ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 22nd, 2015, 01:41 PM   #1
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Question Bike stalls, rattles, and won't idle properly

First sign of trouble was the bike started acting like it was running low on fuel. This happened Very intermittently , and didn't seem to correspond to any other behavior. The acceleration would be a little wavy, but I just assumed it might have been some bad gas or something.

Perhaps a week later (about 100 miles or so), I was having difficulties pushing it over 10k RPMs. Once I got to that point, itwould accelerate but only very sluggishly, When I got back to town, the bike stalled out just after slowing down for a turn, and didn't want to start back up until the engine temperature went down below 50% or so. I rode it gently the last mile home, and haven't used it for anything but trying to gather information about the experience. When at home, for the first time, I heard a loud whine, which turned out to be the gas cap venting air through itself. Not sure if that's normal.

When revving the engine in neutral or with the clutch in, things sound normal. When revving in gear there is a ticking or something that I can't locate. Since it only makes that noise while in gear, I feel like it would be a problem with the clutch or gears?

When I set my idle speed with the knob, it will remain at ~1.5k, and the bike will idle smoothly. If I then rev the engine, or drive it down the driveway and back, the idle speed rises to 3k,and the engine stalls out, and won't stay running at anything under 5k RPMs. The knob didn't move, though, but I'm able to turn it to return to the proper idle speed, and the bike will idle just fine again.

I'm not sure what is going on with it, without much experience with the technical side of bikes, but I definitely know it's not right. Anything I should look at before hauling it to a bike shop? Thanks.
goldfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2015, 04:17 PM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
What's the condition of the air filter?
What's the condition of the fuel filter(s) (if you have any)?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2015, 06:45 PM   #3
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
What's the condition of the air filter?
What's the condition of the fuel filter(s) (if you have any)?
Well, the air filter seems to have developed a hole in it since the last time I cleaned it. I'll definitely get a new one of those, but would that cause all of these problems? I couldn't find the missing foam either. Wonder where it went...

As for the fuel filter(s), I personally hadn't installed any aftermarket ones, but to be honest, I haven't gone looking for them on the bike from the previous owner. I probably should take a look at it, but I'll have to wait for the sunlight tomorrow.

Old August 22nd, 2015, 07:49 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Check for water in the gas?

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2015, 08:04 PM   #5
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that tomorrow after I wake up!

Old August 22nd, 2015, 08:09 PM   #6
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Well, I meant to attach this photo of the hole in the air filter to my prior post about it, but I forgot. Here we go:

Old August 22nd, 2015, 08:12 PM   #7
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Fresh gas is a good idea.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2015, 10:19 PM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfox View Post
Well, I meant to attach this photo of the hole in the air filter to my prior post about it, but I forgot. Here we go:

Looks like a good excuse to replace it with a K&N KA-2586 Kawasaki High Performance Replacement Air Filter

ZX-2R BLOG

Old August 23rd, 2015, 09:03 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:

That's not good, especially if it's been that way for any amount of time.

Check into UNI air filter material on Amazon. You can get numerous filters from one 12" x 12" square. Just trace this filter onto the material. I would also order some UNI air filter oil at the same time. Air filter oil is not the same as standard oil. It's tacky. Don't use too much though, or it will restrict air flow.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2015, 09:14 AM   #10
goldfox
ninjette.org member

My air filter cleaning/replacement was due in 1,000 more miles, so it's great that I caught it early at all.

I did look at the K&N air filter, but I'm not made of money, so i ordered the Uni last night. Will take a few days to arrive, though.

It's not easy to see, but I got a small blob of water after draining all ~2 gallons into a jar and waiting. Doesn't seem like much, but it'll be good to get any water out of it, surely.

I picked up a new fuel line hose and an in-line filter, rather than the stock 'floating cone' that was in the line. I'll be adding new fuel later today. I also bought some Seafoam, as it surely won't hurt to try it out!

I did check the filters on the petcock and the floating one in the fuel line, but they were clear. In the photo there are specks, but those are on the outside of the jar. The only sediment in the fuel seemed to be one small white thing that resembled a calcium deposit or paint chip. It was very small, and I couldn't find any more of it in the tank or fuel line.

Last futzed with by goldfox; August 23rd, 2015 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling!

Old August 23rd, 2015, 01:53 PM   #11
goldfox
ninjette.org member

The air filter will take a few days more to arrive, but I got the in-line fuel filter installed, and got completely fresh gas with Sea Foam mixed into it in the proper mixture.

The bike now has the horsepower back, which is great!

It's still has the rattle/click/tick noise when accelerating in gear, as well as the problem with the idle not resetting properly.

I'll give it another test run after the filter arrives.

The idle speed is strange. I can set it to 1250 RPMs or so, give it some throttle for just a fraction of a second, and then it won't go down past 3k RPMs. If I don't adjust it, it ends up as high as 6k before it stops rising. Twisting the black knob just slightly drops it back to the 1250 RPM area.

Old August 29th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #12
WageSlaveEscapist
ninjette.org member

Name: Escape

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 classic

Rattle and tick noise could be cam chain or a stiff drive chain on the rear wheel. Or misaligned wheel or worn sprockets causing chain noise. Are the valves adjusted? You'll need to rejet your carb after putting on that air filter, and imo it could use a plastic shield around it to keep water away from it. Check motor mount bolts too. I put a nylock nut on mine after I noticed the oem nut and spring lock washer had fallen off...
WageSlaveEscapist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #13
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
The air filter will take a few days more to arrive, but I got the in-line fuel filter installed, and got completely fresh gas with Sea Foam mixed into it in the proper mixture.

The bike now has the horsepower back, which is great!

It's still has the rattle/click/tick noise when accelerating in gear, as well as the problem with the idle not resetting properly.

I'll give it another test run after the filter arrives.

The idle speed is strange. I can set it to 1250 RPMs or so, give it some throttle for just a fraction of a second, and then it won't go down past 3k RPMs. If I don't adjust it, it ends up as high as 6k before it stops rising. Twisting the black knob just slightly drops it back to the 1250 RPM area.
Did you drain the carburetors as well? Did you clean them?

ZX-2R BLOG

Old August 29th, 2015, 07:53 PM   #14
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WageSlaveEscapist View Post
Rattle and tick noise could be cam chain or a stiff drive chain on the rear wheel. Or misaligned wheel or worn sprockets causing chain noise. Are the valves adjusted? You'll need to rejet your carb after putting on that air filter, and imo it could use a plastic shield around it to keep water away from it. Check motor mount bolts too. I put a nylock nut on mine after I noticed the oem nut and spring lock washer had fallen off...
It's hard to explain the noise, but its source is somewhere in the engine itself, and it is in sync with the normal engine revving noise. The chain could make such a noise, but it's not in the right location.

I haven't messed with the carbs just yet. I got the filter put in, and have been working, so I haven't had a chance to look around. I'll check them tomorrow if I have time. As for the valve adjustment, it was done 4-5,000 miles ago, so it wouldn't hurt to check them again - might not be a bad idea if I'm gonna be messing with the carbs anyway.

When I first got the bike, I had some issues with motor mount bolts misbehaving, but I learned my lesson fast and got some Loctite and check them weekly.

Thanks for the ideas!

Old August 29th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #15
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Did you drain the carburetors as well? Did you clean them?
On the to-do list! Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

---

I also want to lube the throttle cable, but will have to wait for the lubber I ordered to arrive. I'm not sure if the cable could be the problem (or part of it), but I'll certainly find out!

Old August 29th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #16
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
On the to-do list! Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

---

I also want to lube the throttle cable, but will have to wait for the lubber I ordered to arrive. I'm not sure if the cable could be the problem (or part of it), but I'll certainly find out!
If your in need of carburetor services PM @ducatiman

ZX-2R BLOG

Old August 30th, 2015, 12:29 PM   #17
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Carbs are free now, and they didn't look too bad from the outside - just a tiny bit of green. Still going to clean them, though! On the engine side, there was some sticky black goop, which I'm sure could also use some cleaning.

Apparently the previous owner (who did the carbs last) stripped a couple of the screws on the carbs, so I guess I need to order some more to replace them so they don't get even worse. Not sure if they are something I can get locally, or if I should just order OEM, though.

Old August 30th, 2015, 01:18 PM   #18
Ghostt
in your machine

I urge you to PM @ducatiman I personally know him, and vouch for him. He'll make them better than new

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226815

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...wpost&t=239678

He currently has a set already done, and for sale, for example

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=240826

ZX-2R BLOG

Old September 3rd, 2015, 11:38 AM   #19
goldfox
ninjette.org member

Well, I cleaned the carbs, though they weren't bad at all. Definitely won't hurt anything! The only thing which was in bad shape was one of the pilot o-rings. I looked around different shops online and the fiches, and found either a rebuild kit or part 16014-1081, which appears to be the entire pilot assembly (o-ring, washer, spring, and pilot screw)? Nothing wrong with getting a rebuild kit or full pilot assembly, but are the o-rings really not available separately?

Old September 3rd, 2015, 01:37 PM   #20
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Well, I cleaned the carbs, though they weren't bad at all. Definitely won't hurt anything! The only thing which was in bad shape was one of the pilot o-rings. I looked around different shops online and the fiches, and found either a rebuild kit or part 16014-1081, which appears to be the entire pilot assembly (o-ring, washer, spring, and pilot screw)? Nothing wrong with getting a rebuild kit or full pilot assembly, but are the o-rings really not available separately?

PM @ducatiman for parts as well, he sells complete kit, or pieces

Quote:
carb kit containing 2 bowl orings, 2 pilot screw orings, 2 float valves and 8 stainless buttonhead screws (for bowl and diaphragm covers)

enough to service 1 carb set (both carbs)

$28 shipped to you in CONUS. Paypal accepted, PM for further info.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...09&postcount=3

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226815

ZX-2R BLOG