ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old February 25th, 2015, 07:33 AM   #1
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Name: Butch

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

RAM Mount help needed..

I'm in need of a mount for my iPhone 6 Plus (preferably one that works with my existing Otterbox Defender case), and it seems the RAM Mount is the best option.. My dilemma is that I really want it mounted on the center stem, and they don't offer that option when checking their site based on the '09 Ninja 250.. I've seen several pictures of 250s with a stem mount, but no information or instructions on how this was achieved.. Am I missing something simple or is there another manufacturer that's devised a proper mount for our beloved little Ninjas??
FBR_BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2015, 07:44 AM   #2
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
I drilled and tapped mine to fit this: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-367U

Know anybody with a drill press?

Also if you want a really good cradle for the phone serch SlipGrip on ebay for the one that fits your case.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #3
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

We have a drill press at work.. I don't trust myself to do the job, but I have mechanics at work that can definitely get it done properly.. Heheh..

I'll order the part you linked, and the SlipGrip cradle you recommended.. Thanks heaps!! For safety's sake, I might even order an extra stem bolt, ya know, just in case.. LOL!!

Old February 25th, 2015, 08:13 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

The unused mirror holes are already tapped for a RAM mount, in case you don't want to drill into the stem bolt. (but the mount is then either not centered, or you'd need a longer arm to move the GPS to the center).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #5
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Hmm.. Confusion has set in slightly.. LOL!! After doing some searching, should I be looking at the SlipGrip with the 17mm or 22mm socket to fit the RAM Mount?? The SlipGrip RAM Mount version has the ball attached.. That obviously won't work.. I suddenly feel very stupid.. Duh... :/

Did a search on eBay and the SlipGrip site for iPhone 6 Plus Otterbox Defender.. Dunno if I should be looking elsewhere or I'm stupified.. Probably the latter..

Old February 25th, 2015, 08:32 AM   #6
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Uhh.. Am I supposed to also be looking at getting the double-socket arm from the RAM Mount site?? That would allow me to get the RAM Mount version of the SlipGrip...... I think...... OW!!! My head hurts..

Old February 25th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #7
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

You'll need an arm for any RAM mount; there will be a ball on the back of whatever you choose to hold your phone and a ball on the base. You'll use an arm to connect the two.

Old February 25th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #8
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Yes, you want the cradle with the 1" ball and you will need an arm to mount cradle to base. Just decide how high you want it to mount.

And yes, ebay is where i got my cradle.

I have this setup and i can dig up some pictures for you. Hang on..

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old February 25th, 2015, 09:12 AM   #9
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Hope this helps.

Raven's Rejuvenation

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 25th, 2015, 09:33 AM   #10
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Okay.. Ordered the RAM Mount and arm from eBay (Saved $16 on shipping alone!) and got the SlipGrip from the SG site (Saved $6 over the lowest eBay deal).. Thanks a TON LittleRed and everyone else.. Highly appreciated..

Ya know.. I really shouldn't dive into these things after working all night.. Next time, I'll get some sleep before I go looking for stuff.. LOL!!

Old February 25th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #11
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Any time.

And i forgot to mention, you will need to trim down the shortest bolt that comes with that base for the best fit. Good luck!

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old February 27th, 2015, 12:18 PM   #12
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
Also if you want a really good cradle for the phone serch SlipGrip on ebay for the one that fits your case.
Awesome! I've been looking for a good mount for my 6 Plus. The big X-Grip is ok in my car, but there's no way I would trust that on a bike. This looks pretty acceptable to me. Now I just need to figure out which case I'm going to be using on my phone...

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2015, 12:33 PM   #13
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Awesome! I've been looking for a good mount for my 6 Plus. The big X-Grip is ok in my car, but there's no way I would trust that on a bike. This looks pretty acceptable to me. Now I just need to figure out which case I'm going to be using on my phone...
Had the same problem. I have the X-Grip in my car but no way in hell would i trust it on the bike.

I would go otterbox, i like the commuter ones myself. with a Zagg Glass screen protector. Best case IMO.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old February 27th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #14
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Techmount Techgripper is another alternative and what I use. Build quality is awesome and way better than the X-Grip.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2015, 07:47 PM   #15
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Due to the conditions under which I work, there's nothing else I'd trust to be on my phone other than the Otterbox Defender.. The LifeProof cases are decent, but they don't withstand the beating that can happen when dropping a phone onto a concrete floor and some of the other trials and tribulations that come with working as a production supervisor in a food manufacturing facility..

The RAM Mount arrived, and I took it into work and had one of my mechanics do the dirty work to seat the mount on my center stem bolt.. Flawless!! Patiently awaiting the arrival of the rest of the items to I can at least set it all up on the bike and see how it'll work out..

Old February 28th, 2015, 05:28 AM   #16
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Woo-hoo, nice.

I don't need the protection of the defender but my boyfriend has that style on his phone.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old February 28th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #17
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

I've slung my phone around in my x-grip as hard as I can just sitting in my living room, intentionally trying to knock it out, etc., and I wasn't even able to get it to budge. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that they're plenty secure on the motorcycle as well (I've only bothered to use mine on the bike once.)

Old March 1st, 2015, 03:10 PM   #18
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBR_BDavis View Post
Due to the conditions under which I work, there's nothing else I'd trust to be on my phone other than the Otterbox Defender.. The LifeProof cases are decent, but they don't withstand the beating that can happen when dropping a phone onto a concrete floor and some of the other trials and tribulations that come with working as a production supervisor in a food manufacturing facility..

The RAM Mount arrived, and I took it into work and had one of my mechanics do the dirty work to seat the mount on my center stem bolt.. Flawless!! Patiently awaiting the arrival of the rest of the items to I can at least set it all up on the bike and see how it'll work out..
everyone has an opinion, and everyone's experience is different

that said.....I switched exclusively from Otterbox Defenders to Lifeproof cases. They have withstood everything better and are thinner and more comfortable then the Otterbox. And I have put them in an environment at work that can certainly rival some of harshest.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2015, 05:49 AM   #19
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
I've slung my phone around in my x-grip as hard as I can just sitting in my living room, intentionally trying to knock it out, etc., and I wasn't even able to get it to budge. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that they're plenty secure on the motorcycle as well (I've only bothered to use mine on the bike once.)
But you still have the play in the mount where it will swivel from side to side a bit. That bugs me to.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:22 AM   #20
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
But you still have the play in the mount where it will swivel from side to side a bit. That bugs me to.
Yeah, that can be a little annoying, but I deal with it by having it rotated all the way to one side from the get-go. It can still move the other way, but it's a bit better.

Old March 2nd, 2015, 07:28 AM   #21
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
Yeah, that can be a little annoying, but I deal with it by having it rotated all the way to one side from the get-go. It can still move the other way, but it's a bit better.
Thats what i did in my car. Still much happier with the SlipGrip cradle on the bike. I think they make one for the life cases, not 100% on that though.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:35 PM   #22
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I'm an IT guy with a pretty cushy life, so the ginormous super-protective cases aren't really needed and just double the phone's size. I've had Incase Sliders on all my previous iPhones (3G through 5). I got a LifeProof nüüd for my 5 and I liked it ok (thanks to not being completely huge and having the open screen), but honestly it just made me less careful with my phone. It was pretty cool streaming music with my phone just laying on my chest when we went tubing last summer though.

I already have a few cases for the 6, I just have to figure out which one I'm going to be using the most to get a clip that matches it. I got the Tech21 from VZW, which is the stuff they used in that Flubber bumper a few years ago. It's less impressive when it's just built into the edges of a TPU case though. I got a simple Roo snap-on case (similar to the Apple one) for pretty cheap, which I actually like pretty well. It's more for scratch protection than real impact protection, but that works for me.

As for screen protectors, I like Power Support's anti-glare ones. Again, I've had them on all my iPhones going back to the 3G. I've tried others on various models before PSC released theirs, and I always end up throwing them away and getting the PSC as soon as it's released. The tempered glass ones are intriguing, but again, I've never had my phone in a situation where I needed something like that. I use the PSC more for the anti-glare than protection probably.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2015, 02:57 AM   #23
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

I work in a warehouse and tend to be in shop environments a lot so the otterbox is a must for me.

As for the screen protector the Zagg glass line not only provides excellent protection but it's 100% clear. I don't like the antiglare one as they look funny and bug my eyes.
And another BIG plus with zagg is the lifetime warranty. if it dose chip or the lower grade ones peel the send you a new one. And you can upgrade to the better ones too. No questions asked.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old March 5th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #24
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Personally, I want as much protection for my phone as I can get, especially when having it mounted on my bike.. When you consider the cost of a really good protective case versus the cost to replace the phone completely in the case of a major mishap, whether it be on the bike, at work, or even around the home, the more protective/expensive cases are warranted..

As for my experience with LifeProof cases, it's not a personal one, but that of a co-worker.. I know others who have had no issues with theirs.. Like many people, I tried an OB Defender on my first iPhone, and loved it enough to continue to purchase them as I've upgraded over the years.. I doubt I'd change unless something happened that made me want to change..

Back to the original post though, the remaining items for my RAM Mount arrived, are installed, and are FLAWLESS.. Installation was a breeze, and it's rock solid.. The only difference with my installation and what LittleRedNinjette outlined is that rather than cut one of the bolts down, we had shorter bolts at work and I used one of those.. My next step is installing a USB charging unit on the bike..

Old March 5th, 2015, 12:15 PM   #25
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I got mine from http://burnsmoto.com/ due to the weather proof cover when not in use and a little weather bootie when in use. Been through downpours and snow storms and neither of my usb ports have failed.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2015, 12:20 PM   #26
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

I already have the USB charging unit.. Same exact one that's on BurnsMoto, actually.. I'm not completely sure yet, but I think I'm going to mount it on the left side, pretty much in the exact position that the brake fluid reservoir is located on the right side..

Old March 5th, 2015, 02:42 PM   #27
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

happy it all worked out for you.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old May 12th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #28
johnydecali
ninjette.org member

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250r

Been wanting a Ram Mount on my bike since I got it and after looking at all the options, I decided to go with the offset mount to the brake/clutch reservoir so that I can get my phone to the center of the bike as possible. The idea made sense in my head but end result wasn't as great as I thought that it would be. The mount is massive, almost as big as the bike itself!... Oh well...

In the future I may purchase the combination base for handlebar or brake/clutch reservoir.

Here are pics of the Ram Mount on my bike:

Old May 12th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #29
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

If you truly want it center-mounted, do what LittleRed and I did, and use the center stem bolt as your mounting point.. It doesn't get any more dead center than that..

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 13th, 2015, 03:43 AM   #30
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old May 13th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #31
johnydecali
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBR_BDavis View Post
If you truly want it center-mounted, do what LittleRed and I did, and use the center stem bolt as your mounting point.. It doesn't get any more dead center than that..
Would love too but don't have access to a drill press

Old May 13th, 2015, 06:20 AM   #32
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Hmm... may be a business in this.

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old May 13th, 2015, 05:49 PM   #33
johnydecali
ninjette.org member

So I've been feeling embarrassed using my Ram Mount since it looks so huge and hideous and after sharing my pics of my set up, I've decided to do something about it. Instead of throwing more money at the problem, I decided to think what can I do with what I have. I came up with a simple solution, flip the base upside down! Still pretty massive but something less embarrassing and can live with. Here's how it looks:

Old May 14th, 2015, 04:44 AM   #34
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Nice, good thinking!

Raven's Rejuvenation