Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 10th, 2012, 02:30 PM   #1
s1akr
ninjette.org member

Name: Lazy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R - Green

Question Should I wait?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to riding and new to the site. I've been licensed for 14 years, but never owned one, and have no experience on a bike other than the safety course I took when i was 19. I own a car, and I'm looking for a bike for fun, commute to school to save gas (30 miles one way, includes highway), and I'd like to experience a track day or two to see if it's for me. So, after a couple of weeks of research I decided on the Ninja 250r.

So far, I've found that this bike retains it's resale value really nicely. haven't been able to find an '08 model for less than 3k, and used 2012 with a few k miles on them are going for 5k, some for more. The only bike selling for under 3k was an '09 model for $2500 but it was sold before I had a chance to contact the seller. I'm not opposed to buying brand new. So, I visited a dealership yesterday, and I can get a brand new with 3.99% for three years with monthly payment I'm very comfortable paying.

But, my dilema is this: Will Kawasaki come out with a re-designed model in 2013? I hear Europe has a FI version of the Ninja. With the CBR now competing in the same market, it's logical for Kawasaki to include FI models around the world in response being that it is already available. It will not cost Kawasaki anything to include FI models around the world, r&d already done. They just need to put it out there.

I'd hate to spend a chunk of change or be locked in a three year agreement right now, and have an FI, remodeled version come out not too long after. I'll be kicking myself in the behind while banging my head against the wall for I don't know how long.

What do you guys think? Do you think Kawasaki will come out with a remodeled ninjette next year? What time of the year do Kawasaki normally make their official announcement on new models? Anyone have any inside info?
s1akr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If you can afford it, get it now. Just get a used bike and don't change anything except the mileage, and other maintenance related things.

There is no reason to wait in my mind. If something bigger/better comes out of Kawasaki next year, there's always the option to sell your bike and get the new one you want.

Get out and ride asap!! you'll thank yourself for it
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #3
DevinWolfe
Which pedal is the gas?

Name: Devin

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE

I recommend the following:

Re-take the MSF
buy used (now, or soon)
sell later and upgrade to an FI bike IF they release one and you feel that it's worth it

You'll pay close to $1,000 over MSRP in dealer fees (at least in TN that's what I was quoted) and those will never be recovered if/when you sell.

Also, you're likely to drop the bike within the first 6 months even if it's something silly in a parking lot, it'd be a shame to scratch up a brand new bike.

I was also interested in the CBR250 until I read into the numerous issues their owners are encountering. I would recommend you take a look on their forums because I doubt Kawi is concerned with the CBR being real competition with regard to "keeping up" with Honda.

No need to wait in my opinion, you've already recognized that these fun little bikes keep their resale value so as long as you buy used you're very unlikely to get upside down in the deal when/if you sell.
DevinWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #4
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

ohh shoot youre in socal... I was gonna say just come buy mine, but that would be a drive.

I was thinking Monteray.. which wouldnt be that bad...
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

In a couple years, FI will be required in the 250 to meet emissions requirements, and Kawasaki will sell it over here. It will cost a lot more than a new model today (just look at the current model - $3,500 in 2008, $4,200 in 2012, and it's the exact same bike!).

(and until Honda returns the CBR250RR to production, Kawi has no competition in the small-cc market)

Old April 10th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #6
s1akr
ninjette.org member

The dealers here are asking $895 x 2, freight and assembly I think. So total with the $4199 msrp come out to around $5998 if I remember correctly. Plus tax and license it's going to be close to $7000. I'm sure. Can talk them down tho, and have them throw in some gear which I need a whole set of.

Yeah ur right, I'm going used all the way. I'll start shopping for gear while I wait for a good deal to come along.

Old April 10th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #7
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

$7000 OTD?!

that makes me feel like the 4k I want is pretty damn reasonable...

Old April 10th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

The dealers must be smoking all that pot you guys made legal. $2,800 in fees?! That's 2/3 the entire MSRP of the bike!!

Old April 10th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1akr View Post
The dealers here are asking $895 x 2, freight and assembly I think. So total with the $4199 msrp come out to around $5998 if I remember correctly. Plus tax and license it's going to be close to $7000. I'm sure. Can talk them down tho, and have them throw in some gear which I need a whole set of.

Yeah ur right, I'm going used all the way. I'll start shopping for gear while I wait for a good deal to come along.
Good call.

Jesus... out the door I paid $6,000 for my ER-6n.

Really, I loved my 2008 Ninja 250, but if you pay $7,000 you are not getting enough for your money. You should wait. And here's what you should do: Find out what the payment will be. Not that introductory $99/month crap for the first 12 (or 18) months, but what you would actually have to pay to pay it off in three years. (For $7,000 financed, $0 down, no trades: 10% would be $225/mo, 5% would be $210) Take that amount and put it aside every month. When you have about $2000.00 saved up, go shopping for a used Ninja 250. Don't spend more than $3,000 for it.

Keep saving your money... When you have another $2,000 saved up, sell your bike, start it at what you paid for it (they hold value surprisingly well.) and walk into the dealer with cash. They don't make a deal... lots of dealers. Shop in winter, Kawi offers incentives (even if the weather is fine where you're at.) Look for last year's model.

I bought my 2009 ER-6n in 2011 new. I paid just under $6,000 out the door. Granted, the ER was an unloved model, but still...

And, um... take the MSF course as a refresher. Preferably 1 month or less before getting a bike. Nothing's changed, but it's amazing what you forget when you don't ride.

Good luck!

Old April 10th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #10
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

I dont think he will be able to get a new gen for 2k out here....

Old April 10th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The FI version has been rumored for 20 years. It finally came to fruition in the new-gen model in some overseas markets with a little less pricing pressure. Every year since 2008, there are rumors about the US market getting the FI one the very next year.

Nobody knows for sure other than Kawi, and perhaps they don't know either. But I wouldn't count on it for 2013, or even any of the years immediately after if the sales of the bike aren't materially changed.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #12
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The FI version has been rumored for 20 years. It finally came to fruition in the new-gen model in some overseas markets with a little less pricing pressure. Every year since 2008, there are rumors about the US market getting the FI one the very next year.

Nobody knows for sure other than Kawi, and perhaps they don't know either. But I wouldn't count on it for 2013, or even any of the years immediately after if the sales of the bike aren't materially changed.
ha you know what when Floyd posted that stupid april fools joke I totally though "oh **** my bike is worthless now" hahahahaha

Old April 10th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #13
s1akr
ninjette.org member

I'll shoot for under 3k. Gonna have to be lucky tho. I calculated the payment, for a new one with 3.99% is roughly around $205 a month for 3 years. The $1790 fees is pretty steep. Plus tax and license....almost the msrp of a 650r

There are lots of used available for sale here in SoCal, pricey but I've only noticed one being sold so far (been looking the last couple of day) I'm interested to see how many sold, and if they actually sold for the listed price. A couple of adds have posted lowered prices, roughly $200 less. I'm sure if I keep looking I'll find the right one for the right price.

The sales guy from the dealer asked me for my contact info, and he told me to not make a buying decision on a used model before contacting him. He promised that he will be able to make me happy. Boy, was he trying to sell. He wa good tho, almost got me. That 2012 green is so sexy. I'll keep in touch with him and see how low he will go for me. I'll keep you guys posted.

If I buy private party, I still have to pay tax and license right? Not sure how that works or how much it is. Anyone bought second hand before in California?

I saw an add looking for someone to sell him a bike plus write it off as a gift on the bill of sales? Does that affect the tax and license? He was willing to pay extra for it. Anyone know how that works?

