ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 15th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

Tire facing the wrong way

Ever since I have joined this forum, I've learned so much. I have f**ked up but I have learnt a lot loads from those mistakes as well and now that I am interacting with the community in person as well[Local Monday Motorcycle Night, meet n' Greet] I am learning faster than I though I could.
Last monday[the day before yesterday], when I was talking to one of the guys there, he pointed out that my rear tire, which I have had for about 800kms is facing the wrong way. He showed me the arrow that is supposed to point the direction of the rotation of the tire is pointing in the anti-clockwise direction than the clockwise direction.

My question is, will it really effect my riding experience that much if I am not track racing? Should I just get the wheel flipped in another local mechanic or did the previous one screw up in mounting the tire itself onto the rim?

Old July 15th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
On the street in the dry? Naw... not gunna really notice. Now in the wet....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2014, 09:22 PM   #3
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
On the street in the dry? Naw... not gunna really notice. Now in the wet....
I do drive to and from work even if rains sometimes, though I drive carefully.

Old July 15th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #4
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
not really a big deal, like Chris said.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #5
Xtina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Christina

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2007 Gsxr 600, R6-sold :(

Did you put the tire on or a shop? if a shop did it take it back and get them to flip it. You will notice a difference in downpours. the sipes have nothing to do with fast aggressive riding or track as you suggested but are there for rain.
Xtina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2014, 01:38 PM   #6
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I'd go back or buy the tools and change them myself from now on.

Old July 16th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
....My question is, will it really effect my riding experience that much if I am not track racing?
It may not affect your riding all that much, but the tire may be affected albeit a rare occurrence.

The less apparent reason for directional arrows is the tread splice.

What is a tread splice? When a tire is manufactured the tread portion of the tire starts out as a long flat strip. This strip is wrapped around the tire and the two ends are cut on an angle so one end overlaps the other rather than having square cut ends. On street tires, the beveled tread splice will typically remain invisible (closed) throughout the life of the tire.

This overlapping point or splice offers a bigger surface area to bond together, rather than the small surface area provided by square cut ends. (Imagine gluing your fingertips together, as opposed to gluing along the entire length of your fingers laid on top of each other. Like an angled splice, the overlapping fingers result in a much stronger bond).

To further ensure the strength of this bond along the tread splice the directional arrow will show you which way to mount the tire so that when the rider is “on the gas”; the acceleration force on the rear tire is pressing the splice together, rather than peeling it back.

As for braking, 80 % of the braking should take place in the front on most bikes. Therefore, the front tread splice is run in the opposite direction than that of the rear, so when the rider is on the brakes, he’s not peeling the tread splice back.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #8
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Back in 1996 I rented a BMW F650 in Sydney and rode it about 6000 miles over a month. When I picked up the bike, the rental agency warned me that the back tire was about half worn-out and that at some point on the trip I might want to replace it. If so, just keep the receipt and they would reimburse me. Sounds good to me!

After about 4000 miles I thought the back tire was getting down to the wear bars, so I stopped for a day somewheres and asked the local motorcycle shop to swap out the tire.

I picked the bike up, and the mechanic says to me, "Hey, did you know that tire was on backwards??"

Old July 16th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #9
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtina View Post
Did you put the tire on or a shop? if a shop did it take it back and get them to flip it. You will notice a difference in downpours. the sipes have nothing to do with fast aggressive riding or track as you suggested but are there for rain.
I got it done about 2 months ago but didn't notice it. I don't know if he will take responsibility for it and flip for free. I'll look into it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
I'd go back or buy the tools and change them myself from now on.
I got the tools but since I am new to this, so I am bit hesitant. Well that and my last maintenance fiasco asn't even a week ago so.......xD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
It may not affect your riding all that much, but the tire may be affected albeit a rare occurrence.

The less apparent reason for directional arrows is the tread splice.

What is a tread splice? When a tire is manufactured the tread portion of the tire starts out as a long flat strip. This strip is wrapped around the tire and the two ends are cut on an angle so one end overlaps the other rather than having square cut ends. On street tires, the beveled tread splice will typically remain invisible (closed) throughout the life of the tire.

This overlapping point or splice offers a bigger surface area to bond together, rather than the small surface area provided by square cut ends. (Imagine gluing your fingertips together, as opposed to gluing along the entire length of your fingers laid on top of each other. Like an angled splice, the overlapping fingers result in a much stronger bond).

To further ensure the strength of this bond along the tread splice the directional arrow will show you which way to mount the tire so that when the rider is “on the gas”; the acceleration force on the rear tire is pressing the splice together, rather than peeling it back.

As for braking, 80 % of the braking should take place in the front on most bikes. Therefore, the front tread splice is run in the opposite direction than that of the rear, so when the rider is on the brakes, he’s not peeling the tread splice back.
Interesting.
So if I do do it, it'd be more to prolong the life of the tire than for the effect it'll have on riding with it this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
Back in 1996 I rented a BMW F650 in Sydney and rode it about 6000 miles over a month. When I picked up the bike, the rental agency warned me that the back tire was about half worn-out and that at some point on the trip I might want to replace it. If so, just keep the receipt and they would reimburse me. Sounds good to me!

After about 4000 miles I thought the back tire was getting down to the wear bars, so I stopped for a day somewheres and asked the local motorcycle shop to swap out the tire.

I picked the bike up, and the mechanic says to me, "Hey, did you know that tire was on backwards??"

Seriously?

Old July 17th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
....Interesting.
So if I do do it, it'd be more to prolong the life of the tire than for the effect it'll have on riding with it this way.
Depending on the tread design, it may also help in how effectively water is dispersed.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 06:30 AM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Fixing that is easy. Just turn the wheel around.

Oh, wait....... what?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2014, 10:21 AM   #12
Baron
Urban Legend

So I got it fixed yesterday.
Went to the mechanic, good bloke, acknowledged his mistake and fixed it right then and there.
However on an unrelated note, I did notice something different when I was riding back. I noticed a grating like feeling from underneath Circe when I down shifted and was coming to a complete stop. I'll have to look closer to see what the exact problem is ....oh well, one problem at a time.

Old July 21st, 2014, 08:48 AM   #13
Foxrider64
Hello Moto

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1975 RD350; 2001 KX125; 2003 Z1000; 2003 KDX50; 2009 ZX6R; 2011 Ninja 250R; 2014 KX250F

I flip tires all the time- as mentioned- only noticeable in the rain- and even then it's not detrimental.

Glad you got it fixed and that the mechanic owned up to it.

The grating feeling- where did you feel it from? was it pulsing? under braking?
Foxrider64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2014, 08:51 AM   #14
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrider64 View Post
I flip tires all the time- as mentioned- only noticeable in the rain- and even then it's not detrimental.

Glad you got it fixed and that the mechanic owned up to it.

The grating feeling- where did you feel it from? was it pulsing? under braking?
It's there when I downshift and coming to a stop.
I did put it up on the rear stand the other day to see where the problem was coming from. I wasn't able to discover exactly but it seemed to be coming from the chain maybe. Ill have to double check it in a day or two.

Old July 21st, 2014, 08:56 AM   #15
Foxrider64
Hello Moto

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1975 RD350; 2001 KX125; 2003 Z1000; 2003 KDX50; 2009 ZX6R; 2011 Ninja 250R; 2014 KX250F

Quote:
It's there when I downshift and coming to a stop.
I did put it up on the rear stand the other day to see where the problem was coming from. I wasn't able to discover exactly but it seemed to be coming from the chain maybe. Ill have to double check it in a day or two.
At the shop- did the mechanic adjust your chain at all?

Maybe the wheel was put on crooked or with the chain too tight.
Foxrider64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2014, 09:04 AM   #16
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxrider64 View Post
At the shop- did the mechanic adjust your chain at all?

Maybe the wheel was put on crooked or with the chain too tight.
Well, he had to take off the tire to get it flipped and he did check the chain when he was putting it back on for slack.
The slack seems okay though.