ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old April 18th, 2014, 09:37 AM   #1
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Spot cyclists - shoulder check - change lane - STATIONARY CAR!

Link to original page on YouTube.

I'm pretty mindful of that kind of situation now having clipped the back end of a van that stopped in front of me while I was doing a shoulder check to change lanes.

There's a zebra crossing in this video, but there isn't anyone walking across it, so I can't make out why the driver came to a complete stop. Ultimately it doesn't matter why he stopped though. I think it pays to assume that drivers will perform sudden and seemingly senseless actions and adjust your street riding practice accordingly. I now maintain a bigger stopping distance behind cars, cover my front brake at all times in traffic and try to maintain a calm awareness of all the vehicles that surround me.

The author made this comment:

Quote:
The skid was on purpose to get the front wheel away from head on impact. If you correct at too high a speed you will most likely high side dropping the bike. Even at impact of side cover on bumper I felt I still had too much momentum to straighten out on a good trajectory away from car. Hope I never have to try it again.
Throwing hand signals will slow your reaction time as will multiple road distractions so make sure you have room. You may finish your shoulder check like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atDFqxHLctE
Sounds like he's claiming he deliberately stepped his tail out to the left so as to set his trajectory to the right of the car. Sounds to me like he's post-rationalizing his over-use of the rear brake and got relatively lucky.

I think he had enough time to steer to the right of the car.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old April 18th, 2014, 11:29 AM   #2
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

MORE than enough time/room to avoid a collision, that was a rookie mistake.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
noob doesn't know how to ride, crashes, says it was intentional. probably had to lay her down. anyone worth their salt could have not only seen that coming a mile away but even with blinders on could have avoided it after it had happened. noob needs an ego check before he kills himself.

Old April 18th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #4
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

^Agree. Also, the car had plenty of good reason to stop (pedestrians crossing at a marked crosswalk). Based on the in-video commentary, and the situation, it seems like the guy is making excuses for his lapse in judgement and handling errors.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 18th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Idk, seems to me like he was completely distracted which destroyed any reaction time he may have had as well as lacking the skill to avoid the collision once he noticed the situation he was in. Anyone paying attention could have handled the situation without incident.

The decision he made was dumb though, he could have steered right to avoid the car then back left to avoid the cyclists or slowed down behind the cyclists after steering right.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #6
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
he could have steered right to avoid the car then back left to avoid the cyclists or slowed down behind the cyclists after steering right.
Yeah, I think if he had just steered right around the car he would have been able to comfortably slow down and continue riding almost as if none of it happened.

Old April 19th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #7
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

It looks like he may have been speeding also.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 06:41 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
............I think he had enough time to steer to the right of the car.
From the author:
"My first motorcycle crash w/car in 26 years! fast stop cars will get ya!"

I would say, speed did get ya!

If you want to ride fast in public roads, you must be able to see fast, think fast, react fast, signal fast and the most important: swerve and stop fast.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 19th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #9
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

He mentions that it's a BSA, they've not made bikes since the 70's... in that case just swerve, 40+ year old braking tech & old school tyres won't help much.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #10
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
If you want to ride fast in public roads, you must be able to see fast, think fast, react fast, signal fast and the most important: swerve and stop fast.
very well put!