ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old April 10th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #1
inbox526
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quality issues with the shogun frame sliders

Heres the story: Went to school today on the bike, nothing was out of the ordinary with the ride. Going along like usual, no weird noises, rattling, anything. Went to class, and after getting back to the bike, its discovered that my left side Shogun slider puck and tab have completely broken off of the frame on the inside. It was just hanging there between my fairing and the engine case.

Of course I'm thinking someone dropped my bike and picked it back up, and that the sliders had did its job. But further inspection of the slider shows that it has absolutely zero marks on it. Its pristine, but for the weak welding on the tab.

The only explanation I can personally come up with is that it simply snapped off from the vibrations of the bike, which calls some serious attention to the quality of this product.. I got it June '09 from Richard of RaceBikeRentals here at ninjette, and it's taken this long for the problem to show up.. Of course I understand this is Shogun's problem, not his, but what should I do?

Pictures:
The tab side that snapped off the frame.

Entire broken off puck and tab. It's completely clean!

Heres the very tip of the puck. It's pristine, so I know it didn't fall down and snap off.

Blurry picture of the frame. Thats the frame in the middle, with the weld mark where the tab used to be.

Heres a picture of the right side puck, which HAS protected my bike from a garage drop AND being knocked over by cars backing into it, twice. The scratches are too obvious here.

Picture off of RaceBikeRentals as comparison.

Last futzed with by inbox526; April 11th, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
inbox526 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #2
FerociousNINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja TwoFiddy

Arrow

I just installed my shogun frame sliders/crash kits and it's solid. IMO since you took the moto to school some punk kid sat on your moto and thought the frame sliders were stunt pegs (for standing), put his fat a$$ weight on the far extreme of the peg/puck and SNAP!

Get it welded and be glad they didn't knock your moto over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shogun-250r.jpg (124.6 KB, 9 views)
FerociousNINJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #3
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

You could call Shogun, send them back the peg/puck/slider or the pictures of it and see what they say. It may have been a defective weld. Standing on that shouldn't have cracked it off like that. Maybe they will send you out a new one to save their reputation and for goodwill.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #4
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Looks like poor weld penetration.

Old April 10th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #5
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerociousNINJA View Post
I just installed my shogun frame sliders/crash kits and it's solid. IMO since you took the moto to school some punk kid sat on your moto and thought the frame sliders were stunt pegs (for standing), put his fat a$$ weight on the far extreme of the peg/puck and SNAP!
Hmmm now that is quite the probability considering the weak weld. But you'd think it would have scratched the fairing a little on its way down from the pressure of the foot breaking it away... (this is why we alarm our bikes)
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #6
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Lousy weld. Call them. They'll send you a new piece.

Old April 10th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #7
TS250
ninjette.org member

Name: MARCO

Motorcycle(s): 2008 NINJA 250, BLACK, 650 NINJA 2009, RED, F 650GS BMW 2012 YELLOW

Sliders

That my friend is why I went with the Sato set. I did not have to modify any thing. I believe that with yours you have to cut the gear casing to make the anchor bolt fit. I could be wrong on that, but the Sato ones are very high quality and are track tested on 250's.
TS250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #8
FerociousNINJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja TwoFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
Hmmm now that is quite the probability considering the weak weld. But you'd think it would have scratched the fairing a little on its way down from the pressure of the foot breaking it away... (this is why we alarm our bikes)
Thinking about it and reviewing mines it does sound like weak welding... may bad.
FerociousNINJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #9
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Sounds like a bad weld. Call Oliver at Moto911 and discuss it with him. I can vouch that normally, these welds are very strong. I crashed my bike in a race last month. The bike was pretty much destroyed, but the Shogun sliders held up pretty well. The right side mount tab is bent down about an inch, but other than that, they held up better than the bike did

Old April 11th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #10
inbox526
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): None yet

yea theres no scratches or cracks on the fairings where the slider broke off at all.. and it was Friday heh, no classes there on Fridays, I was on campus for a club meeting.

I'll call Shogun later today and find out what happens.

And was it just me that took 4 hours to install these things or am I slightly retarded?

Oh and your name is Richard. Sorry
inbox526 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #11
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbox526 View Post

And was it just me that took 4 hours to install these things or am I slightly retarded?

Lol do you really want me to answer that.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 08:28 AM   #12
ninja98r
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mo

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Broken weld on Shogun Frame Slider

Hello All,

The exact same thing happened to my slider....
It just snapped of when washing my bike? No impact what so ever!

Debating if I should just take it to a welder without disassembly or order a new left side rail? Thoughts?

Can't seem to find a contact number for Shogun - wondering if anyone can assist?

Thanks in advance.
ninja98r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:48 PM   #13
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Call Oliver at Shogun on Monday. He's usually there early.

949-453-9111 Ext:102

Old July 26th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #14
TS250
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 NINJA 250, BLACK, 650 NINJA 2009, RED, F 650GS BMW 2012 YELLOW

With the 250r I would highly recommend the Sato sliders. Best quality and the best looks. You can leave them on even when you take the sides off. You are better off with this than having your broken one fixed. ( just to have it brake at the worse time, just me saying that)

Old July 31st, 2011, 05:20 PM   #15
jenndiggity
ninjette.org member

Name: Jennifer

Motorcycle(s): Black 2011 Ninja 250R

Where did you get the Sato sliders? I don't see that they make them for 2011 250R:
http://www.satoracing.com/frameslidertop.htm
jenndiggity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 05:37 PM   #16
kevheads
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Green 250R

go to your link then go to "home" at the bottom, then click on "frame sliders" and the 250 is listed there. Awful pricey, the 250's are more expensive than every other Kaw. bike.
kevheads is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 06:14 PM   #17
jenndiggity
ninjette.org member

That is pricy- I think I'm going with the Shogun 3 piece set for $209. THANKS!

Old July 31st, 2011, 08:43 PM   #18
TS250
ninjette.org member

Sato sliders

If you are getting the Shogun for $209.00. They are more expensive than the Sato ( $199.00). I will tell you that I got the 250r the first year that they came out, and nobody made the sliders for those. I got some nocut brand (Intuitive, I think) they seem well made and also were not that much , I had them until I had a low speed spill on my own drive way. They actually did more damage to the bike than if I would have gone down without them. Since I looked for the better made product, Shogun for the 250 demands that you cut your cover for the sprocket, and I have seen ( about them on websites anyway )way too many brackets that have come broken just with the vibration of the bike alone. I did have many "talks" with the guys from Kyles ( Sato's reps) and they test their products on the track. The R & G ones only work on the European models, but are way more expensive than anything else I've seen. I have those for my 650 2009 one and they are very well made product, I did drop that bike and no scratch on anything but the plastic slider itself.
Well thats my 2 cents on that topic, you will choose whatever you feel is better for you ride, but I hope that my mishaps will help someone out there.

Old July 31st, 2011, 09:01 PM   #19
jenndiggity
ninjette.org member

Question

Oops, should have clarified- it's $209 for the 3 piece set, frame, swingarm and end sliders. Motorcyclesupstore.com shows that there are no adapters or mods required.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/newre...ote=1&p=338038

Old July 31st, 2011, 10:00 PM   #20
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndiggity View Post
Oops, should have clarified- it's $209 for the 3 piece set, frame, swingarm and end sliders. Motorcyclesupstore.com shows that there are no adapters or mods required.
This guy put them on his Ninja and he had to cut the cover...he called it the shift shaft cover lol

Link to original page on YouTube.

If you do get them and install them can you let us know if you had to cut anything or not. I want to put them on my bike but I really don't want to cut anything

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #21
squaregamer476
learning stages

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): black 09 kawasaki ninja 250

darn, i have those shogun sliders installed on my 250. im having second thoughts on the sliders now. im gonna have to check on it.
I installed them thanks to ninjette. I think they have a DIY on it. its been a while since i last did it. I had to cut a piece of the shift shaft cover. I cut about 2 inches in and along the line where the piece starts to go at an angle i believe.
the hardest part of the whole experience was taking the fairings off.
if you get those bracket types like the pictures shown earlier your gonna have to cut. the shift shaft cover covers one of the engine bolts that part of the bracket goes to.
squaregamer476 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2011, 05:45 PM   #22
TheMojoRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Ninja

Motorcycle(s): Ninja!

This exact thing happen to the right side of the Shogun slider I have. Good think I found this thread as I'll be giving Oliver a jingle on Monday
TheMojoRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #23
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Moto911 has great customer support and will take care of you if you have a problem. BTW, why pay $209 when you can save $20 at my store? Free shipping, too

Old August 28th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #24
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBikeRentals View Post
Moto911 has great customer support and will take care of you if you have a problem. BTW, why pay $209 when you can save $20 at my store? Free shipping, too
My Shogun kit will arrive this Tuesday and hopefully I don't have the poor weld issue.

I ordered the kit from Richard who has the best price I could find.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #25
jenndiggity
ninjette.org member

I had ordered my Shoguns before I saw the rest of the posts. I've printed my return lables and will be looking into the other suggestions. Sliders are no where to be skimping!

Old August 30th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #26
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndiggity View Post
I had ordered my Shoguns before I saw the rest of the posts. I've printed my return lables and will be looking into the other suggestions. Sliders are no where to be skimping!
Shoguns are the best frame sliders for the 250... I wouldn't suggest looking for others. If you look into the other styles of sliders there are even more issues. The weld issue is ... weird. I have had mine on for a year with no issues, I'm sure it's a rare occurrence and it seems that they have no issue with replacing defective merch.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #27
jenndiggity
ninjette.org member

Ok so after reading that link about sliders I've decided to stay with the Shoguns. Richard sells them for about $20 cheaper than Motorcycle Superstore. Thanks to all !

Old August 30th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #28
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

My Shogun kit arrived today. Inspected the kit and found the welds to be solid.
Time will tell if they are faulty or not.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote