ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 29th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #1
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Tinted Visors vs. Sun Glasses

OK troops time to get your opinions. As the days get longer and the sun is up more of the riding time, which is the better option; clear visor and sun glasses or a tinted visor? If the tinted visor, does the color make a difference?

Granted there are a couple of helmets out there that have internal visors (Nolan and Scorpion) and a company that is working on an electronic add-on that will be killer when then get it on the market and it will work with other visors. But baring those options it's either sun glasses or a tinted visor for now.

Old March 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I've always preferred sunglasses + clear visor. This way in case you get caught after dark you're not stuck with a dark visor, and/or the need to carry a spare clear visor on the bike. I also tend to ride with the visor at least partially up a good portion of the time, and I like having close-fitting sunglasses over my eyes on the off-chance a bug or something else make a direct hit through the visor opening.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #3
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Well you've got the exo-700 as well, so changing visors literally takes 5 seconds. I have the dark smoke for mine but if I know I might be caught out in the dark, I'll pack along my clear visor or tuck it into my jacket. Even if you get caught unprepared, it only gets bad if its raining at night, otherwise streetlights are more than enough to see through the dark smoke. Plus IIRC, scorpion also makes a light smoke that you might wanna give a go.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #4
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I think I have the best of both worlds with my helmet.
http://www.hjc-helmets.com/product/SUL576601-ATT.html
I have an HJC helmet with a clear visor put you could slide down little sunglasses that are built into the helmet. This was one of the main things that led me to buy this helmet as I live in florida(the sunshine state). I would highly recommend this helmet to anyone in search of a new one.

Yet I would agree with Alex and if your helmet doesn't have this function a clear visor with sunglasses underneath is the best alternative.
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
Even if you get caught unprepared, it only gets bad if its raining at night, otherwise streetlights are more than enough to see through the dark smoke.
I'm not sure I agree with this. I've been caught out at night before with a light smoke visor, and it has been terrifying, even with ambient streetlights. I can't imagine having to use a dark smoke visor. Sure, you could see enough to keep the bike on the road, but I know I wasn't able to see the differences in road surface, any somewhat hidden obstacles, and I wasn't able to judge distances nearly as well as I would have liked to. Next time your driving a car at night, put on some dark sunglasses for just a minute and see how much it affects your ability to see into the dark night illuminated by headlights alone.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #6
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Clear Visor + sunglasses myself. Mine are brown tinted $14 sunglasses. That way if I loose them I am not at a complete loss & I can wear them when I don't have my helmet on. Otherwise I wouldn't have eye protection when wandering around

Old March 29th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #7
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

I don't know, it's just never been a problem for me. I remember one night it took me awhile to realize I forgot to change out the visor. And when I did, I realized that there wasn't much of a difference. Though maybe in my area the streetlights are more plentiful/brighter? That and I don't think the Scorpion dark smoke is as dark as others.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #8
motorcycle_munge
ninjette.org member

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Right now I use a clear visor and sunglasses. I have ordered a new helmet with the flip down sunglasses. It's supposed to come in next week, so I will update you on which one I think is best.
motorcycle_munge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #9
kkim

photochromic tint prescription lens under a clear visor when I know there is a chance I'll be out after dark. If not, I'll run with a light smoked visor for daytime only riding.

Why is it that no one makes a photochromic visor?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #10
OldGuy
Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
photochromic tint prescription lens under a clear visor when I know there is a chance I'll be out after dark. If not, I'll run with a light smoked visor for daytime only riding.

Why is it that no one makes a photochromic visor?
Ah but there is oh wise one - AkumaHelets

But with the new 700 I'm not going to go off and buy another helmet - well not just yet

Old March 29th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #11
kkim

ya, I had seen that before... I guess my noob question should have been, why isn't there a company that makes photochromic replacement visors for the more popular brands/models of helmets?

I'm sure there is a market for them. Maybe some sort of problem getting the photochromic process to work economically on a large piece of plastic like a visor?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #12
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Clear visor plus Oakley "M" sunglasses
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #13
OldGuy
Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Clear visor plus Oakley "M" sunglasses
I've got a pair of Rudy Project glasses from by bicycle riding that I'm using. The bows on my Oakley Square Wires hurt like hell when I try to get them past the temple area of the helmet - (mutter, mutter, @#$^$, etc. )

Old March 29th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #14
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

I myself have a helmet with an iridium visor and it is great. But after having to take care of the visor and polish it and make sure it doesnt make any contact with things that will disturb my view, I now have a light smoke visor and sunglasses (polarized ) so at night I still have the security of people not being able to see the whites of my eyes. And it is very lightly tinted and affects my sight minimally. 98% visibility.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #15
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

I just use sunglasses under a clear visor, though I am looking at getting a reflective tinted visor, but it is down on the list...

AreaP Quiet Core Carbon Fibre : 8000k HIDs : Dynojet Jet kit : Double Bubble Windscreen
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #16
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

I wear glasses, with Polar Optics clip ons. Polar Optics makes clip ons in a wide variety of shapes/sizes for a good fit on your glasses. When the sun goes down, I just take them off and stow them in the tank bag. They really increase sharpness, etc too.

http://www.polaroptics.com/Clips_OrderForm.htm

My helmet shield is clear, except for the bug guts
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #17
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
I've got a pair of Rudy Project glasses from by bicycle riding that I'm using. The bows on my Oakley Square Wires hurt like hell when I try to get them past the temple area of the helmet - (mutter, mutter, @#$^$, etc. )
I forgot that I had sunglasses on in my MSF class and took the helmet off. You guessed it...snapped an ear stem. Fortunately, I had a spare pair. I wear a balaclava in the winter and slide the stems in after putting on the helmet. Fit perfectly on the outside of the balaclava.

I'm considering getting these Oakleys:

g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #18
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I actually don't wear sunglasses even though i have a clear visor. I ride in the night a bit, but I've never had issues with sunlight, i just don't use sunglasses period. I have heard, however, that the amber lenses are an excellent middle ground. As soon as I can ride again I'm gonna get myself one and see how it goes...
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #19
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

hmm...my first reply got lost in cyberspace...

i use a mirror tinted visor with a pair of sunglasses. not quite as dark as one might think. i always have a pair of clear glasses and flip the visor up if i'm flying at night...am using an amber visor for evening riding...less reflective than the clear shield and am able to see well enuff ahead in the dark.

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #20
Moo-wasaki
ninjette.org member

Name: Yes

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I found that wearing yellow tinted glasses during dusk and night riding help a lot. Like shooting range glasses.

Try it out.

On a side note. I was wearing my polarized fishing glasses while driving during the winter a few years ago. I ended up in a wind blown snow whiteout. Visibility was about 10ft. I took off my sunglasses and visibility dropped to zero.

I quickly put the polarized glasses back on and was able to drive out of it with clean shorts. When you are doing about 55 and drive into this with cars coming at you and it gets scary. You can't stop for fear of being rear ended.

They help in fog too!
Moo-wasaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #21
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

I've got my clear visor on my jacket(a pocket built in for the visor) and tinted visor(smoked) on my helmet. It takes me 30 seconds(changing slowly) to change them out at night.

I prefer smoked during the bright day light...kind of like polarizing filter for cameras. Plus, if you happen to make a mistake(i.e. letting go of clutch too early...), people around you can't see your face.

But, I have ridden at night with smoked shield. Not as scary if you ride your bike daily...

Old March 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #22
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I don't know. I've had zero issues with my smoked visor at night. I've had it on my first helmet on my first bike (for 2 years). I just got it on my new Shoei RF1000. I love having the smoked visor. I hate wearing sunglasses while riding. I'd rather carry my clear shield, which in Houston, I do not use it.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #23
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

Name: Angelo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r, black, carbon fiber full exhaust...2000 toyota 4runner

will mirror visors be an issue at night ( where i live there is no street lights lol )
ajaygraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #24
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

I have a clear visor with a Fog City strip along the upper edge, this way I can lean my head forward a bit at dawn and dusk since I am riding in the sun at both times of day. It acts like the sun visor in your car.

I also have a light smoke visor that I use with my Rx sunglasses. I always have both pair with me since I need my clear glasses for general stuff and my sunglasses for distance. In the past, having a light smoke was a problem, but lights here in town are enough that I don't have a depth perception issue.

If I know I am going to be doing extensive riding at night, I put the clear shield with the Fog City strip in place.

An old trick was to take Black Gaffers tape and put it along the upper edge of the visor so that it had the same effect as the Fog City strip, but of course, it totally blocked your vision, where the Fog City strip is like Limo Tint.
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #25
Jiu Jitsu Player
Live 2 Ride Forced 2 Work

Motorcycle(s): 2008 RED 250r

I use a chrome tinted visor on my Scorpion 700. Its dark enough for daytime use and light enough for night time. I can easily make out terrain changes in the asphalt and potholes and other road type haqards with it on. I haven't had any problems visibility wise at night with it, but then again I guess it would also depend on your eyesight. I've got perfect 20/20 and never needed glasses or contacts.

www.7milesdown.com
Jiu Jitsu Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #26
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaygraci View Post
will mirror visors be an issue at night ( where i live there is no street lights lol )
It depends on you, your eyes and other factors. You may just need to give it a try and see how you like it.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #27
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Player View Post
I've got perfect 20/20 and never needed glasses or contacts.

Old March 29th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #28
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaygraci View Post
May not be a problem for you, but it might irritate your local Law Enforcement...

Old March 29th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #29
Kolya1981
Generic User Title

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Green 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Slate 2009 Triumph StreetTriple R

+1 Clear Visor with Sunglasses. Usually wear Oakley's or my mountain biking glasses depending on how dark I want them, but they are both impacted rated so I can keep the visor partially up on hot days and not worry.

Old March 29th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #30
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I wear a dark smoke or iridium visor and always carry a clear visor in a Shield Sak. It's a pouch you sling over your shoulder and wear inside your jacket that holds the spare visor. It weighs nothing (the shield curves around your ribs so you hardly know it's there), but it's saved my ass a few times when I was too busy riding and got caught out after dark.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #31
CaliGirl
Curiosity is a Killer

Name: CG

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I wear a dark smoke or iridium visor and always carry a clear visor in a Shield Sak. It's a pouch you sling over your shoulder and wear inside your jacket that holds the spare visor. It weighs nothing (the shield curves around your ribs so you hardly know it's there), but it's saved my ass a few times when I was too busy riding and got caught out after dark.

I do the same....

Old March 29th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #32
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

I do that when I can. but I've never gone clear + sunglasses as I don't have any that fit well with my helmet on. Plus I like the look of the dark smoke shield/visor I have. Sometimes I still use the dark at night if I didn't pack the clear. It's lit pretty well in my city and now, I have HIDs to help me see better at night
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #33
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

I use a mirror tinted visor. I don't know exactly what they put on it, but it works really well for dual timeframe riding. It works well enough that I'm not blinded by sunlight during the day, but at night it doesn't block hardly any light. It's kinda wierd. If it's not a direct light (I.E. a streetlight on the ground) it doesn't make much difference. I don't really know how to explain it, but I don't see more than a 1-3% difference in visibility at night. My hair is also a little longer than most guys and it gets pulled really easily and badly by sunglasses trying to get them inside. Anybody else with long hair have this problem?

Old March 30th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #34
NICUNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Trista

Motorcycle(s): '08 EX650R Green Kawasaki ninja

I find wearing sunglasses in my helmet give me a headache. Not very pleasant for riding. So I have an HJC that I can swap out the visor in a couple of seconds. I'm also "Sun Blind", I need the tint and really like the dark smoke. But I've never had a dark smoke visor, either with the HJC or Scorpion that I was able to see with at night. I always swap them out at sunset.
NICUNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #35
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

I use an HJC helmet with the built in flip down sunshield. But I would think if you dont plan to do a lot of night riding, just get a tinted visor, you get better peripheral vision(my experience) without sunglasses on than with).
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #36
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I wear both dark visor and sunglasses. I'm double cool though!

Old March 30th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #37
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycle_munge View Post
Right now I use a clear visor and sunglasses. I have ordered a new helmet with the flip down sunglasses. It's supposed to come in next week, so I will update you on which one I think is best.
You will love it. I don't think I'll ever buy another helmet that doesn't have the inner tinted shield. I used to carry the extra shield with me when I went on longer trips and had a bag, but there were a couple times when I was out longer than I expected and had to ride in the dark with the dark tint visor. It wasn't too fun especially if you aren't in town.

I also wear glasses which is one of the reasons I didn't just use the clear visor with sunglasses.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #38
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
My hair is also a little longer than most guys and it gets pulled really easily and badly by sunglasses trying to get them inside. Anybody else with long hair have this problem?

Nope, never had that problem, wish my hair was still that long, but extended stays in hospitals means some sacrifices.

(Ward Warehouse Snow Drop, 1997 or 1998, Honolulu, HI)

Old March 30th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #39
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
...It's a pouch you sling over your shoulder and wear inside your jacket that holds the spare visor. It weighs nothing (the shield curves around your ribs so you hardly know it's there)...
^ That's pretty freakin sweet man! ^ I'm definitely going to look into getting one of those.

My jacket doesn't have a place for it, so I usually don't carry my extra clear visor with me (plus I rarely ride at night time).

Oh, and yes, I ride with a silver metallic visor on my Joe Rocket RKT101 helmet. I've never had to ride with sunglasses, and I got caught once at night with it and didn't have a single problem...not that I'm condoning riding at night with tinted visors

I used to ride with clear visor and sunglasses with my old bike all last summer, so I can relate to those who're riding that way currently. IMO, I'd much rather ride in a tinted visor.

Old March 30th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #40
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Tinted visor for me.

I usually don't ride at night.

And I feel cool and anonymous behind my tinted visor.

If I know I'm gonna be somewhere night and day, I'm a slim bitch so I can put my 2nd visor inside around the back of my suit and I can't even tell it's there.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote