ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old July 4th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #1
chrly
ninjette.org member

Name: Charley

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Kawasaki EX300 , 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1200.

Big Bore 300??

Ok folks..I have looked but am not proficient at "search" so.....Does anyone have info about boring the 300 ? Mine is a 2013 to be specific.. I am turbo aware for extra power as I have one on one of my other bikes but would like to add a few more CCs to the 300 and bump the compression maybe a point and a half...
I do not want to open the motor any further than exchanging cylinder and pistons..

To Clarify.. I am looking for a company that provides kits including pistons etc and has the ability to bore and replate the 300 cylinder.

Last futzed with by chrly; July 4th, 2015 at 03:23 PM.
chrly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
if you are not familiar with working and modding engines this should get you start with some things to consider. You can't just always BB something without having to alter other things to account for the changes that come along with it.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187321

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2015, 10:29 AM   #3
chrly
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the link but a lot of wandering in there
I realize when you change anything in a stock engine that other things must be considered. I was simply looking for a company possibly, that is set up to BB the 300.

Old July 4th, 2015, 10:50 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
any decent shop that works on motors should be able to bore a cylinder it is nothing special.

You should have no problem tracking down a shop that will do the work if you are in California.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old July 4th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #5
chrly
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
any decent shop that works on motors should be able to bore a cylinder it is nothing special.

You should have no problem tracking down a shop that will do the work if you are in California.
California is more than Los Angeles or The Bay Area I happen to be about four hours north of SF..
Dont forget the cylinders need replating after the bore job..I am hoping to find one source for teh job.

Old July 4th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrly View Post
California is more than Los Angeles or The Bay Area I happen to be about four hours north of SF..
Dont forget the cylinders need replating after the bore job..I am hoping to find one source for teh job.
there is this thing, it's called shipping. It's crazy, you box stuff up and then someone picks it up and takes it to your destination of choice.... weird huh?

Regardless, driving 4 hours to drop off a motor at a reputable builder and actually speak with them face to face is still quite the luxury

Point being there are lots of great shops in CA, you can do all your work in state with minimal costs of transportation/shipping and with out much worry if something goes south.

I on the other hand will most likely be shipping one of my motors across the country to... you guessed it CA to a well known builder. It will cost me a lot more than it would cost you to ship it a few hours South in state and again if something went South you could always drive to the shops front door and demand your motor back.... i would not have the luxury.

back on topic i'm sure there are half a dozen places that could do a bore job on the cylinders within a reasonable distance, again, it's not that big of a deal

Old July 4th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #7
chrly
ninjette.org member

I think I see my problem I shud have asked if anyone knows of a Big Bore KIT for teh 300.. I am looking for someone like APE who has the pistons, rings, wrist pins and gasket along with the ability to bore teh cylinder and recoat... I apologize for not making it clear.

I will edit my original post to reflect same. Thanks for making it obvious...

Old July 4th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
understood perfectly

you can buy over bore pistons or rings from anywhere. The stock bore is 62mm? i think so any piston larger than that that are designed to fit the ninja 300 will work. Obviously you can only go so big before you start to run into problems. So again, figure out what you want to do, how big you want to go, and buy those parts or get a builder to source them for you and you pay them.

So as far as a kit, all you need is pistons and ring kit that is going to work. Companies that sell the piston rings ect... are typically just parts manufactures, meaning they dont do labor on peoples machines. So you still need to find a builder to do the engine work.

Step one, find out everything you can about what you want to do, again its more complicated than you think. This way at least you have an idea... maybe of how to answer some of the questions the builder is going to ask you as opposed to telling them "just do what you think is best"

Step 2, after you figured out what you want to do, either buy the pistion/ring kit yourself or see if your builder can source it cheaper, they might get a discount. Some times some builders have their own go fast parts that they will try and sell you on, sometimes they are legit other times they are just taking your money and giving you crap.

Step 3, Drop off your bike or motor at builder and they will bore the cylinder and do what ever else you have discussed for a price using what ever it is you supplied or had discussed.

Step 4, hope they actually know what they are doing and you get an improved ridable, reliable bike out of it

^this is the way it works unless you can find a complete bolt on BB kit from some company. I have never seen a complete bolt on BB kit for any of the Kawi street bikes like the ninja 250 for ninja 300. BB bolt on kits that come complete with a new cylinder and all the other bits are a lot more common on dirt bikes especially 2 strokes, not sport bikes.

Last futzed with by subxero; July 5th, 2015 at 05:00 AM.

Old July 4th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #9
garth285
KAWASAKI GURU

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): Turbo Ninja 250

Just buy my turbo kit I have for sale and be done with it :-p

Just kidding but not really.

Wish I could help you more, luckily you atleast you have fuel injection in place and can tune the bike easier than with a 250. the 300 has a larger stroke than the 250 so you have different rods and different piston pin locations.

