Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 19th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
2 Up riding

who here has rode 2 Up on the Ninja 250 and how is the handling changed and does it bog the engine down?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #2
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

been wondering the same. is it more clutch slippage or many more revs to get moving from a stop. how about the rear shock, does the preload on its stiffest help?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #3
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

2 up is alright (08 250) but for me it takes the fun out of riding. It doesn't bog the engine down, just kinda bogs the ride down. Your gonna need more room to stop or brake sooner than you normally would and if you're not smooth on the clutch your passenger will amplify any lurching movement. For me this means my wifes helmet smacking into the back of my noggin.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

Hate riding 2up on the Ninja. It works but...it ain't pretty. It's just small, and 2 people on it was really nerve wracking for me where it's not on the 600s.
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

The new 08+ Ninja is physically very similar in size and weight to the 600 class bikes, but the added weight of adding a passenger on the 250 GREATLY alters the HP/Weight ratio, making it handle like a dog. It can be done, and gotten used to, but with the relatively narrow margin of error in the HP/weight only 1 up and ability to get out of trouble easily/quickly with it, I feel that extra you have is used up right to the edge of 'safe' for me when adding a passenger. ESPECIALLY with the crappy IRC tires that don't roll over and stick well.

If you regularly ride 2 up, you'll want to adjust the rear shock preload, and gas mileage and brake pad life will suffer somewhat.

With a passenger, slow is smooth, smooth is safe, safe is cool.

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #6
backinthesaddleagain

thanks, maybe i will buy that seat cowl now.

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #7
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
thanks, maybe i will buy that seat cowl now.
you should buy mine
has some scratches and 2 chips from flying off the bike.
$30 + shipping?
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

2 up will definitely make your bike feel bogged down. Having done it on the 06 and the 09, I can say the new gen is a better ride with the lower power range. But the old gens had grab rails and a bigger/comfier seat allowing the passenger to sit further back and avoid the constant helmet-on-helmet. To mostly avoid it now, though, it's better to have the passenger keep her head to one side.

Otherwise, 2 up is fine as long as you plan for longer acceleration/braking times, keep it to short trips (uncomfortable riding position with the raised bars), and have a good passenger that'll lean with you and not fidget while on the bike. Ask azia lol she's the expert, her and her bf used to 2 up all the time on the 08 and they used to keep up just fine.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #9
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

I've carried passengers on the old Ninja and on the new Ninja. It's great if you're carrying a kid around the 35 mph neighborhood, not great if you're hauling your girlfriend on a road trip. The suspension suffers on the old bikes, and there's really not enough room on the back for an adult on the new ones. You can fit one on there, but they won't be comfortable.
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #10
NICUNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Trista

Motorcycle(s): '08 EX650R Green Kawasaki ninja

I've been the passenger and the driver riding 2 up. It is definitely not the most comfortable either way.
NICUNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #11
P1NDLESK1N
ninjette.org member

Name: Dario

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 (Sold), 2016 Z1000

I'm riding 75% of the time 2 up. Taking the girlfriend to the mall, beach, etc.

It definitely changes the ride, from a spirited pace around town, to a simple commute. Luckily I weigh in at 145ish, while shes around 105. I can imagine any more weight and the ride would flat out suck.

And without a preload adjuster I know my rear shock is crying. Especially with the road construction and railroad tracks.
P1NDLESK1N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #12
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I can't get anyone to ride with me. Must be my "Crash Club" sweat shirt.

Old June 19th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #13
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

I have carried passengers. My friend Tracy weighs about 110, a lightish passenger. Obviously, the handling is somewhat compromised, but the bike remains very stable, and still pretty flickable on twisties. I don't find it unnerving at all, at 30 mph in the city or 75 mph on the highway. I still beat all the cars off the mark. Riding home solo after dropping her off, though, the bikes feels like it could fly.

Anthony
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #14
P1NDLESK1N
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_marr View Post
... Riding home solo after dropping her off, though, the bikes feels like it could fly.

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #15
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

for me the bike handles fine with or without a passenger. of course, it handles better without one. as usual, i have to plan my stops earlier and avoid suddenly speeding up. the biggest problem my wife and i had (besides pain to her knees) was that we used to bang helmets a lot.

per my friend's advice, when we ride, i put on my icon backpack. instead of wrapping her arms around my waist, she grabs between the bag and my back. it gives us a little more of a gap and we haven't banged helmets since.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #16
P1NDLESK1N
ninjette.org member

My biggest problem is constantly having to use oven cleaner on my exhausts because of her damn boot heels.

Old June 19th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #17
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

i was riding 2 up all the time on my yamaha 50cc zuma\bws.. the ninja 250 just handles it great..enough power to dump the passenger if you catch her off guard !
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #18
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

meh, had this all written up, and then fire fox crashed, and lost it all, lol

anyhow, here is what ive experienced with different bikes riding 2 up~

so the first bikes that i rode starting about 10 years ago were semi automatic 100~125cc scooters, these are the most common here in Indonesia, they have like 5~10hp;

that's the one we have now, and we still ride to the supermarket that's around the corner and such, my gf uses it mainly to go to work and back.

these bikes are easy to maneuver, have a turning radius that unbeatable by anything sept maybe a bicycle! they are comfortable enough to ride 2 up, but totally lack the power to overtake, etc...

then my next bike was a honda tiger, this is a bike that is only available here in indonesia i think, best description would be the CB family, so this would be a CB-200cc single bore, 4 stroke, air cooled, with about 17Hp.

this is the newer model, they came out in around 1994. back then they looked almost like the old CB 500, but just smaller, and since then the frame and engine has not changed much, only the body parts have slowly morphed along in time.

here the rider and passenger sits quite comfortably, there is just enough power to pull through traffic in 2, but definitely better going solo. main problem i found with this bike is the vibration of the engine over longer rides.

then i upgraded to Kawasaki, a little ninja 150cc 2 stroke;

this was in 2007, and i was well and truly impressed with the power that only 150cc could produce. at only 125kg (the bike, not me), this bike has 30hp, and i was able to reach a top speed of 187 Km/h with the bike in stock (not sure how accurate the gauges are, never tried with a gps, but i could have gone faster, but i ran out of road). doubled up, this bike was still easy to ride, due to its ample power, and light weight. but the main problem i had with this bike was that it just did not like to cruise at lower speeds 50~90 km/h... the engine thrived with acceleration, if id just cruise at a set speed that wasn't red lining the engine, it would cough and splutter, lol

again, the vibrations were not comfortable over time. but the sitting position was better than the new 250r that we have now.

so finally, down to the newest member in our family, the 08 250r

this bike i find still has enough power when im on her with my gf, i weigh about 60kg, and shes around 55 kg, so together we are still only like 250 pounds. my beef with this bike is that there is no handle bar for the back passenger. also there is that gap between the front and back seat that causes us to sit apart a little (gonna try that backpack trick and see if that helps). as the passenger, my gf has to lean down quite far so that shes not a whole head over me when we are riding at faster speeds, and that isnt comfortable for her over time.

however finally we don't come off the bike with what feels like pins and needles due to the vibrations from the single piston engines. the new 250r is smooth, and i like that. also the bike is great to ride at any speed. i actually prefer knowing that i cant go as fast as i used to, since it was jut plain stupid/dangerous. but im still on a bike that's faster than about 90% of the bikes on the road here

with the 250r, i think it all really comes down to weight... if both driver, and passenger are light enough, the bike still behaves well. but if you put a 250~300 pound rider plus a passenger of any weight at that point.... oufff... i can imagine that the bike would have a tough time

whats important i find, is that the passenger should also have riding experience, so they know how to deal with leaning into corners. ive come off the CB200 cos i took a friend on it that has never been on a bike, and when i went to lean into a corner, he resisted the lean, and we lost traction...
wayanlam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #19
wayanlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NDLESK1N View Post
My biggest problem is constantly having to use oven cleaner on my exhausts because of her damn boot heels.
LOL.. good to know what to use, i think i have a couple light marks already from my gf brushing her shoes over the exhaust when getting off.

shes quite conscious of that though, since she likes her crocks, and doesn't want them melting to her feet!

Old June 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #20
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayanlam View Post
LOL.. good to know what to use, i think i have a couple light marks already from my gf brushing her shoes over the exhaust when getting off.

shes quite conscious of that though, since she likes her crocks, and doesn't want them melting to her feet!
your girlfriend wears crocs while riding on your motorcycle? uh oh. i think i hear the ATGATT police.

Old June 19th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #21
wayanlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
your girlfriend wears crocs while riding on your motorcycle? uh oh. i think i hear the ATGATT police.
yea well 90% of the ppl wear sandals, or even barefoot! and often no helmet... let alone proper riding gear.

here is a classic picture of a balinese family riding to or from a ceremony

at least my gf and i have proper helmets, gloves, leather jacket, long pants (not leather tho, just gets too hot...) and shoes.

found some more pictures, this is what you see here every day, every minute that your on the road :P

Last futzed with by wayanlam; June 19th, 2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: added more images

Old June 19th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #22
NaughtyusMaximus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ex250

It was riding a scooter in Indo while working that got me interested in getting a bike when I got home to Vancouver

Wayan isn't exagerating
NaughtyusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #23
backinthesaddleagain

awesome pics

Old June 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #24
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

I ride two up with my gf occasionally. The ONLY problem I have ever noticed is a huge difference in braking. Acceleration is hurt a little, but not enough to care. As far as handling, I live in S Florida where the only curves around are on and off ramps to highways, so I don't get to use the bikes handing much anyways....my roads are straight and straighter.
I will note though that I only weigh about 145 and my GF might be 100 soaking wet.

Old June 20th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #25
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1NDLESK1N View Post
wicked! I'll have to try this too. I was wondering what that damn black mark was and why it wasn't coming off with a scotchbrite pad. thanks!
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #26
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraitT View Post
I ride two up with my gf occasionally. The ONLY problem I have ever noticed is a huge difference in braking. Acceleration is hurt a little, but not enough to care. As far as handling, I live in S Florida where the only curves around are on and off ramps to highways, so I don't get to use the bikes handing much anyways....my roads are straight and straighter.
I will note though that I only weigh about 145 and my GF might be 100 soaking wet.
I've seen plenty of curves in South Beach. Maybe some glasses will help.

Old June 20th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #27
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

I've carried a lot of passengers at speed on 250s. Light passengers are easy but the 200+ pound boys really squash the back of bike down. It feels a little like you are riding a chopper, the bike steers much slower and it is easy to drag the pedals and kickstand. The engine has plenty of power as long as you keep the revs up.

AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #28
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Without context, I'm guessing you're blind, and the passenger squeezes your left and right sides so you know when and which way to turn?
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #29
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
Without context, I'm guessing you're blind, and the passenger squeezes your left and right sides so you know when and which way to turn?
I'm think he must grab the nuts to stop.

Old June 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #30
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

i weigh 220 lbs my girl might weigh 115..riding 2 up sucks and for me it kills the fun of a low powered/weight ride

Last futzed with by nate-bama; June 25th, 2009 at 06:59 PM. Reason: i cant spell
nate-bama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 09:09 PM   #31
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

(sorry this month is 2 months old)
I just rode 2 up for the first time...man IRC tires scare me. I really feel them slip around turns, even slow speed stuff. I just wanted to add in to change from IRC tires before you do any serious 2 up riding, especially anything other than city cruising. I didn't really discuss this with my passenger, as I didn't want to scare her (obviously im not about to loose rear traction or anything) but wow.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM   #32
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

man, irc tires suck for even riding solo. get some pirelli sport demons. you won't believe the difference it makes. definitely best mod i did.

Old August 21st, 2009, 10:54 PM   #33
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I will but atm i only have time to commute. so a set of sport demons would be worthless
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:15 PM   #34
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickds7 View Post
I will but atm i only have time to commute. so a set of sport demons would be worthless
Until you crash because the tires suck.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM   #35
wayanlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Until you crash because the tires suck.
i still have the standard 08 tires, and they dont seem to be THAAAT bad. i guess its because ive ridden on even worse tires, so these dont seem to be all that bad.

i can lean quite good on these, even with my gf on the back. of course any gravel, water, or oil makes sharp cornering impossible. but i would imagine that would be the case with any tire, no?

i plan to wait till these tires are used up, then switch over the some BT's im sure it will bea great improvement!

Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:35 PM   #36
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

No that is not true, good tires make a huge improvement on all surfaces, it is the first thing I intend to do if I can find a used bike that doesn't have a price that is far too high. If I were to buy a new one the stock tires would only last until I broke the motor in and needed to take it in for service.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:01 PM   #37
wayanlam

hmm... well if it didn't cost like 250~300 buks for a set of Battlax's i would have changed mine out when i got the bike, but at the time i practically spent all the money i had saved up on the bike, since i refuse to buy anything on credit.

at this point ill just use up the irc's, but believe me, i am looking forward to getting new rubbers

1st major mod will be a new exhaust from area p though. plus rejetting. after that it will be the tires. going for performance mods first, then eventually lights - HID's, integrated backlights etc etc.

Old August 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #38
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

I ride with my stock IRC's....haven't had any big problems with them at the track yet
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #39
anomolli
ninjette.org member

Name: anomolli

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
for me the bike handles fine with or without a passenger. of course, it handles better without one. as usual, i have to plan my stops earlier and avoid suddenly speeding up. the biggest problem my wife and i had (besides pain to her knees) was that we used to bang helmets a lot.

per my friend's advice, when we ride, i put on my icon backpack. instead of wrapping her arms around my waist, she grabs between the bag and my back. it gives us a little more of a gap and we haven't banged helmets since.
The backpack idea is steller! I'm not that tall, so i don't sit that far back. When my girlfriend rode with me, it felt more like she was on top of me, but with backpack in between us we have adequate spacing.

Went on a 30 minute ride twice today and she said it was awesome! KUDOS.
anomolli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #40
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

great! i am glad my situation could be of help to someone.

besides providing more of a space between our helmets, my wife feels she is able to get a better grip holding the bag and feels more secure.

on my new bike, she is slowly trying out the rear grab rails, but still prefers to keep one arm around the bag.