ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:27 AM   #1
keyvan
NinjaPC<[2%]---->

Name: keyvan

Motorcycle(s): red 09 ninja 250r

How do the gauges work? Installing PC touchscreen in place of instrument cluster.

Hey there, I'm from OCMOTO.com forums, and someone referred me here and told me to talk to Kkim. Cool that there's a forum dedicated to my type of bike.

I have a red 09 Ninja 250r, it's been a blast to ride and I love it (recently upgraded from an 88 kawasaki eliminator 250 cruiser, world of difference).

I plan to remove the gauge cluster and in its place put a 7" LCD Touchscreen monitor. There will be a picoITX size PC (about the size of a pack of camel wides, 1ghz processor) in the trunk with a device called the Fusion Brain (a piece of hardware with 16 analog sensors that hooks up to the PC via USB and can display graphs, gauges, etc, based on the analog sensor inputs)

so what I need to know is if the fusion brain will even work for me in the case of the ninja--I need to know how the gauges work on the ninja...

I HOPE that the needles on the tach, speedo, and fuel are simply a wire with a varying voltage and needle moves further as the voltage increases/decreases further from a point--if this is how it works i am lucky and the fusion brain will do the job....

i hope I've given you enough info for you to expand on this-

thanks guys
keyvan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:41 AM   #2
kkim

well, I can tell you the speedo is cable driven.

The signal tach is taken off the igniter. The fuel is a wire from the tank sender... don't know if it's a resistance reading or what.

I would suggest you purchase a service manual for the bike if you are serious about the project so you can track down with certainty the signals or wires you need. Our bikes have carbs and not FI, so unlike FI there is no computer which controls the functions.

welcome to the forum.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2008, 12:52 AM   #3
keyvan
NinjaPC<[2%]---->

the legendary kkim! thanks for your quick response. I'll pick up a manual--I hope it goes that into depth about the gauges.

for the speedo, i figure i can design some kind of hall-effect or photodetector unit to stick to the end of it and get a pulse signal out of that, but i would need to learn more about how it works.

for the tach, when you say it's taken off the igniter, it makes me think that the tach works by being connected to a wire that receives electrical pulses that increase in frequency as the engine rpm increases....

as for the fuel, i guess i'd have to keep looking...

I have yet to remove the front fairing of my bike (ive removed the side fairings) to get to the gauges and inspect with a multimeter but i plan to do that soon (i heard you've taken apart your bike many times, maybe you can suggest something, is there an easier way to get to the gauge cluster without having to remove the front peice that holds my mirrors/headlight/windscreen?).

thanks again for your help, and yeah i'm very serious about this project, it's these obstacles that make me feel good once i've completed the project--not as fun if it's easy

Old December 23rd, 2008, 01:01 AM   #4
kkim

check out the DIYs in the new gen tech forum. There are DIYs on how to take the fairings and tank off... I've not had the pleasure of removing the front "nose" piece, but there are many on this site that have. Just ask if you can't find something in the tech forum and I'm sure someone will help you.

Take the time to post an introduction in the new riders forum. We're all interested to know more about the members here.

Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:51 AM   #5
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyvan View Post
for the speedo, i figure i can design some kind of hall-effect or photodetector unit to stick to the end of it and get a pulse signal out of that, but i would need to learn more about how it works.

for the tach, when you say it's taken off the igniter, it makes me think that the tach works by being connected to a wire that receives electrical pulses that increase in frequency as the engine rpm increases....

thanks again for your help, and yeah i'm very serious about this project, it's these obstacles that make me feel good once i've completed the project--not as fun if it's easy
I know that there are some alternate sensors you can get for the speedo - as there has been plenty of talk before about gear indicators....

this was an item that was posted over on another forum that had been purchased to skirt the speedo issue with the acumen gear indicator...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=290275827012
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:48 AM   #6
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

Post pics here if you get this project done. I'm interested.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2008, 03:56 PM   #7
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
I know that there are some alternate sensors you can get for the speedo - as there has been plenty of talk before about gear indicators....

this was an item that was posted over on another forum that had been purchased to skirt the speedo issue with the acumen gear indicator...
Dang! That's a really good price If I still had mean money coming in that was actually on my pallet of things to do (along WITH the acumen gauge)... Oh wells
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2008, 06:41 PM   #8
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post

Anyone have any idea how easy it would be to install this and the gear indicator? Sounds like something that would be great for our bike.
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2008, 10:38 PM   #9
keyvan
NinjaPC<[2%]---->

A gear indicator would be awesome. Should not be hard to do once everything else has been done. Christmas is take-apart-the-front-end and inspect the guages day...

Old December 24th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Wonder what kind of signal the gear indicator is looking for. Have seen these sensors for the speedo cables. Maybe one of them you could tuck up under the cluster for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
The fuel is a wire from the tank sender... don't know if it's a resistance reading or what.
Yeah, just a resistance thing. Close to 0 ohms for full, and like 100 ohms for empty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sensors.jpg (28.8 KB, 21 views)
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
Wonder what kind of signal the gear indicator is looking for.
The aftermarket gear indicators need two signals, one from the tach and one from the speedo. All they do is then figure out a ratio between the two to show the current gear selection (which is why there is often a delay until the clutch isn't fully engaged). When you first install them you click through the gears (can be done on a rearstand) to calibrate the indicator for each gear...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #12
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

The gear indicator actually looks really nice...anyone have an idea where to get the adapter since that ebay selling is over with?
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #13
Dameyon
Dameyon

Name: Damian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 R

FOR KKIM: Wondering is a zx-6 guage cluster could fit on the 09 250r...if not how is the best way to fill the gap that would be left when installing those koso guages..
Dameyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #14
kkim

Sorry, Damian... can't help you with that one at all.

...but, welcome to the forum!

Old June 18th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #15
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Go to a hotrod shop. Have them show you their digital gauge section. Stare in wonderment as all your questions are answered.

They should have all of the mechanical to digital conversion pieces you need. You could also probably add a few do-dadds we don't already have like oil pressure, engine temp, coolant temp, intake air temp, etc...

Have fun!!
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Dameyon
Dameyon

Oh thanks KKIM....i'm glad I found this forum..you guys really know what's going on....I'm gonna have alot of questions for you soon lol...unfortunately I had my first fall so I'm recovering now from a hairline fracture in my foot and two dislocated fingers...the bike got some damage to the left handle bar and the back fin.. insurance is gonna take care of it....so as soon as I get it back ..i had ordered two blue bulbs to install the first thing I'm gonan wana know is how do I change um myself? I think I know where to look to get to um but do I really have to remove the fairing to get to them?

Old June 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #17
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Sorry about the bad news.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #18
Dameyon
Dameyon

lol thanks TNninja Girl..I've been told it's all part of the game though..I posted pic of how the fingers were lol..I can laugh bout it now but that was some pain..not at the time really was more uncomfortable but the pain comes when the doc's fixing the problem..the injections to numb the hand before he pulled um back into place sigh n then afterwards when it wore off..sigh..