ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old November 13th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

I almost killed myself on the 250 today...

I was getting onto eastbound I-12 from southbound I-59 headed to class this morning and the on ramp merges with the traffic from the northbound 59 traffic before it merges with 12. The on ramp is shaped like the top portion of a heart, that's the best I can do to describe it. Well back to the story I'm in the left portion of my lane and up ahead I see a minivan and assume it merged in front of a few cars even though we have a yield sign. I then look to my left at the traffic from northbound 59 to decide which cars to merge between and speed up a little to catch the gap. Once, I decided where to merge i looked forward and the minivan was at a dead stop in the lane about 60 or so feet ahead. I immediately snatched my brakes but I knew I would not be able to stop so I got back on the gas and merged into the spot I intended.

I felt like such an asshat afterwards. No doubt everyone thought I was some punk douchebag. This really scared me today. Definitely an eye opener but I'm still scared from it.
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
look where you are going!

you don't have to be looking at something to see it. i know it sounds weird. glance back, and then immediately look forward again. it will take a few seconds for your brain to "see" it. but after a couple seconds the information will come through. and during that time you will be looking forward.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 13th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

It was just a big blunder on my part. I can't believe it actually happened. Now I know how not to merge!

Old November 13th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #4
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Knowing how not to do something is half the battle
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #5
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
The other half is knowing what people do before they do it.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #6
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Oh man, that's one of my biggest fears; check my blind spot for a few seconds too long and turn around to see traffic ahead of me has stopped. It really gives more meaning to the notion of looking 20 seconds ahead of your bike. Instead, look 20 seconds ahead of the car in front of you lol. Glad you made it out safe.

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #7
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
and assume it merged
That there's your problem

Old November 13th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #8
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
The throttle is your friend.

Old November 13th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #9
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Dang sounds pretty crazy. Reminds me of this turn I take in my city that connects the Patriot Freeway (54) North to I10 West. Its this big 270 degree turn on a decline and once you're out you got to merge within about 10 seconds I would say if you're doing 60mph before getting on an off-ramp.

People often don't think ahead enough to arrange for the merge as they're in the turn (looking ahead) and instead wait until the short straight to start figuring out how to merge. This leads to some people stopping completely waiting for a huge opening so they can get on the highway.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.........This really scared me today. Definitely an eye opener but I'm still scared from it.
Quote:
..........I got mine late September too and I'm just over 2,500!.........
If you have no previous street riding experience, other than those almost 3K miles, it is very important that you get some good motorcycling education.

Being vulnerable in traffic is no joke, and you, like any new rider, are more vulnerable after learning the basics and becoming over-confident.

If all the above is an assumption more correct than the one you made today, I kindly refer you to our Riding Skills section, as well as to the following book: "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough.

It is good that you got scared from this mishap, but it is better that you get properly prepared for the next one.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #11
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
If you have no previous street riding experience, other than those almost 3K miles, it is very important that you get some good motorcycling education.

Being vulnerable in traffic is no joke, and you, like any new rider, are more vulnerable after learning the basics and becoming over-confident.

If all the above is an assumption more correct than the one you made today, I kindly refer you to our Riding Skills section, as well as to the following book: "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough.

It is good that you got scared from this mishap, but it is better that you get properly prepared for the next one.
The riding course close to home was booked until January when I called in October! I'm not skimping out on it there just is not one to take yet. Thanks for referring me to the book, I've been checking out the riding skills section a lot recently.

Old November 13th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to ride reports

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #13
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

the first part of your story had the right stuff, 2 sec immediate stop, 4 second react and 12 second scan, you did the 12 second scan, but then you didnt keep your eyes on the road.

3 quick things

1) thank god ur ok!
2) how much faster where you going then the intended speed?
3) what will you change about your riding now?

also msf-usa.org has alot of material that you can study for free while you wait for your class, also you might be able to find some other sites that can teach you sooner. i know my site teaches year round as long as we can get at least 4 people for a class.

Old November 14th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
The riding course close to home was booked until January when I called in October! I'm not skimping out on it there just is not one to take yet. Thanks for referring me to the book, I've been checking out the riding skills section a lot recently.
You are welcome, Jacques

Don't expect to learn all you really need from the riding course, that is just for teaching the very minimum skills anyone needs to start your real journey in traffic survival.

Due to the unforgiving nature of motorcycling, you must learn and practice all you can in order to make the possibility of an accident (induced or auto-inflicted collision or fall) the very minimum.

There are no shortcuts around that reality.
Over-confidence and lack of alertness are more dangerous for us than cars or slippery roads.
You need to discipline your mind to switch to survival mode as soon as you think about going for a ride.
For most of us the bad consequences of not doing so extend to our love ones, our jobs, our friends, our finances, etc.

Not trying to scare you or demotivate you here, just trying to explain that motorcycling is an experience that is as dangerous as rewarding.
It is only that it demands you putting your whole brains, heart and soul into mastering it, now and for as long as you can ride.

Please, check this additional information:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...8&postcount=19

Copied from:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121405

"So, what’s important? Skills or Knowledge?

The emphasis on "emergency skills" in training courses has led us to believe that control skills are where we should focus. Certainly, it’s important to know how to corner, how to shift gears without sliding the rear tire, how to brake hard without falling down. But eventually most of us realize that what’s really important is to know what trouble looks like, and how to avoid riding into it.

A young, "bulletproof" rider might have the reflexes to ride dumbly into bad situations and then survive with split second maneuvers. 9 out of 10 they make it. But long-term survival demands that we look farther ahead, spot potential problems early, and just make small adjustments in line or speed to avoid a dangerous situation.

Frankly, if you’re still experiencing lots of close calls, you’re not using your brain enough. If you don’t spot a driver about to turn left until he’s smack in front of you, it means you weren’t paying enough attention to traffic around you. If you come over a hill and suddenly have to brake hard to avoid a truck backing out of a driveway, that means you were riding too fast for your sight distance at the moment. It’s important to spot dynamic patterns that could lead to a collision, and take action soon enough to get out of the way. Veteran riders typically have few close calls because they have developed proficient mental skills."

Old November 14th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Actually, that kinda stuff is gunna happen from time to time as long as you continue to ride in areas with crazy cagers and what not. Knowing that, I see 2 main things with your post.

1st - Do not let fear dictate your riding. There is no place for raw fear while riding anything with only 2 wheels.

2nd - Always have an escape plan on tap. When I see the road in front of me, I am always looking for 2 paths, the path of the road and an escape path. Because when you need one, you may not have enough time to find it.

Here is something else to think about. Your perception of what is possible in any given amount of distance will change with the more experience and skill you have. In terms of braking at street speeds, 60' is a HUGE distance, especially in good environmental conditions.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #16
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
the first part of your story had the right stuff, 2 sec immediate stop, 4 second react and 12 second scan, you did the 12 second scan, but then you didnt keep your eyes on the road.

3 quick things

1) thank god ur ok!
2) how much faster where you going then the intended speed?
3) what will you change about your riding now?

also msf-usa.org has alot of material that you can study for free while you wait for your class, also you might be able to find some other sites that can teach you sooner. i know my site teaches year round as long as we can get at least 4 people for a class.
The On ramp suggested speed is about 55 Mph. I believe I was closer to 60 than 55.
The thing I can think of first about changing habits is during situations where there is a high risk like that one I will slow down!

I take this ramp on a regular basis in my "cage" and never came across someone who stopped like that.

Old November 14th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #17
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
That happens. Now you now. Close one.

Old November 14th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #18
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Name: Heather

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Green SE, '13 Ninja 636 Pearl White

First and foremost, thank goodness you are okay!! Scary situation and I bet almost everyone on here knows exactly the heart pounding that went on afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
you don't have to be looking at something to see it. i know it sounds weird. glance back, and then immediately look forward again. it will take a few seconds for your brain to "see" it. but after a couple seconds the information will come through. and during that time you will be looking forward.
Epic advice! I have always wondered how people can glance back and "see" what is going on when I have to stare for a few seconds to get the image. Why have I never heard this before??

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
2nd - Always have an escape plan on tap. When I see the road in front of me, I am always looking for 2 paths, the path of the road and an escape path. Because when you need one, you may not have enough time to find it.
Two optional paths is a good reminder to always have a back up plan. I am still at the stage of having to consciously think about thinking about an escape plan while riding.

Old November 14th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #19
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPepper64 View Post
..........Epic advice! I have always wondered how people can glance back and "see" what is going on when I have to stare for a few seconds to get the image. Why have I never heard this before??
That is a men's developed skill.

Try this test:
http://www.msf-usa.org/riderperception/

Old November 14th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^^ lol

I say it's hunter's vs nester's.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #21
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Name: Heather

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Green SE, '13 Ninja 636 Pearl White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
That is a men's developed skill.

Try this test:
http://www.msf-usa.org/riderperception/
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
^^^^ lol

I say it's hunter's vs nester's.

Thanks for the test!

Old November 14th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #22
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
hahaha. man who stares too long gets hit with purse.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old November 14th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
I was driving today and realized I only gave half the answer.

When you glance quickly you have no sense of speed of the other cars. So you have to do the double take. Glance back. Once you see it glance ask again and you see the change which let's you infer speed

Old November 15th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #24
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

I have set my mirrors that i can just see behind me passed my blind spot through my "chicken wing" style arm movement.

So that i don't have to move my head down, side to side.

Demo - sit on bike - hold handlebars - lift elbows to the sky - while facing forward move eyes only passed my ribcage.

peripheral vision does the rest.
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote