ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 8th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #41
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

If you can't find Dupont Teflon locally, you can get it(multi purpose or chain lube) from Amazon.com for about $12 shipped in the U.S.
I get mine from Lowe's..

Last futzed with by Ichiro; March 20th, 2011 at 10:21 AM.
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #42
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpsiguy View Post
WD40------- can of worms offically opened---------
Does your chain rust up at all? Or do you spray it on real regular due to need of more.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #43
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

I've used both the Maxima Chain Wax and Castrol Chain Wax. It's whatever is on sale at the local Cycle Gear whenever I go in and pick stuff up.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #44
2fiddy
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250r

Best Chain Lube?

Hey guys. Just bought my bike stands to be able to work on my own bike and looking for the best chain lube to buy/use. What do you guys recommend?
2fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #45
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

So if I'm correct every 300-500 miles you should use a cleaner such as WD-40 with a rag to wipe down and clean your chain and then use Teflon spray to lube it?
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #46
kkim

yes, clean and lube chain every 400 miles... check adjustment every 600.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10577
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #47
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

That's not the only option, but that would certainly work fine.

(edit: my response was to secret ninja man, not kkim. but i fully agree with kkim's advice as well)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #48
wtfh4xx

Thanks, Kkim and Alex you guys are on top of it.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!

Old June 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #49
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Maxima Chain Wax vs. DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant

So I decided a while back that the next time I cleaned the chain I would use a different lube. DuPont is known for making good products so when they get good reviews it must be good. The first thing about the DuPont lube is that it's a multi use spray, not a motorcycle specific lube, however this same stuff also comes in a can with the label for motorcycles. Later for that one. The label says that it is a patented blend of "wax based lubricant",goes on wet to penetrate and then to dries leaving a lubricating film. DuPont also claims that it will not attract dirt and grime or fling. Maxima Chain Wax also makes the same claim as not to attract dirt and grime or fling.
Both claim to be resistant to water.

Before I applied it, I shook the can well (there's a rattle ball inside). It did not have a strong smell like the Maxima Chain Wax, came out the can quick and it was runny, however it dried quickly. It did leave a waxy feel on the chain, unlike the slightly tacky feel from the Maxima Chain Wax. While the Maxima Chain Wax leaves a slight yellowish brown coat on the chain, the DuPont is almost invisible. Now is where the difference between the two comes in to play for me. If you look at my bike you might say I'm borderline OCD. However I just like my Ninja to be clean. People used to ask me, "why do you keep your cars so clean?, you're always wiping on them." My response would be, "God has blessed me with this car and the means to have one, the least I can do is keep it clean so when he looks down he can see himself in it." Anyway.....back to the lube...

After a few minutes, I notice white dots, residue and overspray everywhere, despite the fact that I used a barrier for that very purpose. Not something I was looking for. So I did a little comparison test to see the difference in adhesion between the two. One short spray of the DuPont saturated the piece of paper I sprayed it on and immediately began to run. The Maxima even after a few sprays barely moved. I should also mention that as long as I been using Maxima Chain Wax, I've had little overspray flaking or fling.

So here is how they stack up so far.

DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant- $5.97 for a 11 oz. can
Maxima Chain Wax- $4.95 for a 5.5 oz. can

DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant- Semi clear, runny and wet to dry application
Maxima Chain Wax- slight yellow, wet to slightly tacky application.
Both are easy to clean

After some miles on this application of DuPont Teflon Multi-use Dry Wax Lubricant, I'll see how it holds up to Maxima. Until then I got a few squeaky door hinges. I think I know which one I will use.
Attached Images
File Type: png DSCF0011.JPG_thumb.png (768.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: png MaxvsDu.jpg_thumb.png (767.1 KB, 3 views)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #50
wtfh4xx

I believe the "runny-ness" of the du pont is so that is can penetrate the chain and get into all the small nooks and crannies.
Also, did you let it dry before riding and also did you notice any fling off?

great write up, I think ill be looking for the Teflon Chain Saver.
2010 SE 250R!

Old June 8th, 2011, 03:00 PM   #51
kkim

Blue,

Like you, I was very skeptical when this came on the market and was a Maxima Chain Wax convert for many years prior. Now I stock up on the Dupont stuff whenever I run across it at a store. Seems a hit or miss thing if they have it on the shelves, over here.

Hope your testing results favorably for the Dupont stuff on your chain, but if not, I've used it in the house on sliding door rails and wheels and the doors opened great after spraying them w/ the Dupont. It's been over a year now and the door is still very easy to open. Good stuff to keep around the house, even if you decide not to use it on your chain.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #52
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

No one uses the bel-ray wax? I saw it had good reviews so i picked that up, it leaves the white residue. Ive only cleaned and lubed the chain once so far, so i cant really say much.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #53
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfh4xx View Post
I believe the "runny-ness" of the du pont is so that is can penetrate the chain and get into all the small nooks and crannies.
Also, did you let it dry before riding and also did you notice any fling off?

great write up, I think ill be looking for the Teflon Chain Saver.
Oh yeah, it set up for a whole day before I rode it. It got a good work out on the Diamondback last weekend. It did not fling and seems to be holding up well. I'll probably flip flop between the two.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #54
wtfh4xx

Awesome, due to lack of availability I had to pick up the Maxima Chain Wax.
Really wanted the Du-Pont Chain Saver

Ill let you guys know how it works out.
2010 SE 250R!

Old June 11th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #55
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
Does your chain rust up at all? Or do you spray it on real regular due to need of more.
I just spray it every now and then. Probably average about every 4 to 500 miles. No rust at all. I am OCD about my rides and my maintenance. Chains and sprockets are not that expensive anyway. But, fact of the matter is I expect to get just as many miles as a waxed chain.

Old June 11th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #56
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by highpsiguy View Post
I just spray it every now and then. Probably average about every 4 to 500 miles. No rust at all. I am OCD about my rides and my maintenance. Chains and sprockets are not that expensive anyway. But, fact of the matter is I expect to get just as many miles as a waxed chain.
Four reasons not to use WD-40 as a chain lubricant:

1. The lube in WD-40 doesn't work for this application. WD-40 is only 15% lube, and the type of lube in WD-40, light mineral oil, is meant for light duty only. It works fine on hinges, etc., but it is highly viscous and lacks the compression strength to work to provide protection in heavy duty work between a sprocket and a chain. Because it is highly viscous it won't stay on at high speed either. You won't have any lube left on after even a few miles, let alone 400. Purpose built chain lubes are specifically engineered for the job they do, they are thicker and have more compression strength so they stay on better and provide a better barrier between chain and sprocket.

2. The solvent in WD-40 is going to hurt your sprocket long term. WD-40 is 50% solvent. Solvent takes stuff off chains, including lube. WD-40 makes a good cleaner, but what you are doing by using WD-40 as a lube is actually taking stuff off the chain. This makes your chain look nice - its probably super clean. But you are essetially ensuring that you will have a metal on metal contact - this is going to wear your sprocket faster in the long term. And while this is better than running a dirty chain, it is worse than running a clean, lubed chain. Go ahead and keep using WD-40 to clean, just add one more step -- add some real lube afterward, too.

3. The solvent will also hurt your chain long term. WD-40 will, on long term exposure, eat the o-rings in your chain. This makes sense as it is 1/2 solvent, and mineral oil itself tends to disolve things, too. In one study, WD-40 decreased o-ring strength by 20% on just 15 days of exposure. Use it to clean if you have to (but kerosene is better), but don't repeatedly apply and leave it on your chain. I've attached the study results below, along with a picture of the o-rings in your chain.

4. Real chain lube is cheaper than WD-40. A can of actual, engineered for the actual purpose you want to use it for, chain lube or wax is about the same price as WD-40, give or take a buck or two. Why would you use something that isn't made for chains, and for which there is some good evidence may be harmful to your bike, when it isn't saving you money? Cost of 13.5 oz. can of Maxima Chain Wax at Rocky Mountain ATV = $6.99. Cost of 12 oz. can of WD-40 at Amazon.com = $7.75. Add in the cost of reduced life on your sprocket and chain, and the cost savings of using wax/lube are even better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oring_final.jpg (37.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg explode.jpg (19.4 KB, 12 views)

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #57
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

PJ1 Chain Lube. For decades. Black for non-o/x ring. Blue for o/x-ring.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #58
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

PJ1 blue label as well-it doesn,t fling off if you let it dry-what is that white crap the dealers put on-i have to clean my chain every i get my bike back from a service
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2011, 04:50 AM   #59
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlab View Post
PJ1 blue label as well-it doesn,t fling off if you let it dry-what is that white crap the dealers put on-i have to clean my chain every i get my bike back from a service
That's probably Bell-ray Super Clean and IMHO it is some of the best chain lube made. Although it is white, I preferred it over PJ1 Blue because it resisted sling so well. Most have learned to overlook the color because it has so many other great qualities. I used it for years. Using an Amsoil product now that I love.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2011, 05:36 AM   #60
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

Used Mobil chain spray, which utterly sucked.. everything was just flinged off onto the rear wheel. Then i got several recommendations for Royal Purple Max-Chain, which seems really awesome! Lubricates well, dries fast to a sort of protective film, and keeps dirt away. Will definitely buy again
Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #61
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Anyone try the new Spectro Z chain lube? I used their foaming green one in the 80's on dirtbikes, but like the maxima wax these days.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #62
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Just been reading up a bit more on the Dupont Multi Use and learned that Dupont has now made its Teflon "Chain-Saver" (previously only available to industry and not public) widely available. A few bucks a can more expensive than the multi-use, but they say it will last longer, that they developed it specifically for motorcycles in response to less than ideal use of Multi Use. Dupont recommends the Chain-Saver now for motorcycles.

Here is a nice write-up on it from webbikeworld. Essentially, if Dupont felt like they needed a speciality product that lasted longer and admit potential need to reapply the multiuse after 70 miles, I think I'm going to move to the new, motorcycle specific, product.

And here is a video comparing the old and new formulations:

Link to original page on YouTube.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #63
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Let me first say that I don't have any experience using either of these Dupont lubes but the "new" formula looks like it defeats one of the quality's most people like about the Multi-use. The thicker Chain Saver formulation looks to me like it would be a good candidate for excessive sling and dirt attraction. Even though if may be an excellent chain lube... To me it would not be a good choice for an overall quality product.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #64
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

time for a new can of maxima wax as mine just went empty
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #65
Tankball
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tank

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Black Ninja 250

Recommend chain lube brand?

Hey what brand of chain lube do you guys recommend? Also how often should I ve lubing thechain?

Thanks to all who reply
Tankball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #66
Trash Can Man
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, 87 & 99 Concours, Buell 1125CR

I use PJ1, and lube up every 500 miles.

Bumpty,bumpty, bump
Trash Can Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #67
Zola
40 on the road

Name: Vod

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2012 Ninja 650, 2006 Bonneville, 1990 Sportster

DuPont Teflon Multi-Purpose Lubricant is a favorite.
Every 600 miles or more often if...

Learn to use the wiki.

Download an owner's manual if you don't have one. Read it.

Consider purchasing a maintenance manual. Read it even if you never perform your own maintenance. You'll enjoy it and be better iinformed.

Read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pursig. You'll be better for it.

Ride and enjoy.
Zola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #68
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Name: Weezy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Having used PJ1 and other chain lubes in the past, I can honestly say they are all crap compared to Bel Ray Super Clean chain lube. It is just so much better than any other chain lube I've ever used. It doesn't fling off at all, makes the chain much quieter and the ride smoother, and lasts a good 500 miles before the chain even starts to look dirty. I highly recommend it.
outasight20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #69
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

I use Maxima chain wax every 400 miles.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #70
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Maxima.

It's the only one I've tried.
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #71
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zola View Post
DuPont Teflon Multi-Purpose Lubricant is a favorite.
Fail
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #72
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

+1 more for PJ1 Blue label every 5-600mi. Tried the Black label @ the track, did not like. It is kinda tacky though and definitely picks up dirt, but I give the chain a deep-clean every few months with kerosene, so it doesn't get bad.

Smells like dumpster offal though, so don't inhale

Edit: after reading the rest of the merged thread, I'm considering switching, perhaps back to Royal Purple Max-Chain (if I can find it) or to BelRay

Last futzed with by Momaru; May 31st, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Momaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 04:26 AM   #73
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged

Some updated information on Dupont's Teflon chain lube in this thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104972

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:23 PM   #74
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
/merged

Some updated information on Dupont's Teflon chain lube in this thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104972
And I almost bought a can of that at work the other day. Glad I didn't. I don't think we have the chain lube version on the shelf at my store.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:21 PM   #75
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

i use Motul chain cleaner to clean my chain and then i use the motul factory line chain lube. I love it because it gives it the nice factory look and its white, so you can see if you miss any spot. I usually just let it sit over night.. works great.
toua70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:04 PM   #76
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

This

in

I top up the oiler every 1000 or so miles & let it do it's job
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote