ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old October 26th, 2015, 06:51 AM   #1
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

Name: Me

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki EX250, 2004 Yamaha FZ1, 2006 Honda CRF 450 Flat Track Race Bike

And a third Pregen Race Bike Build

After doing minor thread jacks in both Mike K's and GregEvans' pregen track bike build threads (sorry gents) I decided to throw in my own. I detail most of the build in my blog (link in my signature), but I thought I'd add in a few choice bits here as well.

The build so far:
1) Hassle a buddy that needed a bike into buying a Craigslist 2004 that had been sitting for a bit
2) Slam that sucker into the garage change the oil, brake fluid, plugs, coolant, various new parts and basically everything that you need to do to an 11 year bike that had been sitting a while from the Ninjette Wiki
3) Buddy chases hanging throttle for a couple of months before he has to transfer overseas and I pick up the bike with the intentions of making it a race bike
4) I start the race preps while still chasing the hanging throttle (carbs heading to Ducatiman this week)

Here are some pics of the bike at various stages of the build and some of the race bike preps. enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0086.JPG (170.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2919.jpg (131.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2926.jpg (100.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2928.jpg (102.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3004.jpg (103.9 KB, 22 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old October 28th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #2
Foxrider64
Hello Moto

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1975 RD350; 2001 KX125; 2003 Z1000; 2003 KDX50; 2009 ZX6R; 2011 Ninja 250R; 2014 KX250F

Love the oil catch pan

I see it all the time on sv650s that dont have race plastics.
Foxrider64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2015, 09:01 PM   #3
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Good Luck!

Old October 28th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #4
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki EX250, 2004 Yamaha FZ1, 2006 Honda CRF 450 Flat Track Race Bike

Quote:
Love the oil catch pan

I see it all the time on sv650s that dont have race plastics.
I'm planning on running the bike naked at first mainly for economics, but also because I like the look. I'll find an oval number plate for the front and some square ones for the rear or a tailpiece from Airtech Streamlining.

Old November 2nd, 2015, 08:51 PM   #5
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

Took the advice of more than a few fellow ninjetters and had my carbs run through by ducatiman. The whole process from me getting them into the mail and getting them back on the bike took exactly 7 days and the cost was very reasonable.

The pics are from just after unboxing and fast forwarding to a couple hours later having the bike all back together (for the most part). I have a friend coming over after work tomorrow to help me finish off a few things and I should be test riding.

Just another step closer top getting this thing on the track.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3035.jpg (84.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3036.jpg (122.4 KB, 8 views)

Old November 3rd, 2015, 10:04 PM   #6
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

Looks neat man, was also thinking about grabbing a pre gen 250 for canyon fun and daily commuting! Good luck on this build and looking forward to seeing the end results
RandomPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2015, 10:14 PM   #7
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Very cool! Have you thought about some sort of race fairing in the future?

Old November 5th, 2015, 04:49 AM   #8
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

I finally got this thing out on the road for a test ride the day before yesterday. I've had it since August and it has taken this long to get it sorted. It is a tiny bike! I think I'll have a blast ripping it around the canyons or the track.

I'm trying to do a budget build. At first I'll run naked. Eventually I'll get some body work. There is only one choice for pregen body kits though. I am eagerly watching Greg_Evans build as he is a couple of steps ahead of me and has the same ideas I do.

Old November 12th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #9
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

So this last weekend I picked up a cheap drill press and have been working through my bolts on the way to having everything wired up for the track. The only ones that are giving me a hard time are the rear caliper mounting bolts on the pregen caliper.

The CVMA rules state that recessed caliper bolts can be siliconed instead of safety wired. Can anyone show me some pics of how that works? Am I over thinking it and it's just as easy a shooting in some type of caulking around the bolt head.

Thanks.

Old November 21st, 2015, 09:58 PM   #10
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

Been busy with not much to show for the build. Did a 105 mile test ride through the canyons. The first 80 miles was fantastic. The last 25 were slow and stressful as I was losing power with the tach jumping erratically. I think there is some type of electrical issue.

The new drill press is handy and I'm almost done all of my safety wire drilling. I found some examples of how to silicone my recessed rear caliper bolts.

Right now the bike is stripped down for cleaning up 11 years of road grunge as well as getting it ready for a coolant flush. Soon I should be able to reassemble and fing the problem that cut my first test short.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (105.4 KB, 3 views)

Old November 26th, 2015, 07:01 AM   #11
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

I've finally completed drilling all of my bolts for safety wiring! In the end I only broke about 6 or 7 bits of varying sizes. The drill press is the only way to do that chore.

