ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old April 29th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Death Valley / SoCal

This ride is still in progress, but it's been quite interesting already. I'm out on the first real ride with my new steed (K1600GT); the ride should be about 2000 miles all told. I had about 1000 miles on the bike when I started the ride. Here's the problem - after riding to Death Valley at speed, with a jaunt back and forth to Vegas, I used much more of the rear tire than I would have ever expected. This morning when I stopped for lunch, I looked at the rear tire and I was already at the cords!

I was in the middle of nowhere, on a Sunday afternoon, with a tire that couldn't go more than 10 - 20 miles before it was going to burst. The nearest BMW shops (20 miles away and 50 miles away) are both closed Sun/Mon. A friend helped me locate a Cycle Gear in Victorville about 10 miles away, with a tire that would work. Slightly different size, but it would do. I slapped a few layers of duct tape on the tire to cover the cords, and was slowly on my way to the Cycle Gear. But they couldn't install the tire, unless I could remove the wheel from the bike; they don't do any R/R. The bike has no real toolkit, including what is necessary to remove the rear wheel. So - I was incredibly lucky that the Harley dealership in that town decided to open this Sunday to help out any travelers coming back from Laughlin. So I wrapped the tire around my midsection, rode over to the Harley dealership, and they did have the tools (and the willingness) to remove the wheel and get the tire mounted. Couldn't balance it due to their machine not having the right BMW wheel adapter, but that's not critical. I was at 2092 miles on the bike at the time! It was fun hanging out with some of the other folks waiting for service. One of them owns a handful of BMW's as well.

What killed the tire was a whole bunch of relatively high speed running, and aggressive acceleration on all of the back roads. Also, the bike is spec'd with Metzeler Z8's, which are reasonably soft and quick wearing. The rear is now a Pilot Road 3, and I'm hoping to get closer to 5k/tire on average, but we'll see.

They finished the bike within a reasonable time, and I was soon on my way. I still wanted to do some of the fun roads planned on the way to San Diego, so I aimed for the Angeles Crest. I entered it by Wrightwood, and started to head East. I had made it 15 miles or so, when I came up upon a ranger with lights on, blocking the road. Evidently there was a serious motorcycle accident right around the corner, and the ranger said the road would be blocked from 1 to 3 hours. (link) So - I had to backtrack, and took Big Pine road out just for something different, but soon ended almost right where I left I-15 in the first place. Made it to San Diego within a reasonable time.

The new tire feels a bit different as it's not quite the right size (190/50 instead of 190/55), so the rear end of the bike feels like it's squatting a bit. But it still provides more than enough cornering clearance, and I'm grateful they had something that close in stock.

Will be down here for a few days, and then looking forward to a whole bunch of different fun roads on the way back. (Cuddy Valley, Cerro Noroeste, 58, 229, 25, and a few more...)

I have pics of the tire, and of the bike, but they are currently trapped on the camera until I get back to home base.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
You'd think they would have told you at the dealership, oh by the way, you'll need to change these tires out every 1000-1500 miles,

Sheesh
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Would make for a nice warning sticker.

Seems like some are getting 9K+ on them, but with an average between 4k and 5k. Death Valley can be pretty hard on tires, and I was doing absolutely nothing to conserve them.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old April 29th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #4
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

How long will you be down in So. Cal for and which roads are you planning on riding?
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Working all week. Heading back Friday. Route will look something like this:

http://g.co/maps/cnzyy

Freeway to get moving North, but then from Lake Hughes onward, mostly staying off the highways until I get to Hollister. Wanted to try GMR yesterday, as it seems to be one of the fun SoCal roads I haven't had a chance to see yet. But hard to fit too much in on Friday and still get home at a reasonable hour. The ones I've chosen are fun, but are also fast and mostly in the right direction.

Old April 30th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Ah man, it looks like the fun doesn't even start until you get north of LA! Ride safe while you're down here (not that I don't already know you will) and enjoy the area! If you're ever back down for a fun ride, or just a free day, we should all plan a ride through GMR or Ortega or the like.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Wow. So those tires couldn't even last for one cross-country trip if they needed to be replaced at 500 miles.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #8
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

GMR

GMR is amazing. Everyone goes up there, you'll see Motorcycles, Coupes, Cyclists and even Longboarders if your there before 11.
I've gone on my ninja and longboard. Extremely fun and tight turns.

Old April 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #9
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Working all week. Heading back Friday. Route will look something like this:

http://g.co/maps/cnzyy

Freeway to get moving North, but then from Lake Hughes onward, mostly staying off the highways until I get to Hollister. Wanted to try GMR yesterday, as it seems to be one of the fun SoCal roads I haven't had a chance to see yet. But hard to fit too much in on Friday and still get home at a reasonable hour. The ones I've chosen are fun, but are also fast and mostly in the right direction.
Interesting choice doing 58/33/138, instead of down along the 1. That looks fun, particularly the bit from Lake Hughes. I tend to prefer the coast road, but may change that my next time though. (Though I have to say there is some value to the coast route simply for not having to ride through Taft.) Was 138 as fun as it looks? I'm often based out of Lancaster when back in the U.S. and that could be a great ride.

Also, your Vegas pic - those Helimot gloves you are sporting? I'm hoping to stop into the store next time I'm in bay area and pick up a pair . . .

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I've done the coast all the way up and down a number of times. Gorgeous, and parts of it are good riding, but much of it isn't. And - it involves passing car after car after RV after car, etc. The inland fun roads are often completely deserted. Lake Hughes road is fun. 138 is just a transit road to get over to Frasier Park / cuddy valley / cerro noroeste, which are IMO some of the best roads in the world, let alone CA.

Good eye, those are Helimot gloves. Big fan of 'em, these are probably my 4th or 5th pair at this point.