ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 17th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #1
codestp202

Anyone got these Speed and Strength Shoes?

Hey guys, I'm looking for shoes that I can wear on the bike to class and around when I go riding.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...oto-Shoes.aspx

Been looking at these because they look super normal compared to other shoe boots. Anybody got them? If you do, how do they fit compared to other shoes because I wear 10 1/2 or 11 in nikes.

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Those don't offer any protection, your ankle will still break in an accident.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #3
codestp202

Well then what would you recommend? I'm not going to buy boots, and I'm wearing athletic shoes right now that offer even less protection lol.

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #4
diablos991
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (blue)

lol, these will give you just as much protection as high-top sneakers. (probably cheaper for you to go to payless shoes if this is your thing)

Why are you against riding with boots? They make boots that are reasonably comfortable to walk around in.

I just picked up a set of these and love them.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...oad_boots.html
diablos991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Buy boots. Ankles break easily. If I had not been wearing my boots in my accident, not only would my left femur be broken but my right ankle would also be broken. Had I been wearing sneakers, or work boots, I'd be seriously ****ed right now.

I wore my boots all over the place. I rode to school wore them to school and wore them home. I'll wear my boots all day long. I bought a pair that were meant to be comfy and they are. Reconsider your thoughts on gear. If you lowside, a common accident, what do you think the bike is going to land on?
AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #6
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Buy boots. Ankles break easily. If I had not been wearing my boots in my accident, not only would my left femur be broken but my right ankle would also be broken. Had I been wearing sneakers, or work boots, I'd be seriously ****ed right now.

I wore my boots all over the place. I rode to school wore them to school and wore them home. I'll wear my boots all day long. I bought a pair that were meant to be comfy and they are. Reconsider your thoughts on gear. If you lowside, a common accident, what do you think the bike is going to land on?
It will land on my wiener because it is so big and the crash will be minimal because it will take all the impact.
Okay but seriously, then if I bought boots, did you have to buy bootcut jeans to fit over them or do you tuck them in? I'm just not in love with the 3/4 length and full length boots. What about these alpinestars, they look like they would offer more protection.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ane-Shoes.aspx
or
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ing-Shoes.aspx
or
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...X-1-Boots.aspx

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #7
diablos991
ninjette.org member

Quote:

What style of boots did you have? How did they hold up after the spill? (any tearing cracking, etc.)

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
My regular jeans fit over them, as long as you don't have penis constrictors then you should be fine.

Here's what it looks like on my bike

Link to original page on YouTube.

AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #9
diablos991
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
It will land on my wiener because it is so big and the crash will be minimal because it will take all the impact.
Okay but seriously, then if I bought boots, did you have to buy bootcut jeans to fit over them or do you tuck them in? I'm just not in love with the 3/4 length and full length boots. What about these alpinestars, they look like they would offer more protection.

or
or
I tuck in my normal pants (slacks for work, jeans or cargo for weekend) and usually let my textile overpants go over the boot.

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablos991 View Post
What style of boots did you have? How did they hold up after the spill? (any tearing cracking, etc.)
Boots had no damage even though they rammed into the girls car at 25mph

I have these TCX S-Race boots. Expensive, worth every penny

AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #11
codestp202

So are either of those 3 pairs that I linked okay to you guys? I'm not made of money at this point because I have school to pay for right now and I just bought the bike lol.

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:

or
or
The thing is your foot is going to bend from all the force of an impact, only a full or 3/4 boot is going to prevent that
AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
So are either of those 3 pairs that I linked okay to you guys? I'm not made of money at this point because I have school to pay for right now and I just bought the bike lol.
Honestly, they are a waste of money
AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #14
diablos991
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Those all share the same lack of protection problem that the first pair had.

Look at the boots I linked. $107 shipped for a full boot and it doesn't look bad at all.

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #15
codestp202

Quote:
Honestly, they are a waste of money
even the s-mx 1's? Those are considered 3/4's

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
If it doesn't go up your calf, it isn't going to help

If you have full range motion in the shoe, then you have full range motion when you crash and something is going to push against that and then something is going to break

You want to be constricted
AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #17
codestp202

Quote:
Those all share the same lack of protection problem that the first pair had.

Look at the boots I linked. $107 shipped for a full boot and it doesn't look bad at all.
Those are pretty nice looking, do your guy's feet sweat like a mofo on the hotter days?

lol, then im just gonna wear flippy floppies

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #18
diablos991
ninjette.org member

Quote:
even the s-mx 1's? Those are considered 3/4's
Think of it this way. Do you want to win the motorcycle fashion show, be a runway model, or would you rather have your ankle last through a crash?

It doesn't sound like a money issue, but more of a style issue. Have you tried on any full boots to see if they are comfortable for you?

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
With my boots, I don't sweat unless I'm sitting in a hot classroom. But if that happens I just loosen the velcro and air pours in
AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #20
codestp202

Quote:
Think of it this way. Do you want to win the motorcycle fashion show, be a runway model, or would you rather have your ankle last through a crash?

It doesn't sound like a money issue, but more of a style issue. Have you tried on any full boots to see if they are comfortable for you?
I've had plenty of full length boots from my motocross days and if full length streetbike boots fit anything like them, it makes you walk around like a tard because they're so weirdly shaped

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #21
diablos991
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I've had plenty of full length boots from my motocross days and if full length streetbike boots fit anything like them, it makes you walk around like a tard because they're so weirdly shaped
The race boots that jiggles linked would probably be just as firm. The boots that I linked are more forgiving (and more dangerous because of that).

The tradeoff is movement vs safety. The more your ankle can bend, the higher your risk exposure in an accident. (within reasonable limits of course since if you can't move at all, you can't shift or rear brake easily)

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Save up for the tcx s-race boots then. I could walk perfectly fine in them and they were comfortable.

When just walking around, if I wanted more ankle movement, I could just unstrap the velcro and voila. I never actually needed to though, but it is an option
AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #23
codestp202

Quote:
Save up for the tcx s-race boots then. I could walk perfectly fine in them and they were comfortable.

When just walking around, if I wanted more ankle movement, I could just unstrap the velcro and voila. I never actually needed to though, but it is an option
I'm definitely looking into those and the full length alpinestars. Thanks guys

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-s-sportour-boots
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-s-zero-boots
??????????

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:40 PM   #24
codestp202

Quote:

Little do you know, I am in a motorcycle fashion show, and I am a runway model!

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #25
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

@codestp202 - I originally had sneakers like the SS ones you were looking at (Shift Kickers) until I had numerous people tell me that they didn't protect me from the most common motorcylcle injuries. I bought the alpinestars smx-5 and I absolutely love them. Like you, I didn't want to look like a power ranger walking around in full race boots but these are remarkably comfortable and they feel so much more secure. I feel naked if I try to ride with my old "riding" sneakers now. I will wear these on my ride to work and sometimes forget to change them until later in the day because they are comfortable enough for me to forget i'm wearing them. I pull my work pants (slacks or khakis) over them so unless you wear 10yr old boy jeans, you should be able to cover them with your jeans.

If money is tight, there are still many full boot options available. Try looking at the Cortech Latigo as well. Those can had for $143 here: http://www.bikebandit.com/cortech-la...torcycle-boots.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #26
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post
@codestp202 - I originally had sneakers like the SS ones you were looking at (Shift Kickers) until I had numerous people tell me that they didn't protect me from the most common motorcylcle injuries. I bought the alpinestars smx-5 and I absolutely love them. Like you, I didn't want to look like a power ranger walking around in full race boots but these are remarkably comfortable and they feel so much more secure. I feel naked if I try to ride with my old "riding" sneakers now. I will wear these on my ride to work and sometimes forget to change them until later in the day because they are comfortable enough for me to forget i'm wearing them. I pull my work pants (slacks or khakis) over them so unless you wear 10yr old boy jeans, you should be able to cover them with your jeans.

If money is tight, there are still many full boot options available. Try looking at the Cortech Latigo as well. Those can had for $143 here: http://www.bikebandit.com/cortech-la...torcycle-boots.
Those are definitely in my choices right now. I saw those right away and they caught my eye. There are just so many choices. You guys made me feel bad and now I gotta get full lengths.

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #27
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Those are definitely in my choices right now. I saw those right away and they caught my eye. There are just so many choices. You guys made me feel bad and now I gotta get full lengths.
You won't regret it
AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #28
diablos991
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Your ankle will thank us!

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #29
codestp202

I'm going to break my ankle wearing full lengths, then I will find you guys and make you pay me for the money I spent on them.
OKAY well now that we're on the subject of full lengths. Fav brands? So far I like some by alpinestar,sidi,teknic,cortech, spidi, and tcx

Old April 17th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #30
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I can't speak to the other tcx models, I just know that the pair of boots I have are the most comfortable and best boots I've ever tried on. When they get worn out I will replace them with another set. Thing is, they are expensive as hell, around $340. Head down to a motorcycle store and try on some different brands. You want to make sure they fit your foot before you order them
AFM #676

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #31
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
You will be safer and even if you never need to test their protective qualities (I hope you do not) you will feel awesome on the bike with them. They relieve a lot of pressure on your ankles and I feel like I have more leverage to move around when cornering. Those riding sneakers while better than flip flops, are no substitute.

FYI I bought the Latigos and returned them for the SMX-5. They were just okay and felt a little lacking to me. But they make an air version that is fully perforated to allow more airflow to cool your feet. If you haven't already, check out revzilla.com for their video review of gear found here: http://www.revzilla.com/summer-motorcycle-gear-guide

I believe the SMX-5 are discussed under the race boot guide.

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #32
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 two-fiddy (red)

I have a pair of speed and strengths similar to the ones OP linked. They are more like hi-tops and come just over my ankles. No they don't offer the same protection as full boots but they do offer protection. They're pretty solid around the ankles and offer plenty of protection in terms of impact or crush protection. Everyone says how they're pointless etc. But imho i'm more concerned with my foot getting crushed or smacking something than say twisting my ankle in an accident. So in that regard, as long as its solid around the ankle it offers reasonable protection.

Granted they very similar to work boots as far as toe and ankle protection so why not just wear work boots?
Ninja Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #33
codestp202

Quote:
I can't speak to the other tcx models, I just know that the pair of boots I have are the most comfortable and best boots I've ever tried on. When they get worn out I will replace them with another set. Thing is, they are expensive as hell, around $340. Head down to a motorcycle store and try on some different brands. You want to make sure they fit your foot before you order them
Yeah, thats the problem is that I have to find a store that will carry them around me.

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #34
diablos991
ninjette.org member

I went with those Tour Masters for a couple reasons. A, I have pretty wide feet and most boots are way tight on the sides. B, I have decent sized calfs and some boots would cut off circulation. Three, I like that they were only $100 and look decent under a pair of slacks.

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #35
codestp202

Well these are my top 4 choices by far. The teknic and cortech are my favorite for pricing,
but I think the spidi boots are my favorite overall.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-s-mx-5-boot

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...p3-sport-boots

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/teknic-chicane-boot

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/c...o-air-rr-boots

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #36
codestp202

Quote:
I went with those Tour Masters for a couple reasons. A, I have pretty wide feet and most boots are way tight on the sides. B, I have decent sized calfs and some boots would cut off circulation. Three, I like that they were only $100 and look decent under a pair of slacks.
****, I didnt even think about my calf size... my thighs and calves are huge from working out.

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #37
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I'm going to break my ankle wearing full lengths, then I will find you guys and make you pay me for the money I spent on them.
OKAY well now that we're on the subject of full lengths. Fav brands? So far I like some by alpinestar,sidi,teknic,cortech, spidi, and tcx
You covered the main brands pretty much. What is your max price point?

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #38
codestp202

Honestly, I can't see myself spending the 250 on the alpinestars or the spidis. I think between 150-200 max

I'm diggin the cortech latigo air the most

@Jiggles Happy with these?
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/c...o-air-rr-boots
Nice and perforated, good for casual track days and mostly just daily riding. Good protection AND he even says its great protection from ankle protection and rolling. And they're super cheap and look great ;D

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #39
diablos991
ninjette.org member

I like those a lot.

You have come a long way this past hour!

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #40
codestp202

Lol I hate you all