ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 21st, 2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Zyconic17
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Track bike, Honda CRF250r Dirt bike

how to fix bent footpeg frame mount?

hi everyone. so today i crashed my bike at the track. it was a minor lowside at about 50mph but all the bike did was slide. after looking at the damage, i saw that where the rearsets mount to the frame is bent. i do not know how to fix this because i am afraid i will snap it off if i try to bend it back... and frames are expensive! so can anybody give me some advice on how to fix this?
Zyconic17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyconic17 View Post
hi everyone. so today i crashed my bike at the track. it was a minor lowside at about 50mph but all the bike did was slide. after looking at the damage, i saw that where the rearsets mount to the frame is bent. i do not know how to fix this because i am afraid i will snap it off if i try to bend it back... and frames are expensive! so can anybody give me some advice on how to fix this?
I've heard many people found that this was bent after even a small drop but they usually don't notice until installing rearset adjusters or something else that exaggerates it. I'd remove the bracket from the frame and then thread something in there that gives me leverage on the frame mount itself and then lever that until it's closer to where you believe it should be (I assume the protruding threaded bolt/rod should be perpendicular to the side of the bike).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Zyconic17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I've heard many people found that this was bent after even a small drop but they usually don't notice until installing rearset adjusters or something else that exaggerates it. I'd remove the bracket from the frame and then thread something in there that gives me leverage on the frame mount itself and then lever that until it's closer to where you believe it should be (I assume the protruding threaded bolt/rod should be perpendicular to the side of the bike).
do you think it will snap off?? i am just concerned that it may be brittle and weak right now.... i could use a torch to heat it up but i dont know if a torch would be the best plan.

Old May 21st, 2012, 08:07 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyconic17 View Post
do you think it will snap off?? i am just concerned that it may be brittle and weak right now.... i could use a torch to heat it up but i dont know if a torch would be the best plan.
The casted stay/bracket may if you use it for leverage, but I doubt the frame will. That's why I would take it off and thread something else in there.

Old May 21st, 2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Zyconic17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The casted stay/bracket may if you use it for leverage, but I doubt the frame will. That's why I would take it off and thread something else in there.
oh im not worried about the rearset because its toast! haha. i just want the frame tab back to normal so the new rearset will mount on straight. i guess i will just bend it back into place then.

Old May 31st, 2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Zyconic17
ninjette.org member

alright so i tried to bend the mount back...it didnt work... both of the bolts snapped off in the frame because it just twisted the bolts around. so i have to find a new way to approach this. and this really sucks because i have to fix this before my race on sunday.

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:26 PM   #7
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

So the frame is already bent? That's how I see it from your description, rearset mount is bent? Vertical part of the frame with those 2 plastic plugs in it?
A picture would help I suppose.

I do not think you can fix that so easily. The real issue is how to fix it without messing up the geometry of the entire frame after you dismantle the bike.

If this is what I think it is, no racing on sunday.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
David,

I have done it on my pre-gen using a 12" adjustable wrench in the way the schematic shows.

Very easy, no consequences for the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solution.JPG (53.5 KB, 41 views)
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2012, 06:22 PM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
David,

I have done it on my pre-gen using a 12" adjustable wrench in the way the schematic shows.

Very easy, no consequences for the frame.
You fixed the bent the passenger peg mount this way? I've done this on other fairing mounts (upper fairing stay). I find it easier to put a short bolt in and then tighten the adjustable wrench over the head and tip of the bolt before bending. It may be even easier with rearset adjusters because it will bend both at the same time to maintain alignment.

Last futzed with by CZroe; June 2nd, 2012 at 03:04 PM.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Yes, I have used that method to fix, not only the passenger's peg mount, but the rider's peg mount as well.

That one was bent rearward after my last fall.
Then I used the wrench horizontally and twisted the frame.

No heat has been necessary; the steel is low carbon and it doesn't crack due to deformation.

The bolt system may work, but I believe that it puts too much bending stress on the small diameter of the bolt.
If the bolt is a low degree, it may snap.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2012, 03:09 PM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Yes, I have used that method to fix, not only the passenger's peg mount, but the rider's peg mount as well.

That one was bent rearward after my last fall.
Then I used the wrench horizontally and twisted the frame.

No heat has been necessary; the steel is low carbon and it doesn't crack due to deformation.

The bolt system may work, but I believe that it puts too much bending stress on the small diameter of the bolt.
If the bolt is a low degree, it may snap.
I'm now talking about a bolt just long enough to reach through so all the force is distributed on the contacting threads without levering the length of the bolts. Also, doing it from two bolts simultaneously further spreads the force.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
I'm now talking about a bolt just long enough to reach through so all the force is distributed on the contacting threads without levering the length of the bolts. Also, doing it from two bolts simultaneously further spreads the force.
Hmmm, just what I was looking for, thanks guys!
Had a lowside @ the track that bent my left rearset footpeg a couple of inches forward. Most of it was deformation of the bolt that mounted the peg to the plate, but some of it was the two mounting points for the plate to the frame.

I wound up using 6 tie-downs in my truck bed to stablize the bike, and a come-along hand winch. Wrapped some cable around the footpeg on the mount I needed to straighten (for leverage, the peg was slag anyway), ran the it across the frame (between the rear shock & rear tire) to the come-along on other side and tied in the opposite end of the come-along to a tree. Tighten, check. Tighten, check. Repeat. Worked like a champ.
Wish I'd taken pics, so I could show but I was so focused on not destroying things that I completely forgot until I was putting everything away.

Now to fix the rear footpeg flange a bit more simply

Old June 3rd, 2012, 10:28 AM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Hmmm, just what I was looking for, thanks guys!
Had a lowside @ the track that bent my left rearset footpeg a couple of inches forward. Most of it was deformation of the bolt that mounted the peg to the plate, but some of it was the two mounting points for the plate to the frame.

I wound up using 6 tie-downs in my truck bed to stablize the bike, and a come-along hand winch. Wrapped some cable around the footpeg on the mount I needed to straighten (for leverage, the peg was slag anyway), ran the it across the frame (between the rear shock & rear tire) to the come-along on other side and tied in the opposite end of the come-along to a tree. Tighten, check. Tighten, check. Repeat. Worked like a champ.
Wish I'd taken pics, so I could show but I was so focused on not destroying things that I completely forgot until I was putting everything away.

Now to fix the rear footpeg flange a bit more simply
NoooooOOO! CP Blue is too pretty for a low-side. Well, glad you fixed the mount.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:23 PM   #14
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
NoooooOOO! CP Blue is too pretty for a low-side. Well, glad you fixed the mount.
Just finished fixin' the rear peg mount. Wasn't as easy as I'd thought it'd be because the mount wanted to bend at the top of where the nut's welded to the frame on the back/inside of the flange, not right @ the weld where the flange is attached to the frame tube where it bent originally. But after some greasy elbows and a lil rust-stop paint, all better.

Yeah... I was really bent outta shape that I downed her, and moreso that my frame sliders & rearsets turned it into a tumble & made things much worse. The insurance guy was like "oh, these bikes are cheap, you wanna get a new one, maybe a 600, right?" My initial reaction was "@#$% you man, this is the perfect color and they don't make it anymore. I love THIS bike, not some replacement." What I said was more like "thanks, but I'd rather repair it if possible" Just finally finished repairs this last week, and she's lookin HOT again

Old June 5th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #15
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I had the same issue. What I did was put the stock rearsets on and slowly apply pressure on the heel guard until they started moving. You don't have to be real super delicate, but don't do anything crazy like use a hammer or anything...
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #16
htdub
ninjette.org member

Name: Hien

Motorcycle(s): triumph

Did the same to my bike, had a good slide at the track, 25mph, pushed the brake rearset mount area in. I"ll take some photos. I had to bend it back at the track by screwing in some bolts and slowly pulling it forward, enough so the rear brake would clear the frame.

Pretty much everyone at the track had the same problem, rearsets that were all tweaked in from crashes.

Someone suggested making a small backing plate, use longer bolts for the rearsets to give some more meat to bolt into, distribute the force on a crash.

Last futzed with by htdub; July 26th, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
htdub is offline   Reply With Quote