ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Bent Frame....What would you do?

So I crashed a while back and have slowly been fixing my bike up into a ride-able condition.

This happened:

The main issue was the front end of the bike. The left fork (not brake rotor side) had a minor bend along with the left handle bar and I though that was my only problem. So I bought a set of straight forks and put them on. My bike still had issues, I couldn't align the front end. So then I thought, well I guess the triple tree is bent. So I bought a straight used complete triple tree. Put it on and guess what? Still wasn't straight. I started really looking at the frame at the steering stem to find that is was bent. AHHHHHH. So that is where I am at. I rode the bike today to see how bad it would be if I rode the bike with a bent frame. Well terrible idea. Braking is scary because the forks change direction because they are not aligned. And it is annoying that the handle bars have to be turned right to go straight.

Bent frame at steering tube:

What should I do? Part out the bike? Buy a used frame for +200 plus bucks in hopes that it is straight. (If I did that I would have to get the title from that frame and register it to make it be legal then there are many other issues that may arise with that plan. Such as registration fees, title fees, insurance fees. Right?)

Summary: Steering tube is bent, causes problems while riding. Can't ride like this. Don't know what to do now. Help!

What would you do?

I guess I wouldn't mind trying to sell it as a parts bike or sell parts individually. I brought upon this terrible situation when I crashed. As far as the parts I bought when trying to fix my bike. Well I am stupid. I should have looked at the frame first. But it was my first bike and my first crash. So, you live and you learn I guess. I am just happy that I lived. Haha.

*Alex: Please leave this post in the general motorcycling discussion thread! I want as many responses as possible. And it is kinda a general question. Thanks!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #2
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I would do whatever you could make more money off of in the long run. Say if you part it out and total only make $1000 vs. You buy a frame for +-$200 and put it all together, add another +-$100 for tag, title, etc... Then sell it for $1700ish, you would 'make' a $400 profit doing it that way vs parting out. Thats just imo.

I might be wrong however.

Then again, finding a straight frame may be hard, might not be. I know the pregen frames run pretty cheap used compared to the newgen.

And i know the #'s up their arent accurate, just an example.

Good luck on your decision!
gilmorec61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #3
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
*cough*

time for a new bike ??
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

New bike bro
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #5
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmorec61 View Post
I would do whatever you could make more money off of in the long run. Say if you part it out and total only make $1000 vs. You buy a frame for +-$200 and put it all together, add another +-$100 for tag, title, etc... Then sell it for $1700ish, you would 'make' a $400 profit doing it that way vs parting out. Thats just imo.

I might be wrong however.

Then again, finding a straight frame may be hard, might not be. I know the pregen frames run pretty cheap used compared to the newgen.

And i know the #'s up their arent accurate, just an example.

Good luck on your decision!
Too much work.

Option A: Bent it back

Option B: Sell it as is. Buyer Beware.

Old February 29th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #6
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Too much work.
If it was me, I'd like the challenge then again, thats just me. But yeah...maybe a newgen coming along in the near future??
gilmorec61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
*cough*

time for a new bike ??
Yeah new used bike. But I will have to wait till I can make some decentish money this summer. It is going to be hard waiting that long to ride again. Ugh I hate being a poor college student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Too much work.

Option A: Bent it back

Option B: Sell it as is. Buyer Beware.
How might 'I' bend it back accurately? I don't want to take it to a shop if I go this route. It's gonna take a lot of power to bend it back. And even then it might still be bent weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmorec61 View Post
If it was me, I'd like the challenge then again, thats just me. But yeah...maybe a newgen coming along in the near future??
Possibly? I would like to have one to compare the differences. If a deal is out there when I have the cash I would probably buy one.

Old February 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

buy a lightly crashed one with a straight frame or one with seized engine and combine both bikes into 1 good one
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #9
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
buy a lightly crashed one with a straight frame or one with seized engine and combine both bikes into 1 good one

I have been looking on CL and nobody is getting rid of a ninja in such a condition. I will have to keep checking.

But if I do this.... I would still have to insure that bike and title it and register it.

Old February 29th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #10
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I have been looking on CL and nobody is getting rid of a ninja in such a condition. I will have to keep checking.

But if I do this.... I would still have to insure that bike and title it and register it.
it would cost the same to insure as yours anyway. title and register are cheap tax on bike would be biggest expense but if u get it cheap then tax will be cheap. check a bike salvage yard prob tons of first gen available. do a google search for moto salvage.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 04:25 AM   #11
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
How might 'I' bend it back accurately? I don't want to take it to a shop if I go this route. It's gonna take a lot of power to bend it back. And even then it might still be bent weird.
I guess if I had to do it, I would disassemble the front end and secure the bike to a shop table, put a 6' stainless shaft through the neck and make it happen. Not very scientific but I guarantee it would work. I don't know what you have to work with but that's the general idea. Weight and leverage are on your side.

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:29 AM   #12
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
I guess if I had to do it, I would disassemble the front end and secure the bike to a shop table, put a 6' stainless shaft through the neck and make it happen. Not very scientific but I guarantee it would work. I don't know what you have to work with but that's the general idea. Weight and leverage are on your side.
Secure the bike how? It is difficult to see where the bend is, the steering stem deformation is a visible result of the crash, but probably not the only one. Securing the bike somewhere, and pulling back will probably result in some sort of an S bend. Not literally an S bend.

Further, it is very difficult to measure what you did. Even if you manage to get something resonably correct with tape and caliper (which is very very hard to do), you do not know the exact measures of the perfectly straight frame, and therefore have nothing to compare your measurements with.

But, if you have time to spare, you have nothing to loose. It is ruined as it is, it can hardly get any worse. Tear everything down, try to straighten it and put everything back and see how it feels. I wonder if you could make your job easier with some heating. I don't think you can heat steel enough in a garage to loose strenght enough to make it feasible. Anyway, if it gets you a reasonably safe ride, use it untill you earn enough for a new bike.

If I was in your place, I would try to sell the bike for parts and buy a new one when I get the cash.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 10:53 AM   #13
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

It's starting to sound like a money pit, part out what you can.

I don't know how it works in the US, but in both Ireland & the UK any crash where there is damage has to be reported, frame damage is an immediate insurance write off.

A donor frame from a breakers would be ok, once it's straight, or buy a cheap pregen & cannibalise the old one for parts as needed.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 12:40 PM   #14
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

I don't know man.

My brothers bike was crashed and we did the same thing, replacing radiator, fairings, forks, everything. Then when we tried to put the side fairings back on, we quickly found out that the frame was bent somewhere.

We are still in the process of deciding what to do, but buying a frame is still cheaper than replacing the bike (total cost after complete rebuild be around 1500 - 1700 including a NEW frame) and is much more fun that just parting it out.
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 01:49 PM   #15
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
It's starting to sound like a money pit, part out what you can.

I don't know how it works in the US, but in both Ireland & the UK any crash where there is damage has to be reported, frame damage is an immediate insurance write off.

A donor frame from a breakers would be ok, once it's straight, or buy a cheap pregen & cannibalise the old one for parts as needed.
Yeah it kinda is. I could have had at least $200 already saved for a new used bike. But I had no idea the frame was bent until I had all straight used parts. So what I have learned from this is to inspect he frame first then decided if I should buy parts. Or just not crash in the first place. Haha

I don't have full coverage insurance so I didn't care to report it. And no one else was involved so I decided not to call the cops. I know they would have given me a ticket and then my insurance company would raise my rates. No thanks!

As far as it being illegal to not report it....well if it happen on private land and no one else was involved then I wouldn't have to. At least that is what I was told when I had a crash in my car.

So lets say I crashed my bike on private land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBudd View Post
I don't know man.

My brothers bike was crashed and we did the same thing, replacing radiator, fairings, forks, everything. Then when we tried to put the side fairings back on, we quickly found out that the frame was bent somewhere.

We are still in the process of deciding what to do, but buying a frame is still cheaper than replacing the bike (total cost after complete rebuild be around 1500 - 1700 including a NEW frame) and is much more fun that just parting it out.
True. But I am just afraid something else will go wrong and then I will have a frame that I paid for but can't even use. I think I would feel better about parting out the bike or selling it as is to someone looking or a project or a parts bike.

Thanks for all the ideas folks!!! Keep 'em coming. This is a tough decision for me.

Old March 1st, 2012, 03:53 PM   #16
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Yeah it kinda is. I could have had at least $200 already saved for a new used bike. But I had no idea the frame was bent until I had all straight used parts. So what I have learned from this is to inspect he frame first then decided if I should buy parts. Or just not crash in the first place. Haha

I don't have full coverage insurance so I didn't care to report it. And no one else was involved so I decided not to call the cops. I know they would have given me a ticket and then my insurance company would raise my rates. No thanks!

As far as it being illegal to not report it....well if it happen on private land and no one else was involved then I wouldn't have to. At least that is what I was told when I had a crash in my car.

So lets say I crashed my bike on private land.

Ah, there's the point. That would have been called an 'off' where I'm from, going by the word 'crash' & the pic I figured it involved a cage or some other solid object not just a slide.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 04:46 PM   #17
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Ah, there's the point. That would have been called an 'off' where I'm from, going by the word 'crash' & the pic I figured it involved a cage or some other solid object not just a slide.
Ahh nope. Just a crash into the ground. Don't really know how the bike hit the ground once I came off it. It was at night and I went rolling off the side of the road.

Old March 1st, 2012, 06:18 PM   #18
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Sorry to hear about this. I concur with other posters: either 1)part it out or sell all as a parts bike and get another bike or 2) get another straight frame and put your good stuff on it. Hopefully you were not hurt too badly.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
Sorry to hear about this. I concur with other posters: either 1)part it out or sell all as a parts bike and get another bike or 2) get another straight frame and put your good stuff on it. Hopefully you were not hurt too badly.

Thanks! I just got a few bruises. Gear rocks!!! Which is another reason why I didn't think my frame was bent in the first place. I just though since I didn't break a bone in my body that the bike shouldn't have had a bent frame. I mean I ended up like 2 feet from the bike. I guess the Ninja 250 frame isn't all that strong.

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #20
Jono

Found a frame!

Okay so I found a frame with a clean title that is 4 hours away for $250 OBO. I think I can get it for less. Apparently the guy parted the bike because of a blown engine. So should I buy it? Or is this just a money pit. Should I just accept my loss and buy a new used bike this summer.

I am leaning towards accepting my loss.

Will probably try and straighten my frame myself. After-all, I got nothing to lose.

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #21
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

For half the time it would take to part your entire bike out you could replace the frame and learn more about your bike than you would any other way.

If I were you I would replace the frame. Simply because I would a lot of knowledge and save time and money replacing it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #22
Jono

Quote:
For half the time it would take to part your entire bike out you could replace the frame and learn more about your bike than you would any other way.

If I were you I would replace the frame. For I gain a lot of knowledge and save time and money replacing it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ahhh that is also what I was thinking. I have already learned so much about this bike that I would hate to get rid of it. That mindset is why I kinda want to buy the frame. I think it would be fun to swap my current bike into a new frame.

But then I realized I could get a fully functional ninja 250 for like $1,200 more and then I would have a parts bike for that bike. But buying just the frame will be cheapest in the long run...I think.

Decisions, Decisions...

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #23
GateKeeper
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja - Soon

Get the frame, and transfer all the parts from your bent bike to the new frame, and have fun doing it.

not a Ninja, but I am doing something similar, with my bike, and having a great time doing it

started with this

went to this, and here you can see the dent in the frame

fixed the dent

painted and reassembly has begun

if you need more inspiration, you can see the whole thread and build here

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=184389

you will enjoy doing it......
GateKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #24
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Depends what you want in the end. If you are okay not riding for a little (read: highly variant based on free time and tools), I believe the knowledge and experience you will gain from moving parts over (though really not all that difficult), is worth it. Plus, you will spend less money. Parts bikes are.. Well... Parts bikes. If we assume that apart from the frame your bike is in good shape, the parts bike is just that. Can't be used, and unless you run into major engine issues or another accident, won't be used.

For racers, parts bikes are a wise investment, as crashes and engine damage is much more common, so they save money and time by having the parts on hand. If it's a daily rider (or does driver still apply), chances are you won't be running into things quite so often.

If all you want is a functional bike, perhaps sells yours as is and buy another.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #25
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKeeper View Post
Get the frame, and transfer all the parts from your bent bike to the new frame, and have fun doing it.

not a Ninja, but I am doing something similar, with my bike, and having a great time doing it

started with this

went to this, and here you can see the dent in the frame

fixed the dent

painted and reassembly has begun

if you need more inspiration, you can see the whole thread and build here

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=184389

you will enjoy doing it......
Wow 70 page rebuild thread! I scanned through it and have been inspired! Thank you sir!!

I think I will buy the frame I found. If it is in great condition like the CL ad says it is. I will call the guy about it when I get back in town. I am currently on spring break in FL. So hopefully he still has it for sale when I call. If not I will keep looking for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Depends what you want in the end. If you are okay not riding for a little (read: highly variant based on free time and tools), I believe the knowledge and experience you will gain from moving parts over (though really not all that difficult), is worth it. Plus, you will spend less money. Parts bikes are.. Well... Parts bikes. If we assume that apart from the frame your bike is in good shape, the parts bike is just that. Can't be used, and unless you run into major engine issues or another accident, won't be used.

For racers, parts bikes are a wise investment, as crashes and engine damage is much more common, so they save money and time by having the parts on hand. If it's a daily rider (or does driver still apply), chances are you won't be running into things quite so often.

If all you want is a functional bike, perhaps sells yours as is and buy another.

I am okay if I can't ride for a bit. In fact I will have to wait til this summer to actually swap my parts into the new frame I get. I won't have much time right now with school and work. But I am definitely down for having a summer project.

I would have no need for a parts bike as it is my commuter vehicle. Thanks for the advice!

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #26
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Wow 70 page rebuild thread! I scanned through it and have been inspired! Thank you sir!!

I think I will buy the frame I found. If it is in great condition like the CL ad says it is. I will call the guy about it when I get back in town. I am currently on spring break in FL. So hopefully he still has it for sale when I call. If not I will keep looking for one.

I am okay if I can't ride for a bit. In fact I will have to wait til this summer to actually swap my parts into the new frame I get. I won't have much time right now with school and work. But I am definitely down for having a summer project.

I would have no need for a parts bike as it is my commuter vehicle. Thanks for the advice!
Goodluck with the rebuild!

I'm actually going to be essentially doing the same thing. Rebuilding my brothers bike to a new frame because of a bent one. Maybe I'll start a rebuild thread so you have an idea of exactly what you need to do!

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #27
GateKeeper
ninjette.org member

Quote:
No problem, hope it gives you the confidence, and it's only 18 pages, but I have it so I see 40 posts per page...lol

The best advise I can give you is take lots of pictures, get a digital camera, and take pictures, it will really help in the assembly, I have taken over 300 pictures for my rebuild, but it does help a month down the road when your putting things back and you ask yourself, now how did that go on, or where did this screw come from....

The other is bag and tag everything, I used the large ziplock freezer bags, and put parts in there and wrote on the bag what it was or where it came from, what don't fit in the bags, use cardboard box's and mark them as well, the more organized you will be at the start the easier it will be to put it all back together.

Have fun and enjoy.....

Old March 8th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #28
Jono

Quote:
Goodluck with the rebuild!

I'm actually going to be essentially doing the same thing. Rebuilding my brothers bike to a new frame because of a bent one. Maybe I'll start a rebuild thread so you have an idea of exactly what you need to do!
That would be awesome! You should definitely make a build thread!

Quote:
No problem, hope it gives you the confidence, and it's only 18 pages, but I have it so I see 40 posts per page...lol

The best advise I can give you is take lots of pictures, get a digital camera, and take pictures, it will really help in the assembly, I have taken over 300 pictures for my rebuild, but it does help a month down the road when your putting things back and you ask yourself, now how did that go on, or where did this screw come from....

The other is bag and tag everything, I used the large ziplock freezer bags, and put parts in there and wrote on the bag what it was or where it came from, what don't fit in the bags, use cardboard box's and mark them as well, the more organized you will be at the start the easier it will be to put it all back together.

Have fun and enjoy.....

That is a great idea. I am a pretty organized guy so hopefully I can keep track of everything. If I give myself a full week sometime in May I should hopefully be able to swap the "guts" into the new frame in that amount of time. That way I won't forget where everything goes. But I will definitely take tons of pictures just in case I forget something. And I know I will.

Thanks for the advice! I will keep this thread active with any updates to this project. Hopefully I can get that frame next weekend if it is in good condition and everything checks out.

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #29
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
That would be awesome! You should definitely make a build thread!
Next week or the week after if I get the time (probably will), i'll start it up

Old March 17th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #30
Jono

Got a Frame!!!

I picked it up today. Made the 4 hour drive to Kentucky to take a look at it. It has probably been sitting for over a year in barn. They parted most of it out and just had the frame collecting dust. I cleaned it off a little there and decided to buy it. It looked straight and he said he never crashed it so hopefully it is perfectly straight. It had forks on it when I bought it that were pretty pitted. They may be usable. I don't really care since I will use the forks that I already bought. May try to clean them up and sell em. It also came with the swingarm and the right side rearset. And both handle bars with no bends. And a really rusty chain. Oh and a clear title! All for $190 dollars. Best deal I could find. So all in all it was a good day.

I won't be able to start 'really' working on this project for about another 7 weeks. I would be too distracted with this when I need to focus on me college education. But soon as I finish my last exam I will start the swap. I want to do it all in a couple days so I remember where everything goes after I take it apart.

But in the mean time I will do little things. Like cleaning the frame, painting the: swingarm, rearsets, passenger rearsets black. And other things that pop into my head.

I am kinda intimidated by all the work that is going to be involved in this. But if I am successful, I will be super happy! Hopefully I can do it with no major speed bumps. And hopefully when I am done everything is straight and the bike runs beautifully.

Old March 17th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #31
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Quote:
I won't be able to start 'really' working on this project for about another 7 weeks. I would be too distracted with this when I need to focus on me college education. But soon as I finish my last exam I will start the swap. I want to do it all in a couple days so I remember where everything goes after I take it apart.

But in the mean time I will do little things. Like cleaning the frame, painting the: swingarm, rearsets, passenger rearsets black. And other things that pop into my head.

I am kinda intimidated by all the work that is going to be involved in this. But if I am successful, I will be super happy! Hopefully I can do it with no major speed bumps. And hopefully when I am done everything is straight and the bike runs beautifully.
Brilliant! Looks like you have your work cut out for you! I think it should go well. And of course you have us to aid if you get stumped!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #32
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Good luck Jono! I'll be following this

Old March 17th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #33
GateKeeper
ninjette.org member

Nice find on the frame, and the extra bits are a bonus, even if you can't use them look at selling them...

as for the frame, swing arm and all other pars, might I suggest if funds permit it, get them powder coated...

it will last longer, is stronger and more durable...painting is cheaper, but it can chip easily, can be touched up, unlike powder coating.

I would have done the powder coat on my frame and all other parts but it was cost prohibitive...just to do the frame I was quoted 500 bucks

anyways good luck on the build....

take lots of pictures, it will help on the rebuild, believe me.....

Old March 18th, 2012, 02:07 AM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
I picked it up today. Made the 4 hour drive to Kentucky to take a look at it. It has probably been sitting for over a year in barn. They parted most of it out and just had the frame collecting dust. I cleaned it off a little there and decided to buy it. It looked straight and he said he never crashed it so hopefully it is perfectly straight. It had forks on it when I bought it that were pretty pitted. They may be usable. I don't really care since I will use the forks that I already bought. May try to clean them up and sell em. It also came with the swingarm and the right side rearset. And both handle bars with no bends. And a really rusty chain. Oh and a clear title! All for $190 dollars. Best deal I could find. So all in all it was a good day.

Sounds like a really great deal... something even I would have jumped all over if I saw despite having no experience with such wrenching.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #35
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
Brilliant! Looks like you have your work cut out for you! I think it should go well. And of course you have us to aid if you get stumped!

That's why I love this site!!! It will be my go to for any advice.

Quote:
Nice find on the frame, and the extra bits are a bonus, even if you can't use them look at selling them...

as for the frame, swing arm and all other pars, might I suggest if funds permit it, get them powder coated...

it will last longer, is stronger and more durable...painting is cheaper, but it can chip easily, can be touched up, unlike powder coating.

I would have done the powder coat on my frame and all other parts but it was cost prohibitive...just to do the frame I was quoted 500 bucks

anyways good luck on the build....

take lots of pictures, it will help on the rebuild, believe me.....

Yeah I may clean up the spare parts and post em up on ebay. Or keep them for when/if I crash again.

I would get them powder coated but I don't think my funds will allow it. I know it would probably last longer than paint but I am not to worried about that. I think if I sand really well and use a decent paint it will not chip away. And if it does I will just touch it up when needed.

I will take tons of pics! Most for my own use and some for you ninjette.org users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Sounds like a really great deal... something even I would have jumped all over if I saw despite having no experience with such wrenching.
Thanks, that was my thinking. It was the only ninja 250 frame within like 500 miles on Search Tempest. So I just had to get it. Haha. I was worried I wouldn't be able to find another frame for a while.

He wanted $250 for it but I got him down to $190. But spent about $60 dollars round-trip, But still cheaper than a frame being shipped and I really wanted to inspect it in person. So I am happy with my purchase.

Old March 18th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #36
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
damn that's a great find Jono!! Now if I could just find the same kind of deal on a new-gen frame so I can do a complete suspension swap
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #37
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Sell it