Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
3 of my friends have these and swear by them

they scare the **** out of me and i would never use one though... what if you pass out or for some reason fall off or have some other kind of conciousness issue... instead of naturally rolling off the throttle and the bike slowing itself down until it falls over, it keeps going the same speed until you slam into that semi truck

Old November 26th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #3
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Well that thing is not a permanent cruise control device...

My friend has it on his BMW f 650gs and the throttle roll off by itself, not as fast a letting it go. It's more of an help for relaxing the right hand while riding a long time on a straight road...

I want one, but too lazy to ride to the store...

Maybe next year...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #4
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

I have an o-ring on my bar end for cruise. I rarely use it though unless on the interstate for a while and need a rest.

Old November 27th, 2012, 02:06 AM   #5
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

I use this one works very well, I only use it when traffic density is low and then just to give the right hand a rest. They work best with big motors as they don't change speed when you are on small hills. Even the 650 changed speed quite a lot on the highway with small gradients.

Steve

http://www.casporttouring.com/thestore/prods/16022.html

Old November 27th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
they scare the **** out of me and i would never use one though... what if you pass out or for some reason fall off or have some other kind of conciousness issue... instead of naturally rolling off the throttle and the bike slowing itself down until it falls over, it keeps going the same speed until you slam into that semi truck
Same here.

Pre-1960, many bikes had a throttle grip that was not returning by itself.

There is a very important safety mechanism made mandatory by many governments after that time: the self-closing throttle.

"Twist-grip throttle (Right handlebar): Must be self-closing to idle in a clockwise direction after release of hand."

You are going back 50 years, guys!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

This or nothing for me.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
yeah i'd be down for one of those. i know a few people who use those and they seem like a much better idea than a real throttle lock.

Old November 27th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #9
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post

This or nothing for me.
I put one of those on my bike before I drove it off the showroom floor. I love it.

That being said, I want a throttle lock too, I hate not being able to take my right hand off the throttle, when it is really cold I can take my left hand off the handlebar and close it, grip it behind the windscreen, and warm it back up a little, the right hand doesn't get that luxury.

That cramp buster is great though, it makes it easier to not grip the throttle too hard, in fact, I really don't grip either bar, just have my hands on them, and throttle with my palm.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 02:22 PM   #10
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Does cruise control scare you in cars too? A lot of Touring bikes come with actual cruise control.

My thought is, how often do you pass out on your bike?

Old November 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
Does cruise control scare you in cars too?
yes. anything that encourages someone who is in control of a massive hunk of steel to not focus on what they are doing scares the **** out of me.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #12
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
yes. anything that encourages someone who is in control of a massive hunk of steel to not focus on what they are doing scares the **** out of me.
I love it because it lets me focus on driving instead of worrying about the possibility of accidentally going 5 over and getting a ticket for it.

But then, I drive around 300 miles a day right now, plus the 150 on the bike.

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
does your car have radar adaptive cruise control?

sorry if this sounds mean or asshole'ish, but if trying to maintain a speed is too much for you to do while focusing on driving you should not be driving. period.

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #14
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R, 2008 Ninja 250R (sold)

I have one of these throttle lock devices on my bike. I actually find it to be more annoying than it is convenient... Holding the throttle at a certain position would probably be useful ONLY on a perfectly flat, straight road with constant weather conditions and no traffic.

Otherwise I find that no sooner have I activated the throttle lock on the highway, that I need to turn it off again because I'm approaching a car, the speed didn't set quite where I wanted it, or a hill / curve came up that required me to adjust the throttle.

AND ESPECIALLY: no matter where I lock the throttle, the bike seems to slowly either accelerate or decelerate over time. Can't get a nice balance of constant speed.

I'd REALLY prefer something like in a car, that maintains a constant MPH, rather than throttle position.
Fappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:16 PM   #15
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:
I have to agree with Alex on this one. The only time I ever use cruise control in the car is if my feet get tired (long drives) so I just use the cruise control as a hand throttle, not actually as a "set it and forget it" button.

Besides, everyone knows the story of the guy that set the cruise in his RV and then went to the kitchen to get himself a sandwich. Because apparently cruise control is now autopilot... if one person did it, others have and will as well.

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
does your car have radar adaptive cruise control?

sorry if this sounds mean or asshole'ish, but if trying to maintain a speed is too much for you to do while focusing on driving you should not be driving. period.
I find cruise control quite helpful on longer trips. It does help even the most precise driver to maintain speed perfectly, allowing whatever mental energy is used while driving, to simply focus on other aspects of that same driving task. On the BMW, it makes riding 1000 miles a day seem like 600-700 on a bike without cruise control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
Besides, everyone knows the story of the guy that set the cruise in his RV and then went to the kitchen to get himself a sandwich. Because apparently cruise control is now autopilot... if one person did it, others have and will as well.
Everyone should know that the story was made up from the beginning. (Snopes)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #17
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I find cruise control quite helpful on longer trips. It does help even the most precise driver to maintain speed perfectly, allowing whatever mental energy is used while driving, to simply focus on other aspects of that same driving task. On the BMW, it makes riding 1000 miles a day seem like 600-700 on a bike without cruise control.

Everyone should know that the story was made up from the beginning. (Snopes)
Even so, you know some idiot somewhere probably has done that, or at least thought about it.

Idk cruise control scares me, it always has. It used to scare me on my lawnmower. You don't realize how much "involuntary throttle control" goes on until you're your hurling around a tree on a lawnmower on 2 wheels hanging of the other side so it doesn't flip... and yes that really has happened. I used to have an old 60's 20 HP Cub Cadet that didn't really have any sort of limit on speed. Plus I didn't have the mow deck on it because it was used to haul, so it was incredibly light.

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
don't get me wrong. if you are pulling a 600 mile trip through the grape vine, by all means.

...but, commuting with traffic?

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
Even so, you know some idiot somewhere probably has done that, or at least thought about it.
I disagree. I find it's much more likely that people like spreading silly urban legends that make someone (older/younger/darker/lighter/more educated/less educated/local/non-local) than themselves seem stupid. Especially if it relates to something that the fictional individual owns that they themselves don't.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
don't get me wrong. if you are pulling a 600 mile trip through the grape vine, by all means.

...but, commuting with traffic?
It's just a tool. It sets speed. If someone is using it to turn their brain off and ends up running into cars/trucks/nuns in their path, I'm not convinced that same driver would be any better without access to that same tool.

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #21
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I disagree. I find it's much more likely that people like spreading silly urban legends that make someone (older/younger/darker/lighter/more educated/less educated/local/non-local) than themselves seem stupid. Especially if it relates to something that the fictional individual owns that they themselves don't.
Also a good point, but isn't that human nature really? Or at least 1st world human nature.

If you have something that I don't :

Your face : it sucks

In my head : It's the best thing ever, I need it

To everyone else : explain why the product is horrible and why they shouldn't buy it, and how much of an idiot you are for falling for that company's scam.

Honestly, I feel like at least 50% of people that "hate" mac, are actually like that. The same with Bose, or blu ray, or any other new fangled gadget they can't afford.

(Not saying I agree with this, just making a point.)

Old November 27th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #22
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
yeah. fair enough. i guess what i mean is, there are plenty of drivers who run into people by themselves... it seems to me that those people generally do a lot worse when you give them tools like cruise control (then they start paying attention to other things instead of using that extra attention to focus on the road)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 27th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #23
beazy411
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappy View Post
I'd REALLY prefer something like in a car, that maintains a constant MPH, rather than throttle position.
As long as your car/truck is new enough to not have a vacuum line cruise control, which held throttle at a set position, cruise keeps the speed w/in a set range unless you have a stick and you have to go up a nasty hill.

Old November 27th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #24
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
No reason that any bike that already has an electronic throttle set up shouldn't have this feature onboard already. It's criminal that Ducati has thousands of dollars of electronics on the Multistrada, yet leaves this feature out. BMW has the same electronics across its line, yet it left the feature out on its GS models up until this year, probably because it provides the wrong "image" for a rugged bike like that. Even though the entire powertrain and electronics setup was identical to their other bikes that do include the cruise feature. For 2013, they are finally offering it on the GS, as Triumph put it on their new Explorer adventure bike as a differentiating feature.

Old November 27th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #25
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
AND ESPECIALLY: no matter where I lock the throttle, the bike seems to slowly either accelerate or decelerate over time. Can't get a nice balance of constant speed.

Exactly !

The thread's tittle does not describe what the OP's video shows.

Cruise control automatically modulates the volume of air-fuel aspired by the engine, regardless the torque demand.
Actually, the automatic transmission shifts accordingly.
It is a whole system able to make decisions that also keep a high level of safety.

The shown device locks the volume of air-fuel aspired by the engine; hence, the motorcycle will modulate the speed according to the torque demand.
If, after a low-side, the leg of the biker is trapped under a bike "upgraded" with this device, certain amount of HP's may end up rubbing against his skin at least for a few seconds until the engine stalls (unless the bike has a safety tip switch).

"Cruise control (sometimes known as speed control or autocruise) is a system that automatically controls the speed of a motor vehicle. The system takes over the throttle of the car to maintain a steady speed as set by the driver.
All cruise control systems must be capable of being turned off both explicitly and automatically when the driver depresses the brake, and often also the clutch. Cruise control often includes a memory feature to resume the set speed after braking, and a coast feature to reduce the set speed without braking."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruise_control

Ships, airplanes and locomotives all have throttles that stay in one position without automatic return to idle; ........ but motorcycles..........

Old November 28th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #26
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
yeah. fair enough. i guess what i mean is, there are plenty of drivers who run into people by themselves... it seems to me that those people generally do a lot worse when you give them tools like cruise control (then they start paying attention to other things instead of using that extra attention to focus on the road)
Unfortunately, those are the same geniuses who always seem to want to text, talk on the phone, shave, and change their cd, at the same time, while driving.

Old November 28th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #27
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I'll be one of those in favor of cruise control.

Out here, long, flat, and straight are the rule. Going 70-80 on I-80 or Hwy 50 for hours on end is exhausting on my hand. I would love to be able to dropp my right hand for awhile just to give my hand, wrist, arm, back, neck a break.

In the car, cruise control is awesome. I use is every time I get out of town to be able to pay attention to the road cause of idiots around here. Remote does not mean lawless! It irritates me how inconsistent drivers are with their speed. I'll set it to the limit and either have a moron hopscotch around me cause they can't make up their mind if they want to speed or play it safe, or I end up breathing down the neck of driver who thinks that the limit is the maximum and prefers 20 under.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #28
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beazy411 View Post
As long as your car/truck is new enough to not have a vacuum line cruise control, which held throttle at a set position, cruise keeps the speed w/in a set range unless you have a stick and you have to go up a nasty hill.
Right. Computer-controlled systems are what I'm talking about. And unfortunately my car is stick (Auto-shifting please!)

Quote:
No reason that any bike that already has an electronic throttle set up shouldn't have this feature onboard already. It's criminal that Ducati has thousands of dollars of electronics on the Multistrada, yet leaves this feature out. BMW has the same electronics across its line, yet it left the feature out on its GS models up until this year, probably because it provides the wrong "image" for a rugged bike like that. Even though the entire powertrain and electronics setup was identical to their other bikes that do include the cruise feature. For 2013, they are finally offering it on the GS, as Triumph put it on their new Explorer adventure bike as a differentiating feature.
I think you're right. I was wondering if there was some safety consideration that was preventing manufacturers from putting it on bikes, but I suspect it's simply a cost, or an "image" issue.
Good to know that some bikes are finally coming with it standard... I looked up some pre-made kits... this website sells kits for specific bikes for around $1000

http://www.mccruise.com/collections/kawasaki

I suspect it wouldn't be rocket science to make your own, if you were electronically inclined enough to create a chip and a servo to hold the throttle, and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

Ships, airplanes and locomotives all have throttles that stay in one position without automatic return to idle; ........ but motorcycles..........
It's about time already! Give us electronic cruise!

Old November 29th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #29
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My Japanese car isn't even a year old. 5-speed manual with no cruise control. Didn't want it.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #30
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Put me in the 'please' camp -- this is the product I REALLY want, but I called and they said that with sports style bikes there were clearance issues with the tank -- brakeawayproducts.com -- if anyone wants to experiment though I'm all ears
When I'm gong between Vegas and LA though I have to pull onto the side of I15 once or twice JUST to rest my hand -- it's not a matter of paying attention, just having this to hold it in place for 30-60 seconds so I can flex my fingers/palm back and forth a few times, maybe stretch my arm if it's super clear traffic.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #31
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Put me in the 'please' camp -- this is the product I REALLY want, but I called and they said that with sports style bikes there were clearance issues with the tank -- brakeawayproducts.com -- if anyone wants to experiment though I'm all ears
Clearance issues with the tank? I have almost the exact same style of throttle lock on my bike, and don't have that issue at all. They are probably referring to the fact that when you turn the handlebars ALL THE WAY to the right, the throttle lock might touch the gas tank. (which you only do while you're parking-lot maneuvering anyway...). Not really an issue in the slightest.

For the record, there's lots of similar brands out there, unless it has to be brakeawayproducts.com -- you should check out:

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/...e_control.html

http://throttlemeister.com/

And just search google for "motorcycle universal throttle lock"

Old November 29th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #32
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Thanks for the suggestions Fappy; the reason I love the brake away is the auto-disengage on using the front brake -- those don't look to have that feature but I'll definitely keep them in mind if I pull the trigger (my bike budget is totally blown ATM, so it will be a bit -- especially with my surgery next week)
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #33
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

I never used it in any car and never used it on a bike.. for me, it about being alert and in tune with what going on...
just like i dont use a radio when i drive, just to hear my motor (except in the wifes econo car, its new)

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #34
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Thanks for the suggestions Fappy; the reason I love the brake away is the auto-disengage on using the front brake -- those don't look to have that feature but I'll definitely keep them in mind if I pull the trigger (my bike budget is totally blown ATM, so it will be a bit -- especially with my surgery next week)
Gotcha! Well looking at the design of their throttle lock ($200! ), I see no reason why there would be "clearance issues with the gas tank." It might touch the tank slightly on full lock-to lock, but how is that a problem?

I think when you're back to looking at it, it's worth looking at it a little more. If worse comes to worst, you can try installing it and if it doesn't fit (recommend trying their Kawi Versys model), you can return it and get a refund. Just my thoughts!

Old November 29th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #35
thumper64
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

They could make a throttle lock that could use a solenoid to lightly hold the pulley on the carbs where it is, and some sort of basic chip could probably allow you to activate it, and have a cancel feature that could tap into the brake switch or just have a little momentary on switch that could clip to the brake cable or something.

Old November 29th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #36
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Goldwings have cruise control.
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #37
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

If, after a low-side, the leg of the biker is trapped under a bike "upgraded" with this device, certain amount of HP's may end up rubbing against his skin at least for a few seconds until the engine stalls (unless the bike has a safety tip switch).
This, and what Alex.s is saying, has got me thinking. Last time I was on a jet ski, it had a little "key" thing that you put in, and it attached to a lanyard that attached to a piece of velcro that went around your wrist. You fall off, it pulls the key out, and the jetski stop instead of running away from you.

Wonder how well this would adapt on a motorcycle, maybe some sort of pin next to the kill switch, that when pulled, would do the same as hitting the kill switch. I wonder if something like that is already on the market, or how well it would sell if someone brought something like that to the market.

Old November 30th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #38
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
............Wonder how well this would adapt on a motorcycle, maybe some sort of pin next to the kill switch, that when pulled, would do the same as hitting the kill switch............
Good idea, at least for stunters:

Link to original page on YouTube.

P.S. - This video demonstrates that motorcycles can handle better without some type of riders

Old November 30th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #39
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 1986 Goldwing, 1996 CR500, 2011 Ninja 250, 2009 Harley Heritage Softail, 1941 Suzuki Gerbil 250

Quote:

Make that 4 friends Easy to disengage, just roll off the throttle. I use it maybe 1% of the time, so the risk is low, but when I do It's a wonderful relief on my hand.