ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 20th, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Name: justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250r

16 hour trip and 1 week to prepare.

i will be doing a 16+ hour trip and dont have much time to prepare myself for this. so far my plan is 1 backpack straped to the tail and 1 on my back and if i can a tank bag(taking all the belongings i can). i plan on many stops so this trip will end up being arounf 18 hours(ish). so any ideas on making this as least painful on the back and butt as possible? dont think il have time to order things so its basicly what i can find around town. thanks

Old May 20th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1999 "1000cc" ZX9R

I saw a picture of a pillow duct taped to the seat. Not sure if its safe or comfortable.
Sigma.40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #3
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

If you'll be home again in 16 hours, why do you need to take anything?

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #4
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
If you'll be home again in 16 hours, why do you need to take anything?
Without getting into all the drama and such... Let's just say I'm moving out, back home, and I chose my bike over my car. So I'm basically taking all I can and make this trip as painless as possible.

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You want to prepare your bike for a one day ride? Check the tire pressure, lube and check the chain, and start riding.

Or was the question more about how you want to carry all of your possessions with you on the trip, and you're being forced to choose between the motorcycle and the car for that purpose?

Solution there is to sell the car quickly and use the money earned to ship the rest of your crap home.

Check out greyhound's freight service for a cheap way to ship big boxes...they just add stuff to the cargo hold of their buses that go across the country when there's space. It's not the fastest method, but it's dead simple and it's like $125 to ship 100 pounds from coast to coast. I think I paid $70 to ship a full motorcycle frame from Virginia to Seattle.
http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

Then you don't need to take anything besides a backpack with you, and you can just enjoy the ride. Sounds like you need a good, relaxing ride--and loading up a bunch of crap onto the bike isn't going to give you that.

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #6
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

A back pack is going to kill your back for that length of ride. I suggest that you ship your stuff ahead of you and ride with just one pack bungeed to the tail. If you can, buy a large tank bag and stuff it with rigid plastic water bottles and a towel so that you can rest your chest and helmet on it. I use that trick for 13 hour 830+ mile rides and arrive not sore or tired. I try to rest on the bike such that I'm not expending any muscular effort other than two fingers of my throttle hand.

What's the longest ride you've been on? A big problem with the Ninjette is the saddle isn't really good for long distance riding for most people. My stock saddle has me in utter agony after only 200 miles or so. I put a Corbin on it for my long rides.

Staying hydrated is critical as the weather warms, that's why I use water bottles in the tank bag. I can drink the water and the water bottles still support my weight.

Carry a flat repair kit and practice using it beforehand, carry a small compressor. A small can of chainlube would be helpful. How many miles are you going?
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #7
NJ Ninjette
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Husky TE 250, 2002 KTM EXC 250r

In the same vein as the above post, rent a U-Haul trailer put you bike and your stuff in it, hook it to your car and go. Just a thought.
NJ Ninjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
A back pack is going to kill your back for that length of ride.
Not at all. I ride for hours with a stupid heavy pack sometimes (like 30+ pounds). All the weight rests on the passenger seat.

I did a 3 hour ride with a bass guitar strapped on my back...I wouldn't recommend that.

Old May 20th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #9
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

All good tips. Uhal was te original plan till I realized I won't have a trailer hitch in a weeks time. And I'd rather have my bike than my beater car lol. Im trying to find a good tank bag locally and will try the rest on the bag method. Longest ride I have done I'd say is about 5 hours and the backpack did hurt a little.

Old May 20th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #10
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

This sounds like poor planning on your part.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #11
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I found one of these at the local Cycle Gear today http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...o-Tankbag.aspx

I came to my senses and got an Ogio No Drag, which others and I think is a great backpack for riding.

Take lots of breaks. If your butt starts to ache a lot, then pull over at the next decent looking gas station and have some water and get some circulation in your legs.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 05:58 AM   #12
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Not at all. I ride for hours with a stupid heavy pack sometimes (like 30+ pounds). All the weight rests on the passenger seat.

I did a 3 hour ride with a bass guitar strapped on my back...I wouldn't recommend that.
It varies from person to person, Skippii, obviously your experience doesn't apply to everyone. In my case I rode with a back pack for around 25 miles for the first time three years ago, and I still have lingering back problems in part from that. If the OP has never ridden long distances with a pack it would be really tragic if he found out he had a back like mine instead of a back like yours, and unfortunately for most folks, there's no do-overs when it comes to back injuries.

My recommendation to the OP still stands, though I'll add a caveat to mollify you and say to the OP that if he has lots of trouble-free experience riding a pack on long rides then he probably won't have any problems with this epic journey. Probably.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 06:36 AM   #13
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
This sounds like poor planning on your part.
Lol well I'm glad you was able to put the asking for tips and the week to prepare together an figure that out. The reason for a week is due to personal problems here and a good job back home. So I'm working with what I have and doing what I can to have my bike lol. But thanks for your input as it is highly valued and will be in the back of my mind all day.

Old May 28th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #14
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Made the long trip with nothing but 2 backpacks and a tank bag. Was good until the last 6 hour stretch and sleepiness kicked in. But glad to be home and thanks for the advise specialy the tank bag to rest on.

Old May 28th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #15
Countersteer
<><><><><><><><><>

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): <2008 250R> Past Bikes:06 GSXR600 89 CBR1000 78 Hawk 400 86 Ninja 600R 86 & 87 FZ600 81 GPZ550 71 CB360T

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy View Post
...well I'm glad you was able to put the asking for tips and the week to prepare together an figure that out.
That is some of the best and most appropriate sarcasm I have seen in awhile!

Glad you made it to your destination safely.

To say speed kills is akin to saying guns kill, neither of which is true.
Countersteer is offline   Reply With Quote