ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old February 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #1
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

DIY: Puig Double Bubble

Even though Kelly just posted his DIY, I had taken pictures earlier to do mine, so I"m going to do it anyway!

Like others have said before, it seems really simple, only 4 bolts, and for the most part it is, but there is one hitch... the nut wells...

I purchased, well my hubby purchased for me, the Puig Double Bubble in Dark Smoke from motorcycle superstore, here:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...50R-Parts.aspx
they had a good price, AND free shipping

open the bag and you'll find these parts... there are some really brief instructions on the back, but really, they're pretty much useless...

Here's the before shot - notice the four screws, that's all you need to remove to take off the stock windscreen...

These are the screws that you remove from the windscreen

the upper screws (above) are shorter than the lower screws (below)
make sure you don't lose the nylon washers either...

Now you can gently remove the stock windscreen by sliding it up along the cowling towards the rear of the bike...

This is the fun part - we need to remove the rubber grommets - I chose to use a pair of needle nosed pliers...

I squeezed them together, and then gently pushed through the opening from the front side

And here they are

Then I sat down to put them into the Puig screen - I squeezed the sides together and pushed it part of the way through....

Then I used the pliers to pull through from the front a little, and then push through from the back... I was trying to be very careful so that I didn't tear them or damage the windscreen

Then I started installing... I loosely tightened the lower screws first...

And then the uppers...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Puig Double Bubble - ninjette.org.pdf (3.29 MB, 9 views)
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #2
noche_caliente

A few shots of the almost-complete install...

Then to add the trim - I started on the right corner and pushed it around to the left... you can see that there is some excess material that needs to be trimmed - a utility knife made quick work of that...

And a couple of shots of the finished product!

And a couple of comparison shots...

Since I was actually rather fond of the Kawi decal on the front, I'm talking to Chris to see about getting a new one

All I can say about this pic is BOY was that garage floor cold when I went to take this pic!

That's pretty much it - even with taking pictures for this, the actual install went faster than getting the pics online and doing this write-up, in which time Kelly beat me to it...
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #3
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

The Puig bubble extends farther down to the edge than the ZG , I got a Puig myself ZG wasn't even an option when i purchased. But i like the Puig alot more

Extra wellnuts ,http://www.motosport.com/street/sear...goryName~Sport

Last futzed with by CRXTrek; February 14th, 2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: add link to replacement wellnuts
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #4
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

well done

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #5
kkim

Thanks. I like the rounder radiusing of the curves on the Puig.

At least people have a choice of which they prefer and with the detailed pics of both of the DIYs they shouldn't have any install problems.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

PUIG .
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/posted to DIY sticky

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #8
jpnfrk
Her name is Itoshii

Name: Nani

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

It looks really nice!!

Old February 15th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #9
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I also like the shape of the Puig more. Good job and thanks for the repetitive DIY!
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:17 PM   #10
Jester
ninjette.org member

Name: Vincent

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

I just put mine on but got hit by a car 15 minutes after I installed it lol So I haven't been able to see how the windscreen feels. Is it a vast improvement on the highway for the wind?
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #11
noche_caliente

Oh my goodness Vince! Are you ok??? You're a_ninja_jester over on kf, yes? I'm sorry to hear about the accident!
As far as highway speeds, I was going 70 indicated this morning, and it was hitting somewhere around the top of my visor instead of full-on my chest, made for a much more comfortable ride!

Old June 24th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #12
Ken
"Is that the Ninjer 1000?

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Quarter Liter Kawi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just put mine on but got hit by a car 15 minutes after I installed it lol So I haven't been able to see how the windscreen feels. Is it a vast improvement on the highway for the wind?

It helps quite a bit. This is why I took mine off for the summer season so I can have more wind blow on my body to keep cool.

Old June 24th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #13
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Yup, makes all the difference in the world. I'm 6 foot, and with the stock screen the wind hits me mid chest. With a double bubble, it hit me on the top part of the helmet. If I tuck in tight, it goes right over me completely. Where it matters most, though, is that it calms down the slip stream at top speed, so those over the shoulder lane checks at speed don't turn into a whiplash event!

Old June 24th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #14
Jester
ninjette.org member

Name: Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Oh my goodness Vince! Are you ok??? You're a_ninja_jester over on kf, yes? I'm sorry to hear about the accident!
As far as highway speeds, I was going 70 indicated this morning, and it was hitting somewhere around the top of my visor instead of full-on my chest, made for a much more comfortable ride!
Yes that's me from KF! And yes I am bummed out about the accident but I'll post up the story for others to benefit from the accident experience and knowledge that others may not have in dealing with the insurance, lawyers or police etc. I'm mostly mad that it ruined my weekend ride plans (I was supposed to go on that Sunday ride up the Angeles Crest Highway) and I had bought rearsets to install too ughhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
...so those over the shoulder lane checks at speed don't turn into a whiplash event!
So true!
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #15
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

and +1 for Puig

Installed the dark smoke double bubble today and I could feel the difference just coming off my driveway. Like everyone else, instead of hitting me square in the chest, the wind is now hitting somewhere towards the middle/lower-middle of the helmet (sitting upright). And if I tuck down just a bit I feel no wind. Tuck down a bit more and I feel like I'm in a cage with just an echo of the wind rushing around me.

One thing I noticed is at high speed leans the front end seems to be less planted. It'll ride like I'm on a bumpy road - nothing unmanageable, however. I'll be trying different tire pressures to see if I can alleviate/resolve this. And top speed seems to have dropped from 175 indicated to 165 indicated (just means it'll get you in less trouble )

Either way, this and shimming the carbs are now the two best mods I can recommend.

But without the wind, though, I gotta see how hot it's gonna get. So far it's been mild weather.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #16
lunerkid
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Would you know what size wellnuts the 08 models use for their windscreen?
Would the wellnuts that CRXTrek posted work for both the top and bottom windscreen, since I know the top has a shorter screw than the bottom?

I noticed when I installed mine earlier today that the rubber part of the wellnuts were pretty worn away =\.
lunerkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #17
lux
ninjette.org guru

Name: lux

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Hi all,

I tried installing the Puig Double Bubble but the top holes don't line up. The rounded tabs for the top holes barely reach the edge of the cowl. The bottom holes line up. Nothing I can do about this, except return it, correct?

Thank you for any assistance.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #18
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

^ Did the screen go between the fairing and the black cowling under side.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #19
lux
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
^ Did the screen go between the fairing and the black cowling under side.
Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure it did. I'm going to try again. The width looks like the comparison picture noche_caliente posted in this thread (left picture), so I guess it should fit. Definitely doesn't look like kkim's comparison picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0202.JPG (24.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05094-1.JPG (56.1 KB, 16 views)

Old September 7th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #20
alfmoonspace
ninjette.org member

Name: Idris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
Hi all,

I tried installing the Puig Double Bubble but the top holes don't line up. The rounded tabs for the top holes barely reach the edge of the cowl. The bottom holes line up. Nothing I can do about this, except return it, correct?

Thank you for any assistance.
Same issue, have an 09 and I have to bend the windscreen to even barely over lap the holes (shows you how far off they are).

Lining up the windscreen exactly the same as where the stock one was.

Any help?
alfmoonspace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #21
lux
ninjette.org guru

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions. I eventually got mine on, but it doesn't fit well. The bottom curve is not evenly spaced from the sides of the cowl, and there's a gap between the cowl and the windscreen on one side at the top. I took off the windscreen to do something and the bolthole in the cowl is now stretched.

Politely, unsatisfied with the quality and will not purchase another Puig windscreen (or product). I should have returned it. Hope you figure yours out.

Old September 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #22
alfmoonspace
ninjette.org member

Name: Idris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ZX6R

I wonder if we just got screwed or if that is the design of Puig? Emailed them for a replacement unit, lets see if they tell me off or not lol.
alfmoonspace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #23
plutonium
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Plutonium

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Thanks for the DIY write up. I just got a Puig windscreen and it doesn't really align with the '09 EX250's holes as someone has brought up. Nonetheless I just kinda forced the way in (gently) and it worked for me.

However, I have one broken rubber fastener and one missing. I didn't know better when I pulled the stock windscreen out. (I found this tutorial after I installed it, that's why).
Thankfully, I found this page on this forum:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=197010

There's a hidden link that someone posted and it leads straight to the rubber fastener page on bikebolts:
http://www.bikebolts.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=206

Just wanted to repost these up here so that when other ninja riders run into the same problem as I did, they wouldn't have to search all over.
plutonium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #24
J322A_ZX2R
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoonspace View Post
Same issue, have an 09 and I have to bend the windscreen to even barely over lap the holes (shows you how far off they are).

Lining up the windscreen exactly the same as where the stock one was.

Any help?
I had the same problem when installing mine. Slid the screen in to place lining up the lower holes, but the top holes were a fair bit out and I had to stretch the screen / front fairing together to get the bolts in. Upon closer inspection I realized the screen was pushing against the black "speedo surround" plastic and wasn't in the gap properly. I took the screen out again, loosened the larger fairing bolts (opposite to the mirrors), slid the screen back into place and the holes all lined up 100%. Re-tightened all the bolts and all was sweet .

I'm a little concerned that all the initial "stretching" may have damaged the screen somehow...
Anyone else have two "rough lines" either side of the bubble, only noticeable when looking through the screen from a tucked riding position? They take a bit of looking at the right angle to see.

Cheers.
J322A_ZX2R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #25
J322A_ZX2R
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r SE

^

Hmmm, on closer inspection it appears to be what looks like an overspray? It's on both sides of the bubble "crease".
A result of the production process I assume and the "optical clarity" issue I've read about?

Anyhoo...
J322A_ZX2R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #26
noche_caliente

Old March 29th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #27
justinocean
Kawasaki Sith Lord

Name: Alex P. Keaton

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Thumbs up

Thanks. I like the rounder radiusing of the curves on the Puig.

Agreed. After tons of evaluating online I went with the Puig. WIll be installing it tonight on my 2009. The curves ARE more natural and symmetrical...the ZG seems to "narrow up" the front end and make it look too skinny. The ZG Corsa model was a close 2nd choice. If the Puig DB doesn't deflect enough wind I might still get the Corsa..
justinocean is offline   Reply With Quote