Notices

Old July 12th, 2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
ugh...now I'm even more nervous (BRS)

I went to the class portion of my BRS course this evening. I'm already nervous doing things in front of people (without copious amounts of alcohol anyways) and now I'm not sure if I'm going to be comfortable on any of the bikes.

after talking to the two instructors, they recommended the rebel.It's the lowest one they have. I explained I'm not sure about the forward foot position as that's uncomfortable for me, and after looking it up, I'm not sure if it will be low enough for me. just over a 27 inch seat height and the seat looks pretty wide (I couldn't find the measurement for that). I was hoping to be able to put both feet down in this class so I can at least know what it feels like and gain that confidence.

so now I'm all nervous that I won't be comfortable or have the right feel on the bike for me. the ninja fits me like a glove, my feet under me like I'm on a horse and my legs fit into the side perfect for gripping the bike.

so, while I should be excited about saturday now I'm

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2018, 09:51 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
My daughter got stuck on a Rebel and hated it. She repeatedly had trouble finding the pegs when starting off. She now does fine on our Ninja 250.

Don't they also have Suzuki TU250s? Just tell them you're used to sport bikes and don't like feet-forward.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2018, 02:44 AM   #3
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
The Rebel will be fine. My feet didn't touch on the CRF230 I rode for the class. This is why it's not a good idea to ride before the class, the bikes available vary from place to place.
Just follow instructions, everyone there is nervous. The only people watching are the instructors to make sure you are doing things correctly. Stop worrying so much and relax. Take each lesson as it is taught and before you know it, it will be over.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 13th, 2018, 04:04 AM   #4
THusker
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

You will do fine! Remember everyone in the class is new at this, and the instructors are not expecting perfection.
Don't worry too much about gripping the bike with your legs.
Good luck and have fun with it
THusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2018, 05:55 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
My boys both rode the small enduros, but I would have loved to see them on a Rebel (my youngest is 6'4")!

You should be able to try a couple bikes and see what is best.

I agree about the forward foot position - I would have a hard time with it.

Don't be too worried about getting one or both feet flat on the ground. The bikes are small and light, and if you do end up riding a full-size dirt bike you will most likely not be able to touch flat-foot anyway.

It will work out fine. Relax and have fun. Everyone there is learning, and some have never tossed a leg over a cycle before.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2018, 10:22 AM   #6
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Breathe. You can do this. I had a V-Star for my class, more the cruiser style than sportbike, and I did ok. It's just for a short time, you can deal with a lot of things when they're temporary. Then you get your license and can get back to your awesome little Ninja and get on with things.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2018, 01:44 PM   #7
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
You'll be fine, don't worry. My wife did MSF way back when they used CB125Ts. Then she did some private-lessons afterwards and they had Rebel 250. Quite different in weight and handling, but she adjusted fine.

Remember, you're gonna have a great time! Think about all those times previously when you feared things would be horrible and they turned out great!? This is gonna be one of those! Just imagine the excitement and nervously racing heartbeat. Feeling the bike underneath you, responding instantly to your commands like it's telepathic. You're in control!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2018, 04:33 PM   #8
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
thanks for all the support, everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
My daughter got stuck on a Rebel and hated it. She repeatedly had trouble finding the pegs when starting off. She now does fine on our Ninja 250.

Don't they also have Suzuki TU250s? Just tell them you're used to sport bikes and don't like feet-forward.
they do have the suzuki. it's not much lower than my ninja, not even an inch, but it's quite a bit lighter so I think I might sit on it and see how it feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
The Rebel will be fine. My feet didn't touch on the CRF230 I rode for the class. This is why it's not a good idea to ride before the class, the bikes available vary from place to place.
Just follow instructions, everyone there is nervous. The only people watching are the instructors to make sure you are doing things correctly. Stop worrying so much and relax. Take each lesson as it is taught and before you know it, it will be over.
I'm not worried about when doing the lessons. I'm worried about the test. I've read multiple stories now from people that have recently taken a beginner's course and had the same anxieties as me. They all talked about how they did great during the lessons, but then when all eyes were on them during the test, they folded and screwed everything up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
My boys both rode the small enduros, but I would have loved to see them on a Rebel (my youngest is 6'4")!

You should be able to try a couple bikes and see what is best.

I agree about the forward foot position - I would have a hard time with it.