I have drained the coolant and will need to flush out the system. I drained the oil and need to fix a small seeping leak. More oily grunge cleaning is in order and soon I'm pulling the wiring in order to check for faults and clean more of the bike. While I'm at all of this I'm going to lube all the various bearings and bushings. Some of which I discovered haven't been serviced since the bike was assembled in Japan. Recent pics are not so interesting so I'll just leave the post with a shot of how the bike sits now. More pics are at my blog (link in signature).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3139.jpg (156.8 KB, 4 views)

Old November 26th, 2015, 10:09 AM   #12
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchyGrappler View Post
Been busy with not much to show for the build. Did a 105 mile test ride through the canyons. The first 80 miles was fantastic. The last 25 were slow and stressful as I was losing power with the tach jumping erratically. I think there is some type of electrical issue.
These are symptoms of a bad battery or a bad battery connection I believe. The tach will jump around when battery connection is interrupted. Does the battery crank strong or do you have to jump the bike to get it to run? If it has a strong battery I would double check the terminals and make sure they are tight.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 26th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #13
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

The battery is only four months old and I had it load checked. It checked out. When I got home I ddid some searching and checked the battery cables. Both were tight enough that I couldn't move them. I also checked the ground connection to the engine as well as the black/yellow wire from the wiring loom to the battery negative. All were strong and had no broken wires.

The clutch switch is new and the kickstand switch checks out, but those will usually only affect the starting circuit from what I've read. The gear switch was loose, but after looking through the diagram I don't think that would matter once the bike is running.

After I do some labeling and photo documenting of how the wiring loom routes through the chassis, I will pull it so that I can systematically check all of the connections and do some continuity checking to eliminate any shorts or loose wires. I'm hoping that solves the issue. If not I'll have the battery load checked again somewhere else for a second opinion.

Old December 27th, 2015, 09:12 AM   #14
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

One month later and I am still slowly working on the bike. I have pulled out the wiring harness to get it on the bench and inspect. I have removed a couple of pounds of grime from the bottom of the engine and stripped off some unneeded weight in the form of headlight, horn and gauge cluster.

Full race preps will be forthcoming over the next month. Once its reassembled I am planning on getting to a kart track for a test and tune and then off to the races. Fingers crossed it all works out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3185.jpg (100.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3187.jpg (144.4 KB, 3 views)

Old January 14th, 2016, 08:10 AM   #15
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

Try as I might I just can't keep up with updating the thread. I always update my blog (link in my sig), but I keep forgetting about Ninjette.

Anyway I have attached a few pic of the bike. I have stripped it down to and engine and front suspension, cleaned it up, flushed the old coolant out and stripped off all of the unneeded non-race parts.

Last night I simplified the wiring harness by zip tying all of the pigtails I won't be using to the main harness trunk to keep them out of the way.

Next steps are to do some fab work for under the rear wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0072.jpg (177.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3198.jpg (105.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3211.jpg (108.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg GOPR0154.jpg (136.6 KB, 1 views)

Old February 3rd, 2016, 08:25 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Good luck with the continued build!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2016, 06:14 AM   #17
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

Thanks! I'm almost there, hoping to test on the Presidents' Day holiday weekend.

Old February 15th, 2016, 08:09 PM   #18
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

Didn't get it all done to do a test track session for president's day weekend, but I did get some more work done today. I only have a very few small things to finish up before I can test. Can't wait to as how it feels on the track!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (104.9 KB, 10 views)

Last futzed with by AchyGrappler; February 15th, 2016 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Pic upside down
AchyGrappler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #19
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Looks like you bolted it to the ceiling...

EDIT - well that's no fun, you fixed it...

Last futzed with by jkv45; February 16th, 2016 at 07:35 AM.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #20
Yamahawk
Chaplain

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 75 RD350 race bike, 82 XZ550RJ Vision, 81 XV920RH, 89 VTR250 Interceptor race bike, 06 Concours, 86 EX250E1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchyGrappler View Post
Didn't get it all done to do a test track session for president's day weekend, but I did get some more work done today. I only have a very few small things to finish up before I can test. Can't wait to as how it feels on the track!
The ACME Anti-Grav Module is working well, can't wait to order mine and install it under the bike... or is it over... hmmm.

Old February 15th, 2016, 10:06 PM   #21
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

That's the problem with the Ninjette, after taking off all the excess weight, the darn thing floats! The tethers broke and it flipped upside down right when I took the shot.

Got it fixed finally.

Old February 18th, 2016, 07:01 AM   #22
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
That looks good. I like the catch pan

Old February 18th, 2016, 04:06 PM   #23
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
All the local clubs where I am specifically do not allow catch pans of that nature. Might want to check the rules for where you're racing too.....although I'm sure you already have.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #24
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

Seeing as how my thread fell off the first page I guess its time for some updates. I have been busy in the shop working through the ever shrinking list of race preps. Here are some pics of what I have completed.

SSR screw on gas cap
Woodcraft brake lever guard
Woodcraft Shark guard
New coolant overflow bottle (homemade)

Next up is to finish my belly pan mods (turning the lower fairing into a full fluid containment belly pan)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3311.jpg (129.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3316.jpg (76.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3325.jpg (109.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3346.jpg (75.6 KB, 10 views)

Old March 31st, 2016, 06:45 AM   #25
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

I finished plugging the vent openings and enclosing the bottom, including a rear fluid dam to convert the stock lower fairing into a fully fluid containing race belly pan.

If you want to see how, click the link to my blog in my sig line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3357.jpg (97.8 KB, 4 views)

Old April 1st, 2016, 06:04 PM   #26
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

Bike is done enough to call it ready to race. Looking for a track day that fits my schedule to do a shakedown run before I just jump into racing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3360.jpg (112.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3361.jpg (86.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3362.jpg (124.7 KB, 4 views)

Old April 24th, 2016, 08:30 AM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote