ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 20th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #1
kkim

New Area P Race System

Well looky see what I found on the Area P website.

Looks like Kerry and company have made good their word on a new race exhaust system that they have been developing for at least a few months now.

http://www.areapnolimits.com/product...-Race-2008.php

Very impressive numbers from what I can see.

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Very odd since I'm able to produce around the same figures without the use of a full system (sorta).
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #3
kkim

cool... get your bike over to Area P and have them put it on their dyno. Somehow I doubt the numbers will be the same as numbers will vary from dyno to dyno. did you start off with 23-24 hp stock on your dyno readings?

Old December 20th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
cool... get your bike over to Area P and have them put it on their dyno. Somehow I doubt the numbers will be the same as numbers will vary from dyno to dyno. did you start off with 23-24 hp stock on your dyno readings?
When I had the Area P full system along with an air pod it produced around 26 or 27HP. Jetting was way off. Never got to dyno the bike in stock trim.

Since then, I ditched the Area P and air pod and went with a stock airbox and a Level One slip-on with an Area P headers. There's an exhaust leak but I was able to dyno-tune it to achieve around the same figures linked in your post.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/new-gen tech? (lemme know if it needs to be in General for a reason I'm missing...)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #6
kkim

I couldn't decide where to post it (new gen, marketplace, etc.), so I stuck it in general knowing you would find an appropriate home for it.

thanks

Old December 20th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #7
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Cool he decided to go with the 18" can, he was on the fence when I picked up the bike. It's the first time I've seen it installed on my bike and seeing the dyno. It looks awesome.

FYI Kerry did say that Kawi's are notorious for having a long break in period and my bike did have low hp numbers compared to a fully broken in bike, but it was still right around average. I did try my best to get the mileage up before I dropped it off lol.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #8
kkim

lol, Cindy... I read your thread about them using your bike for testing, but it never occurred to me that the bike pictured in the webpage for the exhaust was yours.

Old December 20th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #9
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

SUPER NICE!!!

Way to go Area P!!!

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #10
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
lol, Cindy... I read your thread about them using your bike for testing, but it never occurred to me that the bike pictured in the webpage for the exhaust was yours.
Hahaha yea it is.

Old December 20th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #11
zdoc
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

Any pictures with the short can available?
zdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #12
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Looks good
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #13
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I wonder if they will give the option to existing Area P owners to upgrade their old QCs (order only header, midpipe, and hardware).
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #14
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoc View Post
Any pictures with the short can available?
Thank you all for the interest. We took a very rough picture during mock-up of the 12" long muffler. Here it is as compared to the standard muffler that comes with the race system (18"). Again, these pictures were taken during prototyping. The only difference on the website photo is that the mounting bracket will be finished in black satin powdercoat, and the mid-pipe will be a single piece cnc mandral bent tube (no welded sections).

On every first system production run, we will bring a bike back in to confirm everything fits as designed. So... there will another oppertunity for a lucky someone to get a long deal on the system, with free installation . While the bike is in here, we will do a production picture of the 12" muffler option mounted, the black satin finish on the mounting bracket, and sound bytes. As an added detail - All Area P systems now come with our new custom designed exhaust port gaskets at no extra charge .

Standard muffler that comes with the Race System - 18". Mounting bracket shown will be black satin powdercoat on production systems.

Optional muffler - 12". Rough picture during mock-up of the 12" long muffler.
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #15
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I wonder if they will give the option to existing Area P owners to upgrade their old QCs (order only header, midpipe, and hardware).
The race system is a clean sheet design and shares no common components (other than the exhaust flanges) with our other system(s). No components will interchange.

Old December 20th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #16
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryant View Post
On every first system production run, we will bring a bike back in to confirm everything fits as designed. So... there will another oppertunity for a lucky someone to get a long deal on the system, with free installation .
DIBS!!!

Ahem... yes. Anyways, I was pretty excited when I got the email this morning. Looks great, and I like that the decibel level still isn't terribly far above stock (I'm really not a fan of loud pipes, but I'd love some increased performance). This should be the perfect fix from dragging my stock pipe all over and scaring the bejeezus out of myself mid corner. Very cool. I'll definitely put this at the top of my list once I've recovered a bit from the holiday spending
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #17
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Kerry, you guys do amazing work! I am very impressed with the results and quality! I also really like the unique high-mount look!

Old December 20th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #18
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

Question
1. Sound Clips Soon? Or does it sound about the same to the standard?
2. Did you guys dyno the 12" version?
I'm glad this came out now because after Christmas I planned on buying just the standard but because this is $100 more and looks like it offers significantly better results I'll get this.
kingkang204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #19
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkang204 View Post
Question
1. Sound Clips Soon? Or does it sound about the same to the standard?
A - As noted above, will do when we check-fit the production system. Sound data is located on our website page. Exhaust tone is unique to this system. Deeper & lower frequency.

2. Did you guys dyno the 12" version?
A - Absolutely. As noted on our website page, it puts out less peak power with the shorter 12" muffler (1/2 hp). Overall tuned length is very precise on this system. The 12" muffler option also significantly increases the exhaust tone.

Old December 20th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #20
headshrink

Quote:
The race system is a clean sheet design and shares no common components (other than the exhaust flanges) with our other system(s). No components will interchange.
Ahhh, so the 18" muffler must have some differences to mine.

Old December 20th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #21
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Hey kerry. Can you do a dyno run with the stock airbox? Since pretty much all race orgs in the US require it to be ran.

Old December 20th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #22
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Ahhh, so the 18" muffler must have some differences to mine.
Interesting factoid - After lots of testing for tuned length, sound level and exhaust tone, the final muffler specs ended up almost the same as our C-14 system.

Last futzed with by kbryant; December 21st, 2010 at 12:59 PM.

Old December 21st, 2010, 12:56 AM   #23
kkim

will this pipe work without interference problems with rearsets?

if you need someone to test this out, you could always send me a system for test fitting and I'll get right back to you on it.

Old December 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM   #24
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
Hey kerry. Can you do a dyno run with the stock airbox? Since pretty much all race orgs in the US require it to be ran.
We did many runs with the stock airbox during the R&D process and it works very well. We also did many runs with modified stock airboxes and filters. As noted on our website, the key to taking full advantage of the Race System's design is opening up the intake. As far as most of the racing organizations requiring the stock airbox: there is still alot of interpretation to this rule. Some are more/less stringent than others. And some organizations are looking at relaxing those rules even further.

Old December 21st, 2010, 09:55 AM   #25
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Out of curiosity, how did the numbers compare with the airbox in place?

Old December 21st, 2010, 10:03 AM   #26
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
will this pipe work without interference problems with rearsets?

if you need someone to test this out, you could always send me a system for test fitting and I'll get right back to you on it.
Bless you my son for the offer. Somehow, I think once it reaches the Island, it won't want to find it's way back home.... We did leave as much room as possible within the routing design considering this. There is also some adjustability to the mounting orientation as well.

Old December 21st, 2010, 10:24 AM   #27
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
Out of curiosity, how did the numbers compare with the airbox in place?
Slightly better than our standard system. As noted on the above dyno chart and our website, the big advantage comparing apples to apples, is when the intake volume is opened. Then the new race system design really shows it's legs both in horsepower and throttle response. Though more complex than this, a reasonable analogy is that to take advantage of large tube, multiple step, merge collector designs, you need additional intake volume available to exploit said design. As a note, overall horsepower was not the only goal (although it was the primary goal). The Mid-High Mount design also has far more cornering clearance, as well as a deeper exhaust tone.

Old December 21st, 2010, 10:43 AM   #28
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

props to area p on the new design - looks great. very happy to see they went with a high-mount style i had originally inquired about for the standard system. kerry, i imagine a stainless steal 15" can w/ conical tip would not be a problem?
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 12:18 PM   #29
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
We did many runs with the stock airbox during the R&D process and it works very well. We also did many runs with modified stock airboxes and filters. As noted on our website, the key to taking full advantage of the Race System's design is opening up the intake. As far as most of the racing organizations requiring the stock airbox: there is still alot of interpretation to this rule. Some are more/less stringent than others. And some organizations are looking at relaxing those rules even further.
LOL i don't think cause Kerry told me to will be good enough justification if you get protested.

Old December 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM   #30
kkim

Quote:
Bless you my son for the offer. Somehow, I think once it reaches the Island, it won't want to find it's way back home.... We did leave as much room as possible within the routing design considering this. There is also some adjustability to the mounting orientation as well.
Well, my generous offer still stands. I would never think of not sending you back the system, but somehow, you may get a full stainless, quiet core system back in a possible/probable mixup when I box up it up for return.

Congrats on the new system design, looks like a winner.... and mahalo for the support you've provided for our 250 ninjas in the past and with your future products and endeavors.

Old December 21st, 2010, 01:12 PM   #31
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
LOL i don't think cause Kerry told me to will be good enough justification if you get protested.
Why not? Listen, I've been involved in racing a long, long time. Interpretation of the rules is part of pushing the envelope in all forms of racing. I'm not talking about cheating. I'm talking about understanding the wording and statement, then creating some ingenuity from there. Sometimes it's about having as much dirt on the others guys mods, as he has on you. And if indeed it's a "gray area", there's nothing to protest. The 250 class dealt with this on many occassions in 2010. I'll be interested to see the "wording" on many of the organizations 2011 rule books as they come up. We've actually been asked for input on one in particular.

Old December 21st, 2010, 01:16 PM   #32
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Slightly better than our standard system. As noted on the above dyno chart and our website, the big advantage comparing apples to apples, is when the intake volume is opened. Then the new race system design really shows it's legs both in horsepower and throttle response. Though more complex than this, a reasonable analogy is that to take advantage of large tube, multiple step, merge collector designs, you need additional intake volume available to exploit said design. As a note, overall horsepower was not the only goal (although it was the primary goal). The Mid-High Mount design also has far more cornering clearance, as well as a deeper exhaust tone.
Gotcha, gotcha. Yeah I was really just curious how much of a potential restriction it added.

Again, great job on this well-tested and quite unique system. I've never seen a high-mount can on a 250r before, and I they never really appealed to me until now, either!

Old December 21st, 2010, 01:22 PM   #33
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
props to area p on the new design - looks great. very happy to see they went with a high-mount style i had originally inquired about for the standard system. kerry, i imagine a stainless steal 15" can w/ conical tip would not be a problem?
Thank you. The option on a stainless steel muffler will only be in 12" length. The Flat Conical Billet End Cap is always an available option.

Old December 21st, 2010, 03:35 PM   #34
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
On every first system production run, we will bring a bike back in to confirm everything fits as designed. So... there will another oppertunity for a lucky someone to get a long deal on the system, with free installation . While the bike is in here, we will do a production picture of the 12" muffler option mounted, the black satin finish on the mounting bracket, and sound bytes. As an added detail - All Area P systems now come with our new custom designed exhaust port gaskets at no extra charge .
You're always welcome to borrow mine again... then could ship the new system over to Kelly

Old December 21st, 2010, 07:43 PM   #35
08ninja250
ninjette.org member

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

How much is it?
Colin #191 - Area P, Elka Shock, Woodcraft Clip-Ons and Rearsets, Attack Race Bodywork, BT 003RS, .700 Fork Springs, DynoJet Stage 2 and BMC High Flow Air Filter.
613 MOTORSPORTS.COM
08ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM   #36
zdoc
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

Price is in the link depends on the can. Will there be any special introduction price? I just ordered my k&n filter still need exhaust and jet kit
zdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 08:45 PM   #37
08ninja250
ninjette.org member

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

Im in the same situation, got a filter and jet kit, I thought I had bought an Area P on Ninjette from a user turns out it was a scam and he stole my $350 so ive been saving.... again... for one of these beauties
Colin #191 - Area P, Elka Shock, Woodcraft Clip-Ons and Rearsets, Attack Race Bodywork, BT 003RS, .700 Fork Springs, DynoJet Stage 2 and BMC High Flow Air Filter.
613 MOTORSPORTS.COM
08ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM   #38
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08ninja250 View Post
Im in the same situation, got a filter and jet kit, I thought I had bought an Area P on Ninjette from a user turns out it was a scam and he stole my $350 so ive been saving.... again... for one of these beauties
You and I both, by the same guy none the less... He got me for $290, honestly I hope that guy gets his one day because he deserves it.

After Christmas I'm hoping to have enough to buy the new race system along with the custom jet kit and and the 0990 air filter. Anyways, got to ride my ninja today and I'm excited to see what its like with about 6 more horsepower and 2 more ft lbs of torque!
kingkang204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM   #39
V2Neal
Bad-ass 250 racer

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r, ATK 605, Honda CR250R

Awesome work, and thanks for the efforts!

I WILL be getting one of these. Stupid competition ...

Anyone wanna buy a 1 year old slightly used, never down full sysytem?
CRA #28. Just wave as you go by!
V2Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:00 PM   #40
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08ninja250 View Post
I'm in the same situation, got a filter and jet kit, I thought I had bought an Area P on Ninjette from a user turns out it was a scam and he stole my $350 so ive been saving.... again... for one of these beauties

What was the user name? I presume Alex already axed the account, but I guess they could always open another account....

I was fortunate to have the opposite experience with a stand-up member here, but did a little homework first, due to the amount of risk involved. It would be great to have some sort of reputation rating system for sellers here(inspired by ebay), but that is likely more involved than practical on the technical/management end.