Don't be too worried about getting one or both feet flat on the ground. The bikes are small and light, and if you do end up riding a full-size dirt bike you will most likely not be able to touch flat-foot anyway.

It will work out fine. Relax and have fun. Everyone there is learning, and some have never tossed a leg over a cycle before.
here's what I'm seeing with the foot position. I found a pic of a Harley 48. I've sat on one before. the foot peg is not that much further forward then the Rebel. I'm going by a pic of it and the pic of the Rebel (each with a rider on the bike).

Harley - https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...z9L32VcU0dD-M:

rebel - http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...eo-review.html

Now, when I sat on the Harley, my arms and legs were stretched to the max and I was thinking to myself "how the hell do people ride like this????" That's why I'm wondering just how uncomfortable is the Rebel going to be for me. It's not that big of a difference going by the pics.

I plan on getting there a bit early and seeing if I can hop around on and off the bikes to see what feels the best for me. Right now I'm thinking I might just say screw it to getting both feet down and go with the Suzuki. Maybe bring my Heartbreaker boots as a backup

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12

Old July 13th, 2018, 04:59 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
I'm not worried about when doing the lessons. I'm worried about the test. I've read multiple stories now from people that have recently taken a beginner's course and had the same anxieties as me. They all talked about how they did great during the lessons, but then when all eyes were on them during the test, they folded and screwed everything up.
I assume Ohio isn't too different from North Carolina... my daughter failed the test at the course. She got nervous and went outside a line a few inches, and that's all it took. It didn't matter much though, since NC gives free testing. On our trip to Deals Gap a few weeks later, we went into Robbinsville and she took the road test there and passed. That being a small town, she was the only one taking it, and it was very low pressure.

It's a shame the MSF doesn't have a way to do a re-test without having to pay full price for the course again. My daughter couldn't afford another $200+ dollars, and didn't want me to pay for her mistake. A person really gets punished for having test anxiety.

Old July 13th, 2018, 05:18 PM   #10
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
I assume Ohio isn't too different from North Carolina... my daughter failed the test at the course. She got nervous and went outside a line a few inches, and that's all it took. It didn't matter much though, since NC gives free testing. On our trip to Deals Gap a few weeks later, we went into Robbinsville and she took the road test there and passed. That being a small town, she was the only one taking it, and it was very low pressure.

It's a shame the MSF doesn't have a way to do a re-test without having to pay full price for the course again. My daughter couldn't afford another $200+ dollars, and didn't want me to pay for her mistake. A person really gets punished for having test anxiety.
MSF no longer gives the certificates, it is now state funded.

Our instructors never told us when we were tested, they ran us all through the course several times and scored us at that time.

Old July 13th, 2018, 05:27 PM   #11
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
I still think you are over analyzing this. As a shorter rider they normally have a bike prepared for you, mine was lowered the night before by the mechanics. Another lady could not get on and off hers and had to use a Rebel instead. The Rebel is not like a Harley, the height and reach will be fine. If I can fit on one so can you.
You are going to worry and end up getting into your own head before you start. Stay calm and focus on each task as they come. You will start with finding the friction zone, then move on from there.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 13th, 2018, 05:34 PM   #12
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Do the TU250, the riding position and balance needs are more similar to the Ninjette than the Rebel.
And just have fun and breathe, umky!
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2018, 05:55 PM   #13
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
the class done by the state is only $50 and if you have to re-test it's free. the one instructor straight up said not to consider having to retake as an option lol. To which I replied that I'm not because it was hard enough for me to get this day off much less another one

Old July 13th, 2018, 06:05 PM   #14
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

$50 and no re-test fee is a lot better deal than it was here.

Old July 13th, 2018, 07:54 PM   #15
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

We had Z125s and Groms to choose from but I went with the Vanvan.

Old July 14th, 2018, 02:08 PM   #16
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
started off downhill and just got worse from there. I lasted 2.5 hours before I had completely blacked myself out.

they wouldn't let me ride the suzuki tu250 because I would have to one foot it. the other bikes with close to under me pegs were out because I was on tip toes. I ended up on a honda with forward pegs, but I don't think it was the rebel, I don't know. when they taught us the back brake, it was the first of many times one of the instructors had to help me. My foot was straining to turn in enough to get on it without digging my knee into the side of the tank. I actually don't think I used it at all today and I'm not sure they even noticed. another one on one time was my bike didn't like neutral. it would go to first/second, anything but. I digress....

learning the friction zone by rocking the bike back and forth...simple. no problem. learning it by walking with the bike...i stalled a couple times due to not giving it enough throttle but got passed that. or so i thought. I also VERY quickly learned the awful habit of flinstone walking when coming to a stop. I never did it before because I never thought to since I can only put one foot down on my bike. so I didn't learn my friction zone by doing said flinstone walking.

Once we started actually going around the course is when I started really getting down on myself. I couldn't help but constantly feel like I was slowing the other 10 people down because I needed more time on each exercise. each time I messed up, wether with stopping while doing the flinstone walk, being wobbly as heck trying to get my feet on the pegs at first, being told I was going slow enough to use direct steering (so of course the next time around that's what I do and I direct steered myself in the opposite direction towards a curb/grassy area. I got myself stopped a bit away from it.) so I went to counter steering the next time (the good thing about being there, I now know what that feels like!) and did it fine. but of course the next time I went outside the cones while doing it. then we went to upshifting into second and third gear. I can shift up and down just fine, but everytime I messed up something else little I was concentrating on that and forgetting where I was supposed to up/downshift because there were multiple places we were going all over between the three gears.

the one instructor didn't want me to leave but he understood that the way I was feeling it wasn't going to work. I wasn't having fun, I was downing myself for being the worst person there, and while I hadn't reached the danger zone of being kicked out, I knew that I needed a slower pace and more one on one instruction. My anxiety about group learning got the best of me, I tried my best to not let it, but bit by bit it niggled itself in there like I was worried it would. Unfortunately, there is no one on one instruction from the state and you aren't allowed to practice on the courses do to insurance liability. so now I have to figure out somehow to have someone that knows their stuff to help me practice so I can pass the bmv test/or retake the course.

so a waste of time and money for the most part, it just wasn't working for me. basically what I learned today aside from the countersteering, I had already done on my ninja, with far less anxiety and far less hiccups, all while having fun.

Old July 14th, 2018, 02:41 PM   #17
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Really sorry to hear that.

The way I see it, the program failed you - and not the other way around.

Based on what you have done on your own, I would expect you to sail right through.

Sorry to hear that you are learning on your own again. Hopefully you will be able to find some good one-on-one instruction.

I wish I was closer, and could help you. I've taught both of my boys to ride at age 4, as well as doing the majority of the instruction for their auto drivers licenses, and enjoy instructing.

Maybe a member here that is close to you can be of assistance.

I'm bummed it didn't work out for you...

Old July 14th, 2018, 02:59 PM   #18
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Really sorry to hear that.

The way I see it, the program failed you - and not the other way around.

Based on what you have done on your own, I would expect you to sail right through.

Sorry to hear that you are learning on your own again. Hopefully you will be able to find some good one-on-one instruction.

I wish I was closer, and could help you. I've taught both of my boys to ride at age 4, as well as doing the majority of the instruction for their auto drivers licenses, and enjoy instructing.

Maybe a member here that is close to you can be of assistance.

I'm bummed it didn't work out for you...
I'm just so down right now about it. I thought I would be just fine and like I said, I was the worst one in the class. several of the guys and girls there rode there own bikes to the class. only one or two had never been on a bike before, and the one girl who had only had hers for a couple months rode it to the class. the younger instructor was great (he was the one trying to talk me out of leaving), both of them were really, they tried to give me as much one on one as possible but they had 10 other people to tend to. 10 other people that seemed to be picking everything up like easy peasy. every step forward I took 2 steps back. all while basting in sweat from 90 degree heat and sunshine.

My aunt is in town for her high school reunion, I asked her about helping me but her flight leaves at 7 tomorrow morning. she's been riding forever.

Old July 14th, 2018, 04:02 PM   #19
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

I wouldn’t compare myself to the others. In my class, we had multiple people who were already riding (without a license) and were just taking the class as a formality.

I tried a bike with GP shift and forgot how confusing it was to learn how to shift. Neutral is difficult to find on some bikes (KTM). Some will let you shift right through neutral into 2nd. And the friction zones are different as well. I’ll slip the clutch a little more on demo bikes just to be safe.

Basically what I’m saying is if you’re used to your bike, it will take a while to relearn on a different bike. It may actually have hurt you to get used to the ninja. Now you have two things to learn: the bike and the material.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2018, 04:18 PM   #20
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
I wouldn’t compare myself to the others. In my class, we had multiple people who were already riding (without a license) and were just taking the class as a formality.

