Riding in the Cold!!

Link to original page on YouTube.

g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #2
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Thats great! THough I can't say I would do what he did.

Old January 4th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #3
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

CaptCrash is definitely a character. Check out all of his vids at:

http://www.youtube.com/CaptCrashIdaho

Old January 4th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #4
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Awesome video lol
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #5
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Video been removed by author... i was looking for some cold weather riding advice!
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #6
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Fill in the blank:

I ____ riding in the cold, because it makes my _______ _______ .

Old September 20th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by binlagin View Post
Video been removed by author... i was looking for some cold weather riding advice!
I rode cross-country in December with no heated/cold-weather gear. I can't say I'd do it again with the same inadequately-equipped setup, but I can give you my coping advice: Before you get frostbitten, pull over and USE THE EXHAUST TO WARM YOUR HANDS! I had to do this frequently.

I had silk liners and latex gloves (to keep them dry/insulated) under my counter-intuitively ventilated riding gloves. They were made for protection, not warmth... some cheap short Tourmaster (IIRC) gloves with hard parts over the knuckles and little screened "eyelets" on the fingers.

I had a Tourmaster Flex mesh jacket with an optional insulated liner and an outer rain layer. I also had Joe Rocket mesh pants. I wore T-shirts, jeans, socks, and boxer-briefs underneath. Basically, nothing cold weather-specific.

I had SEVERLY chapped skin on my face from the cold dry air blowing around in my helmet. The dead skin flaked for weeks. There seemed to be a good petroleum-jelly based product at Wal-Mart for severely damaged/chapped skin. I wish I could remember the name, but you could probably find it. I'd tell you for sure if it worked or not but I was going to try until my sister wouldn't listen to me and returned it to get me some "good" moisturizer. Women think they know about these things when they have different goals. I wasn't looking for a non-greasy daily moisturizer. *sigh* When will females realize that most guys care about the utility; fixing the problem with the strongest treatment and then never using it again? Regardless, it looked more like a medication; certainly more appropriate than some premium daily moisturizer.

Before the trip I stopped shaving for a couple months hoping that a beard could help with the cold in the helmet. It looked hideous, got a few laughs, and couldn't really be shaved right away due to the severely chapped skin. If you don't already have one and look good in it, don't bother.

I now have a windskirt I picked up at Cycle Gear. I wish I was able to test it on the trip. It seems like it needs to be glued to the helmet though... eventually it stops sticking. Rubber Cement would probably be a good non-permanent way to do it.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

I have ridden with insulated motorcycle gloves... Makes a big difference but they are clumsy compared to summer gloves.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Electric jacket liner FTMFW.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #10
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Ok heres my exp in cold weather here in a nice cold state.. MICHIGAN!

The first things to get cold and frosty are
Hands,
Neck/Chin, (maybe alil face, depends on your helmet)
Knee Caps (if your riding in jeans like i did the other morning to work... at 34F)

Now to help with cold weather riding (IMO 34F-50F)

**Assuming you have decent motorcycle gear, these things are very Helpful items to use with your current Gear for Cold weather riding at those above temps!
Remember WIND is your biggest factor, if wind or cold air, cant blow onto naked skin, or onto mildly covered areas, then you should be good.**

Hands - Wear a good insulated glove like Alpinestars Drystar, making sure you have them "1 size bigger" so that a nice pair of Cold killers gloves will fit underthem with still some finger wiggle room!

Tight fitting gloves will cut off blood circulation and make your hands cold, faster!

Neck/Chin - Try wearing Cold Killers Hood over your head (Like a Ninja) under your Helmet! I have one and BOY did it work wonders during a 3 hour non-stop ride last year to my cousins!!!

Also a good Jacket that has a High storm collar would help with Wind blowing onto your neck/chin and down your chest! ***SEE PIC BELOW***

Knee/Legs - Riding Pants over jeans works well. Some Pants have zip in liners that help reduce air/rain going through the MESH Textile pants!
*I have Scorpion Deuce Riding Pants*
Ive even rode last year in 36-38F temps in the morning to work, with ONLY Shorts underneath, but also zipped in the "Airguard liner" to cut the cold wind blowing through the Pant onto my naked legs!
If its possible, wear jeans under your riding pants, WITH the Airguard liner zipped in!

