ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old April 11th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Adrrrrianna
ninjette.org member

Name: Adrianna

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Lower a 250?

I'm 5'2 and I need to lower my 250r just a few inches. Are lowering links enough or do I have to purchase an entire lowering kit? Any advice would be appreciated
Adrrrrianna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2
JosueDG
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Kawi Ninja 300

Hello and Welcome!

We seem to be the same height. My approach was to purchase the Roaring Toyz lowering kit minus the kick stand. I was able to drop it two inches in back and about 1.5 in front. To bring me a tad bit lower to the ground, I shaved down the stock seat which approximately gave me an additional 0.5 inches.

As everyone else would tell you, two inches is about the most you want to drop it. And if you drop the rear, you want to drop the front too. You might also want to adjust your spring load on the rear to keep the rear tire from rubbing.
JosueDG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Boots with thick soles can give you a bit of height as well. Just might save you from shaving the seat.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Good info here in our wiki:

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Lowering

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #5
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Height makes no difference once you're moving, learn how to bring it to a stop & take off again properly & it should save you having to lower the bike.

Pick a clean bit of road to put your foot down on, brake with the front & rear until you're going a couple of mph then use the rear brake to come to a stop

As you stop flick the bars right & put your left foot down, flicking the bars right will cause the bike to fall left.

*point the bars straight again prior to takeoff* On takeoff the bike will right itself.

I'm 5'7 and have no problems with my mate's F650GS, it's seat is 4" higher than my inseam.

Last futzed with by Whiskey; April 15th, 2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: *idiot proofing*
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Shorts?!

And welcome!
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #7
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i think the bike shouldn't be lowered more than an inch.
then get better boots and shave the seat if need be.

as you get used to the balance of the bike, whiskey's technique will help you handle taller bikes.

Old April 13th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #8
TedBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): (08 Ninja 250) (07 Suzuki Hayabusa) (08 Suzuki GSXR 1000) (Yamaha dirtbikes)

I put on the roaring toyz lowering kit for my wifes bike. It made a world of difference for her and boosted her confidence. I rode that bike hard and did not notice any ill effects of it being lowered. I was lowered fully in the front and the rear was in the middle setting I think. Its a nice kit and easy to install. I did not shorten the kick stand, and it was not a problem as long as the rider was carefull about parking it on uneaven ground. Getting a shorter stand cant hurt, but you can easily get away with the stock stand after lowering fully.

Actually I am about to post the kit for sale in the classifieds. Hope its ok to post that.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Adrrrrianna
ninjette.org member

I've been told that you don't need a lowering kit if you're comfortable riding, but the only thing is I'm still in the learning process, so I don't want to lay the bike down and cause damage because I can't flat foot. It has been suggested that I put the lowering kit on while I learn and then remove it after so I don't miss out on handling or being able to ride a bigger bike later. Is it worth spending the $200+ on a kit just to learn?

Old April 13th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #10
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

you have a higher chance of laying it down during a corner from your pegs scraping and getting scared so easily as the bike has been lowered. Ive seen it happen. Ive also seen the same person drop it coming to a stop on a hill / slanted street which cause absolutely no damage once so ever.

do not lower it in my opinion
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #11
TedBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): (08 Ninja 250) (07 Suzuki Hayabusa) (08 Suzuki GSXR 1000) (Yamaha dirtbikes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
you have a higher chance of laying it down during a corner from your pegs scraping and getting scared so easily as the bike has been lowered. Ive seen it happen. Ive also seen the same person drop it coming to a stop on a hill / slanted street which cause absolutely no damage once so ever.

do not lower it in my opinion
If a guy is scrapping pegs enough to lowside their riding posture is poor. Hang off the bike more, lean the bike less, learn to ride within your limits.

Lowering doesnt have the negative effects some people will warn you about in real world street riding. Truth is there are alot of lowered ninja's riding around out there and they are just fine. I am a very expeirenced rider with many tens of thousands of miles under my ass, and many, many bikes bought, ridden, and sold. The Ninja 250R was my wifes and was lowered for her. I still rode the bike, and rode it hard at times. I felt NO ill effects that effected my ability to ride that bike. Neither did my wife. She immedietley had more controll over the bike and gained confidence with it lowered.

Everyone has their opinions, but unless you have ridden a 250R with a lowering kit installed your opinions dont mean alot.

If you are considering getting lowering kit becuase you want more confidence and controll or you are short and have no other option then go for it.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #12
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Whiskey had it right. I grew up on dirtbikes and was never able to flat foot anything. It was tippy toe on one side. Seat height isn't that big of an issue IMO. All it matters is in stopping and starting.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBull View Post
If a guy is scrapping pegs enough to lowside
she didnt lowside, she straightened the bike and went into the woods
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2013, 02:18 PM   #14
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterliter View Post
Whiskey had it right. I grew up on dirtbikes and was never able to flat foot anything. It was tippy toe on one side. Seat height isn't that big of an issue IMO. All it matters is in stopping and starting.

If I could flat foot my dirtbike, it was time to upgrade :P
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBull View Post
Everyone has their opinions, but unless you have ridden a 250R with a lowering kit installed your opinions dont mean alot.
There have been a number of riders on this site who have levered the rear tire off the ground when the kickstand mount drags on the left side, on non-lowered bikes. On a lowered bike, the threshold is even easier to hit.

Not to mention the threads that pop up from time to time "what do I do about this hole in my rear fender since the tire hit it when the bike was lowered?"

Everything in moderation, right? An inch or two at most, on a bike that is ridden gently by a new rider, and there might be limited ill effects.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #16
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Link to original page on YouTube.

sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #17
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
I'm 5'1" (on a good hair day, haha). I have the roaring toyz lowering links on the back and the blocks on the front.
I started with the links at the lowest setting until i was confident and comfortable enough to try it higher.
I did have rear tire rubbing on the lowest and 2nd to lowest setting.
I now have it on the mid hole on the links and don't have any rubbing issue.
Make sure you put the front blocks on to keep the bike level thought! I didn't at 1st and had handling issues.
Hope this helps!! Good luck and be safe!
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #18
lgk

Get someone to hold the bike while you try to flat foot it using your left foot.
Step on the rear brake to hold the bike still.

Shave the seat and get thicker boots. That'll get you close to 2 inches.
Only lower it as a last resort, if you cant apply the rear brake.

Old April 15th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #19
JanqeD
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r SE

My wife is only 5'0 95lbs and we lowered hers today 1.5" and it wasn't too difficult. Never worked on a bike so it took longer than expected but I am 6'0 and I weight bout 175 and I sat on it bounced up and down on it and the tire had plenty of back clearance. Didnt come close to touching the tire. Can't imagine if I weigh that much more than her she shouldnt be able to make it touch either. :P She can nearly flat foot and is very happy with it. I say go for it if your up to the task. Take any precautions to insure it won't touch :P
JanqeD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #20
PrincessJae
ninjette.org member

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I'm 5'4" and even I was contemplating lowering the bike, I can only imagine losing two more inches! I decided not to, but I have to be honest, there are times where my footing as slipped because I'm on my tippy toes. It makes sticky situations that much more difficult. The first time I was on a steep slope o got really scared but I was fine.

Half of it is mental I think, it can certainly be done without lowering but you have to conquer that in your mind. And run through what you would do if the bike started to tip. I've pulled out my back catching it once in my driveway, but it didn't drop. I think another problem for me is that I'm not very strong, so while guys think holding the bike up on one foot is fine, it's a lot harder for me to recover because I don't have too much strength to stop the bike from falling.

Anyway, I think if the height difference is holding you back from being comfortable and really learning how to ride, and making it scary, then yes you should lower it.
PrincessJae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #21
lgk

if both strength and height is an issue, might be a good idea to start off on another bike.

Old April 18th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #22
Adrrrrianna
ninjette.org member

So....
I tried my bike for the first time (waiting for the snow to melt) and it turns out that I feel perfectly comfortable while riding and when stopped I'm steady enough holding it and can easily flat foot while holding the back brake. If it doesn't make me nervous, do I really need to lower it?

Old April 18th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #23
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

No.
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #24
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I have a buddy who's about 5'5". He rides an F4i. He can barely touch both of his feet at once, much less flat-foot it. He's also of the opinion of, "hell no I'm not lowering it, I like turning!"

To each their own. I think if you lower the bike, consider raising it back up to stock after some time. That way, you'll get good opportunity to get riding experience without fearing stops, but in the end, you'll still appreciate why a sport bike is as high as it is.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #25
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrrrrianna View Post
So....
I tried my bike for the first time (waiting for the snow to melt) and it turns out that I feel perfectly comfortable while riding and when stopped I'm steady enough holding it and can easily flat foot while holding the back brake. If it doesn't make me nervous, do I really need to lower it?
I tippy toe my r6.

Once you get used to standing it up on your left leg, your good.

6months later i wouldn't even think of lowering my bike, so i'd say your fine. Put some sliders on maybe? they'd definitely protect your bike in a tip over situation.

Old April 18th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #26
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrrrrianna View Post
So....
thats awesome!

it'll become natural as you ride more often.
also i find stopping like that gives you an advantage in hilly areas.

Old April 20th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #27
JanqeD
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r SE

If your comfortable then I'd say no as well. I wish my wife didnt want to lower hers but she wouldn't even try to walk the bike because she couldn't flat foot it.
JanqeD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #28
NewbieNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Yue Pheng

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r, 2009 Suzuki GSX-R750

My wifes ninja is currently lowered about 2iches front and back. Shes 5'0" 110lbs with a 26inseam. At first I disagreed with lowering it but then I started to realize that from a performance stand point it doesn't matter because all she is doing is just learning. Do what you have to do to establish that foundation then slowly go from there.

When I ride her bike it scrapes the cat on bumps if you go just a little bit too fast. If you go too fast on corners and have to lean then it'll scrape the pegs. But as a beginner these won't be of any concerns to you.

Right now, I got her the heartbreaker boots to help increase her height 2 more inches so I can hopefully raise it back up. She wants to ride my GSX-R750 one day.. hahaha. She still tippy toes after we lowered it so she still struggles but with positive support and encourage she'll get comfortable with using one foot.
NewbieNinja is offline   Reply With Quote