Old April 10th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
I'll shoot for under 3k. Gonna have to be lucky tho. I calculated the payment, for a new one with 3.99% is roughly around $205 a month for 3 years. The $1790 fees is pretty steep. Plus tax and license....almost the msrp of a 650r
Buying a 650 (its not a 650r) through costco gives you a guarenteed out the door price of $7650. All you need is a costco membership to get the deal

In cali buying a used bike you pay the owner what they ask then you pay tax on that and registration if it needs to be registered. So when I bought my 07 for 1900, I had to pay like 172 in tax

Also you are only like 34 miles from me, we should ride together when I'm able to in 3-6 months
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #15
s1akr
ninjette.org member

@Jiggles for sure. I should have one by then. Saw ur crash post, sorry it happened. How's the recovery coming along? Did the factors give u an estimated date of recovery?

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
3-6 months. Up to a year. The only advice I can give on my accident is if someone pulls out in front of you like they did to me, try to jump it, at least then you won't break a femur lol
And recovery? Yea I'm boxed in at home doing nothing, fun stuff
AFM #676

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #17
s1akr
ninjette.org member

Then I have plenty of time to wait for a good deal. Time to break out the playstation

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Dude I'm totally unmotivated to play video games, I have no idea why!
AFM #676

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #19
s1akr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
ohh shoot youre in socal... I was gonna say just come buy mine, but that would be a drive.

I was thinking Monteray.. which wouldnt be that bad...
Where a outs NorCal are u at? I was looking at some post in San Luis obispo. I'll make the trip for the right bike and the right price

Of course I'll probably make a little vacation out of it and pick it up on my way back.

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #20
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Go used.

Only pros to going used. Especially for the new gen's; they are such new bikes that most will last with little or no problems for a long time.

Old April 10th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #21
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Where a outs NorCal are u at? I was looking at some post in San Luis obispo. I'll make the trip for the right bike and the right price

Of course I'll probably make a little vacation out of it and pick it up on my way back.
hahaha im actually in Norcal dude. Like an hour north of Sacramento. Im not gonna let it go for less than 4k so idk if thats really a steal for you, but I think its fair. Lots of work in it.

Old April 10th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
hahaha im actually in Norcal dude. Like an hour north of Sacramento. Im not gonna let it go for less than 4k so idk if thats really a steal for you, but I think its fair. Lots of work in it.
Careful about this, he puts his penis in the exhaust pipe
AFM #676

Old April 10th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #23
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Careful about this, he puts his penis in the exhaust pipe
only when its hot!

Old April 10th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #24
Countersteer
<><><><><><><><><>

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): <2008 250R> Past Bikes:06 GSXR600 89 CBR1000 78 Hawk 400 86 Ninja 600R 86 & 87 FZ600 81 GPZ550 71 CB360T

For whatever it's worth...

For whatever it's worth, I just paid $2000 for a bone stock '08 250R w/ 3400 miles. Deals are out there...
Countersteer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countersteer View Post
For whatever it's worth, I just paid $2000 for a bone stock '08 250R w/ 3400 miles. Deals are out there...
Who died on it?
AFM #676

Old April 10th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #26
Countersteer
<><><><><><><><><>

Motorcycle(s): <2008 250R> Past Bikes:06 GSXR600 89 CBR1000 78 Hawk 400 86 Ninja 600R 86 & 87 FZ600 81 GPZ550 71 CB360T

Quote:
Who died on it?
I forgot their name...

Old April 10th, 2012, 07:15 PM   #27
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Who died on it?
No one. Some toolbag broke his leg, though.

Deals can be found, but some areas might be higher priced than others... Patience is the key.

Old April 10th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #28
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddoak View Post
No one. Some toolbag broke his leg, though.

Deals can be found, but some areas might be higher priced than others... Patience is the key.
AFM #676

Old April 10th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #29
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Bet I'd win for the next 3-6 months... unless someone's meds are seriously powerful... I'm not afraid of cheap shots!

Old April 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #30
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Perhaps, but I'm bringing guns
AFM #676

Old April 10th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #31
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

He lives in Alabama.....

Go to AL, get deals. Stay in CA nothing under 3k for new gen... lol

Old April 10th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #32
Countersteer
<><><><><><><><><>

Thumbs down

Quote:
He lives in Alabama.....

Go to AL, get deals. Stay in CA nothing under 3k for new gen... lol
I grew up in Kalifornia, good place to be from, although I don't recommend the south...

Old April 10th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #33
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countersteer View Post
I grew up in Kalifornia, good place to be from, although I don't recommend the south...
haha prices are insane around here dude...

Old April 10th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #34
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

It might not be a bad idea to buy a bike from a different area and have it shipped.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/2886549502.html

For example, and then $500 or so to have it shipped. That still puts you around 4k before negotiations.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #35
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

he would be better off just coming and getting mine at that point....

Old April 10th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #36
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninjette

Quote:

I've had major issues with looking at 250r's new and dealers wanting to charge north of $5500 OTD. I had a dealer litteraly scoff and laugh in my face when I told him I would do $4700 cash in hand out the door.

The irony being that these same dealers, if you don't go in expressly to purchase a 250, will try and cut you deals on larger more expensive MSRP bikes like the 650 or zx6r's (even if you tell them it's your first bike and you're new to riding) so I got one to draw up all the paperwork and show me all of my OTD price and fee's on a zx6r thinking he had a huge sale, then I looked at the fees and miraculously NONE of the BS fees from the 250 were on the tab, so I told him actually I want a 250r, and he told me he couldn't do that on the 250r. They just refuse to accept that they have a smaller profit margin on the most basic beginner sport bike and understand that if they took care of all these riders wanting 250's, they'd probably have a nice fat comission on another bike in a year or so.

A 250 shouldn't be within a grand of a damn 650r or even higher MSRP bike OTD price...ever... it's obscene. It also drives the used market prices up, there are tons used with 2-6k miles on them and mild wear and tear that are still asking around MSRP at $4k. I have literally seen dozens of used 250r ads in the last year for $5-6k, people that bought for themselves or their kid or their wife, and decided it wasn't the bike for them/they didn't want to ride a motorcycle any more, and that's what they are selling it for because that's what they owe...

Apparently if I trek up to oklahoma I can get some better pricing on them new according to some local members though, but I certainly feel your pain. it's stopped me from owning one for the past year almost hoping prices come down more, I mean I can have a 650 lightly used in same condition as these 250's for around $4k, it drives me nuts. Good luck to you!
Mulholland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #37
s1akr
ninjette.org member

Yeah this one guy is selling an '08 model, dropped on both sides (low to no speed) with 8k miles and he wanted $3500 for it....he then dropped it to $3300 three days later, but still! That's insanely high.

@massacremasses yeah 4k + the distance is not gonna work, not to mention the potentially sticky exhaust

I'll keep looking, now I'm having some fun researching and shopping for gear...what's going to be challenging is when I have all the gear but no bike

Old April 11th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #38
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

I wish u luck. 250r's around me run ~3k all day long here. Mine isnt for sale, but if I had someone just offer me 2800 cash.. id prolly sell mine too.

California just sucks all the way around. None of my vehicles are legal there and the gun laws are barbaric.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #39
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Good luck shopping for a bike. My advice would be to not be afraid to start out on a bigger bike if you cant find a 250 at a good price or if those prices between a 600 and 250 start blurring. Bigger bikes, obviously have more power and weighs a bit more, but its very manageable, and power delivery at the low end is very similar to the 250, however, once you past 8k rpm is when you start to notice the power difference.

As for buying out of state, just make sure you check DMV laws, I believe CA has a law that states that in order to register a bike/automobile from out of state, it has to have XXXX amount of miles.

be safe, take your time.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:26 AM   #40
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by burningscooter View Post
Good luck shopping for a bike. My advice would be to not be afraid to start out on a bigger bike if you cant find a 250 at a good price or if those prices between a 600 and 250 start blurring. Bigger bikes, obviously have more power and weighs a bit more, but its very manageable, and power delivery at the low end is very similar to the 250, however, once you past 8k rpm is when you start to notice the power difference.
Uhh, maybe he should stick to 2 cylinders don't ya think?
AFM #676