Well hope this helps someone!

Links to Items I use and mentioned.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...3ACold+Killers

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4097

**Notice in the 1 PIC, how HIGH the Collar comes up to keep your Neck Warm***
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scorpion_commander_black_3_LG.jpg (207.1 KB, 3 views)
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #11
g21-30

I have ridden in single digits with and without heated gear. Definitely recommend doing it with heated gear (glove liners and jacket liner). Our bike's electrical system can handle these two items easily. When I didn't use the heated gear, I looked like the Michelin man!

I wear a polypro balaclava under the helmet. A long sleeve polypro shirt, the heated liner, another polypro shirt over the line (this is to keep the liner against the body), and then my power trip jacket.

On my legs, I wear polypro long underwear, bohn armor shorts, alpinestars shin/knee armor, and xelement leather pants

Feet are kept warm with wireless heated sole inserts and wool socks with Sidi Rain boots.

Hands, in addition to the heated liners, I wear gauntlet insulated leather gloves.

Old May 17th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #12
ScorpionNinja

Sam,

That sounds like enuff under gear to equip a Platoon of men!
If temps are single digits.... there is least 8" of SNOW here!
Id never try to ride my bike in any temps like that.

Late this Fall, I plan on getting a set of Heated Hand Grips! Ill shop around, but so far ive found these from our friends at:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4613/704/

Old May 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #13
g21-30

Dave,

Did I tell you that I hate to be cold?

Good luck in your quest!

Old May 20th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #14
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I've ridden down to 22°F fairly successfully

The only problem I had was my hands. I had insulated cheap riding gloves, they were ok to about 30mph but at highway speeds I could only go a few miles before having to stop and thaw. I got some Drystars later but they weren't any better.

The rest of me was fine, insulated leather jacket over a turtleneck over a regular long sleeve shirt, with a rain jacket over all of that because the neck velcro'd tight. I had a full-face with normal (not heated) visor and a balaclava (not to be confused with baklava, hehehe) for the top end and insulated riding pants over jeans and Teknic armored boots. Only one pair of socks but my feet never got cold.

I'm going heated gloves this winter for sure; with LED conversions I've freed up enough wattage to run heated gloves full time.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2010, 10:40 AM   #15
ScorpionNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
The only problem I had was my hands. I had insulated cheap riding gloves, they were ok to about 30mph but at highway speeds I could only go a few miles before having to stop and thaw. I got some Drystars later but they weren't any better.

The rest of me was fine, insulated leather jacket over a turtleneck over a regular long sleeve shirt, with a rain jacket over all of that because the neck velcro'd tight. I had a full-face with normal (not heated) visor and a balaclava (not to be confused with baklava, hehehe) for the top end and insulated riding pants over jeans and Teknic armored boots. Only one pair of socks but my feet never got cold.

I'm going heated gloves this winter for sure; with LED conversions I've freed up enough wattage to run heated gloves full time.
Well, like I said...

When you get UNDER TEMPs of 34F (ish) in general, Electric HEATED GEAR IS THE ONLY THING thats gonna keep you Warm during a Long ride!

IMO, I wont bother riding in those TEMPs, unless its a very short ride, but then its NOT WORTH getting Dressed and Geared up, warming the bike up for 15mins...

I plan on getting Heated Hand-Grips installed on my bike late Sept. 2010, so Ill be ready for Fall!

It also helps that I work outside for a Living, so my Body handles the colder Temps better then ppl that work in warm offices in Fall/Late fall!!!

Old January 10th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #16
Palero
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk GT 1989 EX250F (Died from left-turning car) 2011 EX250J (Died from SAME left-turning car)

Video removed by user!
Palero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:51 AM   #17
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Update: early in 2011 I rode in 16F with lots of freeway at 75+. My setup was the same as before except I had heated glove and an extra pair of socks, wool. With that setup I can ride indefinitely without issue. In fact, the biggest problem I had was getting my non-FI bike started and warmed up. At those temps I have to throw a tarp over the bike with a heat lamp inside.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you might have luck switching to a thinner oil in that cold of weather