ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 8th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Adventure Bikes

like every other motosport....biking is "over-geared" IMHO.
I see guys going out to get milk in full gear, I see Beemers with aluminum bags, khaki pants and lace up boots at Starbucks...WTF ? I could go on and on about the halloween parade. Still...I see that this forum has a lot of younger riders on it and I've come to really respect the opinions of the young riders and even the noobs because...straight up...you guys see things different than me and, lots of times...I've come to agree with y'all.
Early on when I got on this forum I hooked up with a noob guy and we went to the mountains. He was a 20-something guy with mountain biking experience . Me...with 40+ years road experience had to flat foot the bike up and down the path, he with maybe 2 years on a moto rode it like it was a bicycle., not even scuffing his boots. I was impressed.
So here's today's Easter question :
At what point does an adventure bike become the bike you'd consider necessary...under what conditions, for what purpose.
I start with a simple premise: If the bike ( ninjette or whatever) can go up that hill, cross that water....then you dont need an adv bike. Still...some of my friends see a dusty dirt road, a few passable outcroppings of rock and they want to turn around. Now, ground clearance is not the issue..you use your head but... Or am I foolishly stuck in the last century? Have modern bikes become too delicate to multi-purpose, too good at riding the roads to take into the ruts ?
No...I'm not considering aluminum bags and khakis but I am wondering if I'm starting to ask too much of the 'jette ?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #2
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Ma.....i told you ot to show that pic
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #3
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Tires were the first thing that came to my mind, too. I have a dualsport in addition to my Ninjette (an XT225) and I had an F650GS for many years...I think the only roads I've ever taken either of those bikes on that I wouldn't want to ride the Ninjette on were the slippery muddy ones that really benefitted from knobbies.

Though if I had a nice shiny sports bike (as opposed to my punky pre-gen), I would turn my bike around at some roads, too, because of my own ability or lack thereof. Dualsports tend to be lighter and more maneuverable and, while I don't care if I lose my balance and drop a dual sport (or, frankly, my Ninjette), I would care if it were a nice shiny bike.

This is a big reason why I no longer own any nice shiny bikes.

Old April 8th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #4
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
Tires were the first thing that came to my mind, too. I have a dualsport in addition to my Ninjette (an XT225) and I had an F650GS for many years...I think the only roads I've ever taken either of those bikes on that I wouldn't want to ride the Ninjette on were the slippery muddy ones that really benefitted from knobbies.

Though if I had a nice shiny sports bike (as opposed to my punky pre-gen), I would turn my bike around at some roads, too, because of my own ability or lack thereof. Dualsports tend to be lighter and more maneuverable and, while I don't care if I lose my balance and drop a dual sport (or, frankly, my Ninjette), I would care if it were a nice shiny bike.

This is a big reason why I no longer own any nice shiny bikes.
Word to all that. I have an XT250. I have taken some tumbles on it and it shows much less scars than a plastic-encased cycle. Also, there is nothing quite like hopping over a grassy/muddy median, out the back of a parking spot at Target and roosting mud at the rent-a-cop giving you the stink eye. Not as civil disobedient as it sounds, but Simple pleasures.

In response to the OP, ADV bikes have gained popularity. I think it is about the perceived value of built-in "all around utility". Most anything can be equipped correctly for ADV work. Suspension, tires, cargo capacity, and (arguably) illumination. Fork and shock(s) need to be up to the task of carrying rider and gear A-B without huge compromises to handling. Tires with adequate traction for the roads (or not) that will or could be encountered. Spaces to haul stuff, be it saddlebags or just a bunch of tie-downs and hooks. Lights, as bright as you can manage without killing the bike's electrical system. BMW GS, Yamaha Tenere, etc. technically have these things from the showroom floor. Most people will pay for as much convenience as they can afford.