ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old September 30th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #1
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

Vortex Rearsets and Crashability

Hi everybody. So, looking back at the last couple of rounds with OMRRA, I've noticed something with my pit buddies and wanted to see if others have noticed this as well: Vortex rearsets don't take any damage in crashes - the bike's frame bends instead. I was still running stock with Yosh risers when I crashed, but over 4 crashes by friends with 300s in the last couple of rounds, all 4 have wound up with somebody looking around for a big *** prybar to get it straightened out. Pretty much all of us are a bit concerned about the potential for screwing up the frame permanently.

The footpegs themselves have a scored area about an inch in from the tip that's *supposed* to be designed as a failure point, but none did. And the mounting brackets didn't take one for the team either. I'm considering over the winter just drilling a bunch of Swiss-cheese holes in the pegs to weaken them up a little bit. I'd much rather replace a $30 peg than have my frame buggered up. Any thoughts?

Old October 1st, 2017, 05:07 AM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
This is a common problem around me as well

The vortex rearsets are designed for supersport frames which are much stronger than our frames. As such our frames fail first. Easiest solution is to run yoshimura adjusters with the stock rearset and swap the peg to the vortex peg.

Other solution is to drill through the mounting point all the way and replace the bolts with longer bolts that go all the way through, then secure the other end with locking nuts. As a side effect this creates the best feeling peg setup I've seen on a 300

Old October 1st, 2017, 06:53 AM   #3
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Yeah, I've seen this too. And it's not just vortex rearsets, it's any rigid rearset.

My advice is to not run rearsets on this bike and only use the Yoshimura spacers with the OEM folding pegs.

The guy who bought my 300 racebike took off the Yoshi spacers, laid it down a few times and destroyed the frame.

I've seen this with some supersports too. It's not as bad as the 300 situation though.

Old October 1st, 2017, 08:59 AM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I put folding footpegs on my Woodcraft rearsets after having to bend frame back after 1st crash. Original solid pegs did break and grind down additional 1/4" off remaining end. But still bent frame mount anyway.

My 2nd crash after that had only minor sliding damage under tip of folding peg. The shifter peg got ground down more than 1/2-way though. Fairing over alternator cover got pinched and ground all the way through along with 10mm of alternator cover. Bent handlebar and ground-down clutch lever. All replaceable parts and best of all, no frame damage!!!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; October 1st, 2017 at 10:55 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2017, 04:52 PM   #5
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

I should have added, after the crash, my stock bracket cracked, so I now have the Vortices (I can't make myself bastardize that, sorry). I think I'm gonna go with Sirref's idea of using longer mounting bolts, and probably still do some drilling to weaken up the pegs a bit.

Back when I had my SV, I had some stock risers like the Yosh ones, and they bent in a crash, while the clip ons and the frame were usable. I hadn't thought about it, but when I went to order new ones, the guy said that was actually an intended part of the design. Shame that big racing companies like Vortex et al haven't given more thought to incorporating a designated weak point into their parts that'll protect more expensive components.

Old October 1st, 2017, 06:45 PM   #6
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Really?!? Well this sucks since I have Vortex after breaking the oem when I went down.

Old October 1st, 2017, 07:37 PM   #7
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
It has little to do with it being Vortex. I bent the mounts using stock rearsets with riser plates. The frame is thin there. The best fix is not just to drill holes and run longer bolts, but to drill oversized holes and weld in tubes where the through-bolts go. This will make the frame stronger there.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2017, 08:14 PM   #8
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Tgold is right, the extra step to reinforce the frame will go a long way to minimize the risk of the frame bending there

Old October 1st, 2017, 08:53 PM   #9
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I think they made rearset mount soft on purpose to prevent the frame bending at the swingarm mounts. That's just a couple inches away and if you get enough force on rearsets, you can bend frame where swingarm mounts. Then it'll be much, much more trouble and $$$ to fix.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; October 2nd, 2017 at 07:18 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2017, 09:53 PM   #10
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Just adding on. Running OEM with Yoshi risers and PSR pegs. I actually love the PSR pegs for the price and for the grip.

I took the Vortex rearsets off my trackbike because of the frame issue.

The OEM bracket will break in a lot of crashes, but there are cheap Chinese replicas on eBay now. The only thing I haven't figured out is a cheap replacement for the shift and brake pedals when they get bent way out of spec.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:54 AM   #11
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanikrazy View Post
The only thing I haven't figured out is a cheap replacement for the shift and brake pedals when they get bent way out of spec.
These are really nice, cast aluminum with a folding tip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152173719558