ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 17th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Hexdex
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Exclamation Keep blowing headlight fuse!

Ok iv blown three headlight fuses in about a week, I installed a 6k plug and play HID kit, works great no problems, i checked the wires, nothing is crossed. I also installed my gps, what i did was installed a toggle switch upfront that controls the cigarette liter outlet thingy witch is connected to the battery. i installed the switch b/c the damn thing wouldnt ever turn off and last thing i need is a dead battery. Now i cant figure out how i keep blowing headlight fuses. is it the HID kit? is it the cigarette outlet? the very first blown fuse was after i installed the gps. quick run down on how i installed the toggle, black wire from cigarette outlet is connected to neg side of battery, one end of red wire is connected to one end of toggle and other end of the toggle is connected to pos side of battery, so just flip the switch and power gets to cigarette outlet, then to gps. I went and picked up 10 more fuses today just incase but id like to figure out whats going on. btw i couldnt find a thread like this, my bad if someone has already talked about it.
Hexdex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #2
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

If you start the bike with the highbeams on and HID in both lights sometimes the fuse will blow because of the initial current draw so don't start the bike with highbeams on if you are doing that. Give the low beam a couple secs to warm up first.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #3
Hexdex
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

I didnt even think about that... i can see that being the problem, im always leaving my high beams on
Hexdex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #4
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Yep I blew quite a few fuses cause of that. Mainly because when I first put the HIDs in it didn't blow fuses until a week later and then I blew two fuses in one day because I forgot my highbeams were on. Just be careful of that

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #5
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Put the HID on a its own relay controlled circuit with its own 30A fuse to the battery, and all your problems will be solved.
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #6
kenji_808
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CT Blue 250R(Sold), 2008 Black & Silver Honda CBR600RR(Current)

I had that same problem but on another thread someone suggested upping the fuse from the stock 10A to a 15A

I did that and it has never blown since....People have said that this could lead to frying the wiring since you could put more current through the small wiring.

I just try and not to leave on my Hi beams when I shutoff my bike or to check to make sure its off before turning the bike on, but there has been more than a few times I've forgotten about it it but so far that same 15A fuse is still holding after about 10 months/30 or 40 accidental startups with my HI beam on

Also make sure your using a 35W HID kit and not a 55W, the 35W is more than sufficient, plus the 35W generates a lot of heat, any more and you'd probably melt the headlight
kenji_808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #7
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji_808 View Post
I had that same problem but on another thread someone suggested upping the fuse from the stock 10A to a 15A

I did that and it has never blown since....People have said that this could lead to frying the wiring since you could put more current through the small wiring.

I just try and not to leave on my Hi beams when I shutoff my bike or to check to make sure its off before turning the bike on, but there has been more than a few times I've forgotten about it it but so far that same 15A fuse is still holding after about 10 months/30 or 40 accidental startups with my HI beam on

Also make sure your using a 35W HID kit and not a 55W, the 35W is more than sufficient, plus the 35W generates a lot of heat, any more and you'd probably melt the headlight
I wouldn't recommend doing this personally, sure it will work, but for how long? is the question.

A good option would be to replace the 10A fuse with a 10A Time-delay fuse. But unfortunately I can't seem to find these in the blade-type Minifuse like our bikes use. Time delay-fuses are fuses that will let a higher amount of current through during start-up, usually used for motors. EG. 30A can be permitted to pass through the 10A fuse for the first 15 seconds to let the ballast draw its initial high inrush current, after that certain delay, the max that can be pulled through is 10A.
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #8
ChaosFromAbove
Money is a drug.

Name: Chaos

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ZX-6r, 2010 250r (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonthechron View Post
I wouldn't recommend doing this personally, sure it will work, but for how long? is the question.

A good option would be to replace the 10A fuse with a 10A Time-delay fuse. But unfortunately I can't seem to find these in the blade-type Minifuse like our bikes use. Time delay-fuses are fuses that will let a higher amount of current through during start-up, usually used for motors. EG. 30A can be permitted to pass through the 10A fuse for the first 15 seconds to let the ballast draw its initial high inrush current, after that certain delay, the max that can be pulled through is 10A.
I don't think they make time delay fuses for the mini-blades...i've never heard of them at least.
ChaosFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #9
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

15A fuse would have similar characteristics as a time delay fuse as far as the gauge of the wires are concerned. They both would allow more than 10A to flow but the 15A would blow even faster than the slo-blow if there were a dead short to frame. That short length of 18 Ga wire should have no over-heat problem with even 20A of current for a brief time.
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote