Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 17th, 2014, 05:51 AM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Shapeways 3d printing

Google up Shapeways in Brooklyn NY.
mOST OF US HAVE AT LEAST HEARD OF 3 DIMENSIONAL PRINTING AND AT THIS POINT the process and materials are evolving so there's more that you can't do with it, than you can. At this point a lot of what they do is limited to 1-off, "novelty" stuff,,,,this is the process that they use to "print" human ears and some small body parts that need to be replaced......pretty much and with definite limitations...if you can imagine it, draw it in a way that the machine can understand ( CAD)....it can be made.
Unlike machining...this is an additive process, not reductive.
Unlike molding, the materials are not shaped but "grown" to a shape...it's impressive and the limits on the process are being overcome in response to demand.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 06:11 AM   #2
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

@alex.s is already using this technology and so is @choneofakind. I picked up a 3d printer myself recently and I'm still coming to terms on how to use it. There's quiet a bit of a learning curve, but it's a rewarding experience. I plan on printing a Gopro mount to mount in place of my mirror.

Old July 17th, 2014, 07:02 AM   #3
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

does @alex.s or @choneofakind have a 3d scanner to compliment their 3d printer? Curiosity compels me
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #4
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I've gotten to use the 3D printer at school to print out some stuff I designed on AutoCAD. Still a pretty new technology, but there are some really cool things already being made with them. It will be interesting to see where the technology goes.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i use an xbox kinect to do 3d scanning. for awhile i had my profile pic as a 3d scan of me

Old July 17th, 2014, 08:20 AM   #6
GreatScott
Virgin Blood

Name: GreatScott

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Still a pretty new technology
I use to work for a company that printed prototype parts for Honda, Raytheon, JBL, Boston Tech etc... back in 2000. Nothing new about the technology but the innovations in medium and overall cost have been pretty insane. Our smallest SLA machine was a million dollars and the resin was $5 per cubic inch. Now art students are buying nylon printers to be used in their dorm. Crazy.
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #7
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yes, we have a scanner. It's pretty impressive when it's been calibrated correctly
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #8
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Cool

I bought something from Shapeway a few months ago.

If you're into retro video-gaming, I have a TurboGrafx-16 console with something called a Turbo EverDrive - a programmable cart that you can download ROMs onto. The EverDrive is just a small PCB with a few ICs soldered onto it. I wanted some kind of cover to protect it, and I found a seller on Shapeway selling a 3D plastic piece that snaps onto the board and protects the ICs.

It cost me about $12 plus shipping, and the piece arrived about 10 days after I ordered it (that includes going through Customs at the Canadian border).

I snapped the piece on and it fit perfectly. The material is a hard plastic of course, and has kind of a grainy, almost sandy finish to the surfaces. Although it is a bit pricey for essentially a hunk of plastic, it came out exactly as specified, and I would deal with Shapeway again.

You can see the plastic piece in the photo below. My only regret is that the choice of colours was very limited, and I wish I'd picked something other than purple!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TG16_TED.jpg (51.8 KB, 3 views)

Old July 17th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #9
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

It's a fascinating application of processes and materials that already exist but at this time, nobody has found the "killer app"....the way to use it that's gonna make a lot of people a lot of money. It could very well go to sleep for years. You know...the romans had concrete ( or was it cement) over a thousand years ago and it wasnt brought back to widespread use until maybe the 17th or 18th century. It seems like there's so much that can be done with this but at this point...what?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote