ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old July 16th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Yet ANOTHER Givi saddlebag w/quicklock setup

Piggybacking off the pioneer known as slolane and getting input re: quicklocks from setasai I have finally decided to post pics of my rendition of a DIY hard saddle bag setup.

I used 3/4" steel tubing as well as 1/8" flat steel bar all welded together and then bolted to the passenger foot peg mounts using the stock foot peg pins and c-clips. Unfortunately for me, unlike setasai I couldn't utilize the bolts under the rear fender that bolt right to the frame as a means of support due to my hotbodies undertail. That's why I went the route of the passenger foot pegs.

A big thanks to slolane for getting me to think about a project like this and to setasai for pointing out that there was a quicklock kit available for these bags. I couldn't imagine how much time I would have spent trying to fab up a good locking mechanism for these sidebags. lol.

PLEASE ignore the dirty undertail. I have been field testing these for a few days now and just earlier today there was a truck trying to wash mud off of the road outside a construction site. Of course...that road was the road I HAD to take to get to where I needed to be. Turns out, scott's ebay hugger does nothing for the rooster-tail of spray caused by going through water. Hopefully, it keeps stones & gravel off my undertail at least...

Last futzed with by Jerkson; August 18th, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Jerkson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

See now that looks wonderful. Now we have 3 variations on installing sidecases. Very cool. I would imagine that out of all of us, my bracket system should be the weakest purely because there is only one mount location.

Evolution of the luggage mounts. Very amazing.

What kind of exhaust is that? It looks like the mount is so much higher up because there is spacing around the exhaust. Also, could you post up some side pics so I can see how far back you mounted yours?
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
See now that looks wonderful. Now we have 3 variations on installing sidecases. Very cool. I would imagine that out of all of us, my bracket system should be the weakest purely because there is only one mount location.

Evolution of the luggage mounts. Very amazing.

What kind of exhaust is that? It looks like the mount is so much higher up because there is spacing around the exhaust. Also, could you post up some side pics so I can see how far back you mounted yours?
Thanks man!

You used the bolts under the rear fender though, which should be a pretty solid spot. The test I did was tried to shake the entire bike by grabbing the luggage bracket and giving it hell!

The exhaust is a short AreaP quiet core. It is much shorter than stock and thus makes the cases look higher
Mine was wobbly side-to-side when it was simply bolted to the passenger seat. Those peg-mount points were a lifesaver. More pics on the way 1 sec.

Last futzed with by Jerkson; August 18th, 2011 at 11:47 AM.

Old July 16th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #4
setasai

Oh ok. I see how that worked out. Looks fantastic.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a 435mile stretch to SoCal through Highway 1 so I'll report back on how sturdy they are if they make it through my trip.

Have you noticed any handling differences? I actually feel a little more stable with the sidecases on.

Old July 16th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #5
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Oh ok. I see how that worked out. Looks fantastic.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a 435mile stretch to SoCal through Highway 1 so I'll report back on how sturdy they are if they make it through my trip.

Have you noticed any handling differences? I actually feel a little more stable with the sidecases on.
Im leaving for a trek too tomorrow (800km ~ 478mi) with the cases all full as a trial run. I will report back here as well. For the first while after I had them on (empty) I kept reaching back to make sure they were still secure

The only difference I have noticed is when there is a cross-wind; the force applied to me and the bike perpendicular to the direction of travel is greatly increased. However, when they are full with 40lbs of books spread amongst the 3 cases, I feel very planted and stable especially at highway speeds when there is no major cross-wind

Old July 16th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #6
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Awsome
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #7
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Great job Jerkson!!! Turned out really well

I'm looking forward to your ride reports.

I have done day long trips so far and the bags are great!
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #8
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
Great job Jerkson!!! Turned out really well

I'm looking forward to your ride reports.

I have done day long trips so far and the bags are great!
Thanks for the compliment

I think having the ability tohaul items around with me is going to make using the bike more often, as opposed to using the car, a very real possibility.

I also like that I can remove the entire assembly without tools and in about 3 min

I will post back tomorrow night for sure with a report of how the long day trip went. Slolane, if you hadn't done such a good job on yours I wouldn't have even attempted it.

Old July 16th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #9
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkson View Post
Thanks for the compliment

I think having the ability tohaul items around with me is going to make using the bike more often, as opposed to using the car, a very real possibility.

I also like that I can remove the entire assembly without tools and in about 3 min

I will post back tomorrow night for sure with a report of how the long day trip went. Slolane, if you hadn't done such a good job on yours I wouldn't have even attempted it.
Exactly, I use my bike A LOT more now.

Being able to remove them quickly is pretty neat too.

Looking forward to your report. Thanks man, I'm glad I could help out and glad all of our sidecase projects have turned out really well.

Old July 16th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #10
setasai

Hey quick question. The E21's are rated at 5kg max load. How heavy have you tried filling them? 11lbs per case is nothing. Even just clothes you can easily go over. Looks like for my trip they will be weighed at approximately 14lbs each. Doubt I'll have a problem but it just seems that the rated max is super low for these things.

Hey i also want to mention that remember that as far as ninja 250's go. We have a unique setup. There arent many who have added hardcases to the newgen ninja 250's. Atleast not many that I have seen or know about. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside doesnt it?

Old July 16th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #11
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Looks great!

Where'd you get that top case? I see a Givi logo on it, but it sure looks like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...Q5fAccessories

Also, about how much did you spend on all of this?
NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #12
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hey quick question. The E21's are rated at 5kg max load. How heavy have you tried filling them? 11lbs per case is nothing. Even just clothes you can easily go over. Looks like for my trip they will be weighed at approximately 14lbs each. Doubt I'll have a problem but it just seems that the rated max is super low for these things.

Hey i also want to mention that remember that as far as ninja 250's go. We have a unique setup. There arent many who have added hardcases to the newgen ninja 250's. Atleast not many that I have seen or know about. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside doesnt it?
Yes...yes it does

They are rated rather low but theres only the two lower nubs supporting all that weight...save for a little weight carried by the top latch depending on how you position it. That said, I have 10lbs in each side right now with no issues. Just got back from another ride too and I totally forgot I had the weight in the back....didn't really notice it at all zipping around town.
EDIT: I have thought about the weight becoming an issue down the road. If it does I will weld a large flat plate for the bottom of the cases to rest on like a shelf. IF it becomes an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanF View Post
Looks great!

Where'd you get that top case? I see a Givi logo on it, but it sure looks like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...Q5fAccessories

My top case is not givi (wayyy to much $$ for those)...its EXACTLY the one you linked to.

All in all the breakdown of cost was:

TOPCASE ~ $40 shipped
Sidecases ~$185 shipped
Monokey latch system and little bits - $26
24' (only used 3' of it) 3/4" square steel tubing $18
3'x1" flat steel plate - $10
Paint - $10

TOTAL $289

Old July 16th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #13
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yes...yes it does

They are rated rather low but theres only the two lower nubs supporting all that weight...save for a little weight carried by the top latch depending on how you position it. That said, I have 10lbs in each side right now with no issues. Just got back from another ride too and I totally forgot I had the weight in the back....didn't really notice it at all zipping around town.
EDIT: I have thought about the weight becoming an issue down the road. If it does I will weld a large flat plate for the bottom of the cases to rest on like a shelf. IF it becomes an issue.

My top case is not givi (wayyy to much $$ for those)...its EXACTLY the one you linked to.

All in all the breakdown of cost was:

TOPCASE ~ $40 shipped
Sidecases ~$185 shipped
Monokey latch system and little bits - $26
24' (only used 3' of it) 3/4" square steel tubing $18
3'x1" flat steel plate - $10
Paint - $10

TOTAL $289
Thanks for breaking that down! That is pretty darn reasonable.

Now one more question - how the heck do you get on the bike?

I'm 5 10", and I just went out to the garage and played around - there was no even remotely graceful way of getting on, short of stepping up onto the left peg and swinging over. I suspect that's not good for the kick stand though, having the dynamic forces and weight of an entire man plus the bike's weight all on one little bracket.

Unless you're quite tall, that just leaves karate kicking and hoping to god with all your mobility-limiting gear on that you don't catch the bike and push it over, or slowly lifting your leg over like a feeble old man. The prospect of dealing with that every time I get on and off my bike is not real appealing.

I may have to just go with the saddlebags, but I know the utility of the top trunk would be tremendous.

Old July 16th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #14
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks for breaking that down! That is pretty darn reasonable.

I'm 5 10", and I just went out to the garage and played around - there was no even remotely graceful way of getting on, short of stepping up onto the left peg and swinging over. I suspect that's not good for the kick stand though, having the dynamic forces and weight of an entire man plus the bike's weight all on one little bracket.

Unless you're quite tall, that just leaves karate kicking and hoping to god with all your mobility-limiting gear on that you don't catch the bike and push it over, or slowly lifting your leg over like a feeble old man. The prospect of dealing with that every time I get on and off my bike is not real appealing.

I may have to just go with the saddlebags, but I know the utility of the top trunk would be tremendous.
Yeah... I go for the karate kick hop-skip-jump... but honestly...if you bend your knee of the leg you're lifting so that you nearly heel-kick yourself in the shoulder blade as you swing it over it will clear the top case.

Now, to answer your question about how it's attached. The flat bar that sticks out from the stripped down passenger seat is bolted to the passenger seat. Then you get to use the normal method of installing the passenger seat....lock and all. Then you maneuver the angled rods into the passenger footpeg spots and bolt them in. Since the top rod is flat steel is bends a bit making the maneuvering of the angled footpeg rods possible. Here are two more pics. These were taken during the planning stages and are much better secured. I will take more pics on the assembly when I take it all off tomorrow night to wrap the seat pan in fabric

Last futzed with by Jerkson; July 17th, 2011 at 05:00 AM.

Old July 16th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #15
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yerah I go for the karate kick hop-skip-jump... but honestly...if you bend your knee of the leg you're lifting so that you nearly heel-kick yourself in the shoulder blade as you swing it over it will clear the top case.

Now, to answer your question about how it's attached. The flat bar that sticks out from the stripped down passenger seat is bolted to the passenger seat. Then you get to use the normal method of installing the passenger seat....lock and all. Then you maneuver the angled rods into the passenger footpeg spots and bolt them in. Since the top rod is flat steel is bends a bit making the maneuvering of the angled footpeg rods possible. Here are two more pics. These were taken during the planning stages and are much better secured. I will take more pics on the assembly when I take it all off tomorrow night to wrap the seat pan in fabric
That's a clever way of doing it. By the way, what do you think of the cheapo trunk's overall quality and longevity? How about the quick release bracket, does it seem secure? Can you fit a full face helmet in it?

I too agree that the Givi trunks are insanely expensive.

Old July 16th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #16
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Hey quick question. The E21's are rated at 5kg max load. How heavy have you tried filling them? 11lbs per case is nothing.
I have had about 15-18 lbs in each at times, so far so good. I also have steel reinforcements inside my bags that bolt up to the outer brackets to add strength as well as supports under each bag too so I feel plenty comfortable with it, mine aren't mounted on the quicklock mounts though.

Quote:
Heck yeah man, I went on a ride last weekend and had A LOT of questions about mine, they get a lot of interest.

Quote:
My similar setup was $200 for the sidecases and $60 for the topcase.

Quote:
Getting on is kind of like a punch-kick, you kind of pivit on your left foot, not too bad really.

Old July 16th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #17
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Yerah I go for the karate kick hop-skip-jump...

Quote:
By the way, what do you think of the cheapo trunk's overall quality and longevity? How about the quick release bracket, does it seem secure? Can you fit a full face helmet in it?
I have had mine for 7 months now, works great! I didn't use the quick release bracket, bolted mine directly to the rear seat pan. The largest full face helmet I can fit into mine is a Child Large, not any adult sized.

Old July 16th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #18
setasai

Quote:
I have had about 15-18 lbs in each at times, so far so good. I also have steel reinforcements inside my bags that bolt up to the outer brackets to add strength as well as supports under each bag too so I feel plenty comfortable with it, mine aren't mounted on the quicklock mounts though.
I checked other sites where other people have the larger givi sidecases and that uses the same exact quicklock system and it holds much more. Basically what others have said on other bikes is, fill until you find it messes with the handling and then back off a little. Sounds like everything else with bikes, try and find out. I guess i'll be packing it with whatever i want and see what happens. If I hit an upper limit, i'll report back.

Quote:
Heck yeah man, I went on a ride last weekend and had A LOT of questions about mine, they get a lot of interest.
Yea the other day I was at the store trying on new gloves and another member asked me where i bought the brackets. that felt good. I directed him here but I havent heard from him since so who knows.

Quote:
Getting on is kind of like a punch-kick, you kind of pivit on your left foot, not too bad really.
Haha... Reading about how you guys describe getting on the bike with the top case on is hilarious. All this hopping and kicking... it's like dance class or something. Not sure how you guys do it. I decided not to have a topcase and i've already kicked both cases a couple times now.

Old July 17th, 2011, 04:57 AM   #19
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Quote:
That's a clever way of doing it. By the way, what do you think of the cheapo trunk's overall quality and longevity? How about the quick release bracket, does it seem secure? Can you fit a full face helmet in it?

I too agree that the Givi trunks are insanely expensive.
Considering that the more weight you put in the topcase, the less stress there is on the topcase quick release bracket, I feel it will last just fine. It almost feels MORE secure than the givi's with the quicklock.

Quote:
I recall that you had bolted right through the bags...which would stiffen it up. Adding a shelf or at least two supporting steel "fingers" under the sidecases would help relieve some of the pressure from the two little nubbs they slide onto with the monokey mount kit.

Quote:
Punch and kick and pivot and kick and hop and sit....

Quote:
I checked other sites where other people have the larger givi sidecases and that uses the same exact quicklock system and it holds much more. Basically what others have said on other bikes is, fill until you find it messes with the handling and then back off a little. Sounds like everything else with bikes, try and find out. I guess i'll be packing it with whatever i want and see what happens. If I hit an upper limit, i'll report back.

Yea the other day I was at the store trying on new gloves and another member asked me where i bought the brackets. that felt good. I directed him here but I havent heard from him since so who knows.

Haha... Reading about how you guys describe getting on the bike with the top case on is hilarious. All this hopping and kicking... it's like dance class or something. Not sure how you guys do it. I decided not to have a topcase and i've already kicked both cases a couple times now.
Dismount tends to be more difficult, or at least more likely that I will kick a case in the process.

Yeah those large givi sidecases...I saw ones that hold a helmet in them. They look like they would stick out WAYY to far for my liking. However, thats interesting that the rule of thumb is to fill them until it negatively impacts handling. I check my sidecases where they slide onto those two lower nubbs every day to see if the plastic of the cases shows any stress marks or signs that the plastic is failing/deforming....just in case.

Im staying subscribed to both of your threads...so if any of us notice issues or make refinements as the need arises, we should update our threads so as to collectively provide good long-term data regarding our DIY methods.

Old July 17th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #20
setasai

Quote:
Im staying subscribed to both of your threads...so if any of us notice issues or make refinements as the need arises, we should update our threads so as to collectively provide good long-term data regarding our DIY methods.
Affirmative.

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #21
grandelatte
Go Pack Go!

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 07 XL1200L

This looks GREAT - exactly what I was looking for.

Quote:
...That's why I went the route of the passenger foot pegs.
Can you post a picture of how you utilized the passenger foot pegs?

Thanks
grandelatte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2011, 08:36 AM   #22
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandelatte View Post
This looks GREAT - exactly what I was looking for.

Can you post a picture of how you utilized the passenger foot pegs?

Thanks
I will take better pics and upload them tonight.

Yesterday I went 677KM around the Muskoka Lakes and found only 1 issue with my fully-loaded setup:

The cheapo ebay topcase has two small hinges on the lid, these hinges have a pin in them, much like a door hinge in your house does. The Pin rattled loose and fell out of one of the two hinges!! On one end the hinge is sealed but on the other end it is exposed. I would suggest putting some hot glue in the hole to prevent this from happening to anybody else.

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #23
setasai

Quote:
I will take better pics and upload them tonight.

Yesterday I went 677KM around the Muskoka Lakes and found only 1 issue with my fully-loaded setup:

The cheapo ebay topcase has two small hinges on the lid, these hinges have a pin in them, much like a door hinge in your house does. The Pin rattled loose and fell out of one of the two hinges!! On one end the hinge is sealed but on the other end it is exposed. I would suggest putting some hot glue in the hole to prevent this from happening to anybody else.
Nice, and that technically has nothing to do with the sidecases and your mounts so great job. I just got to SoCal yesterday evening. Spent 12 hours riding, 8am-8pm, ~440miles and the mounts held up great. Significantly more storage space than I had anticipated. I'll post up a real ride report later when I return this weekend.

Btw, I felt the crosswinds you were describing. Man they really push me around. Although to be fair, I doubt it'd have felt very different without the extra sidecase surface area. On the otherhand, it felt more stable on the freeway and dipping into turns with a little extra weight in them.

Old July 18th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #24
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Nice, and that technically has nothing to do with the sidecases and your mounts so great job. I just got to SoCal yesterday evening. Spent 12 hours riding, 8am-8pm, ~440miles and the mounts held up great. Significantly more storage space than I had anticipated. I'll post up a real ride report later when I return this weekend.

Btw, I felt the crosswinds you were describing. Man they really push me around. Although to be fair, I doubt it'd have felt very different without the extra sidecase surface area. On the otherhand, it felt more stable on the freeway and dipping into turns with a little extra weight in them.
Yeah I'm definitely happy with MY craftsmanship. The ebay company however....

Awesome. I look forward to your full detailed report I will read it in it's entirety but I'm too lazy to post an in-depth report from yesterday's ride. They definitely do help with stability when weighted down

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:23 PM   #25
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yeah I'm definitely happy with MY craftsmanship. The ebay company however....

Awesome. I look forward to your full detailed report I will read it in it's entirety but I'm too lazy to post an in-depth report from yesterday's ride. They definitely do help with stability when weighted down
Jason, it appears most of your pics are down. Can you repost them, or edit your existing posts to correct?

I'm looking to build a rack based on your design. Got the bags, the quick release brackets, and a shiny new Lincoln 140 welder that I have no idea how to use yet.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:34 PM   #26
setasai

Quote:
Jason, it appears most of your pics are down. Can you repost them, or edit your existing posts to correct?

I'm looking to build a rack based on your design. Got the bags, the quick release brackets, and a shiny new Lincoln 140 welder that I have no idea how to use yet.
Yay another one. Do you plan on following Jason's design fully or add you're own little twist to it?

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:38 PM   #27
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yay another one. Do you plan on following Jason's design fully or add you're own little twist to it?
I'm sure I'll find that out in the middle of it. More than likely, it will be a mixture of many designs, including your own.

Will of course do a full write up when complete. That is, assuming I can figure out how to weld properly.

Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:55 PM   #28
setasai

Quote:
I'm sure I'll find that out in the middle of it. More than likely, it will be a mixture of many designs, including your own.

Will of course do a full write up when complete. That is, assuming I can figure out how to weld properly.
Hope you figure that out soon. I'm eager to hear about how your project turns out. I love having those sidecases. Most notable things I have in it is wet wipes, smoke/clear visor, and a bottle of water. Amazing how convenient it is. Goodluck.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 07:07 AM   #29
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Sorry bout the pics...they were hosted on Picasa and I rearranged them.

I will get them back up today.

Old August 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #30
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sorry bout the pics...they were hosted on Picasa and I rearranged them.

I will get them back up today.
Ok so maybe it took me two weeks to get them back up... I will put some more up today

Old March 1st, 2013, 08:58 AM   #31
Juan_Alvarez
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Juan

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2012

Nice customization.
If you want your rear seat back, check this out..
(Not sure if this is available in the US)--> Let me know if you find it!
Juan_Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2013, 09:39 AM   #32
Jerkson
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan_Alvarez View Post
Nice customization.
If you want your rear seat back, check this out..
(Not sure if this is available in the US)--> Let me know if you find it!
I believe just the rails for that are something like $500+ after shipping and import taxes. Then you still have to buy cases. The whole point of this was to not spend $600+ on a rack and cases. It is a nice solution though.
Posted via Mobile Device