ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 8th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #1
danjaho
two ninjas, no regrets.

Name: Dane

Motorcycle(s): RED 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R... Special Edition 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

2003 ZZR250 Tire upgrade?

Okay so this is a question for my friend since he no longer has internet and he wants to know really bad. He has a 2003 Kawasaki ZZR EX250.
anyways,

I recently Put a Michelin Pilot Power 150/60-zr17 rear tire on my 2009 ninja 250R and he loves how it looks and i personally think it rides better since ive done this.

since he is insane and still riding his bike with the tires it came with (from 2003) he and i both think it is wise to get new rubbers.

does anyone know if the same size tire will fit on his bike without modifications to the swing-arm etc? will it rub? has anyone done this?

if so pictures would be great, or recommended tire size's that work would be good too!!
danjaho is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

If I'm not mistaken the ZZR uses the same size rims that the new-gen does. In that case it should handle it fine. I personally would just stick with stock sizes but get a newer better tire. The larger size won't really do much for the bike really. Just get new tires in the stock sizes and keep having fun.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #3
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
If I'm not mistaken the ZZR uses the same size rims that the new-gen does. In that case it should handle it fine. I personally would just stick with stock sizes but get a newer better tire. The larger size won't really do much for the bike really. Just get new tires in the stock sizes and keep having fun.

Now wait just a minute, everyone knows that bigger is better.....

greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #4
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Now wait just a minute, everyone knows that bigger is better.....

No no no, that's the American way....... he's Canadian though and doesn't follow that line of thinking. So it's ok for him to not get tires that too big.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #5
dale-j
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans, 2001 ZZR250

tires on the ZZR

Heh... the funny thing is that Canada for once got the "American" bike, bigger, better, faster, more....

Tire sizes are 17" on our ZZR's but differ as they are smaller in the front than the new 250R and bigger in the back.

Correct sizes are 100/80-17 front and 140/70-17 rear. A great tire and well suited to this bike is the Avon AM26 Roadrider.... Yes, you *can* try to wedge a 100/70-17 on the front and a 150 on the back and you can get 'supersport' rubber (BT003's and Powers) but this is a light bike that will not get the kind of heat into the larger tires and stiffer carcasses to make them handle any better than the roadriders, and bigger tires are slower to turn in.... I've had roadriders on a few bikes and yes at sustained racetrack pace they will start to overheat and get greasy eventually... for 95% of riders the flip side is that they heat up quickly, grip better at sane street pace, and last a lot better. Oh, and they're cheaper...
dale-j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #6
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
if the correct sizes are 100/80-17 and 140/70-17, then why not get some sport demons or BT-45's? both work great with a bike of this size/weight and will handle MUCH better than the stock tires
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #7
dale-j
ninjette.org member

I've never run Sport Demons, but I have spent a good deal of seat time on bikes with both the H and V rated BT45's... CBR250RR (MC19), BROS 400, and an FJ1200. I did not like the BT45's on any of the bikes, big or little. IMO they were not a confidence inspiring tire, and every bike I rode with them on they would cup badly in the front and flatten in the rear prematurely regardless of air pressure. Yes the newer dual compound ones were a BIT better but not much. To be fair, I have not ridden a set in 3+ years.

I have run other bias tires and tons of radials, from sport (Powers, 2ct's, BT014 and BT016's) to touring (Michelin Macadams and Pilot Roads, BT020's) and everything in between, and have never found a tire that wore as unevenly as the BT45's... actually the front BT020 was close, but this is a really similar design. Your mileage may vary, but there is nothing I hate more than throwing out 3/4 of the tread depth on a tire because the profile went weird...

What's your take on the Sport Demons? I have heard other good things about them but had the MT75's on my wife's previous CBR125 (that she never rode) and couldn't seem to keep enough heat in them with the pathetic power output of that bike, for them to stay sticky. Crashed them too but that was antifreeze so not their fault. If you've had some experience with them I'm keen to hear, especially if you've ridden on the Avons as IMO the Avons have more stick by far than they are advertised to have and behaved beautifully (turn in, stability, etc). Granted they were on my RD400 and that bike had limited lean angle, but they also rode very very nicely on a Honda CB-1 at a lot more lean.

Old October 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #8
dale-j
ninjette.org member

Ahhh, never mind on the Sport Demons... I did find some great writeups on them but they don't make them to fit the front on the ZZR - 100/80-17. While it might be possible to squeeze on the 100/70 I'm looking to keep stock sizes and the geometry unaltered. As for the OP if he's willing to go oversize on the rim the Sport Demons should be a great choice.

Old October 5th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale-j View Post
every bike I rode with them on they would cup badly in the front and flatten in the rear prematurely regardless of air pressure.
My back tire is nice and evenly worn and will need to be replaced next season, but my front is cupping after 5000 miles. I assumed it was because the weight came off during this season. I was going to re-balance it and see if that helped.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #10
dale-j
ninjette.org member

Update on this I went with the Avon AM26 Roadriders in stock size in the front (100/80-17) and one size down (same as the new 250r) at 130/70-17 in the back to lower it a bit (wife's bike, she's 5'2"). They turn in very neutrally, track well and stick well but if you are my weight (175#) the centerstand will ground hard at about 3/4 lean with the smaller tire in the back. Not a problem for her as she is a lot lighter than me and not nearly as aggressive, but I would recommend these tires.... just with the original 140/70 in the back for a ZZR250.

Old April 12th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #11
Csmith9
ninjette.org member

Name: Codi

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

I just ordered my self the Avon Road riders for my self, have yet to put them on though (still rocking the stock tires from 03 as well).
But a friend of mine has an 06 ZZR with those tires and they ride pretty nicely.
If you order them from "Canada's motorcycle" they are pretty cheap for both tires, with free shipping over 99 dollars
Csmith9 is offline   Reply With Quote