JE makes +2mm pistons for the ninja 250 but I dont think unless you do other modifications it will be a "drop in" application.
garth285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2015, 06:24 AM   #10
chrly
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the input gentlemen..I appreciate it..

btw Garth..My first encounter with a turbo was a series 53 Aerochrger install on my 2001 Kaw ZRX1200.. I put an interesting 25k miles on that unit before I fouled the vanes by attempting water injection
. Just finishing another similar setup now. If Aerocharger made a unit small enough for the 300, I would have already been on it ( well except for cost ) . I wanted more of a sleeper, if you will for the 300..There is no getting around the fact that the turbo draws attention ..

Here is my first T-Rex

Old July 5th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #11
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the 300's engine was basically a bored out ninja 250's? At least to some degree.. I'm sure that's wrong, just feel like adding something to the convo <3

Old July 6th, 2015, 05:07 AM   #12
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the 300's engine was basically a bored out ninja 250's? At least to some degree.. I'm sure that's wrong, just feel like adding something to the convo <3
the 300's engine is a stroked ninja 250's...

besides that it is important to keep in mind that the cylinder block is an all-aluminum nikasil-plated unit (unlike the 250's iron-sleeved) that will need replating after boring process, which is not what you call cheap... so far, there is no known-brand bolt-on kit made for it...

Old July 7th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #13
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by micoulisninja View Post
the 300's engine is a stroked ninja 250's...
thanks...

How's Greece by the way?

Old July 8th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #14
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
How's Greece by the way?
The following video sums it up quite good...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i dont get the point. just buy a faster bike

Old July 9th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #16
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i dont get the point. just buy a faster bike
Agreed

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2015, 04:33 AM   #17
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

Quote:
thanks...

How's Greece by the way?
well to be honest, and the way I see it we have a time-bomb ticking between our legs...

things are pretty complicated... no matter how many you ask you, will hear a different opinion... the fact is German citizens pay taxes, money comes to Greece to save the... banks !! none of it goes to those in need !
for the past 5 years, we keep working more and more, getting payed less and less, taxes and austerity measures have become unbearable, almost half the population has become unemployed and still some believe this can work...
I don't know what to say... It is a rotten mix of finance and politics and depends on who is talking to say who is responsible for that mess...
thing is a LOT of people are suffering here at the moment and things don't seem to get any better... this is why I have come to a stop with my project, at least until things settle down...if they will...

Old July 9th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #18
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
The following video sums it up quite good...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Well, Roland, it does indeed... but the politician who will take responsibilty for leading Greece out of the euro currency will have his head cut off most probably, because the media's propaganda has convinced the majority of the people that such a move would be dooming...
and Tsipras is a "freshman" in the political scenery...

anyway, I apologize for my off-topic quotes...

Old July 13th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #19
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

Bigger pistons = heavier, which means you will HAVE to get the entire rotating assembly re-balanced or have a bike that will shake to death. You will have problems keeping the clutch from slipping so a solution need to be found there. The transmission will need to be under cut. The Head WILL need stronger valve springs as garth285 found out (read his thread, its required if you are wanting to do this) The pistons are FAR from being 'drop in' on this engine as they are for the 250 so the pin is in a different location. The block is also Nikasil plated which means you cant just bore and hone. You CAN have custom pistons made but THAT is a whole other can of worms, and if you arent experienced with building an engine its not a good idea to try and have done.

Currently no one has an off the shelf piston for it. I talk to CP, JE, and Wiseco daily, and own a 300. There are also no studs made for the bike. Everything will be custom.

Believe me Im all for extra power, but at some point its WAY cheaper and more reliable to just spend less cash on a bike that is already more powerful than your target level.

$5,000 (which is EASY to spend on an engine) for 50-60 HP ? You can find a real nice used 600 SuperSport for that much and have double the power, reliably.

Not saying dont do it, because builds like this are pretty cool, just be very aware of what you are getting yourself into.

-Mike @ APE
APEmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2015, 05:27 PM   #20
chrly
ninjette.org member

I appreciate the input guys and solved teh problem over the weekend...Sorta took a different approach....

Can I interest anyone in a nice clean 2013 EX300 with 7005 miles..?????

Old July 26th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #21
Fastway Racing
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): LOTS! 14 -675R Daytona, 13 ZX6R, 14 GSXR 1000, 13 GSXR 600, 07 SV650, 14 300 Ninja, 13 300 Ninja

Wise!

I like your thinking!

Just get a BIGGER HAMMER!
Fastway Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2015, 10:06 PM   #22
Fastway Racing
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): LOTS! 14 -675R Daytona, 13 ZX6R, 14 GSXR 1000, 13 GSXR 600, 07 SV650, 14 300 Ninja, 13 300 Ninja

Of Course you can always try Millennium Technologies For BB stuff
Fastway Racing is offline   Reply With Quote