ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Closed Thread

Old August 1st, 2011, 11:15 AM   #241
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Clearly.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 1st, 2011, 11:28 AM   #242
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

do you care to back up your claim that
"Actually, the argument that gear increases the likelihood of a wreck is a valid one "

What is your source for this?? Your brain??
Making a statement and the asking the other party to prove his side is the most idiotic thing ever.
You were called on it . BY ME. Now prove your statement.

Ill say this.
ITS NOT THE GEAR.....ITS THE RIDER.
If YOU percieve greater saftey while wearing your gear and CHOOSE to ride more reckless. THEN ITS YOUR FAULT. Has nothing to do with the gear. ITS THE WAY YOU VIEW THE SITUATION IN YOUR PEA SIZED BRAIN.
Most of us here understand that the riding is dangerous and we wear gear to protect ourself the best we can. It doesnt change the way we ride.
If YOU put on gear, and then your brain says to you go faster be more reckless because your wearing leather. YOUR A MORON.

I would start a poll on this if it wasnt so IDIOTIC.

Next quote
"Not everyone fits the same cookie-cutter body structure that the vast majority of bike gear is modeled after. Especially if that person has a larger upper body.

Personally I've found several jackets that are either restrictive in the shoulders, or are loose to the point that when leaning too far forward, cause the shoulder area of the jacket to bunch up around the helmet and restrict head movement, even more so when that jacket has shoulder pads.

I have yet to find riding pants that fit properly. Either they're too long, too baggy, or too tight in the crotch or waste."

They do make CUSTOM SUITS ya know.

Next quote
"Wind noise because of the helmet is sufficient enough to cause hearing damage. That high of a pitch at those decibels, or the use of earplug, is more than enough to dull the sound of a nearby vehicle, depending on the vehicle"

Im guessing its totally silent when you arent wearing a helmet.

Lastly
"Ever had your jacket whip around or puff up? That's drag. Why do you think people tuck when they accelerate?"

UHHH NO. My gear fits me properly.
I still fail to see how this has anything to do with making it unsafe to wear gear.
Please explain in detail so I can pick it apart.

Old August 1st, 2011, 12:10 PM   #243
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
The "two sides" that I was objecting to are "gear helps" and "gear doesn't help". Those aren't both sides that can be intellectually supported. If some gear doesn't fit, find some that does. If some gear is distracting, find some that isn't. If no gear on the planet fits or is non-distracting, then don't use any. But convincing oneself that one is ultimately safer on a motorcycle in any situation while wearing less protective gear is patently foolish.
I never said gear doesn't help, I specifically stated that gear reduces both the likelihood of an injury and the severity. I also never stated that less gear is "safer". What I said is that people who argue that gear increases the chances of a wreck have a valid argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoJC
Gear will not reduce your risk of an accident. Actually, the argument that gear increases the likelihood of a wreck is a valid one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoJC
However, gear can significantly reduce the risk and severity of injury.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
but the points you made about gear making it more likely to have an accident are ludicrous.
The explanation of your statement doesn't match the statement you made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40
do you care to back up your claim that
"Actually, the argument that gear increases the likelihood of a wreck is a valid one "

What is your source for this?? Your brain??
You were called on it . BY ME. Now prove your statement.
I've already stated my side. Restrictive gear can dull senses or restrict range of motion. If you don't see how that can directly result in a wreck, I'm sorry.

And yes it comes from my brain since it's a personal experience. My statement wasn't an absolute one, it was a statement that pointed out a potentially negative aspect that gives credit to the other side of the argument. If so much as one person has an experience that backs up my point, my point is valid.

Quote:
Making a statement and the asking the other party to prove his side is the most idiotic thing ever.
Asking someone to back up their statement is idiotic? So we should just take the statement as fact? Why are you arguing with me then?

Quote:
They do make CUSTOM SUITS ya know.
And everyone can afford a custom suit or has access to a dealer? I assume you feel that people shouldn't ride unless they have access to perfect gear?

Quote:
Im guessing its totally silent when you arent wearing a helmet.
Personally, I wouldn't know, I don't ride without a helmet. What I do know is that having 60+ MPH winds blow across your ears and the noise caused by a helmet are two very different things.

Quote:
UHHH NO. My gear fits me properly.
Good for you, not everyone is so lucky.

Quote:
I still fail to see how this has anything to do with making it unsafe to wear gear.
I never stated that wearing gear was unsafe, I stated that people claiming gear has the potential to increase the chances of a wreck, have a valid point.

If you want to argue my viewpoint, go ahead. But try keeping it to statements I've actually made please.

Old August 1st, 2011, 12:12 PM   #244
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Op can I use your pics on a website for motorcycle safety that I am building.

Old August 1st, 2011, 12:20 PM   #245
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoJC View Post
I also never stated that less gear is "safer". What I said is that people who argue that gear increases the chances of a wreck have a valid argument.

...snip...

I never stated that wearing gear was unsafe, I stated that people claiming gear has the potential to increase the chances of a wreck, have a valid point.
And we're stating that they do not have a valid point. They are kidding themselves about the greater senses or greater mobility without gear as helping them avoid an accident.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 1st, 2011, 12:33 PM   #246
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
And we're stating that they do not have a valid point. They are kidding themselves about the greater senses or greater mobility without gear as helping them avoid an accident.
The use of gear has the potential to restrict mobility and dull certain senses? Are you arguing against this?

If you're not against my statement, then we're on the same page.

The part you're failing to see, and was likely poorly worded by others, is that no gear does not reduce the chance of a wreck, but gear does have the potential to increase it.

To explain it another way, lets look at the risk of an accident as having a base chance of likelihood. Wearing gear can potentially increase that chance, but that doesn't mean not wearing gear decreases it. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Old August 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM   #247
Alex
ninjette.org dude

You defined wearing gear as some sort of safety tradeoff. That is what I am most strenuously disagreeing with. I think your argument is both wrong and dangerous.

I reject your claim that proper gear has the potential to increase the chances of a wreck. If that stated potential is actually realized by any actual motorcycle wearing any actual gear, the motorcyclist chose the wrong gear or is more easily distracted than any of us need to be on two wheels.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:02 PM   #248
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You defined wearing gear as some sort of safety tradeoff. That is what I am most strenuously disagreeing with. I think your argument is both wrong and dangerous.

I reject your claim that proper gear has the potential to increase the chances of a wreck. If that stated potential is actually realized by any actual motorcycle wearing any actual gear, the motorcyclist chose the wrong gear or is more easily distracted than any of us need to be on two wheels.
You're making the assumption that everyone has access to properly fitting gear and that everyone knows what properly fitting gear is. The fact that there are so many gear fitment guides out there would suggest that a good number of people aren't wearing proper gear.

I'm making a statement based on an average rider in an average situation and you're arguing it with a perfect set of circumstances.

I'll ask my question again:

Do you agree or disagree that on average, gear has the potential to restrict movement or dull certain senses?

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:09 PM   #249
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

I put a poll up. We'll let the community make the decision.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:10 PM   #250
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I reject the question. It is pointless and misleading. Or even more correctly, it is incomplete.

"Do you agree or disagree that on average, gear has the potential to restrict movement or dull certain senses, such that there is any single case on the planet where choosing not to wear said gear would be ultimately safer for the motorcyclist, taking into account their own distractions and uncomfortableness in wearing anything but their birthday suit",

then I'd answer my modified question as I disagree.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:13 PM   #251
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
The use of gear has the potential to restrict mobility and dull certain senses? Are you arguing against this?
YES. If your gear causes this problem. You need better or different gear.

Quote:
The part you're failing to see, and was likely poorly worded by others, is that no gear does not reduce the chance of a wreck, but gear does have the potential to increase it.
Once again........ You need better or different gear if this is what you believe or have experienced.

Quote:

To explain it another way, lets look at the risk of an accident as having a base chance of likelihood. Wearing gear can potentially increase that chance, but that doesn't mean not wearing gear decreases it. The two aren't mutually exclusive.
"Wearing gear can potentially increase that chance."

maybe in your world.....Not in the real world.

If your helmet restricts your vision. Try a different helmet.
If your jacket in someway restricts your movement and ability to ride. Time to go shopping for a differen one.
NEED I GO ON??

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:14 PM   #252
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
I put a poll up. We'll let the community make the decision.
This isn't a "decision" that we all need to live with collectively. It's an individual decision where we take in all the available information, process it on our own, and make the right individual choices. This website promotes safe riding, safe learning, and the responsibility of wearing appropriate gear. Anyone seriously standing up and saying that gear is a tradeoff and has the potential for causing more accidents than not wearing that gear is not providing appropriate information for new riders who don't know any better.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:17 PM   #253
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I reject the question. It is pointless and misleading. Or even more correctly, it is incomplete.

"Do you agree or disagree that on average, gear has the potential to restrict movement or dull certain senses, such that there is any single case on the planet where choosing not to wear said gear would be ultimately safer for the motorcyclist, taking into account their own distractions and uncomfortableness in wearing anything but their birthday suit",

then I'd answer my modified question as I disagree.
No, my question was complete in that it directly applied to the relevant aspect of the point I'm trying to make.

Your question is biased, leading, and doesn't apply to the argument.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:17 PM   #254
almost40

Quote:
This isn't a "decision" that we all need to live with collectively. It's an individual decision where we take in all the available information, process it on our own, and make the right individual choices. This website promotes safe riding, safe learning, and the responsibility of wearing appropriate gear. Anyone seriously standing up and saying that gear is a tradeoff and has the potential for causing more accidents than not wearing that gear is not providing appropriate information for new riders who don't know any better.
AMEN...Preach it.

If you dont want to wear gear..... I DONT CARE. As stated before..its your A$$
I do care to help the new riders make inform decisions. Maybe, just maybe, Ill save a new rider the pain and discomfort of road rash.
Can you make that claim???

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:18 PM   #255
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
So you feel that people shouldn't be given as much information as possible and then allowed to make their own decisions, but instead should simply be told what to do?

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:26 PM   #256
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
So you feel that people shouldn't be given as much information as possible and then allowed to make their own decisions
Of course - which is why I'm disagreeing with you. I wouldn't want your posts to stand here unchallenged as if they were shared by others.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:27 PM   #257
almost40

Quote:
Your question is biased, leading, and doesn't apply to the argument.
I could say the same about yours. Plus Ill add mis/uninformed and has no basis in fact.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:27 PM   #258
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
If you dont want to wear gear..... I DONT CARE. As stated before..its your A$$
I do care to help the new riders make inform decisions. Maybe, just maybe, Ill save a new rider the pain and discomfort of road rash.
Can you make that claim???
Yes I can, but instead of simply telling people what to do, I choose to inform them, treat them like adults, and allow them to make their own decision based in the information provided.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:29 PM   #259
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I could say the same about yours. Plus Ill add mis/uninformed and has no basis in fact.
The only statement you can say is ill informed is that gear can be restrictive. And since you can't speak for the entirety of the population, you can't make that statement.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:34 PM   #260
almost40

Quote:
The only statement you can say is ill informed is that gear can be restrictive. And since you can't speak for the entirety of the population, you can't make that statement.
I JUST DID.

If you are now willing to admit that it IS ill informed to say gear can be restrictive. What exactly is your point in saying that it can raise the possibility of an accident?

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:53 PM   #261
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I JUST DID.

If you are now willing to admit that it IS ill informed to say gear can be restrictive.
So you can speak for the entirety of the riding population? My poll would suggest otherwise, which was exactly the point of it.

Quote:
What exactly is your point in saying that it can raise the possibility of an accident?
That was my point. Gear can be restrictive and that can increase the chances of an accident. There's no hidden meaning behind it.

You and Alex are the ones assuming there's some hidden message and then attempting to argue against a statement that I never made.

Old August 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM   #262
almost40

Quote:
So you can speak for the entirety of the riding population? My poll would suggest otherwise, which was exactly the point of it.

That was my point. Gear can be restrictive and that can increase the chances of an accident. There's no hidden meaning behind it.
And once again FOR THE LAST TIME.
IF YOUR GEAR IS RESTRICTIVE.

GET NEW GEAR.

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM   #263
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I've seen a bunch of times where someone gets proper gear and wads the bike the first time out with it. This being after many, many rides with makeshift or little/no gear without incident. It happens. Did the gear cause the crash? No, but sometimes there's an over confidence and/or feeling of "i'm as badass as Rock" that they feel when they put that gear on and it sometimes gets them into trouble.

If someone gets into trouble because their gear doesn't let them move about well enough to get the job done, the gear didn't cause the trouble, the rider did, when he/she put the ill fitting gear on. My leathers do restrict me some. I can't turn my head as sharp with my helmet n leathers on as I can right now, but I adapt and twist some at the waist too. If I crash because I didn't look back far enough due to wearing my leathers n helmet, it wasn't the gear that caused me to crash, it was just me.

This is my 3 cents. I'm right 90% of the time and the other 15% don't matter.

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:03 PM   #264
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
IF YOUR GEAR IS RESTRICTIVE.

GET NEW GEAR.
THAT'S NOT AN OPTION FOR EVERYONE.

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:12 PM   #265
almost40

Quote:
THAT'S NOT AN OPTION FOR EVERYONE.
AND ONCE AGAIN. GOOD LUCK WITH THE ROAD RASH. HOPE IT DOESNT GET INFECTED.

Ive posted all Im going to say on this thread as its becoming an exercise in futility.

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM   #266
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I may or may not agree with the following comments:

Every motorcycle crash can be 100% avoided by simply choosing not to get on a motorcycle a the first place. If a person chooses to get on motorcycle and the result of that choice is a crash (regardless of the circumstances), it is that person's fault. It was a bad decision. They should have stayed home.

However, personally, I make bad decisions all day long. Like the worsted dress socks I wore on this hot summer day. Or the girl my gaze rested on a bit too long while out to lunch with the wife. Or my decision to ride my motorcycle in a college town filled with college girls who like to sext, smoke, and drink energy drinks while driving with a bony left knee.

Riding a motorcycle is risky business, and I make that risky decision every time I go out. Because of this initial decision on my part, I call them crashes and not accidents.

Lastly, to try and offset some the possible repercussions of that bad decision, I wear gear.

These are just my opinions and I hope some found them relevant and meaningful.

Brian

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:19 PM   #267
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
AND ONCE AGAIN. GOOD LUCK WITH THE ROAD RASH. HOPE IT DOESNT GET INFECTED.
If I tear up my legs, then that's my own fault. Unfortunately it's tough finding a pair of riding pants that fit properly. As far as the rest of me, I'm fairly well covered. Thanks for the concern though.

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:20 PM   #268
NavyNinjaDoc
Navy Ninja Doc

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 kawasaki ninja 250R

Sucks bro, Had a buddy and his arm looked just like yours. BUY A cooler jacket one that breathes better bro...100 degrees isnt worth a month or two of pain. get better soon man.

Old August 1st, 2011, 02:20 PM   #269
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I want to hear more about the girl at lunch.

Old August 1st, 2011, 03:13 PM   #270
Dr. Ew
Yoshi

Name: Dr. Ew

Motorcycle(s): 11 Ninja 250

Quote:
Ya... Does she have a sister?

Old August 1st, 2011, 04:02 PM   #271
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ew View Post
Ya... Does she have a sister?
What girl? This thread is so confusing.

Old August 1st, 2011, 04:06 PM   #272
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

let's just ask the riders who have crashed and have injuries and not wearing protective gear if they will ride without gear ever again.

Old August 1st, 2011, 04:41 PM   #273
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEXSPEED View Post
let's just ask the riders who have crashed and have injuries and not wearing protective gear if they will ride without gear ever again.
duh! how else are you going to show off your cool scars?

Old August 1st, 2011, 05:48 PM   #274
Dr. Ew
Yoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
What girl? This thread is so confusing.
Post 270 onetruevibe

Old August 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM   #275
Dr. Ew
Yoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEXSPEED View Post
Thats why i just wear a helmet only when i ride.

Old August 1st, 2011, 06:34 PM   #276
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Forget about it...I think my wife is lurking here.

Old August 1st, 2011, 06:55 PM   #277
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
You're making the assumption that everyone has access to properly fitting gear and that everyone knows what properly fitting gear is. The fact that there are so many gear fitment guides out there would suggest that a good number of people aren't wearing proper gear.

I'm making a statement based on an average rider in an average situation and you're arguing it with a perfect set of circumstances.

I'll ask my question again:

Do you agree or disagree that on average, gear has the potential to restrict movement or dull certain senses?
Wrong. The fact that there are so many gear fitment guides out there stresses the fact of how important it is for the gear to fit correctly. Go to any website that sells motorcycle gear and with every brand you will see an extensive list of measurements that can help you obtain the proper fit for every type of gear.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:16 AM   #278
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:

But it sure does reduce the chance of severe injury when an "accident" happens. I've never had my gear come near "causing" an accident. I see just fine through my helmet and am very mobile and comfortable when fully geared up. So no, in my personal experience, gear is not going to increase my chances of wrecking, however, your wording, "gear has the potential to increase the chances" could be correct depending on the rider.
The argument is gear vs no gear, which is safer. The answer is clearly gear is safer in terms of protection and has little or no impact on whether an accident actually occurs.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:22 AM   #279
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Originally Posted by DEXSPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ew View Post
Thats why i just wear a helmet only when i ride.
????Helmet only? You quoted Dexspeed's quote above and then made your comment which made absolutely no sense. He was saying if you ask anyone who crashed and has injuries if they'll ride again without protective gear (assuming they are even capable of ever riding again), they'd very likely (duh!) say no and will gear up to prevent the pain of not doing so. Then you replied, with your above statement about only wearing a helmet. Your protected head is no good with a broken back, road rash across the rest of your body, etc, etc, etc.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:42 AM   #280
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I've crashed dozens of times as a bicycle messenger, road racer and mountain biker and received pretty good road/gravel rash many times.

On motorcycles I've crashed many times on MX tracks, trails and pavement, injuries I received were quite extensive.

I choose to ride with or without gear at my leisure, I never rely on riding gear to get my out of accidents; I use my best judgment to avoid accidents.

No amount of gear is going to help you avoid accidents if you do not ride with the most basic riding skills or awareness of your surroundings.

Wearing gear is no substitute for paying attention to what you are doing or know how to control your vehicle at all time.

Closed Thread