View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #1
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

DIY - Emission block off plate

Hey Everyone, here with one of the easiest and most surprising installs I have ever done on my ninja, almost easier than installing spools

**Read the end if you want the reasons why I suggest doing this**

So, awhile back I was asking some questions about the kleen air system, and the emissions block off.

In the DIY by our long lost beloved kkim here he simply uses his own homemade plug. Lots of others have followed suit: most notable being @VeX who i'm sure did the same thing, or maybe kkim copied him

Anyways, long story short, I did the same thing with a vacuum cap, and then later on a improvised plug. During my questions, @indrish had advised me of something called an emission block off plate that can be installed instead of the plug. We both live in B.C. so we decided to each get one (he will be doing an airbox and kleen air removal eventually), and split the shipping. This is the one we picked up.

If you clicked that link, you would see the plate looks very orange in colour. In reality, it is gold

This is what it looks like:

Onto the install.

Looking at your bike under the gas tank on your engine, if you have already removed the kleen air system (if you haven't see the DIY and do so), you will see something like this:

For perspective:

If you look closely you will see I have already loosened the bolts. Go ahead and remove them. Place them somewhere handy.

Now, look at the piece you have removed:

Lots of extra space inside. <-- IMPORTANT LATER ON

Anyways, put your emission block of plate on and screw it in using the bolts that held the piece you just removed down.

You should now have something like this:

For perspective (sorry for my terrible focus job):

Looking SMEXY!

Now onto the important part of why I created this DIY

At first I had assumed that this emission block off plate would simply remove a failure point that I did not want to have on the bike (oh, and add a little bling), what I didn't realize was this:

I had been experimenting trying to get my jetting right. Found the right main's, replaced my pilots, I believe I have the optimum needle settings, but I was still having bog in the lower range of 1.5-3ish k RPM. I was adjusting idle mixture screws but I could never get it just right. I believe I am at around 2.5 turns or something around there. Maybe less. Anyways, when I revved the RPM's would drop below my idle setting then return. However, this would only happen on rev's up to around 5k rpm. Anything above that and it returned like it would supposed to. Which I thought was very strange because I thought it was supposed to happen no matter what?!

When I got home after picking up the emission plate and meeting up with @indrish, I was like: Hell, I'll work on this jetting nonsense later and do this super easy install!

I tested the bike again after letting it cool down, and I still had the problem. I replaced the vacuum capped emission with the block off plate and wait for it..... ALL MY STRANGE PROBLEMS WENT AWAY! It fixed all of the lower end bogging issues, gave me a much cleaner and better take off, and possibly even a little more umph in the low range :roll eyes:

I am assuming this was caused by the space previously created by the vacuum cap. I removed the emission block off and replaced it with the old one, and plugged it instead of capping. It fixed the problems a bit, but without that tight seal that the emission cap added, it was still a no go. Went back the the emission block off, and it works perfect!

I actually tested it, and my midrange seems to be slightly improved (along with all the other fixes), and a noise that I use to hear while running (a strange crackling when the engine was working hard), is gone (it comes back when I replace the block off with the original capped piece).

Now I could have spent a much longer time working on the idle mixture screws and even playing with the needles a little bit more, but this one easy mod (max 20 bucks), fixed all of my problems, eliminated a failure point, added some bling, and seriously made my life easier.

If anyone is considering removing their kleen air system, personally I would recommend this so you don't have the problems I had. I would recommend it anyways just to eliminate the possibility of anything bad happening :P

PS: Thanks @indrish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0567.jpg (34.2 KB, 1065 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0568.jpg (35.2 KB, 995 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0569.jpg (46.9 KB, 998 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0570.jpg (60.4 KB, 998 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0571.jpg (58.8 KB, 999 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0573.jpg (34.3 KB, 997 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0572.jpg (78.8 KB, 996 views)

Last futzed with by MikeBudd; March 5th, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote