ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 1st, 2017, 05:52 PM   #1
K.Lucas
wouldnt be here if it ran

Name: Kenton

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250.....ish. Project

Yet another "No Spark" thread

Hey guys, first time poster here. I've got an 04 Ninja 250 that I am currently in the process of bobbing. Couple things to note before we get started: bike ran fine before I hacked into it and I put a brand new battery in it.

So when I started this project I knew I was going to delete a lot of the electrical system and leave just enough to stay legal (lights, horn, turn signals, aftermarket speedo/tach). So from the beginning I've planned to rewire the entire bike from scratch. About a week ago I got everything finished and hooked up and dontcha know, I got no spark. Every system works perfect except for the spark and the tach (which makes sense because they're linked).

-I get spark if I manually ground the negative posts on the coils, so that tells me the coils, plug cables, and plugs are all good.
-I get 0.2ish ohms when I ring out the black wire from LH coil to CDI and about the same between RH coil and CDI on the green wire.
-I get about 0.3 ohms between CDI and the negative battery post on both the black/yellow and green/black (I deleted the clutch, neutral, and kickstand switches)
-I've got 12+ VDC at the CDI on brown/black and grey (that's my issue, but I'll get to that).
-the Pickup Coil shows 120 ohms and about 1 VAC when cranking.

I bought a used CDI that supposedly works and guess what.....no help. I was about to buy a new pickup coil, but then I randomly read a thread on here about the 100 ohm resistor in the ignition switch. Since I removed the stock ignition switch and installed a new keyed switch I figured it's worth looking into.

Turns out the 12 VDC I was reading on the grey wire at the CDI needs to be more like 10 VDC for the CDI to work (I guess it's an anti-theft thing to prevent hot wiring). So I installed the 100 ohm resistor in line on the grey wire and badabing badaboom spark.

All that being said, if you have a no spark issue and you're to the point of loading the parts cannon, go ahead and make sure that 100 ohm resistor in the ignition switch is good and doing its job.

Happy smoke chasing.

Last futzed with by K.Lucas; August 2nd, 2017 at 12:58 AM.
K.Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2017, 08:18 AM   #2
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Did you do anything to the ignition system?
Edit: I see that you did. I would bet you for fun that it's the ignition. Does your OEM ignition work? If so goin it back up and bet you get a spark. I've heard some of these bikes won't work without an OEM ignition. Might have to go back to it. Or the after market you installed is faulty.
Oh, I see problem solved. Good. I put an aftermarket ignition on my '01 and had the same issue, no spark. But JP Cycles sent me a bad ignition. Sent me another and it works. But someone here said some bikes won't run without the OEM. Not sure how true it is.

Old August 2nd, 2017, 08:32 AM   #3
K.Lucas
wouldnt be here if it ran

Name: Kenton

Motorcycle(s): 04 ninja 250.....ish. Project

Yeah that's what it ended up being. The 100 ohm resistor from the OEM ignition switch was missing from my circuit, so the CDI was seeing 12 volts on the grey wire which makes the CDI think it's being hotwired, which results in no spark. So I just robbed the resistor out of my OEM ignition switch and wired it into my circuit on the grey wire.
K.Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote