Thought it'd post it up now in case anyone is having the same problem.

Old October 5th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #15
rabies
time is running out....

Name: jesse

Motorcycle(s): pregen ninjari

having the same problem.
my battery shoes 13v with multimeter from a friend