ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Order
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (race), 01 Ninja ZX6R (race), 00 Ninja ZX6R (street), 03 R6 (race)

Tyga Performance vs. PLMFG Power Driven - Cheap Full Exhaust Systems

TYGA Round Aluminum Full Race Exhaust – Under $320!
http://www.aftermarketcycles.com/tyg...ninja-250.html
Get 8% off with Coupon Code: racingorder

LATEST UPDATE: TYGA Aluminum Exhaust + Factory Pro jet kit dyno results:
http://racingorder.com/2010/11/ninja...-dyno-results/

WITH VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AuqIW-3bo4

UPDATE: I've since purchased a TYGA Aluminum Race System and dynoed it!
Here are the results: http://racingorder.com/2010/10/tyga-...-dyno-results/

2008+ Ninja 250R Full Exhaust Systems for cheap ba$tard$...lets be honest, they're not likely the best possible option, but those will cost $200+ more.

Does anyone have thoughts on how these compare?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Tyga and here is my reasoning.. The o2 sensor option would be great for tuning the carb w/AEM UEGO Wideband. In addition, the exhaust system has a mid-mount point which will cut down on vibrations. That and overall appearance gives me the impression more thought was put into designing the Tyga.

Tyga Performance
- Comes in multiple pieces held together with springs
- Has o2 sensor option for FI biks, also great to help with tuning carbed bikes
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...t=tyga+exhaust
- Has mid-mount for header

vs.

PLMFG Power Driven
- Comes in two pieces (header + can)
http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...l-exhaust.html

....thoughts?

Last futzed with by Order; November 12th, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
Order is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #2
dchun
ninjette.org member

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

im really happy with the PLMFG exhaust.

its a tad too loud for me but for the price (i paid $150) it cant be beat.

it would be nice to get some sound clips of the tyga exhausts.
dchun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #3
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Have a read... valued information when I was looking for exhaust.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46500

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #4
keeyu
ninjette.org member

Name: kenny

Motorcycle(s): 250r

I have the PLMG. It is very loud. My ears are still ringing.
keeyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 09:29 AM   #5
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeyu View Post
I have the PLMG. It is very loud. My ears are still ringing.
Please take care of your ears wether your exhaust is loud or not. Wind noise alone can destroy your hearing. Earplugs are cheap and IMHO it makes your ride more peaceful and allows you to really focus on staying alive especially for me in this Florida traffic.

Old September 20th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Order
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (race), 01 Ninja ZX6R (race), 00 Ninja ZX6R (street), 03 R6 (race)

Why did everyone go with PLMFG vs. Tyga?

Old September 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #7
dubojr1

I didn't. I have the CF Quite Core from Area P. Love it!

Old September 20th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Order View Post
Why did everyone go with PLMFG vs. Tyga?
who "everyone"?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #9
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

If I had to choose between the two I would choose Tyga.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #10
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Gawd why do people keep bringing up that AP rip off exhaust? Ugh makes me so angry. There is a reason why it's cheap, the guy did no R&D, ripped off AreaP (and admitted it), and the quality is questionable.

You get what you pay for this day in age, if it's cheap... there is something wrong.

I've found that most people on this forum have the AreaP Quiet Core exhaust either the 18" or the custom 15".
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Order
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
who "everyone"?
Those who responded saying they picked up a PLMFG.

Old September 20th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #12
kkim

most likely because when they bought their AP ripoff, Tyga wasn't even on the market.

Old September 20th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #13
Order
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJunkie View Post
Gawd why do people keep bringing up that AP rip off exhaust? Ugh makes me so angry. There is a reason why it's cheap, the guy did no R&D, ripped off AreaP (and admitted it), and the quality is questionable.

You get what you pay for this day in age, if it's cheap... there is something wrong.

I've found that most people on this forum have the AreaP Quiet Core exhaust either the 18" or the custom 15".
For as long as there is currency if you have a product selling for ~$500 and a rip-off for $150, people will buy the cheaply made version. Not everyone... but plenty.

I'm pretty sold on the Tyga. It's in my price range, and they're a reputable company.

Old September 20th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #14
kkim

Quote:
I'm pretty sold on the Tyga. It's in my price range, and they're a reputable company.
have they posted a dyno graph on the gains their system produces?

Old September 20th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #15
dubojr1

I'm glad to see that those who know Area P support them to the fullest!

Old September 20th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #16
ninja man
ninjette.org member

Name: alan

Motorcycle(s): ninja250r , zrx1200r, vfr800, cb1300s.

i have a tyga system on my ninja paid £300 for it worth every penny imho
ninja man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #17
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
I'm glad to see that those who know Area P support them to the fullest!

One of the local bike club's president has an AreaP bike. It makes me smile every time I see it. I need to take a picture of it next time he shows up to bike night.

Old September 20th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #18
Chubbs032
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Got PLFMG and would buy it again in an instant.
Chubbs032 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2010, 04:31 AM   #19
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs032 View Post
Got PLFMG and would buy it again in an instant.
Let's say for a moment that I would have paid for any exhaust for your bike. Would you have still chosen the knockoff?

Old September 21st, 2010, 05:20 AM   #20
dchun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Let's say for a moment that I would have paid for any exhaust for your bike. Would you have still chosen the knockoff?
if cost wasnt an issue im pretty sure most people would go with the area p/"real" version"
i think you are missing the point, any person with common sense would realize that the area p exhaust has more R&D, proven to work, and has the support of a reputable company.

not everyone has the money to spend on a higher priced system.

I knew that the PLMFG exhaust probably would not have the same quality and results as the area p but spending $500 on a exhaust was not going to fly for my budget. I was planning on spending at most $300 so the area p exhaust was not on my list, i wasn't even a prospective customer to area p.

Old September 21st, 2010, 06:21 AM   #21
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchun View Post
if cost wasnt an issue im pretty sure most people would go with the area p/"real" version"
i think you are missing the point, any person with common sense would realize that the area p exhaust has more R&D, proven to work, and has the support of a reputable company.

not everyone has the money to spend on a higher priced system.

I knew that the PLMFG exhaust probably would not have the same quality and results as the area p but spending $500 on a exhaust was not going to fly for my budget. I was planning on spending at most $300 so the area p exhaust was not on my list, i wasn't even a prospective customer to area p.

All do respect, I think you are missing the point. Area P did all the R&D for that knock-off system. Being your budget was set at $300 and you still chose to go with the lower quality system with no respectful warranty or company backing your purchase proves that you got exactly what you wanted...a low cost noise box.

If it were your product that someone else decided to steal and sell it would be a different story. I just could not support a company that would do that.

Cost was not all I considered during my purchase from Area P and if the truth be known...I actually purchased what they call a "blem" system to reduce the cost. I wanted a product that was proven to increase HP & torque, that would last the long haul, was supported by a reputable company that had great customer service, and the bonus in this case was I wouldn't destroy my hearing and off everyone around me with the unnecessary noise.

I understand everyone can't afford to spend $500 on an exhaust system. IMHO Tyga seems to have some quality exhaust at a reasonable cost and would have been the better choice over the PLMFG. To me...that would have been the better "common sense" decision. Just my

Old September 21st, 2010, 06:53 AM   #22
dchun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
All do respect, I think you are missing the point. Area P did all the R&D for that knock-off system. Being your budget was set at $300 and you still chose to go with the lower quality system with no respectful warranty or company backing your purchase proves that you got exactly what you wanted...a low cost noise box.

If it were your product that someone else decided to steal and sell it would be a different story. I just could not support a company that would do that.

Cost was not all I considered during my purchase from Area P and if the truth be known...I actually purchased what they call a "blem" system to reduce the cost. I wanted a product that was proven to increase HP & torque, that would last the long haul, was supported by a reputable company that had great customer service, and the bonus in this case was I wouldn't destroy my hearing and off everyone around me with the unnecessary noise.

I understand everyone can't afford to spend $500 on an exhaust system. IMHO Tyga seems to have some quality exhaust at a reasonable cost and would have been the better choice over the PLMFG. To me...that would have been the better "common sense" decision. Just my
Of course i knew that the PLMFG exhaust would not be the same. this was the trade off i was willing to make. yes, changing the sound was one of my goals and i would be getting a more free flowing exhaust.
this exhaust combined with the dynojet kit fulfilled my goals of a new sound and more power (of course maybe not as much as the area p but i do notice the slight increase).

as for the argument that PLMFG copied area p, it is just how the economy works. companies will copy other products if they can, meaning if the design is not protected by a patent or is easily figured out. if a company wants to stay competitive or unique they need to protect their designs or keep innovating to make it "worth" it to buy from them. of course what something is worth to a consumer is different for everyone. im all for having more choices in the market.

i just think its unfair to accuse everyone of being ignorant for purchasing a lower price, possible lower quality product. I knew what i was buying. I knew the warranty would never match up to a more established company. i knew it wasnt dyno tested. it was just an exhaust for my first, cheap bike.

Old September 21st, 2010, 07:20 AM   #23
dubojr1

Quote:
Of course i knew that the PLMFG exhaust would not be the same. this was the trade off i was willing to make. yes, changing the sound was one of my goals and i would be getting a more free flowing exhaust.
this exhaust combined with the dynojet kit fulfilled my goals of a new sound and more power (of course maybe not as much as the area p but i do notice the slight increase).

as for the argument that PLMFG copied area p, it is just how the economy works. companies will copy other products if they can, meaning if the design is not protected by a patent or is easily figured out. if a company wants to stay competitive or unique they need to protect their designs or keep innovating to make it "worth" it to buy from them. of course what something is worth to a consumer is different for everyone. im all for having more choices in the market.

i just think its unfair to accuse everyone of being ignorant for purchasing a lower price, possible lower quality product. I knew what i was buying. I knew the warranty would never match up to a more established company. i knew it wasnt dyno tested. it was just an exhaust for my first, cheap bike.

I have reviewed my posts and I don't believe I have "accussed" anyone of anything. My point from asking if I were paying for his exhaust was to stimulate his reasoning behind why he chose the knock-off. I wanted to know if the research had be done or if the price was the only deciding factor.

It sounds as if you totally understood and knew that not only were you getting a knock-off but also you understood there would be no high expectations from what you had purchased. I guess I just look at these things differently than you. I understand now that you purchase "cheap" products for your "cheap" bike. To each his own I guess. I have no "cheap" bikes.

I however still respectfully disagree that stealing someone's design/product is the "norm" for today's businesses. A reputable company will in fact design, R&D, prototype, research the market, produce and then distribute their own products.

Old September 21st, 2010, 08:09 AM   #24
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Kerry couldn't patent the standard exhaust. In order to gain a patent for an item it needs to be significantly different and unique and there is no blanket patent that would cover all of his exhausts. I believe he said (this discussion was over 2 weeks ago) that is difficult patent a standard exhaust because they all have the same basic parts. Of course when it comes to the race system that he is making he already has a patent on it because it is unique enough to obtain a patent. Kerry has seen many "companies" steal designs for exhaust systems in his experience and honestly there is nothing anyone can do besides know that the other guy will most likely tank. Come on, why in the world would that knockoff exhaust start at $300 and then magically drop to $150 over a period of time... something is wrong with it.

Stealing happens all the time. My favorite is the knockoff New Balance sneakers. We have all heard of fake Oakleys, fake Coach bags, fake Rolex's. There are many crooks in this world and unfortunately honest businesses and honest buyers get taken advantage of all too often.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:16 AM   #25
Ceir
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 BLACK

Although I plan on getting an area p exhuast when I have the money I have to say you can't get angry when someone buys a cheaper version of a similar product. Do you get angry if you see someone shopping at walmart buying the equate version of advil or any generic drug for that matter. Everyone has to make choices based on their budget. Certain things you are willing to pay the extra money for to make sure you are getting a top quality product other things you are willing to settle for a cheaper version of the same thing. Everyone has different priorities. Not everyone can afford to have, what for many is considered a recreational vehicle, as their top priority. So unless you are willing to help out with the cost for someone to get the name brand product you shouldn't get angry with them for shopping within their budget. Just my
Ceir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:31 AM   #26
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceir View Post
Although I plan on getting an area p exhuast when I have the money I have to say you can't get angry when someone buys a cheaper version of a similar product. Do you get angry if you see someone shopping at walmart buying the equate version of advil or any generic drug for that matter. Everyone has to make choices based on their budget. Certain things you are willing to pay the extra money for to make sure you are getting a top quality product other things you are willing to settle for a cheaper version of the same thing. Everyone has different priorities. Not everyone can afford to have, what for many is considered a recreational vehicle, as their top priority. So unless you are willing to help out with the cost for someone to get the name brand product you shouldn't get angry with them for shopping within their budget. Just my
Again Wal-mart did NOT steal a product to sell. Wal-mart negotiates pricing with a particular company to buy in bulk in return for reduced cost on a product that they can brand as their own. No where near the same situation.

The knock-off company has no negotiated deals with Area P to produce their product.

Also, I want to say that I'm not mad at anyone. I just want them to be informed on their decision to buy an inferior product with no reputable warranty from a company that ripped off another companies product/design to profit from. Why is that so hard to understand?

Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:05 AM   #27
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

cause for the overwhelming majority of people in our society, the only thing that matters is $$...................sad but true.
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:07 AM   #28
dchun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Again Wal-mart did NOT steal a product to sell. Wal-mart negotiates pricing with a particular company to buy in bulk in return for reduced cost on a product that they can brand as their own. No where near the same situation.

The knock-off company has no negotiated deals with Area P to produce their product.
buying in bulk vs producing/selling a copy is not the same thing. almost all generic drugs are direct copies of the name brand stuff. they can do this because either the drug wasn't patented or the patent ran out. the name brand drug companies have to keep improving and changing their drugs to stay ahead of the competition. this is how the market works.

its not stealing if they dont own the design and by own i mean they have some way of protecting it with a patent or special design and/or manufacturing method. like someone mentioned before most exhaust designs cannot be patented because it is not unique enough.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:36 AM   #29
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
cause for the overwhelming majority of people in our society, the only thing that matters is $$...................sad but true.
I agree totally Vince. I'm tired of beating this dead horse.

For most I think the point is clear. I give up

Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:59 AM   #30
lux
ninjette.org guru

Name: lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
No offense, but I don't think you understand what you wrote here.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM   #31
Order
ninjette.org member

I ordered the Tyga.

I'm looking into the Factory Pro vs. Dynojet kits...

The dyno won't lie, I'll get a before/after. I'm tired of reading about opinions, I want facts.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 02:25 PM   #32
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I ordered the Tyga.

I'm looking into the Factory Pro vs. Dynojet kits...

The dyno won't lie, I'll get a before/after. I'm tired of reading about opinions, I want facts.
As far as I could tell from internet searching there is no dyno chart for the Tyga system. It will be interesting to see one. That is another one of the issues with the cheaper exhausts, there was little or no R&D put into them so the gains in performance are assumed.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:56 PM   #33
TygaUSA.com
Tyga Performance

Name: TygaUSA

Motorcycle(s): Honda's!

Quote:
As far as I could tell from internet searching there is no dyno chart for the Tyga system. It will be interesting to see one. That is another one of the issues with the cheaper exhausts, there was little or no R&D put into them so the gains in performance are assumed.

To be fair, I don't really know anything about the other exhaust (PLMFG) mentioned here so can't really say anything about that but the Tyga system is not "cheap" per se, just heavily discounted right now as we (TygaUSA) are new to the States!

Tyga actually has a nearly decade long history of building exhausts, mainly two stroke but they are doing more four stroke stuff every day.

When Tyga first made the Ninja 250 exhaust they had sent a few sets to the UK (being British and all) and were a bit let down by some third parties who have not finished dyno testing it. Tyga also has done their own testing but feel that independent 3rd party tests are a bit more objective.

I have urged them to put their 2008 250R back on the Dyno but it will have to wait for a bit as that bike is ripped apart for some bodywork/composite testing/fitting.

It looks like 1-2 guys here will do some independent testing and post up their results and I look forward to it, Tyga makes really nice stuff, and when it comes to their exhausts they always perform well.
TygaUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #34
Order
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I updated my main post, but I wanted to reply to you... I took it upon myself to purchase a TYGA exhaust and have it dynoed. Luckily it paid off, as the results couldn't have been much better in my opinion!

Here is a writeup with dyno chart: http://racingorder.com/2010/10/tyga-...-dyno-results/

Old November 3rd, 2010, 03:06 AM   #35
ninja3575
ninjette.org addict

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

So I'd like to contribute the newbie question of the day... If i buy a slip on... will i have to make some engine adjustments? such as shimming? or is that the nature of that type of exhaust... "quick and easy attach and go" ...
ninja3575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:03 AM   #36
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

You be the judge

Link to original page on YouTube.

g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:00 AM   #37
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

I would have posted the update in a new thread so it doesn't get drowned out by the original debate.

Nice results, and thanks for putting it all together! It is very interesting you didn't need to re-jet :O .

Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:38 AM   #38
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
All do respect, I think you are missing the point. Area P did all the R&D for that knock-off system.
I had seen some posts where they(ap) did some dyno runs with different mufflers. I really wonder how many headers they went thru/tried?? If they are so great in making a full system, why dont they make some for other bikes? Seems like all I see is slip-ons listed... I know lots of folks that would buy a header for the R1 to ditch the dam exup.......... lots of money to be had for them
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2010, 07:59 AM   #39
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
I had seen some posts where they(ap) did some dyno runs with different mufflers. I really wonder how many headers they went thru/tried?? If they are so great in making a full system, why dont they make some for other bikes? Seems like all I see is slip-ons listed... I know lots of folks that would buy a header for the R1 to ditch the dam exup.......... lots of money to be had for them
If you got the dime... I'm sure Kerry (Area P) has the time. Their motto is "No Limits"

Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:12 PM   #40
Order
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
You be the judge
Is this with or without the snorkel? Do you have the baseline dyno before exhaust?