ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 2nd, 2014, 09:02 AM   #1
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Spark plugs, which and why?

Any benefits to running other plugs than recommended OEM?

Have seen on occasion people mention a particular sparkplug here and there but they never give any reason to why it is the best plug in the world.

Interested in what the vet, racer and tuner 250 riders have to say.

Can also include your input on coils ect...

P.S. Please leave the pony plugs out of this discussion. If you know... well then you know, if you don't... well to bad.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2014, 09:24 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Allow me to direct you to some information.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...hlight=iridium
http://www.newninja.com/forums/f108/...oils-8486.html
http://www.250r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2530
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 10:11 AM   #3
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ what I have been looking for, thanks

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:25 AM   #4
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I use NGK plugs and run e10 the coldest available. Normal plugs are e7 and with mods 8or 9. You want a particular plug choice by heat range. Cool enough to not melt but hot enough to burn oil or fuel off the tip. What you look for is a line of color change on the insulation. Plugs should be tan or light brown for normal use and white for racing.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:26 AM   #5
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
A finer electrode allows for a more focused, consistent spark. For the finer tip to hold up, it needs to be made out of a more exotic metal, hence the iridium. The IX version of the stock plug should just be a slightly more effective version of the stocker.

A few people have done coil-on-plug swaps (I have the parts but haven't done it yet). https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...130#post840130 has some info. alex.s said that you probably wouldn't notice any difference on a stock bike, but it could provide a slight bump in ignition output to cover possible situations where the stock ignition isn't quite cutting it. I wouldn't expect any huge gains from it, but I got the harness and 4 COPs from a ZX636 for $20 on eBay. For $10 a bike (as opposed to $400 for a high-output aftermarket ignition), it might be worth doing the upgrade, even if it doesn't really help all that much.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Since we are bringing coils into the conversation. What are everyone's thoughts on MSD multiple spark ignition modules for motorcycles? It is supposed to provide multiple sparks over a longer duration of time to ignite more of the fuel mixture.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:37 PM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Since we are bringing coils into the conversation. What are everyone's thoughts on MSD multiple spark ignition modules for motorcycles? It is supposed to provide multiple sparks over a longer duration of time to ignite more of the fuel mixture.
Yes, spark duration can be longer in a MSD.
MSD works for engines that use an Inductive Discharge System.

The Ninja 250/300 uses Capacitive Discharge Ignition, which uses high voltage stored in a capacitor to induce the few hundred volt pulse into the secondary instead of generating it in the primary as with an inductive system.

One inherent limitation to a CDI system is that the spark duration can be short due (compared to MSD) to the use of small capacitors. In most instances using a higher voltage coil or better sparking plug, can make spark duration longer in a CDI system.

Spark duration is what does the actual work igniting a fuel mixture. Having a too weak or short spark can cause a fuel mixture not to burn well leaving behind too much unburned fuel. However, having close to complete combustion of a proper mixture can be a good thing.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:52 PM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Those Takai coils are a bit pricey for me to pull the trigger on at the moment. Sooner or later my curiosity and desire to trick my 250 will probably get the best of me though.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 01:35 PM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Those Takai coils are a bit pricey for me to pull the trigger on at the moment.
They are interesting. I'm like you, they are a bit pricey. I do like what the Iridium plugs do to my bike so I'm staying with them.

Another interesting thing I found about Iridium plugs from Xlite Moto (although it's broken english), it's another confirmation about about the benefit of iridium plugs and bigger coils.
"...to gain free power , bigger spark , burn faster = act like advance = more power , without actualy make engine hotter ,so we made 40,000 volt coils , stock is around 10,000 volts .. works on all on most bikes.
....for yet better result , combine this with our iridium plugs"

Old June 2nd, 2014, 03:15 PM   #10
Snake

Great info Blue. Thanks.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 04:55 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Any benefits to running other plugs than recommended OEM?
Temperature-wise, the manufacturer has used much time testing what range fits better a non-modified engine.

Please, read this:
http://www.dansmc.com/sparkplugs1.htm

When any engine is modified, its thermal behavior gets modified and the recommended OEM may not be as ideal anymore.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:13 PM   #12
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Some bikes with larger cylinders (a fair number of the big v-twins) have dual plugs/cylinder from the factory already. It does improve performance (usually mileage in the case of the v-twins). Interestingly, most (ICE Engined) aircraft have multiple plugs/cylinder as well.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:16 PM   #13
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
Some bikes with larger cylinders (a fair number of the big v-twins) have dual plugs/cylinder from the factory already. It does improve performance (usually mileage in the case of the v-twins). Interestingly, most (ICE Engined) aircraft have multiple plugs/cylinder as well.
Those aircraft also have 2 manetos with a switch to select both or just one.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 08:23 PM   #14
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

It really depends on the application as well, in heavily boosted applications the right heat range copper plugs really always ran better for me than expensive exotic plugs. There may be no BEST, but rather best for your APPLICATION
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2014, 10:34 PM   #15
NinjaZX6R123
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ninja

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX6R, 2009 Ninja 250R

NGK Iridium. Lasts longer and makes your engine run smooth like butter even noticed difference in throttle. Could all be in my head though.
NinjaZX6R123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2014, 02:23 AM   #16
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

MSD

The "multiple spark" from an MSD box occurs at a relatively low rpm. It is intended mainly to help keep from loading up at idle. There are other advantages if the application fits, such as custom rev limit.

As far as plugs go. "Super Whammo, pentagonal multi electrode" plugs are just a marketing gimmick, and may actually cause harm. Multi electrode plugs actually shroud the spark.

If changing plugs has a large effect on power, it is because the old ones were worn out and ineffective.

When I was racing, I used standard NGK plugs of the proper heat range and application. I never had a problem with misfire even at high nitrous loads and high rpm (OK 11K is high rpm for an old KZ1000).

Baby Ninja pulls flawlessly to the rev limiter with standard NGK plugs also. I have NGK iridium plugs in the Buell because they are a biatch to change. 20K+ miles on them now with no issues and no fouling.

Old June 3rd, 2014, 05:58 AM   #17
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ NGK coppers FTW in my past experience but never tried anything other than the stockers on the ninjette. At 10K its probably time lol.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:49 AM   #18
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1075 View Post
As far as plugs go. "Super Whammo, pentagonal multi electrode" plugs are just a marketing gimmick, and may actually cause harm. Multi electrode plugs actually shroud the spark.
Not to mention that without multiple anodes, you're only going to get a spark to a single electrode anyhow. The benefit of mutliple-electrode spark plugs comes from increased longevity.
Brother Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote