ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Closed Thread

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #201
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
as far as i can tell here's how things stand:

everyone: believes skill and caution are the most important factors in determining if you get in an accident. it also seems everyone agrees regardless of skill or caution, there is a chance, however slight, that an accident can occur due to reasons beyond a rider's control, whatever the chances, however slim, there is a chance. however remote, whether its 1 in a billion or less doesn't change the fact that there is some chance of it happening.

am i with everyone so far?

me: believe its possible for me to get in an accident, so i prepare for such an occasion by wearing gear, "just in case"

"A" & N Ja: believe they are skilled enough to avoid accidents well enough to justify not wearing gear when they don't feel like it, even though they do believe that accidents can happen at any time (even if the chances are 1 in a billion), they believe they won't because of their skill, or their caution, or something that they're doing.

also apparently it's an important factor that some people can't afford gear... although i'm not sure how that factors into people who can afford gear but choose not to.

noone: believes gear prevents accidents.

"A": but apparently believes that gear will make a rider more likely to take risks, which will up their chances of getting in an accident

did i miss anything? am i wrong about anything here?

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #202
Sushilover
Forever Newbie

Name: Andre

Motorcycle(s): 10' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Maybe proper English is too difficult for you to understand.
Just read my post as they are typed, do not try to 'put words in my mouth'.

Choosing to ride with or without gear while riding is a personal provocative.

If you choose to ride ATGATT, that's your choice, your provocative
pre·rog·a·tive/priˈrägətiv/Noun
1. A right or privilege exclusive to a particular individual or class.

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #203
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250Solace View Post
and here i thought he meant
Quote:
2. Arousing sexual desire or interest, esp. deliberately.

Old July 30th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #204
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250Solace View Post
So I do or dont understand proper english??

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #205
Sushilover
Forever Newbie

Name: Andre

Motorcycle(s): 10' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
So I do or dont understand proper english??
You understood what he typed correctly

It was the word that he used that was incorrect.

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #206
jonnyc
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
did i miss anything? am i wrong about anything here?
I think you covered it all, that's the way I see it also. We'll wait from a response from A or N Ja.

Old July 31st, 2011, 04:38 AM   #207
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducducgooseit View Post

Watch this.
Gay and boring.

Old July 31st, 2011, 05:08 AM   #208
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

So you know you're going to defecate sooner or later, why not wear a diaper all the time?

I'm heading out for a ride, without gear and I will enjoy it just as much with with gear, maybe be more so.

Old July 31st, 2011, 05:19 AM   #209
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
So you know you're going to defecate sooner or later, why not wear a diaper all the time?

I'm heading out for a ride, without gear and I will enjoy it just as much with with gear, maybe be more so.
if i randomly crapped myself without warning, i would. thats why they make depends

also, crapping yourself typically doesn't put you in the hospital. as you said before, not a very good analogy.

Old July 31st, 2011, 05:52 AM   #210
jonnyc
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Oh I get it, and here I thought we were talking about motorcycle "accidents" when we were really talking about Scooter "accidents". My advice to you is that you wear your gear (dippers) all the time, gear will make it less messy in the event of an accident.

Sounds like you don't know your body very well and allowed yourself to get to the point of no return before reaching a bathroom. (sounds familiar? Look @ Pg3)

I still have not heard a valid point from you, and probably never will...

Oh yeah have fun taking a "ride" in your house.

Old July 31st, 2011, 06:26 AM   #211
"A"
vampire

Quote:
if i randomly crapped myself without warning, i would. thats why they make depends
You're the one getting into 'unavoidable accidents'.
With all the accidents that you think you're going to have, I'm not surprised that you're not wearing a diaper just to prevent your 'unavoidable accidents'.

Quote:
also, crapping yourself typically doesn't put you in the hospital. as you said before, not a very good analogy.
Not all motorcycle related injuries do not make people go to the hospital neither, poor analogy right back at ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
Oh I get it, and here I thought we were talking about motorcycle "accidents" when we were really talking about Scooter "accidents". My advice to you is that you wear your gear (dippers) all the time, gear will make it less messy in the event of an accident.

Sounds like you don't know your body very well and allowed yourself to get to the point of no return before reaching a bathroom. (sounds familiar? Look @ Pg3)

I still have not heard a valid point from you, and probably never will...

Oh yeah have fun taking a "ride" in your house.
You want to wear gear when you ride, wear a diaper.. for me, gears are optional for riding. you take it whatever way you want.. just don't forget to wear you diaper, baby.

BTW, that picture you posted is not even a 2-wheel vehicle.

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:28 AM   #212
jonnyc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You're the one getting into 'unavoidable accidents'.
With all the accidents that you think you're going to have, I'm not surprised that you're not wearing a diaper just to prevent your 'unavoidable accidents'.

Not all motorcycle related injuries do not make people go to the hospital neither, poor analogy right back at ya.

You want to wear gear when you ride, wear a diaper.. for me, gears are optional for riding. you take it whatever way you want.. just don't forget to wear you diaper, baby.

BTW, that picture you posted is not even a 2-wheel vehicle.

hahaha, wow you are getting really sloppy with your responses now, not even making sense anymore (never really did make sense but now its just ridiculous)

Let me make it easy for you, this is your last chance to actually explain your side. I will try to make it as simple as possible, pay attention now.

You know you cannot avoid ALL accidents right? (y/n)
Sometimes you choose to not wear gear right? (y/n)
You choose to not wear gear because of your skills, and you never plan to get into and accident right? (y/n)

i will continue once you actually answer the questions(simple yes and no please), if you ever do...

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:52 AM   #213
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I feel like you're all on a carousel of stupidity at this point. Over Half this thread is off topic. Some will think that this is about Alex.S's accident when he's not even the OP.

ALL OF YOU, JUST LET IT GO.

Old July 31st, 2011, 08:11 AM   #214
jonnyc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhyen View Post
I feel like you're all on a carousel of stupidity at this point. Over Half this thread is off topic. Some will think that this is about Alex.S's accident when he's not even the OP.

you are right, but we are almost done here. I just want to see if A is actually going to answer the questions or if hes just going to go off track again.

Old July 31st, 2011, 08:15 AM   #215
"A"
vampire

Quote:
hahaha, wow you are getting really sloppy with your responses now, not even making sense anymore (never really did make sense but now its just ridiculous)

Let me make it easy for you, this is your last chance to actually explain your side. I will try to make it as simple as possible, pay attention now.
I am paying attention.. now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc;337593You know you cannot avoid [B
ALL [/B]accidents right? (y/n)
I do know I can not avoid all accidents, I never said I could. What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc;337593Sometimes you choose to [B
not [/B]wear gear right? (y/n)
Yes, I think it is pretty obvious that I do not ride with gear all the time, I think I've repeated myself many times, are you paying attention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc;337593You choose to not wear gear because of your [B
skills[/B], and you never plan to get into and accident right? (y/n)
I choose not to wear gear sometimes because I rely on paying attention to what I am doing and being aware of my surrounding to know how to maneuver my way out of accidents that are avoidable.
So far, over 12 years of riding, I've never had an accident riding without gear.

No amount of gear you wear is going to help you avoid accidents if you do not have riding skill or don't pay attention to your surroundings.

No, I don't think anyone ever plan to get into an accident, if you plan to get into accidents, they are not accidents, they are intentional incidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyc;337593i will continue once you actually answer the questions(simple yes and no please), if you [B
ever [/B]do...
Go ahead and answer my previous questions, please.

Quote:

As long as discussion is related to accidents and gear, I see the to be on-topic. If you feel that this is off-topic, have nothing to contribute, then do not participate.

Don't just order people to stop it when you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, like you are above it all.

Old July 31st, 2011, 11:12 AM   #216
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:

Watch this.
What does OP mean?

Old July 31st, 2011, 11:30 AM   #217
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Original post (or original poster).

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson

Old July 31st, 2011, 12:15 PM   #218
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Original post (or original poster).
I knew it had something to do with posting lol

Old July 31st, 2011, 12:19 PM   #219
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

Quote:

Old July 31st, 2011, 01:23 PM   #220
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Quote:

Watch this.
What does OP mean?
It obvious. The only reason this girl did not crash was because she was wearing shorts and flip flops.

Take the guy in the video below, his problem was he was wearing a helmet.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 31st, 2011, 02:20 PM   #221
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
It obvious. The only reason this girl did not crash was because she was wearing shorts and flip flops.

Take the guy in the video below, his problem was he was wearing a helmet.

Link to original page on YouTube.

You went down like a dumb f*ck because you're a dumb f**k. Simple logic. He admitted it lol

Old July 31st, 2011, 02:49 PM   #222
jonnyc
ninjette.org member

Great, you are still getting off track but we are making progress. Simple yes and no would have sufficed, could have done with out the extra fluff.

I guess you just have not read our post or choose to ignore parts of them, for some reason you continue to argue the following
Quote:
No amount of gear you wear is going to help you avoid accidents if you do not have riding skill or don't pay attention to your surroundings.
let me make this clear WE AGREE WITH YOU. No one ever disagreed with you.

Moving on, now I am just going to quote some things you have said so you don't forget.

Quote:
Sure there will always something waiting for you maybe, but I know enough not to get myself into accidents.
Look at question 1

Quote:
I don't plan to go down ever during my rides, by being cautious and not taking risks beyond my preparedness.
Look at question 1

Quote:
ATGATT may not be as effective if you're not paying attention to your surroundings.
What? How is protective gear not effective? 2 different things bud, one prevents accidents (skill) the other protects your body IF an accident occurs.

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by alex.s
does anyone plan on going down?
Most likely, more than you think.. I spend more time planning for ways out of possible accidents
Really? People plan to go down? I think people prepare to go down, as in wear protection incase they go down.

Quote:
Choose not to fall, how about choose not to get into accidents
Again look at question 1. This comment just blows my mind.

Thanks for answering the questions. To see my point all you have to do is ask the questions in reverse order and see if that makes sense to you.

Now please tell me if this makes sense.

I know not all accidents are avoidable. I choose to not wear gear sometimes because I Choose not to fall, choose not to get into accidents, I know enough not to get myself into accidents, I don't plan to go down ever during my rides.

That was you all along until your last post. You are finally coming around, slowly but still.

Quote:
I choose not to wear gear sometimes because I rely on paying attention to what I am doing and being aware of my surrounding to know how to maneuver my way out of accidents that are avoidable.
I want to believe that all along what you really have been meaning to say is that you know riding with out gear is risky and unsafe and you meditate that risk by riding safely, however you understand that there is a chance that you can go down. You accept this risk and understand that no matter how safe you are while riding, it is always better (for body protection)to ride with gear.

You will probably continue to say you don't get in to accidents because you don't plan on them and of your superior riding skill.

Last futzed with by jonnyc; July 31st, 2011 at 04:29 PM.

Old July 31st, 2011, 05:37 PM   #223
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Great, you are still getting off track but we are making progress. Simple yes and no would have sufficed, could have done with out the extra fluff.
Your questions are stupid and I'm beginning to think you are stupid, too; since you still fail to answer my questions from previous post like you said you would.

Quote:
I guess you just have not read our post or choose to ignore parts of them, for some reason you continue to argue the following let me make this clear WE AGREE WITH YOU. No one ever disagreed with you.
You agree with me because there is nothing wrong with what I said in my posts in regard to the topic.

Quote:
Moving on, now I am just going to quote some things you have said so you don't forget.

Look at question 1

Look at question 1
What is question 1?

Quote:
What? How is protective gear not effective?
Wearing protective gear does not prevent accident from happening.
Wearing protective gear only reduce the injuries that you might receive if you get into an accident.

Quote:
2 different things bud, one prevents accidents (skill) the other protects your body IF an accident occurs.
So what, I've said that all along.

Quote:
Really? People plan to go down? I think people prepare to go down, as in wear protection incase they go down.
By definition, 'accidents' are not planned, only planned incidents are planned and prepared ahead of time.
If anyone plans or prepares to go down, that is not an accident, that is a planned incident.

Quote:
Again look at question 1. This comment just blows my mind.[qoute]

Whatever blows your mind, if you do not understand something or think it is impossible to accomplish; don't presume that it is not possible for anyone else.

Thanks for answering the questions. To see my point all you have to do is ask the questions in reverse order and see if that makes sense to you.
Your turn to answer some questions, like you said you would.

Quote:
Now please tell me if this makes sense.

I know not all accidents are avoidable. I choose to not wear gear sometimes because I Choose not to fall, choose not to get into accidents, I know enough not to get myself into accidents, I don't plan to go down ever during my rides.
That was you all along until your last post. You are finally coming around, slowly but still.
No, what you wrote are not what I said in my previous post.
They are not along my post, you should just take my words as they are, stop trying to read more into them and reconstruct them with your words since English is your second language.

Quote:
I want to believe that all along what you really have been meaning to say is that you know riding with out gear is risky and unsafe and you meditate that risk by riding safely, however you understand that there is a chance that you can go down. You accept this risk and understand that no matter how safe you are while riding, it is always better (for body protection)to ride with gear.
Believe what you want, no one is asking you.
Riding without gear is only risky if you take unnecessary risks, do not pay attention to what you're doing and your surroundings.
I don't agree that it is always better to ride with gear, that's a different topic.

Quote:
You will probably continue to say you don't get in to accidents because you don't plan on them and of your superior riding skill.
Yes, if you have ridden for over 12 years gone through a few accidents without a scratch, maybe you can believe in yourself, too.

Until you have ridden a motorcycle for over twelve years and survive a few accidents without a scratch; if there is something you can not comprehend do not assume that is not possible.
If you can manage to survive that long. Meanwhile, keep ATGATT if you believe that is more effective, time will tell.

Old July 31st, 2011, 06:30 PM   #224
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by UjaasG35 View Post
how long do you think will it take for the road rash to heal?

I may be a little late getting here, but this is the first I've seen this thread. Sorry you got messed up like that.

Try Neopsorin with pain relief - it works really good on wounds like what you have. You may need several tubes. After a few days to a week, you an switch to a cortisone itch cream. The cortisone will accelerate the healing. Without it, it will take months for wounds like that to heal.

Hope you get well soon.

Old July 31st, 2011, 06:50 PM   #225
jonnyc
ninjette.org member

Quote:
What is question 1?
I thought you would have the brains to figure this one out, obviously i was wrong.

Quote:
So what, I've said that all along.
No you have not, I quote:
Quote:
being aware of your surroundings would definitely improve the chance of not getting into accidents, but ATGATT may not be as effective if you're not paying attention to your surroundings.
what you have been saying is that ATGATT is not effective at improving your chances of not getting into a accident, of course it doesn't, it protects not prevent. Please tell me that's not what you said...

Quote:
By definition, 'accidents' are not planned, only planned incidents are planned and prepared ahead of time.
If anyone plans or prepares to go down, that is not an accident, that is a planned incident.
congrats you can define a word, however you lack common sense. What you are trying to say is that if before I drive my car I put my seat belt on I am planning to have an accident? and so if anything happens it was a planned incident? lol there is definitely something loose in your head.

Quote:
No, what you wrote are not what I said in my previous post. They are not along my post, you should just take my words as they are, stop trying to read more into them and reconstruct them with your words since English is your second language.
that is exactly what you said, I copied and pasted word for word and added a few comas. all you have to do is go back and read your post. I made it easy and quoted all that on my last post, go take a look then please tell me that's not what you said..,

Quote:
Riding without gear is only risky if you take unnecessary risks
you said yourself you cant prevent all accidents, so you would agree anytime you ride you're at risk. therefor one should always wear gear to decrease injuries.

I can see that all common sense escapes you. Clearly you don't understand yourself and I am tired of making it simple for you to grasp it. You keep denying what you said even though its in black and white. You keep fighting ghost and fail to elaborate.

Like I said before, I don't really care to change your mind. If you ever decide to actually debate the topic, I might post a reply. until then I am done. I think I have said enough and its clear to everyone else that you are delusional. It doesn't take 12 years to figure out that you are wrong. Good luck out there.

btw your little jabs about language don't bother me a bit, its clear that I can still understand better than you.

Last futzed with by jonnyc; July 31st, 2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spell check

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:13 PM   #226
Dr. Ew
Yoshi

Name: Dr. Ew

Motorcycle(s): 11 Ninja 250

Thanks to the OP, showed your pictures too a few riders and it made them change their mind. converted some of them from NGATT to MGATT atleast.

Lots of great points in this post... only with certain people. Reading all these post can see how common, common sense is. i like how defensive some people are in this thread and cont to try and prove they are right beyond without a doubt. could be a bad analogy but it reminded me of my co worker trying to persuade/convince me that i'm black instead of being asian. if not then i'm clearly aware that i have a bad way of describing what i really mean.

somebody pass the popcorn and depends please

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:29 PM   #227
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Heres the funny thing.
HE WILL BE RIGHT NO MATTER WHAT.
He will NEVER admit to an accident, WHEN he has one.
I will sleep well tonight knowing when he crashes without gear, he will spend hours thinking of this thread.

Dont wear your gear. ITS ALL GOOD, ITS YOUR SKIN. "A"

BELOW IS FOR ANYONE WHO THINKS THEY HAVE THE "SKILL" TO AVOID AN ACCIDENT

I have spent countless miles on the track, countless miles on the street. I know how to ride. BETTER than most. Im careful, overly careful at times.
1 week ago I laid down my bike 150 yards from my home. It happens, it is the nature of riding a 2 wheeled vehicle. YOU WILL CRASH. You may have control of your bike. THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN AVOID EVERY ACCIDENT. If you believe you can, YOU ARE A FOOL.

Do you mind telling me how this one was "avoidable"??

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80364

Guess you would have stood the bike straight up and rode into the gravel and off the cliff??
Better yet, you would have leaned more left and blazed into the oncoming lanes on a blind corner.
YEAH RIGHT.

ALL THE SKILL IN THE WORLD WOULD NOT HELP AVOID THIS ACCIDENT.

Guess you have a flying 250 and you would have hit the hover button located next to the kill switch and just hopped over the other bike.

Go out to your 250 raise the kickstand and get off the bike and walk away. If your 250 will stay upright all by itself, (no stands, no string, no wire etc) take a vid and post it here.
Ill buy your bike as its the only bike in the world that defys gravity and can fly its way out of an accident.

I will then agree that you will NEVER go down, and you are the greatest EVER.

Otherwise good luck with you road rash. Hope it doesnt get infected.

Old July 31st, 2011, 07:42 PM   #228
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Heres the funny thing.
HE WILL BE RIGHT NO MATTER WHAT.
He will NEVER admit to an accident, WHEN he has one.
I will sleep well tonight knowing when he crashes without gear, he will spend hours thinking of this thread.

Dont wear your gear. ITS ALL GOOD, ITS YOUR SKIN. "A"

BELOW IS FOR ANYONE WHO THINKS THEY HAVE THE "SKILL" TO AVOID AN ACCIDENT

I have spent countless miles on the track, countless miles on the street. I know how to ride. BETTER than most. Im careful, overly careful at times.
1 week ago I laid down my bike 150 yards from my home. It happens, it is the nature of riding a 2 wheeled vehicle. YOU WILL CRASH. You may have control of your bike. THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN AVOID EVERY ACCIDENT. If you believe you can, YOU ARE A FOOL.

Do you mind telling me how this one was "avoidable"??

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80364

Guess you would have stood the bike straight up and rode into the gravel and off the cliff??
Better yet, you would have leaned more left and blazed into the oncoming lanes on a blind corner.
YEAH RIGHT.

ALL THE SKILL IN THE WORLD WOULD NOT HELP AVOID THIS ACCIDENT.

Guess you have a flying 250 and you would have hit the hover button located next to the kill switch and just hopped over the other bike.

Go out to your 250 raise the kickstand and get off the bike and walk away. If your 250 will stay upright all by itself, (no stands, no string, no wire etc) take a vid and post it here.
Ill buy your bike as its the only bike in the world that defys gravity and can fly its way out of an accident.

I will then agree that you will NEVER go down, and you are the greatest EVER.

Otherwise good luck with you road rash. Hope it doesnt get infected.

he will most likely say "if i wasn't riding with gear i wouldn't be going so fast that i wasn't able to swerve to avoid it" or some stupid crock of **** that completely avoids the point you're trying to make.

i'm done with this troll. i suggest everyone else should be too. it's pointless trying to suggest logic to someone who is illogical.

"A", NJ A, you want to ride without gear because you think you have the skill to avoid other people's mistakes every time? be my guest. i'll keep reading the papers.

Old July 31st, 2011, 09:12 PM   #229
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): None yet

1. People are entitled to wear whatever they want when they ride, gear or no gear, as long as they abide by local laws.

2. Gear will not reduce your risk of an accident. Actually, the argument that gear increases the likelihood of a wreck is a valid one. Gear is designed to be somewhat form fitting, which can restrict movement. Add pads to the gear and a helmet and you increase the size of your overall form, increasing drag, and slightly changing the dynamics of the bike. Also, the wind noise from the helmet is distracting and earplugs dull a critical sense used to evaluate your surroundings. Gear can also give the rider a false sense of security, causing them to lower their guard more than they would if they weren't wearing any. However, gear can significantly reduce the risk and severity of injury. So, wearing gear or not wearing gear is a tradeoff.

3. No amount of skill will prevent all accidents. A rider's level of skill applies to the rider and the rider only. Unfortunately the rider is not the only one on the road, and a riders skill can only make up a portion of the deficit carried by others on the road.

4. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so quityerbitchin.

Old July 31st, 2011, 11:20 PM   #230
almost40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoJC View Post
Actually, the argument that gear increases the likelihood of a wreck is a valid one.
Will this insanity ever stop??? Its not the gear.........its the pilot.
Quote:

Gear is designed to be somewhat form fitting, which can restrict movement. Add pads to the gear and a helmet and you increase the size of your overall form, increasing drag, and slightly changing the dynamics of the bike.
WHAT???????????????????????????????
Quote:

Also, the wind noise from the helmet is distracting and earplugs dull a critical sense used to evaluate your surroundings.
I guess getting hit in the face by large bugs isnt distracting at all. Nor is your watering eyes as the wind pours around your shades.
Quote:

Gear can also give the rider a false sense of security, causing them to lower their guard more than they would if they weren't wearing any. However, gear can significantly reduce the risk and severity of injury. So, wearing gear or not wearing gear is a tradeoff.
Ya had me up until the last sentance.
Dont wear your gear if you like road rash. Is that the trade off your speaking of ???

LOOK PEOPLE
There are many new riders here. Some have 0 experience. Please stop filling there heads with nonsense. If you think its safe and wise to ride without your gear. GOOD for you. ITS YOUR A$$
Stating BS like the above is not constructive. ITS IDIOTIC
There is absolutly no evidence to back up the first 2 quotes here. NONE.
Im glad that a few here feel the need to justify NO gear with made up BS.

If you are new to riding. GEAR UP. THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE.
PM the OP here and ask him if he plans on wearing his gear next time.
BET HE DOES.
WANA KNOW WHY??? LOOK BELOW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rash.jpg (124.4 KB, 1 views)

Old August 1st, 2011, 03:21 AM   #231
n4mwd

Quote:
1. People are entitled to wear whatever they want when they ride, gear or no gear, as long as they abide by local laws.

2. Gear will not reduce your risk of an accident. Actually, the argument that gear increases the likelihood of a wreck is a valid one. Gear is designed to be somewhat form fitting, which can restrict movement. Add pads to the gear and a helmet and you increase the size of your overall form, increasing drag, and slightly changing the dynamics of the bike. Also, the wind noise from the helmet is distracting and earplugs dull a critical sense used to evaluate your surroundings. Gear can also give the rider a false sense of security, causing them to lower their guard more than they would if they weren't wearing any. However, gear can significantly reduce the risk and severity of injury. So, wearing gear or not wearing gear is a tradeoff.

3. No amount of skill will prevent all accidents. A rider's level of skill applies to the rider and the rider only. Unfortunately the rider is not the only one on the road, and a riders skill can only make up a portion of the deficit carried by others on the road.

4. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so quityerbitchin.
You hit the nail on the head on all four points. I always wear a helmet even though I don't legally have to, but it DOES restrict my vision. For example, when I change lanes, I have to make an educated guess as to whether or not there is someone else there because I can't just look and see. I have accidentally cut people off changing lanes too. Fortunately, the driver was alert and we didn't collide.

Basically, if certain gear is so distracting to the rider that it can cause an accident, then he should seriously weigh the consequences of going without. Personally, I don't wear boots for that very reason.

I can certainly sympathize with the OP in that it was too hot for leathers. I will not judge him for that. It was his decision and nobody else's. I wear mesh myself. If all they had was leather, I would go without. I've gone down twice at low speed and took hard hits on my shoulder and the CE armor did its job. I walked away both times and only suffered injury to my ego.

Old August 1st, 2011, 03:26 AM   #232
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40
There are many new riders here. Some have 0 experience. Please stop filling there heads with nonsense.
You're right, we should jam our opinion down their throats instead of allowing them to view both sides of the argument and form their own opinions. Good call.

Old August 1st, 2011, 06:54 AM   #233
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Except there aren't "both sides". Anyone is free to choose to do whatever they like, but the points you made about gear making it more likely to have an accident are ludicrous. And D - turn your head when changing lanes.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 1st, 2011, 10:03 AM   #234
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Except there aren't "both sides". Anyone is free to choose to do whatever they like, but the points you made about gear making it more likely to have an accident are ludicrous. And D - turn your head when changing lanes.
I have limited flexibility in my back so twisting around backwards to stare at the traffic behind me is not possible. So yes, my modular limits my visibility and could get me into trouble. My 3/4 helmet didn't have the problem as bad, but I don't really like it that well for other reasons. Fortunately, my helmet doesn't generate much noise and I can usually hear the radiator fan of nearby traffic, but in heavy traffic, it gets confusing as to whose fan is where.

I don't propose that gear issues causing accidents are common, but the probability does exist. ANY time you get distracted while riding, that is a chance for an accident - whether its a hot bimbo walking down the sidewalk, an important text message, or a motorcycle boot that doesn't fit right.

Old August 1st, 2011, 10:17 AM   #235
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Except there aren't "both sides". Anyone is free to choose to do whatever they like
If there's an option to wear gear or not to wear gear, that would mean there are two sides.

Quote:
but the points you made about gear making it more likely to have an accident are ludicrous
Care to validate your point? The nuh-uh argument doesn't hold much water.

Quote:
And D - turn your head when changing lanes.
Not everyone fits the same cookie-cutter body structure that the vast majority of bike gear is modeled after. Especially if that person has a larger upper body.

Personally I've found several jackets that are either restrictive in the shoulders, or are loose to the point that when leaning too far forward, cause the shoulder area of the jacket to bunch up around the helmet and restrict head movement, even more so when that jacket has shoulder pads.

I have yet to find riding pants that fit properly. Either they're too long, too baggy, or too tight in the crotch or waste.

Wind noise because of the helmet is sufficient enough to cause hearing damage. That high of a pitch at those decibels, or the use of earplug, is more than enough to dull the sound of a nearby vehicle, depending on the vehicle.

Ever had your jacket whip around or puff up? That's drag. Why do you think people tuck when they accelerate?

Old August 1st, 2011, 10:36 AM   #236
almost40

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
I have limited flexibility in my back so twisting around backwards to stare at the traffic behind me is not possible.
If this is a fact of life for you. You have balls that clank while you ride. I like to look in my blind spot before I change lanes. If I could NOT....I think I would park MY bike.
Quote:
I don't propose that gear issues causing accidents are common, but the probability does exist.
of course it does. The trade off is road rash, no road rash if you go down.
Quote:
ANY time you get distracted while riding, that is a chance for an accident - whether its a hot bimbo walking down the sidewalk, an important text message, or a motorcycle boot that doesn't fit right.
Very true.

Old August 1st, 2011, 10:40 AM   #237
almost40

Quote:
If there's an option to wear gear or not to wear gear, that would mean there are two sides.

Care to validate your point? The nuh-uh argument doesn't hold much water.

Not everyone fits the same cookie-cutter body structure that the vast majority of bike gear is modeled after. Especially if that person has a larger upper body.

Personally I've found several jackets that are either restrictive in the shoulders, or are loose to the point that when leaning too far forward, cause the shoulder area of the jacket to bunch up around the helmet and restrict head movement, even more so when that jacket has shoulder pads.

I have yet to find riding pants that fit properly. Either they're too long, too baggy, or too tight in the crotch or waste.

Wind noise because of the helmet is sufficient enough to cause hearing damage. That high of a pitch at those decibels, or the use of earplug, is more than enough to dull the sound of a nearby vehicle, depending on the vehicle.

Ever had your jacket whip around or puff up? That's drag. Why do you think people tuck when they accelerate?
You want me to field this one ALEX??? lol Its so full of holes its swiss cheese.

Old August 1st, 2011, 10:48 AM   #238
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You want me to field this one ALEX??? lol Its so full of holes its swiss cheese.
Still waiting for someone to make a valid argument.....

Old August 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM   #239
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
The two sides aren't "wear gear" or "don't wear gear". That is a decision that each of us make each time we get on the bike, and the same individual might make different decisions under different situations.

The "two sides" that I was objecting to are "gear helps" and "gear doesn't help". Those aren't both sides that can be intellectually supported. If some gear doesn't fit, find some that does. If some gear is distracting, find some that isn't. If no gear on the planet fits or is non-distracting, then don't use any. But convincing oneself that one is ultimately safer on a motorcycle in any situation while wearing less protective gear is patently foolish.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 1st, 2011, 11:12 AM   #240
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The two sides aren't "wear gear" or "don't wear gear". That is a decision that each of us make each time we get on the bike, and the same individual might make different decisions under different situations.

The "two sides" that I was objecting to are "gear helps" and "gear doesn't help". Those aren't both sides that can be intellectually supported. If some gear doesn't fit, find some that does. If some gear is distracting, find some that isn't. If no gear on the planet fits or is non-distracting, then don't use any. But convincing oneself that one is ultimately safer on a motorcycle in any situation while wearing less protective gear is patently foolish.
Does this mean I need to wear a cup?

Closed Thread