I tried a bike with GP shift and forgot how confusing it was to learn how to shift. Neutral is difficult to find on some bikes (KTM). Some will let you shift right through neutral into 2nd. And the friction zones are different as well. I’ll slip the clutch a little more on demo bikes just to be safe.

Basically what I’m saying is if you’re used to your bike, it will take a while to relearn on a different bike. It may actually have hurt you to get used to the ninja. Now you have two things to learn: the bike and the material.
I just couldn't help but compare at the time. I couldn't help but notice how I needed a few extra times to get something when going around the range and they were all just doing it and ready to move on while I'm thinking "hold up here, can i do it once more and try to get everything right this time???" I was getting it, just at a slower rate than they all were. Perfect example, since you brought it up, the reason the older instructor was having to spend so long with me on the shift back and forth from first to neutral exercise is because the bike I was on might go into neutral, or it might go straight into second. then instead of going into neutral it would go into first, and over and over again no matter how slightly i bumped the shifter.

I figured the friction zone would be different, I've driven stick for years, every clutch is different.

I'm usually a very quick learner, but I think because of the group aspect of it causing the anxiety, I had way too many things going on in my head. If I'm going to be in that kind of scenario I need it slowed down a bit so I can relax and get out of my head. that's not possible with so many other people involved.

Old July 14th, 2018, 05:07 PM   #21
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I'm also sorry you had a bad experience, Koala. Cheer up... tomorrow is another day!

Old July 14th, 2018, 05:50 PM   #22
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
A few options:
Email MSF and see if any instructors are willing to help with one on one...some live in cbus
Iron Pony class, they have several types of classes
Join a Facebook group or forum with riders close to you
OMRL has a race http://adkinsraceway.com in Aug. (4th) I will be there with my KLX250 I can help you during practice (race day I work pits or corners). Good chance to meet other riders too.

Old July 14th, 2018, 06:22 PM   #23
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I just couldn't help but compare at the time. I couldn't help but notice how I needed a few extra times to get something when going around the range and they were all just doing it and ready to move on while I'm thinking "hold up here, can i do it once more and try to get everything right this time???" I was getting it, just at a slower rate than they all were. Perfect example, since you brought it up, the reason the older instructor was having to spend so long with me on the shift back and forth from first to neutral exercise is because the bike I was on might go into neutral, or it might go straight into second. then instead of going into neutral it would go into first, and over and over again no matter how slightly i bumped the shifter.
They should have given you a different cycle of the same type to try instead of making you struggle with that one.

They need be be able to make alterations to accommodate the student.

Maybe they need more instructors for the size of the class. I still think they failed you.

Old July 14th, 2018, 11:57 PM   #24
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
I'm also sorry you had a bad experience, Koala. Cheer up... tomorrow is another day!
thanks, I'm trying. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I'm trying.

Quote:
A few options:
Email MSF and see if any instructors are willing to help with one on one...some live in cbus
Iron Pony class, they have several types of classes
Join a Facebook group or forum with riders close to you
OMRL has a race http://adkinsraceway.com in Aug. (4th) I will be there with my KLX250 I can help you during practice (race day I work pits or corners). Good chance to meet other riders too.
when the one instructor was talking to me off to the side just before I left, I tried to not so subtly hint at seeing if he'd help me. I explained I have nobody to help me, and he knew what I had learned so far on my bike I had to teach myself. He said to call the course coordinator and talk to them. I'll do that, as well as email Msf like you said. I also thought about talking to the 2 sales guys at state 8 and just laying it on the line, letting them know I'm at the point of being on me knees begging for help here. as for august 4th, that sounds awesome, but I work saturdays normally. It wasn't easy for me to get yesterday off, another reason I was so unhappy about it not working out.

Quote:
They should have given you a different cycle of the same type to try instead of making you struggle with that one.

They need be be able to make alterations to accommodate the student.

Maybe they need more instructors for the size of the class. I still think they failed you.
there was no other bike to give me going by their rules of having to have both feet almost flat. all the other bikes had people on them aside from the yamaha they moved out of the way. Basically, when it came to short people, there was very little choice of what to ride. The other short girl didn't care because the rebel was just like her bike. anyone of normal height got to pick between several types of bikes to find one they liked.

I got stuck with what I was on, and even though they asked if it was going to work and if I would be ok, I told them that it would have to because it was the only one low enough. As it is, I have bruises all over the insides of my thighs that kept waking me up (why I'm up right now) from the wide seat digging into them, and my wrists are killing me from the handlebar position (they were almost completely healed before yesterday).

Maybe an extra instructor could have helped, I don't know. the way it was set up, one was on one end of the range and one on the other. as you rode up to their stopping point you had the chance to say a few words before having to move on. If you needed more they told you to pull off to the side and they would get to you as soon as they could. I did that a couple times. the time that I pulled off to the side unintentionally (being told to direct steer and that making me go to the curb) the younger one noticed but he was all the way across the range. I got moving to the older one closer to me before he could come over. I was looking at him going "the bike wouldn't turn, I was looking through the turn but it was going the other way!" that's when I realized he had told me wrong and I should be countersteering. there was no instruction on that. it was just assumed that as we started the exercises that we knew what to do, and apparantly everyone else did but me. I was the one that had to ask.

Old July 15th, 2018, 07:57 AM   #25
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Sorry to hear about the bad experience. Try not to get too down on yourself and keep improving. Maybe a mindset shift can help. Feeling the slowest just means you have more room to improve. We've all been the slowest one at some point or another, but it just means we have people to follow and learn from.

Quote:
another one on one time was my bike didn't like neutral. it would go to first/second, anything but. I digress....
Yeah, this has historically been an issue on the smaller Hondas. My old Nighthawk 250 was a pain with finding neutral.

Quote:
being told I was going slow enough to use direct steering (so of course the next time around that's what I do and I direct steered myself in the opposite direction towards a curb/grassy area. I got myself stopped a bit away from it.) so I went to counter steering the next time (the good thing about being there, I now know what that feels like!) and did it fine.
Uh... Run, don't walk, from this kind of instruction. As you learned, countersteering is required at all speeds. It is a matter of physics for in-line, two wheeled vehicles at any speed, and a non-negotiable fact of life. People sometimes think they are direct steering at low speed just because they don't perceive the countersteering input.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2018, 08:52 AM   #26
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Instead of hinting you want one on one, go back today and ask for it. Not everyone picks up on hints, if you want something you have to be direct and ask.

When you do take the class in the future you need to understand you will not be using your bike. You can request to bring your own, but you need to get it there.
Again, the MSF had different levels of training and you might need to take the time to attend one of the classes (and travel).

Old July 15th, 2018, 09:37 AM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
If she can get her bike and gear to MidOhio any combo of days Aug. 18/19/20/21. I will help get her started in the right direction. Need to plan on at least 2 days though. Cost... $0 dollhairs.

Offer is on the table, just take it!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old July 15th, 2018, 10:22 AM   #28
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
I'm trying to shift my mindset back to where it was before this experience. I would have preferred being able to get on my bike first thing this morning to completely push yesterday out of my mind, but my wrists are too sore. I'm going to hold off until next Sunday and go from there, starting from the beginning.

I know when I retake the class that I won't be using my bike. An exception cannot be made for my bike because any personal bike has to be 250cc or less. From what I learned this morning, different instructors seem to have different rules on how flat your feet need to be on the ground when choosing a bike. There has been a class going on at the mall parking lot the last month or so, so when I came back from my grocery shopping this morning I stopped to chat with them. It turns out it is also Motorcycle Ohio, but the one done through nearby Rubber City Harley. Their range is on one part of the lot that never gets used. They both told me that they would have let me ride any of the first 3 I tried, even the one that I would have had to one foot. It also seemed like they go at a slower pace. The woman out of the pair wrote down her name and number for me and told me they would be out for the Ravenna area BRS in late August, or I could pay the extra cash and take it through Rubber City. The bikes they are using are all exactly the same, though I'm not sure what they are. They are black and orange/red and look almost like a sport bike. I've never seen a Harley like it. She did say they are 500cc.

@csmith12 thank you so much for your quick response. I'm going to take a look at my work calendar tomorrow morning and get with you. As long as the dates aren't blacked out for days off, a Sunday/Monday should work for me to get out there.

Old July 15th, 2018, 11:25 AM   #29
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Most likely they are using these new HD 500s - https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...d-pricing.html

Old July 15th, 2018, 11:29 AM   #30
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Most likely they are using these new HD 500s - https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...d-pricing.html
that was the closest thing I found to it when looking on the Harley site, but it still looks different. The bike is very sporty and all black with the orangey accents almost looking like bars or something on the sides. I'll have to take a pic if I can next Sunday.

*just got off the phone with them, it is the street 500 in all black with added orange crash bars (their version of frame sliders?).

Old July 15th, 2018, 11:33 AM   #31
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
that was the closest thing I found to it when looking on the Harley sight, but it still looks different. The bike is very sporty and all black with the orangey accents almost looking like bars or something on the sides. I'll have to take a pic if I can next Sunday.
This?

https://www.harley-davidson.com/ca/e...treet-500.html

Old July 15th, 2018, 11:52 AM   #32
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
sorry, I just edited my post, it is that bike in all black with orange crash bars.

Old July 15th, 2018, 06:04 PM   #33
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
@jkv45 (since you said you think the program failed me) and anyone else that has read/responded to this thread.

should I say something to whoever is in charge of the Motorcycle Ohio program?

I just keep thinking about how yesterday went.

1. How I was forced to take a bike that was uncomfortable to me because of my height when I had made my concerns known ahead of time due to reading what people have taken the MSF have said about different low bikes available or having a bike lowered for them and other coaches in the program stated they would have let me ride on tippy toes/one foot down if I was comfortable that way.

2. I had thought I remembered reading that in the MSF the coach will show you the diagram of what you are doing then show you on a bike before having the class do it. It was confirmed by a rider on Reddit that just passed his MSF today. His class had 8 people to 1 instructor because the other didn't show, but they still took the time to get everyone on the same page. This class all we got was a look at the diagram and a description of what we were going to do (this was done not for each exercise but multiple at a time). I kept getting lost because I needed more time to get things right. Seeing each exercise done on a bike first would have helped me to remember what to do.

3. barely any feedback when it came to exercises where we went around the range. I was basically having to ask the questions to try and figure out how I was doing when stopping at one of the coaches because the only feedback I would get otherwise was to stop flinstoning my feet when coming to a stop cuz I could break my ankles. The younger one would ask if I was ok or how i was feeling, but I'm talking constructive feedback.

4. being rushed because everyone else was picking it up immediately.

I just can't help but feel it could have been done better, but at the same time I know I was the only slow one in the group, so I'm not sure, you know?

Old July 15th, 2018, 06:46 PM   #34
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
@jkv45 (since you said you think the program failed me) and anyone else that has read/responded to this thread.

should I say something to whoever is in charge of the Motorcycle Ohio program?

-SNIP-
I think that's a great idea. They should want to know that the program didn't work for you and why.

You never know how many others have felt the same way, and struggled with the same issues - but didn't say anything.

If I was running the program, I would want to know the reason someone left the program or was not satisfied.

Learning to ride in a controlled environment with trained instructors shouldn't be difficult or stressful if done properly. The program needs to be flexible, with attentive instructors that are ready to make immediate accommodations to keep the student on-track.

Old July 15th, 2018, 07:06 PM   #35
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
To be clear the MSF is NOT the BRS. They are not related, stating the MSF did anything is not correct. They have nothing to do with the Ohio BRS. You keep calling it the wrong thing, this could be confusing to others. Your information could be incorrect as well, you might be getting information about a class that has or had nothing to do with what you took.
Stop calling it the MSF, you are giving them a bad name that is not deserved since you did not take a class taught by them.
MSF has several different programs that can help people in your situation, they are not local to you is the issue.

Remember you quit the class. They tried to get you to stay. #4 was your own anxiety, ride your own ride and ask questions is what you were told to do. Worrying about others was your choice. No one would have carried if you would need more attention. Did anyone complain to you? We're you told to hurry up? Did you ask for a demonstration of the maneuvers?
Because you started getting use to your bike, no bike other than yours was going to feel right. You needed to give it the full day.
I am 5' and rode a bike a little large for me, I was sore and bruised afterwards as well. I had never been on a bike or even started one before the class. I had issues off and on, mentally I had to get past it so I could continue. I almost wrecked in front of everyone, I took it as a lesson learned and moved on so I could learn the next step.

If you contact them, make sure you contact the right group. MSF would help you if you take the time to travel to one of thier classes.

Stop reading about advanced skill drills and methods until you learn to ride the basics. You are just going to confuse yourself. Coaches tell you to do something to get an action, they do this in few words so its easy to process. Over explaining turns to confusing, exposing multiple actions becomes cumbersome.

I am sorry if this is harsh, but I feel you need to take some responsibility to what happened. Many members here told you to wait, we did this to try to help you.

You can do this, you just need to try the actual MSF and then take the test or another method. The BRS is a great class for most people, just not everyone.

Old July 16th, 2018, 02:44 AM   #36
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
first off, let me apologize for any confusion I may have caused from my last post.

I was not in the MSF, I was in the program that replaced them in my state - Motorcycle Ohio.

what I was asking, was going by my experience, should I say something to Motorcycle Ohio. Because in comparison with others, it seems that they may have replaced the old program (MSF) with something that might not be as good for everyone involved.

I do take some responsibility for what happened. I know I took myself out when I was asked to stay. the reason I did so, is the mental state I was in. I did not want to reach the point where I might become a danger to myself or to others in the class nor did I want to impact their learning.

Worst case scenario - I could have gotten hurt due to a combination of my anxiety and their lack of direction.

Best case scenario - I could have stayed and done the drills, but I would have just been doing it to get through the day in one piece, not having fun and not actually learning anything.

the two instructors where very nice guys, and very knowledgeable. However, it was obvious that this class was not right for me. I was in the middle of the group able to see everyone else moving along alot faster, and people in my mirrors waiting on me. also, trying to get feedback on how I was doing shouldn't have felt like pulling teeth.

I already have plans to get myself back on track. I asked for help so I can get back on track. I was given the advice by the other instructors I talked to to just ride on my own and keep practicing, and then come back to their BRS that is in a smaller area so it normally has less people. they seemed more understanding of my issues with anxiety and the bike and most importantly THEY WERE WILLING TO WORK WITH ME. what i said to them didn't go in one ear and out the other to be followed with the canned response of "nobody here is watching you, everyone is making mistakes" line.

As I said, I take some responsibility but I think it goes to them as well. If hearing about my experience can help the Motorcycle Ohio program be a good thing for everyone that goes, not just people with no issues/anxieties at all, I think that would be a good thing.

Old July 16th, 2018, 03:18 AM   #37
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Just to add this in here...

2 attempts were also made by me to get myself comfortable enough to stay. I had previously asked if I could change into my boots and get on one of the other bikes. that was nixed. so when the final moment came and the one was trying to get me to stay, I was telling him I needed it slowed down a bit, I needed more one on one.I told him that multiple times in that conversation. He wasn't able to say I could get that.

Old July 16th, 2018, 03:33 PM   #38
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Try going to a class and just watching them. Seeing the drills from the sidelines might help. You could even record the drills.
This includes the OMRL race on Aug. 5th (Sunday), come and watch some of the riders. You would be amazed at what you might learn from observing in person, you could also ask questions and meet some friendly faces.

Same as any track day... Just go watch and get to know some of the riders, you never know who might be close to you or who might help.

Don't give up, and don't give in to your condition. Once You get through you will learn, it will be the most relaxing thing you can do.

Old July 16th, 2018, 04:03 PM   #39
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Try going to a class and just watching them. Seeing the drills from the sidelines might help. You could even record the drills.
This includes the OMRL race on Aug. 5th (Sunday), come and watch some of the riders. You would be amazed at what you might learn from observing in person, you could also ask questions and meet some friendly faces.

Same as any track day... Just go watch and get to know some of the riders, you never know who might be close to you or who might help.

Don't give up, and don't give in to your condition. Once You get through you will learn, it will be the most relaxing thing you can do.
I can see about going to watch a class. I won't be able to record, Motorcycle Ohio doesn't allow that. I'm going to go to Mid O and get instruction from csmith12. I already checked my work calendar and cleared it with the owner to get that Monday off so I can go Sunday/Monday. I just gotta get a hold of him to work out the details (just got home from work).

I'm not giving up. I credit that partially to my being stubborn and partially to my having ridden my bike a few times. If I hadn't done that and already proved to myself that I can ride a motorcycle if I practice and put my mind to it, this class experience would have left me thinking that maybe it wasn't for me. But thanks to my bike, I know I can, and I know that rush and that feeling of that huge grin on my face when riding down my street, and I'm not letting that go.

Old July 16th, 2018, 04:10 PM   #40
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Do you remember the first time you drove a car? Or learned to drive? Or the second car you drove?

I ask because there are somethings that are similar. You will need to learn control, muscle memory, how to react quickly, how to maneuver, etc...
So, start with things you can do... Get familiar with the controls. Just like the class... Can you walk your bike (Flintstone)? If not start there. Then move on to the next thing they showed you... Master each movement before going to the next.