Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old February 19th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Arrow How do you U-turn?

Today, a rider on a 600 sport bike was first in the left lane waiting for a traffic light to switch to green (arrow) left.

A car was behind him and I was third in line for a 90 degree left turn.

As soon as the light turned to left (arrow), the sport rider launched forward and then braked and hesitated next while he was trying a U-turn.

The car behind him started moving and almost clipped the tail of the bike when it was at certain angle already.

While I was making my turn, I noticed that he was wide in the turn and too close to a car making a right turn.

How do you U-turn, avoiding these dangers?

http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_9...s/viewall.html
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I tend to like this guy's advice of looking for alternatives.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Bones85
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

A few weeks ago I saw a rider with a passenger duck walking the bike when doing a U-turn. Once he finally managed to turn around he was fine doing 100+ mph in a straight line.
Bones85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I-turn.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
HUGE head turn!!!! The Capt. is awesome!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
ok so I think what most have trouble with durring a U-Turn is actually balancing the bike at low speeds. One of the reasons people have trouble with this is they don't have a steady throttle hand for 4mph, and I'll be honest I don't ether. So as you trying to turn if you give it to much gas then the bike stands up forcing you wide. If you give it to little gas then the engine braking kicks in and the bike drops into the turn causing you to feel like your falling over. It so much easy to make a you turn on a bicycle then a motorcycle and do you know why? It's because a bicycle has no influence coming from the motor. So if you pull in the clutch and perform a U-Turn you remove the motors influence and allow yourself to focus on balance.

The short coming to this trick is your turn radius is per-determined by you entry speed before pulling in the clutch. As you go through the turn you will be scrubbing speed so you will naturally tighten you radius to maintain balance. There's also one other trade off, you should have a steady clutch hand to re-engage the clutch or else if you drop the clutch with the RMPs to low it will act like you stabbed the rear brake and probably cause you to fall to the inside.

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this technique and there's probably a more detailed explanation of it on the web.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Rob1980
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (current) ninja 250r (retired) ninja 500ex (ugly and sold) ducati diavel (coming)

For slow u turns, steady easy throttle. Stay up right and actually steer the bike, while counterbalaned, opposite of high speed turns, ie counter steering and leaning with the bike. And for the real secret, keep a light pressure on the rear brake while turning. Seriously, it helps
Rob1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #8
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I like Capt's head turn.

My trick is shift weight to the outside, then slip the clutch the whole time, drag some rear brake, and it's always smooth. I'm quick at left u-turns. Rights, not so much.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Rob1980
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (current) ninja 250r (retired) ninja 500ex (ugly and sold) ducati diavel (coming)

Hmm

Pretty much exactly what I said . Except I wouldn't slip the clutch..

Old February 20th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #10
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1980 View Post
I wouldn't slip the clutch..
slipping the clutch is smoother than just using the throttle.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
ok so I think what most have trouble with durring a U-Turn is actually balancing the bike at low speeds. One of the reasons people have trouble with this is they don't have a steady throttle hand for 4mph, and I'll be honest I don't ether. So as you trying to turn if you give it to much gas then the bike stands up forcing you wide. If you give it to little gas then the engine braking kicks in and the bike drops into the turn causing you to feel like your falling over. It so much easy to make a you turn on a bicycle then a motorcycle and do you know why? It's because a bicycle has no influence coming from the motor. So if you pull in the clutch and perform a U-Turn you remove the motors influence and allow yourself to focus on balance.

The short coming to this trick is your turn radius is per-determined by you entry speed before pulling in the clutch. As you go through the turn you will be scrubbing speed so you will naturally tighten you radius to maintain balance. There's also one other trade off, you should have a steady clutch hand to re-engage the clutch or else if you drop the clutch with the RMPs to low it will act like you stabbed the rear brake and probably cause you to fall to the inside.

I'm sure I'm not the first to think of this technique and there's probably a more detailed explanation of it on the web.
@Gurk - read this. maybe you'll laugh at yourself afterward. keep in mind jason is former AMA. still want to talk about how you can jump up and down on the bike while you are making a turn at 5mph? and how you don't need any gas? and how your 3mph drop had nothing to do with gas?

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #12
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Set up the turn before you make it. If you are at a light waiting to make the turn, give yourself the best starting angle possible. There may be enough room to smoothly make the turn with minimal inputs during the turn. If necessary I drag the rear brake a bit to tighten the turn.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #13
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
and how your 3mph drop had nothing to do with gas?
zero.

you still fail to mention why he needs to be at 10k and won't be ok with 5-6k where the whole argument started from.
take your head out of your ass.

also don't bring the argument to another thread where someone's trying to gather info. you're far... far down the list of people who i'd take riding advice from. drop your stupid ego and move on.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
did i ever say anything about 10k? or what rpm range you should be in? no.

you said you don't need gas to turn when going slow. i corrected you.

i would give you $20 to see you jumping up and down on your r6 while you make a 10 foot radius turn at 5mph.

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Ride a bunch of different bikes and you just might change your answers. So many factors to consider with other bikes. I can say after riding all kinds of bikes, throttle/engine rpms, the friction zone and rear brakes are your friends. Use em if you need to but don't take to long, a 5 lane intersection is not a good place to be that "slow guy".

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #16
Rob1980
ninjette.org member

I'm not saying you don't have more control with slipping clutch your grip, vrs your wrist... I just don't. I don't have an issue personally with a steady 4mph throttle hand. My only advice was staying up, looking through and rear brakes... If you slip the clutch or not is up to you.., either one, if done wrong will result in a drop...

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

No problem Rob, some riders just have more comfort and control at slow speeds. Your lucky, I come from the old school of HD's and those heavy, low rpm torque beasts had me slipping the clutch to turn tight or uturn. I still slip it on the 250 but I think it's out of habit and "feel good".

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #18
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

With the roads and turns being so narrow where I live, u turns as a technical skill become moot as they are no more than a standard tight turn but coming back on yourself, I easily full lock turn now and confortably using throttle and clutch to pop the bike back up or tighten the turn.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #19
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
........i would give you $20 to see you jumping up and down on your r6 while you make a 10 foot radius turn at 5mph.
10,000 rpm............?

It is just a U-turn, not a U-playground...........No comprendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
.......I come from the old school of HD's and those heavy, low rpm torque beasts had me slipping the clutch to turn tight or uturn.....
I imagine that Harleys could jerk the hell of anyone at low rpm's and no-clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
With the roads and turns being so narrow where I live, u turns as a technical skill become moot as they are no more than a standard tight turn but coming back on yourself, I easily full lock turn now and confortably using throttle and clutch to pop the bike back up or tighten the turn.
Would you elaborate a little more; it sounds like "I just easily do it"..........

Old February 20th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #20
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

We call it a turn in the road, as our road system doesn't allow for u turns that cross lanes of traffic, I had to practise in a box doing circles for hours on my cbt then figure of eights, if I need to do a turn in the road I just do them as I have to do them very often I am well practised, so I suppose it's a "I just easily do it" but mainly because I am well practised by neccesity.

But for technique, the most important part is to look at your exit, turn your head as far as it goes to look around and then keep it locked on your exit, once in full lock use throttle and clutch to control your lean as you won't be able to counter stear back up, that's why you tend to see people shoot their leg out and wobble upwards and crank the gas when they straighten up.

Practise makes perfect.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #21
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
........But for technique, the most important part is to look at your exit, turn your head as far as it goes to look around and then keep it locked on your exit, once in full lock use throttle and clutch to control your lean as you won't be able to counter stear back up, that's why you tend to see people shoot their leg out and wobble upwards and crank the gas when they straighten up........

It takes some guts to turn in sustained full lock.

Old February 20th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #22
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I LOVE U-turns and sometimes seek them out! It's all about trusting the bike at a full bar-lock position, looking where you want to go (literally behind your shoulder when you're clear of traffic), and pushing the bike up under you so you're weighting the outer peg. It also helps to learn good balance on the bike. I've learned to consistently stop completely at a stop sign without putting my feet down at all. That amount of trust in your balance helps in ALL slow speed maneuvers. Oh, and did I mention how much I LOVE the rear brake at slow speeds? Even sometimes in U-turns?

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #23
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Quote:
The Capt. is awesome!
Wha huh?

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHairSar View Post
Wha huh?
The video in the second post of this thread is "Captain Crash". He has a series of videos that are great for new budding riders. Highly recommended viewing.

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #25
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

This was the closest that I could come up with, and ... it doesn't work so well in this circumstance. Like, he's just BARELY turning his head and sh**!

Quote:
The video in the second post of this thread is "Captain Crash". He has a series of videos that are great for new budding riders. Highly recommended viewing.
Ah HA! ... and you're right, that was awesome.

Old February 20th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #26
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
This was the closest that I could come up with, and ... it doesn't work so well in this circumstance. Like, he's just BARELY turning his head and sh**!
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 02:05 PM   #27
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
But for technique, the most important part is to look at your exit, turn your head as far as it goes to look around and then keep it locked on your exit, once in full lock use throttle and clutch to control your lean as you won't be able to counter stear back up, that's why you tend to see people shoot their leg out and wobble upwards and crank the gas when they straighten up.

Practise makes perfect.
There is a real knack to going to full lock in one go, lock to lock slalom still freaks me out a bit.

I go for low rpm, 2nd gear, feather the clutch & rear brake & keep it reasonably upright.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 02:23 PM   #28
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
How I U turn

Link to original page on YouTube.

adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 05:07 PM   #29
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

It might help to start the bike moving at a lean with the wheel turned part way. Captain Crash showed that technique in another video, using it for a right turn into the furthest right lane, but it should also work for u-turns.

Sometimes it may be difficult to initiate the lean at the exact spot desired when body weight is on the opposite side of the bike. An old rear tire that is squared off exacerbates the problem. In this situation it my help to put some weight on on the inner peg, causing the bike to lean inward, while using centripetal force and your body weight to control the amount of lean.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 06:54 PM   #30
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Awesome thread. Lots of great info.

I had to make my first "street" u-turn some time ago and I was a bit worried about going in too wide as well.

I ended up making the left u-turn a bit sharp and caused me to drop my left foot against the ground to gain some stability. It wasn't too bad but definitely could have been smoother.

Old February 21st, 2013, 07:11 PM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
It might help to start the bike moving at a lean with the wheel turned part way. Captain Crash showed that technique in another video, using it for a right turn into the furthest right lane, but it should also work for u-turns.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:04 PM   #32
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

i lift my bike straight onto its kick stand and spin it around. U turn done in 4 seconds, no throttle or clutch needed
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:20 PM   #33
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
i lift my bike straight onto its kick stand and spin it around. U turn done in 4 seconds, no throttle or clutch needed
Is this how your dropped your bike, Michael?

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:25 PM   #34
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Quote:
Is this how your dropped your bike, Michael?
i dont drop bikes. i lay them down

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:28 PM   #35
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
i dont drop bikes. i lay them down
Smoooooth.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:44 PM   #36
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Any special technique to avoid that tailgater clipping our bike while we are slowly initiating the U-turn and he/she expects us to make the wider 90-degree turn to the left?

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:47 PM   #37
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Any special technique to avoid that tailgater clipping our bike while we are slowly initiating the U-turn and he/she expects us to make the wider 90-degree turn to the left?
maybe do a little hand signal like twirling your finger in a circle a few times

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:52 PM   #38
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
maybe do a little hand signal like twirling your finger in a circle a few times
err like this?:

That's a good point, though moto...

Old February 21st, 2013, 10:07 PM   #39
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Quote:
err like this?:
yes but go vertical

Old February 21st, 2013, 10:51 PM   #40
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Begin the turn earlier. Or present middle finger.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote