ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #1
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Courtney

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Talking Questions about gloves.

k, deff a newb... and might get laughed at for asking but... Is there a difference in mens and ladies gloves? Im looking for Gloves (ladies) and theres either a lack of selection or if i find something i like its not in my size *poutface* and wtf.... So i was looking at mens gloves and you guys have endless amounts of them, so im thinking about ordering a pair of mens. But wanna CMA so im not wasting my own time! .... So please let me know if theres differences and your opinons!! Thanks!!
sassyninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

You are going to run in to this issue a lot in your searches for the proper gear and many women do wear men's gear. The important thing is that it fits you properly and keeps all of the safety features (such as armor, padding, etc) in the proper place. Each brand and style of each piece of gear fits different so do your due diligence and try everything on to find what works to protect you best.
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #3
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Name: Daniel "God"

Can anyone really tell if you are wearing mens or womans gear? I thought the only difference was sizes of pants and suits. Just wear what fits, and get gloves with hard knuckles to punch anyone that says anything about you wearing mens gear.
After all you are sassy aren't you?
xaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #4
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

YES!
Its been 2 weeks of this endless searching! unfortently im stuck online shopping for my first round of gear, my town has zero selection! i ve been following all the sizing charts and have found everything EXCEPT gloves.
So the short answer is I can prob get away with a mens glove?

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yea, a large ladies isn't the same size as a large mens. I am sure there is devil in the details but in the end, female riders will wear mens gloves but not so much the other way around.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #6
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaple View Post
Can anyone really tell if you are wearing mens or womans gear? I thought the only difference was sizes of pants and suits. Just wear what fits, and get gloves with hard knuckles to punch anyone that says anything about you wearing mens gear.
After all you are sassy aren't you?
Ahaha love it! I am!!

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

"If the shoe fits, wear it" - this applies to gloves too, if a mens glove fits, it's fiiiiine, no substitute to going into a shop, trying them on, and asking the assistant, most motorcycle shops employ riders themselves, so they will be able to help you, you may find women wearing mens gear is more common than you think.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #8
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyninja View Post
Ahaha love it! I am!!
For reference im only 5'7'' and 135 lbs and i use a medium glove.

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #9
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
For reference im only 5'7'' and 135 lbs and i use a medium glove.
A pesons body build wont say much about their hand size! but thanks
That and your a boy! you ll naturally have a bigger hand then me even if we were same weight and height.

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #10
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyninja View Post
A pesons body build wont say much about their hand size! but thanks
That and your a boy! you ll naturally have a bigger hand then me even if we were same weight and height.
If you know any other bikers try on a pair of their gloves.
Also alot of the sites out there have a no hassle return policy where if it doesnt fit you send it right back.
Sportbiketrackgear.com has that

Old April 16th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #11
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If you know any other bikers try on a pair of their gloves.
Also alot of the sites out there have a no hassle return policy where if it doesnt fit you send it right back.
Sportbiketrackgear.com has that
Thats actually a good idea!

I know, Im impatient to get out there! But i guess if it comes down to it no harm done in waiting a few more weeks for the perfect fit!

Thanks guys its been helpful!!

Old April 16th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #12
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I'm the other way... since I'm super not manly in figure, women's jackets usually come in my sizes. But I wear men's gear only haha but wear men's gear if it fits you right...

Old April 16th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #13
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I hate women's styling so I dont buy anything branded for women haha. This sometimes becomes a problem because I am very much on the small side but oh well. It's worked for me so far.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #14
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I'm the other way... since I'm super not manly in figure, ...
Sorry to hear that! I think the term is girly boy.

Old April 16th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #15
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Same difference

Old April 17th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #16
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

If it's at all helpful, I got my girlfriend some "Scorpion ExoWear Fiore Gloves Long Gold". They were only $80 and fit her very well. I would like them to have better slide protection, but for the price they do a solid job as a summer glove!

If interested: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7509

As a reference, I have a pair of large speed and strength gloves that are absolutely HUGE on her. She got a pair of mediums and they fit almost perfectly. I would assume this means sizes don't scale with gender.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #17
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

yea, for golves, I can't imagine there's anything different about mens/womens other than size. Just look at sizing charts, or try some on in a store, and you're good to go.

for jackets and pants though, I'm certain there are differences due to the different body shapes.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #18
astricklin
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

I would think that for most everything but a jacket, it would not matter as long as it fit. Jackets are definitely cut different as generally, a woman's torso tends to be shaped quite different from a man's.
When I was shopping for my jacket, there were these two other guys there and one of them was like, 'this jacket's fit is off, it says large.' His buddy responds 'ya, cause you grabbed it off the women's section.' Then 'Oh, guess that explains why the waist was tight and the chest loose.'

I chuckled to myself and thought, ya, it also has pink accents.

Old April 17th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #19
daisha
ninjette.org member

Name: Daisha

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250, 14 FZ-09

I'd say pretty much what everyone else already has - go with what fits. I have extremely long fingers, so I ended up buying mens gloves. I have yet to find a pair of women's gloves that actually fit. The only bummer is that the palms are a bit large - apparently my hands aren't nearly as beefy. I've also found that men's jackets tend to fit better (I have long arms) but they are a bit tight in the chest. Just find what works for you and rock it!
daisha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #20
rainbowdash
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Aubrey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I wear men's gloves, when trying them on I didn't really see a difference between men's and women's, and men's had a better selection. I do buy women's for jackets and pants, because I do think we are shaped differently enough to warrant it.. I only wish local shops carried more women's gear so I could try it on.
rainbowdash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #21
toddblue68
ninjette.org member

Name: Toad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja

Different manufacturers have different patterns, even within their own line-ups. The best approach is to shop around by first measuring your hands. Men do tend to have beefier hands, but the circumference is the primary measurement.

But to your question, there shouldn't be any difference other than width/length ratios between men's/women's gloves. The Alpinestars I've tried seemed narrower than others for the size (Elena Myers wears them, but couldn't tell you what her hands are like). Look for reviews where people say they're narrower, or longer, or whatever your needs are relative to other men's gloves you might have tried.

It takes time even for us guys.
toddblue68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #22
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
If it's at all helpful, I got my girlfriend some "Scorpion ExoWear Fiore Gloves Long Gold". They were only $80 and fit her very well. I would like them to have better slide protection, but for the price they do a solid job as a summer glove!

If interested: http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7509

As a reference, I have a pair of large speed and strength gloves that are absolutely HUGE on her. She got a pair of mediums and they fit almost perfectly. I would assume this means sizes don't scale with gender.
Ive noticed that! When i was checking out mens gloves i was 'assuming' that id be a small... No No seems like just the same as a womens glove ima medium(according to the sizing charts at least!), seems werid hence why i posted this question. I was thinking maybe the palm width would be similar to womens sizing but maybe the fingers will be longer.

Old April 18th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #23
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisha View Post
I'd say pretty much what everyone else already has - go with what fits. I have extremely long fingers, so I ended up buying mens gloves. I have yet to find a pair of women's gloves that actually fit. The only bummer is that the palms are a bit large - apparently my hands aren't nearly as beefy. I've also found that men's jackets tend to fit better (I have long arms) but they are a bit tight in the chest. Just find what works for you and rock it!
Thanks! Thats awesome, I just the jacket i ordered online (icon contra) in a mens sm and it fits, i have long arms as well, and this jacket fits me basically perfect. Im thinking short gloves are the way im gonna go cause everything else just doesnt look good to me so im guessing it ll be nice to have that extra length on the arms!

Old April 18th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #24
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I order my gear from revzilla and I usually call or email them and tell them what I want to buy, and my measurement and ask if whatever size fits me. The people that work there are also riders themselves and I'm sure they deal with quite a bit of returns. Most of the time they usually tell me the manufacturer's recommendation is incorrect and they would recommend another size. Don't assume a size small is "small". Verify the measurement which is very important. I've bought a glove that was a size xsmall in one and going to another brand, I had to order an xlarge.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote