Old September 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Bags Connection Cargo Bag - mini-review

I promised in the CT to Indy thread that I'd post a review of the luggage I used, so here it is.

For the tank bag, I used an Axio hardshell magnetic bag that's fine. Nothing super-special to say about it.

The tailbag/pannier, though, is something unusual. It's from a German company called Bags Connection, and not only looks cool, it's also unique in design.

Most rear luggage systems consist of two panniers and a separate tail bag. What bugs me about this arrangement, and most luggage, is that there's way too much bag and not enough space. Often, there are bunches of little pockets so everything has a place, but all that material, dividers, zippers etc. just gets in the way.

The Cargo Bag is a single, big saddle-shaped bag, larger at the front than the rear, that is saddlebags and panniers in one. There are two side pockets, but they're so well integrated into the design that they don't detract from that huge internal space.

At the front is a concealed handle, which sits in a third pocket that can be used to store small items if needed. The handle is placed so that when carrying the bag off the bike, it balances very nicely and is not at all awkward.

There are two interlaced bungies on the top, which have reflective thread in them... see the photos.

Access is via a single, large flap on top. Could not possibly be simpler.

The quality is excellent.

Attachment to the bike is via four straps. Two of these are on the front of the saddlebag portion, and feed through D-rings on the bottom on their way to a convenient spot on the bike (I used the passenger footpeg mounts). The other two are at the rear, and I looped them around the rear reflector brackets. Those with fender eliminators would have to get creative here, because those rear straps determine the location of the bag. If you loop them around the provided hooks on the newgen, there will be nothing to stop the bag from sliding too far forward.

The only thing that was a bit questionable was the fact that the bag sits right on the rear turn signals. As originally mounted, they were a bit obscured by it. As I gained experience on my trip, though, I mounted the bag a bit farther forward and took care to tuck the bag material around the signals to ensure as much visibility as possible from the back and rear quarter.

I packed in Space Bags, which are vacuum seal bags that you roll the air out of. I packed very light, using the fact that most of every day would be spent wearing riding gear.

In this bag I carried:
- One pair of light nylon cargo pants
- 2-3 pair of light, wicking long underwear (worn underneath my riding pants)
- 3 pair regular underwear
- 3 pair socks
- One light nylon long-sleeve casual shirt (like a camp shirt)
- One polo shirt
- 2-3 wicking undershirts, some long-sleeved, some short (worn underneath my riding gear)
- Toiletries (Toothbrush/paste, razor, meds, antiperspirant)
- One folding cane for my gimpy leg

This was enough to keep me in fresh clothes for three days before laundry became necessary.

I had plenty of room left over, so I also carried a full rain suit and bike cover. And I still had more room after that... I just never needed it.

Good investment. I'm happy with it.

adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Now that is one well packed bag!
Nice photos too Love the bike/bridge shot!

Old September 14th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #3
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Looks great Andrew! I had the same issue with my signals, so I moved them
It was really easy and helped the bag/signal issue quite a bit!
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26436

Old September 15th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #4
mwc951
ninjette.org member

Name: MWC

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Green

New River Gorge Bridge, longest steel arch bridge in the world. Next month they will shut it down for a day for people to jump off of it. Great pics & review of the bags!
mwc951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #5
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Good review! I thought I wanted something more modular/traditional, but this has me rethinking luggage options. Thanks!
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #6
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Holy frijoles! I think I finally found a tail bag I can live with, thank you for sharing! I've had similar gripes with getting one and usually just go with a backpack.

Old September 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

One thing I didn't emphasize is how great having one large compartment is. Odd-shaped or large items are NOT a problem at all.

With a three-bag (tailbag/saddlebags) system, you wind up having to figure out which bag to put things in, and inevitably you'll waste space. With one large compartment, it all goes in the same place and the only thing you have to work out is how to distribute it more or less evenly.

I highly recommending sub-packing, using plastic bags or whatever to organize your stuff.

I had four sub-bags:

- Underwear/socks
- Other clothes
- Toiletries
- Dirty laundry

Every day I'd pack each of the four bags, then just arrange them in the luggage. The rain suit and bike cover got stuffed into odd spaces. Worked GREAT.

By the way, all other stuff (electronics/camera/batteries, documents, maps, earplugs, spare shield, sunglasses, wallet, etc. etc.) went into the tank bag. There was nothing valuable in the tailbag. That way, I could just pop the tank bag off and take it with me at lunch and not worry about the rest of my luggage.

Oh, and here's the link:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/922/181/

Old September 15th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nice bag! I have one that's somewhat similar that I haven't seen posted up here yet, it's from the Wolfman company. Similar to the reasons you've liked this bag, the Beta (and mini-beta) are one large compartment that sits over the entire rear of the bike. No idea if it's a better or worse solution than you've demonstrated here, I was impressed with the different types of straps on the Wolfman.

Link to Wolfman Tail bag listing

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #9
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Is your cargo net reflective?
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Is your cargo net reflective?
Yes, you can see that clearly if you compare the photos. In one of them it looks white. That pic was taken with a flash.

The reflective bungees come with it.

Old September 15th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Nice bag! I have one that's somewhat similar that I haven't seen posted up here yet, it's from the Wolfman company. Similar to the reasons you've liked this bag, the Beta (and mini-beta) are one large compartment that sits over the entire rear of the bike. No idea if it's a better or worse solution than you've demonstrated here, I was impressed with the different types of straps on the Wolfman.

Link to Wolfman Tail bag listing
Yep, very similar idea. The Wolfman looks shorter front-to-back and taller. The Cargo Bag has a decidedly tailored shape that makes it look kind of like a seat cowl when it's packed.

I'm not sure I'd want a bag any taller than the Cargo Bag. I'm short and getting a leg over is tough enough. At the beginning of my trip my leg was acting up and to mount (and dismount) the bike I'd literally grab the cuff of my pants with my right hand and haul my foot over the top of the bag.